When you mention Pujols, Howard and A-Rod, you now have to mention Matt Kemp in that same breath! When the names of the top sluggers are called off, Matt Kemp is right there with the best of them as of RIGHT NOW! Forget the stats for a minute and use your eyes. We all watched Matt Kemp when he came up as a raw, raw, cock-strong slugger who hit a bunch of home runs his rookie year. We then watched his growing pains the next two years, but we all knew he was getting better, until now, when we suddenly realized that he has become that proverbial “superstar.” Matt Kemp the Bison, is now Matt Kemp the Superstar. Few players have his power, fewer have his glove, fewer yet have his speed and even fewer have his batting eye and hand-eye coordination. NO OUTFIELDER IN BASEBALL HAS ALL OF WHAT MATT KEMP HAS (forget about his girlfriend)!
This is the year when Matt Kemp explodes on the scene and is finally mentioned in the same breath with any All-Star in baseball. We have seen him grow. We have experienced those growing pains and now we get to experience the sheer joy he will be delivering every day. His parents must be proud. Matt has become a true Superstar. The scary thing (for other NL teams) is that Andre Ethier is also growing the same direction. He’s a different player, but he’s becoming that Superstar too.
This Dodger outfield might hit 100 HR this year!
Rants and Raves:
- Yes, the Dodgers lost 2 out of 3 to the Reds and their pitching currently sucks, but hold on, it will come around (preferably without Honeycutt). Be patient, it’s early – VERY early!
- Manny has a slight (allegedly) leg injury – just an opportunity for Anderson and Johnson to stay sharp.
- Anderson’s HR was nice. That’s what he brings to the Dodger bench!
- Don’t Panic – The Dodgers hitting is the real deal. The Dodgers pitching is fake. What you are seeing is not what it will be. Kuo, Belisario and Sherrill are still some of the best in the business.
- The Dodgers will continue to roll C-Bill out there, because (1) He’s that good; (2) they have no better options; (3) all of the above.
- WILD IDEA: Trade Billingsley to the Cubs for Carlos Zambrano and a minor leaguer (Cubs pickup Zambrano’s salary which is above C-Bills’). Rationale: Swap two pitchers who are both struggling.