Progress. I See Progress

Progress.  I See Progress

Clayton Kershaw was imperfect but pitched well enough to win.  It only takes a pitch “here or there” and he’ll not walk anyone.

Then our closer blew a save, but the pen came through with 4 innings of excellent pitching.  George Sherrill “righted his ship” with 1.1 innings pitched and Carlos Monasterios was impressive in his 2.2 innings in route to the win.  You can see him growing.  He might be growing into a starter – he has plenty of pitches.

The defense continues to bother me and poor defensive teams are ALWAYS a reflection of the coaching staff and manager.  Are you listening, Joe? ALWAYS!

I feel it coming together.  I’m sorry that you will have less to complain about, but the Dodgers are getting better.  Are you going to cut your wrists when they win seven in a row?

16 Responses to “Progress. I See Progress”

1. LADODGERDAVE says:

TROYFROMWESTVIRGINIA, saw you at the game today and was going to say hello but by the time I got around to the section you were gone….let me know if you will be there tomorrow, I would love a picture, you also made postgame television, nice blue beard!

friday night, ran into another dodger fan that sat a few rows behind me who wore a loney shirt, who stood up and chanted a loney song every at bat that was probably the funniest thing I have ever heard in my life, maybe singing is an understatement, more like screaming, the nationals fans were even chuckling throughout the game and anticipating it every at bat…it went a little something like “My favorite player has a first name its J-A-M-E-S, My player has a second name its L-O-N-E-Y, I like to see him everyday, and if you ask me why i’ll say, James Loney has a way with H-I-T-T-I-N-G” I wear a loney jersey and in my section alone, there were 4 Loney jerseys….ALOT of dodger fans in the DC area for sure…

Going back to Nationals Park tomorrow, still mannyless, it is a shame we wont see manny at all….hopefully Bills can turn it around..nice sigh of relief today, hopefully we can continue it tomorrow….

Just prior to opening this thread I was reading a couple of threads back. It was an understandable mistake, but the reference to “Justin Martin” should have been to “Justin Miller”.

I’m not sure one appearance means that Sherrill has “righted his ship”, but today, at least, he didn’t sink the Dodgers’ ship. He’ll have to do that a lot more often to gain my trust. He didn’t have that trust last year when he was pitching well.

I also was thinking that Monasterios is a candidate to start. I’ve actually been thinking that for a while, but wasn’ sure he was going to last long enough to get the opportunity. Now I at least have hope. A number of things caught by attention:

1. Impressive change-up, as always.

2. The ability to throw strikes with his breaking stuff. Since I didn’t see him in spring training, and because his outings have been so few since the season started, I don’t recall seeing his breaking stuff before today. I liked his curve, and also believe he threw what may have been a few sliders.

3. His fastball was the best I’ve seen so far, hitting consistently between 90-93.

4. Most impressive was his calm under fire. He appears to be a cool customer.

Finally, what exactly was Russell Martin thinking when he stole second with two outs, Ethier at the plate, and Monasterios scheduled to hit next? Did he even have a clue that he was taking the bat out of Ethier’s hands?

Getting back to my Russell Martin comment above, maybe he still thought Matt Kemp was in the game and hitting behind Ethier. If that was the case, he needs to pay attention.

Finally the Dodgers won a one run low scoring game!!!

Monasterios – The second best Dodger reliever. Leave him in the pen.

Actually Broxton pitched great for a Broxton who had not pitched in a game in a week.

WA 2-15 RISP – The Dodgers were verky lucky today. Now go win with skill.

He’s not the greatest outfielder on the planet, but Xavier Paul sure can throw. His hitting DeWitt on the cut-off is what made possible DeWitt’s throw to get Nyjer Morgan at third before Stammen scored. Without both those throws the Dodgers lose.

Just read that Vicente Padilla is going on the DL, and that Jon Link will likely be recalled for tomorrow’s game, pending permission to replace an injured player, since it’s less than 10 days since he was sent down.

Link is obviously not the pitcher who will be replacing Padilla in the rotation. Also, McDonald will definitely not be called up for that spot, since he is currently on the DL at ALBQ. No way that Monasterios will take his place in the rotation on Tuesday, since he pitched today. Elbert, Lindblom, Towers, Withrow, a deal etc., etc., etc.????????? Or maybe something completely unexpected. Can we buy back Stults from Japan?

I suspect that the Dodgers are bringing up Link in preparation for the DFA’ing of Ramon Ortiz when a replacement starting pitcher is added on Tuesday.

8. JDavis says:

I will cutt my wrist when they lose 12 in a roe. The only good thing thus far, Padilla going to the DL.

“The only good thing thus far, Padilla going to the DL.”

Of course it never occurred to you that Padilla’s ineffectiveness this year is the result of his injury.

X. Paul is just about 2 or 3 inches too short. That is about how close he came to at least two balls hit his way. One on the left field line, the other to left center.

Monasterios grew up a lot today. So did he in the eyes of Joe.

Brooklyn, I thought the same thing when Martin stole second.

Mark, I know this is a Dodger fan board, but you mention Kershaw’s performance today as a step forward —

I also noticed the other guy: Stammen. 7 innings, 6 hits, 3 runs/er, only 3 ks, but no walks. He held the Dodgers down.

I also noticed yesterday, the Nationals starter: Atilano, 6 innings, only 5 hits, 1 run. He had our number.

And there have been other young guns out there that are also excellent — at least facing the Dodgers.

11. Ty says:

Geeze, calm down Mark. We’ve been alternating losses and wins for a bit now. Do you “see progress” with every win? Is it gone with every loss?

12. mark says:

Everybody’s ERA dropped. If that’s not progress, then what is?

Monasterios and Sherrill looked very good. Is not not progress?

Maybe you have a different way to define “progress.” I’ll wait to hear it…

13. mark says:

Oh, you can win and make progress or lose and make progress, just as well, and you can win and not make progress.

The Dodgers won and made progress with pitching.

Is that difficult to grasp?

What “some of us” feel is this — Joe does not have the horses he needs to make a solid team. The Dodgers are now in modes of Spring Training all around the field.

With the income in from this team, with the base of players there — a real second baseman would help, at least 2 more real starters would help, and at least 1 in the middle pen would help.

In a match-up against fall opponents, the Dodgers are very iffy on paper.

We just want better . . . before it becomes too difficult.

The owner did not allow the moves to be made. Managing his playing talent and money as if he owned the K.C. Royals or Pittsburgh Pirates. He has forgotten who he is.

15. Mark Timmons says:

… sounds like the Phillies at the beginning of last season.

The pen has looked better. So, that’s progress I suppose. I don’t know how they could be worse.

Speaking of pens, the Dbacks back end keeps giving the game away. They have been outscored something like 23-8 in the 8th and 9th innings.

Roger is of course right. This team doesn’t appear to be one built for the long haul. Maybe if they still had $100M payroll? Oh well, those days are gone. Maybe we should re-hire DePodesta and tee up the moneyball program again. I don’t really care for the Geezer Model of the Sabean trained Collecti.