Some Dodger fans really seem depressed because certain sites or publications are not picking the Dodgers to finish 2nd or 3rd in the NL West (not all). Before I go any further, I do want to acknowledge that there is a correlation between what the national websites and publications predict and reality. The correlation is that if you go the opposite of what they predict, you will beat them HANDS DOWN every time. Want Proof?
- SI picked the Dodgers to finish 3rd behind the Diamondbacks and the Rockies.
- The Sporting News (who everyone seems to look down on anymore) picked the Dodgers to win and the Rocks finishing 4th.
- ESPN picked the Dodgers to win with the Rockies 4th.
- Athlon Sports picked the Dodgers 1st and the Rockies 4th.
- Athlon Sports picked the D-Backs to win and the Dodgers to finish 2nd.
- The Sporting News picked the Dodgers 3rd.
- ESPN picked the Dodgers 3rd.
It should therefore come as no surprise that many of the national pundits are picking the Rockies in 2010 with the Dodgers finishing anywhere from 2nd to 4th. If you take the opposite of what they say and pick the Dodgers, you will probably be right. Sometimes I think that the sportswriters who are around the club day-in-and-day-out get a little jaded and myopic. For instance, two of the most respected Dodger beat writers picked Russ Ortiz and Ramon Ortiz to win the 5th starter job, while this “idiot blogger” picked Charlie Haeger. Writers have no corner on predictions. They may have inside knowledge many of us don’t, but prediction-wise, they are no better than you or I. In fact, they are worse, if you take the opposite side. The look at what was, not what can be…
The photo of Tommy and Joe was taken at Camelback Ranch during the National Anthem.