Predictions? Forget it!

Predictions?  Forget it!

Blue Blood Brothers

Some Dodger fans really seem depressed because certain sites or publications are not picking the Dodgers to finish 2nd or 3rd in the NL West (not all).  Before I go any further, I do want to acknowledge that there is a correlation between what the national websites and publications predict and reality.  The correlation is that if you go the opposite of what they predict, you will beat them HANDS DOWN every time. Want Proof?

2009

• SI picked the Dodgers to finish 3rd behind the Diamondbacks and the Rockies.
  • The Sporting News (who everyone seems to look down on anymore) picked the Dodgers to win and the Rocks finishing 4th.
  • ESPN picked the Dodgers to win with the Rockies 4th.
  • Athlon Sports picked the Dodgers 1st and the Rockies 4th.

2008

• Athlon Sports picked the D-Backs to win and the Dodgers to finish 2nd.
  • The Sporting News picked the Dodgers 3rd.
  • ESPN picked the Dodgers 3rd.

It should therefore come as no surprise that many of the national pundits are picking the Rockies in 2010 with the Dodgers finishing anywhere from 2nd to 4th.  If you take the opposite of what they say and pick the Dodgers, you will probably be right.   Sometimes I think that the sportswriters who are around the club day-in-and-day-out get a little jaded and myopic.  For instance, two of the most respected Dodger beat writers picked Russ Ortiz and Ramon Ortiz to win the 5th starter job, while this “idiot blogger” picked Charlie Haeger.  Writers have no corner on predictions.  They may have inside knowledge many of us don’t, but prediction-wise, they are no better than you or I.  In fact, they are worse, if you take the opposite side.  The look at what was, not what can be…

The photo of Tommy and Joe was taken at Camelback Ranch during the National Anthem.

26 Responses to “Predictions? Forget it!”

1. Scoop says:

I haven’t seen anything from ESPN on this issue cuz I am not an “Insider”. Maybe you can enlighten me on what all these sites say about the NL West for 2010? I mean, you being an inside guy and all.

I did see an article from Pecota that said the Rockies would win it this year. In that same article it said the NL West has the lowest average payroll of any MLB division. Interesting. But, the Giants are outspending the Dodgers this year. Never thought I would see that.

I don’t want to toot my own horn this morning because my wife should be tooting it for me but did anyone see Hu’s play last night? I saw one up the middle play that should have been made and the routine play that he booted to end the game. Now in my opinion, these need to take place in the minor league. Can I get a Hell Ya from anyone? Mark you shouldn’t be calling Lawdog and a Shot of Haeger idiot bloggers, thats not very nice. Peace out

3. Scoop says:

Didn’t see it, but noticed in the box he got his 4th fielding error.

I also noticed he is hitting .290 and Green is hitting .147.

So, maybe neither of them are much good. I regurgitate, why do we need them both?

And please, do we need the visual of your wife tooting your horn?

4. Scoop says:

insert smiley face at the end of last sentence – I forgot how

Well Badger/scoop, Rory or whoever you are, if we have a non hitting defensive replacement infielder on the team, (Unless you feel Hu is capable of hitting .300 in the majors) who should we pick for a few short weeks before Torre brings up the 12th pitcher? We can look at what they’ve already done in the majors over the last few years because spring stats isn’t always a good measuring stick. Oh wait, no we can’t because Hu really hasn’t been up too much and when he was up, he couldn’t see the ball because of eye issues (Maybe he should make an appointment with Eyechart). Well this is a meaningless point anyway as you also state. Hu currently has zero value or the Dodgers would have traded him for some tea bags keeping Joe happy and from doing the stupid commercials.

Maybe we can trade Hu for Juan Castro? Or Fidel for that matter.

I am not wasting anymore energy on Hu, it’s up to him to take away the Totally Weak label. Andre turned around Ken and Mark last year so maybe Hu can change my mind.

6. Scoop says:

Well, Bill, and I am sure that is your real name……I share Martin’s dream of a board where the posters shall not be judged by name of their character, but rather the content of their post.

Hu cares what name is on the post? This isn’t personal in here.

Why in the world would I think Hu is capable of hitting .300 in the Majors? He is a back-up shortstop. If he could hit .300 in the Majors, he wouldn’t be a back-up.

Nick Green is a 31 year old with a career .239 avg. making a half million bones a year. Hu is 26, with virtually no ML experience (150 scattered at bats) but the last two years in AAA he has hit .295. I hear he has a good glove, but I really don’t know. My take is – you know you are getting a .239 ML hitter with Green, why give him a half million when you have Carroll, DeWitt and Belliard in your plans already and Hu as your AAA SS for the last two years? Your AAA shortstop had better have value or why is there? Hu is steering this ship anyway?

Oh yeah. Him.

I doubt Hu is going to change your mind. And I doubt Green is going to change mine.

If I can’t get a Hell Ya then can I get a Amen?

8. JDavis says:

Green plays better D stronger arm and was top prospect at onetime which means nothing

Badge,
    Who’s Martin’s Dream board anyway? I need a dream too.

Mike Scioscia’s Tragicillness didn’t watch last nights game or wrote this piece before and decided to post it anyway. Just don’t put Hu in for defense and I’ll be happy. If you keep a guy using a roster spot for defense, you should be able to trust their glove. Hu showed his true self last night and everytime I watch him. Totally Weak.

11. mark says:

I have never seen you drive a car Billy, so when I see you and if you are in an accident, then, based upon what I saw, I would say that you were a bad driver. That may or may not be true, but based upon what I saw, I would have every right to say that. But, I could be wrong.

You have every right to say that Hu is a bad defensive player, based upon a small sampling of what you have seen. But, you are wrong. There is NO QUESTION among people who have watched Hu for 7 years that he is an outstanding defensive player.

The question is – Will He Hit? That is the BIG question.

The question has already been answered about Green. No, he cannot hit, and anyone who thinks he’s a better defensive SS hasn’t watched them much.

Green may have a slightly better arm (and I said MAY), but that’s it!

MSTI nailed it!

12. mark says:

Me?

I wouldn’t have either on the team.

I would have kept Doug Mientkiewicz!

But between Green and Hu, how can you even think about Green?

13. mark says:

I have seen Hu look like doo-doo a couple of games this spring too, but his overall body of work far outweighs a few bad plays.

14. Scoop says:

Amen Mark.

Was that too late Bill?

15. Scoop says:

I saw some infield drills last Spring and Hu was doing magic tricks with his glove. Can he hit? eh, who knows, but he has been around the organization long enough to deserve a shot over an aging SS with a .239 career avg. who is coming off back surgery.

Hopefully, Furcal can stay in there, hit .280 for 700 plate appearances and none of this matters.

Is Russell Martin going to start Opening Day? That would be cool. We need him in there.

I guess we’ll see what Joe does. He’s a baseball guy that know’s more then us right? Well maybe not more then some of you. And Mark, if you saw me crash a car then you’re probably right about me being a bad driver. If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck then- you know.

17. mark says:

I would let Carroll be the backup SS ever 7 or 8 days and call us DeJesus or Hu if Raffy went on the DL. Otherwise, I wouldn’t keep a SS on the roster. Carroll can play there occasionally.

I saw DeWitt and Carroll taking ground balls at SS. They can play there in a pinch. You might as well keep 12 pitchers on the roster from the start. You know Joe will use them. What goodbye to Hu and Green. Amen

19. ray says:

Mark-I couldn’t agree with you more. I love the fact that the baseball writers/experts are picking the Rockies to win the west and the WS. We lose Randy Wolf and Orlando Hudson and we’re a 2nd or 3rd place team to some. Oh, and the people jumping off the Manny train is tremendous….makes me like him even more.

20. Erik says:

Wondering if anyone heard if there is something wrong with Andre? He hasn’t played in both Dodgers vs Angels games…. All other starters are playing.

21. Scoop says:

Bills with 3 walks, 6 hits and 6 earned runs in 2.2.

Not exactly ace stuff in his last tune-up.

Yoiks.

I haven’t read a thing about Andre.

Let the Chad Billingsley excuses begin. I’ll start.

It was just a tune up. Chad can’t wait for the real season to start. Me too Chad. Hopefully you will find some testicluar fortitude this season. Oh how you would have looked great in a Toronto uniform this year! Oh well.

My prediction for the year: I will root for the Dodgers every game and hope they win it all just like every year. My heart will never let me do anything else. My head says this team is walking a thin line between division champs and division chumps! A lot of what ifs. If the boys play to their potential (Martin, Loney, Furcal,Bills, Manny, I’m talking to you) we will be fine. If any of these guys struggle…we will be in for a long summer.

With all of that I can’t wait to see how it plays out! I am ready.

Happy Easter fellas, to you and your families!! Peace!

Interesting discussion re Hu v Green. However, the choice is actually even worse. The actual choice just may be between Russ Ortiz and Green.

24. Scoop says:

Belliard 0 for 5 with an error. He is ready.

Kuroda and Carroll did well today.

Russ Ortiz vs. Green for the 25th spot? It’s a throw up between them.

Not exactly a deep team we are starting with, but, let’s go.

25. mark says:

Joe let Carroll play SS today. That’s all he should need.

Green? NO!

Hu? NO!

Russ Ortiz? NO!

Hu? I mean Who? Doug Mientkiewicz!

Call him back, Ned!