He Is Who We Thought He Was

He Is Who We Thought He Was

Is He Who We Thought He Was?

Never mind that Vicente Padilla started on Opening Day.  That was just (you choose):  (a) a senior moment by Joe Torre; (b) a passive-aggressive shot by Torre to Dodger management that” if you don’t get me better pitchers, I’ll start a guy like this;” or (c) just a dumbass move.

Here’s the deal.  Vicente Padilla is who we thought he was! He is a guy who has 98 wins and 86 losses for his career with a 4.36 ERA.  He is who we thought he was. He is a guy who (in a good year) will win 14-15 games with a 3.50 to 4.50 ERA.   He is who we thought he was. In a bad year, he might go 9-12 or 6-10 with a 4.50 to 5.50 ERA.  He is who we thought he was. In other words, he’s a typical number 4 or number 5 starter.

Actually, I’d like to think of him as our number five starter, because I believe that if Joe Torre gives Charlie Haeger the ball every 5 days, he will win 13-15 games and pitch 200 innings with a sub 4.00 ERA.  That’s a number 4!

How stupid is it to start your Number 5 starter on Opening Day?  That’s a rhetorical Question…

I was watching the MLB Network and when asked if the Dodgers should have traded for an ace, Tom Verducci said they already have one on the roster (meaning Kershaw).   While that is probably true, the bigger question is whether it will happen this year.  With a couple of new pitches and more maturity, it could happen as soon as TODAY.  Clayton’s start against the Pirates will give us a preview of whether he might be ready to take the next step.  Whether he pitches a No-Hitter or gets shelled today will not give us the entire answer, but it will give us an idea is Clayton Kershaw is ready to be our ACE! I think he is who we though he was!

I noticed Billingsley’s mechanics were much smoother at Spring Training, but Verducci broke them down even more and you can see that last year he was flying open and falling towards 1B, as much as 3 feet.  This year he is much smoother and actually ending up about 3-4 feet from where he was last year.  Mechanically he looks very sound, and if you look back on Billingsley, he has had one bad half of a season in 3 and a half seasons!  Yet, everyone only seems to remember his struggles last year.  Three seasons of excellent work and one bad half season…  and all we remember is that bad half season?  How stupid is that?

Chad is 47-30 in his career with a career 3.55 ERA.   Chris Carpenter has a career 3.87 ERA.  Adam Wainwright (who is 3 years older) has a 3.17 ERA.  Cole Hamels who has about the same major league tenure as C-Bill has a career 3.67 ERA.  The great Roy Halladay (9 years older) has a career 3.42 ERA.  Listen up:  When a discussion of great pitchers is raised, Chad Billingsley is in that discussion!  Chad Billingsley will be back with a vengeance.  The best of C-Bill is yet to come.  He is who we thought he was!

For as much as he has been injured, Hiroki Kuroda has been consistent with his ERA in that his first year and second year were nearly identical.  His MLB career ERA is 3.74 as he has battled injuries.  If healthy, he can be very, very good.  Let’s hope that he is who we thought he was.

My parting shot is that the Dodgers’ much maligned rotation might just end up being their strength.  Time will tell if they are who we thought they were!

Rants & Raves:

• Tony Jackson of ESPN/LosAngeles writes about Clayton Kershaw’s evolution into an Ace.
  • Carlos Monasterios was a bright spot Monday – I think he might fill a nice role for us.
  • Ronald Belisario will be back by April 20th – Guaranteed!

23 Responses to “He Is Who We Thought He Was”

1. Scoop says:

Haeger 200 innings huh? You really believe Torre will let that happen?

They are who we think they are. OK, I’ll bite:

Ace Padilla – 10-10 160 IP 4.5 ERA

Chad Billingsley – 13-8 198 IP 3.75 ERA

Clayton Kershaw – 14-8 192 IP 3.25 ERA

Hiroki Kuroda – 10-8 160 IP 3.85 ERA

Charlie Haeger – who the heck knows

I have a feeling Torre will be pressing management for a different #5 early and often. Just a feeling. I also believe that Joe feels the same way I do about this team – the pen is the strength and if he can get 6 out of all of these guys he will got to the pen in the 7th more often than not. And that is why I give none of these guys 200 innings.

That’s what I think. Anyone else?

• steevo17 says:

I think everytime you add snide, little (as in small) remarks like: “Ace” and similar recent comments, you really cheapen your opinion. I just feel disappointed with you sometimes…oh well. Life goes on.

• Scoop says:

steevo – every team around the Majors hands the ball to their ace on Opening Day. We give the ball to Padilla and you don’t think that deserves just a bit of sarcasm? Look at the result – and are you surprised? If so, you need to pay closer attention.

As for your opinion of me, it really doesn’t matter now does it, because as you say, life goes on. And I can easily say I have been around much longer than you have. Sarcasm? You’ll get there.

SpokaneBob said yesterday: “Not to get political, but in general I find that people of the progressive/liberal side of things tend to be more negitive and less happy with many things in their life. I find folks on the conservitive side generally more optimistic and happy. does not apply to everyone, but if the shoe fits……”

Interesting Bob, but I think that is when conservatives are in power (like under Bush), yet, when they are out of power — they continue to lie, cheat, shake the fear words — like what is happening now. I think that a guy out in your state was arrested for threatening to kill a progressive senator over the health care bill. Ah yes, Limbaugh’s “war” on Washington continues in the trenches.

Gee, I hope this guy is not a Seattle Mariner’s fan! Bad for baseball.

3. Scoop says:

Limbaugh is an example of what is wrong with this country. He is as devisive as they come. He has no real interest in improving our nation. But, he is not really important, he is just a celebrity big mouth. And he is not a Dodger fan so, who cares what he thinks – right?

I see Repko found a home. Maybe the people back there can actually coach him up and teach him how to hit. All he needs to do is hit .250+ and with his defensive skills, he has value. I wish him luck.

4. troyfromwv says:

When Padilla’s right he has wicked stuff like he showed last season. I was pleasantly shocked by the velocity of his fastball, and command of his breaking pitches. I still think he’ll have a stellar season, a full season not pitching half his games in Philadelphia and Texas.

Watch Jason Repko come alive for the Twins. Especially those diving catches. He and Hudson just might bring them some great leather.

Wonder if Hudson pushed them to sign him? Interesting.

I wonder who’s doubling in here as two different people? McCheap$$$ and the IP tracker also thinks the other name could be MS?? Who might be pissed at Mark for something? I will have to watch the writing styles of a few possibilities. Anyway, it’s interesting. I don’t have time to add anything today, some might say I never add anything.
    Scoop is a turd???? Ken is flunking Ethier again? Roger is looking for money in the mail??? And Mark has called in the forces to find the real McCheap$$$. Haeger and Lawdog are waiting for the #5 spot to roll around and Romo is waiting for the season to begin. This could be a really good week after all.
    Go Blue

• Ken says:

Ethier LOB = 5 = Mr. Nonclutch! $6 mil a year requires achievement. Effort is for spring training. Speaking of spring training, the players still look bored. Or maybe they were not bored in spring traniing, maybe they were not prepared. Time will tell. I will wait until May 1st to decide.

As I said last year, I could tell whether Kershaw was going to pitch well and whether the pitch would be an effective strike based upon were he landed and how far he fell off to 3rd base. The same is true about Bills. My question is WHY can’t Martin and Honeybutt see the same thing?????????? As Tom seaver said many times, if he could not fix his motion after two pitches he new that he should not even be on the mound. That is an attribute of a HOF pitcher. When the Dodger pitchers get bombed it usually is because they have changed their arm slot, rotation and/or landing point. Padill sure was falling off to 1st base alot on Monday. As I said last year I would pull Martin from the game if he refused to confront the pitcher about their poor mechanics and after the 2nd time he confronted the pitcher I would expect him to shrug his shoulders while looking at the dugout thus telling Torre and Hoenycutt that it is time for YOU to earn your salary because the pitcher ain’t listening to me!

The same garbage happans every year. After awhile management needs to decide whether to trade players or fire coaches. June 1st is my official deadline for management to manup and make decisions about coaches and players. The way to help an insecure player to become secure is not continue their delusiol, it is to make them face the truth. Stop babying the players. Make them face the truth and deal with their lack of abilities so that they can begin to change.

And as for politics I may be the only person that you know that practiced law for a marginal cult, and therefore understand the dark side of BO better than any of you ever will.

7. A Shot of Haeger says:

Bill… you have no idea how much I’m waiting for the #5 spot to come around. He should’ve started Haeger opening day.. and not told anyone until 20 minutes before the game started. I guarantee you Pitt wouldn’t have scored 11 runs.

Still my favorite Dodger site. I just don’t contribute,[nobody wants my opinion anyway] anymore because everytime I open my mouth I get in trouble. I am a MS, but Bill I’m not Mcheap$$. Peace Man.

9. Scoop says:

I value your opinion Michael. And if you don’t agree with me, that’s ok, other dopes don’t either. (insert smiley face here)

Where is ldog?

Hudson off to a slow start, but he is hitting between Span and Mauer. Man, that has to be exciting for him.

We are watching you Haeger. You know, if Knuckles fails, you will be held responsible.

New day. Time to kick start this Dodger rally thing. I expect 10 runs and a shutout.

10. Mark Timmons says:

Roger,

It’s against the law to kill a senator? If he’s a lawyer, is that waived?

11. A Shot of Haeger says:

Scoop, Badger, Nostredamus, Whoever you are… I’m willing to accept the consequences of my actions

12. SpokaneBob says:

To address the question of why Torre started Padilla on opening day I can think of two reasons. One, it sets up Clayton to start the home opener and two, for the rest of the season Kershaw and Bills will not likly match up with the other teams number one guy.

13. SpokaneBob says:

Does anyone else agree that Torre put Martin in the two hole to force him to cut down his swing, go the other way and play small ball instead of swinging for the fences?

Mark, he is a she, I believe.

But that is only in the South where it is waved.

15. Scoop says:

What about the goofy side of W ken? You ever look at that from a lawyers perspective? And then there is the Dick. Looking into his affairs could twist the hardest of lawyers.

Good observation Bob. Martin in the two hole could work very well for him and the Dodgers. I still prefer a lh hitter with speed and bunting abilities, but Martin is a much better choice than Kemp.

You know Bob, I assume you are from Spokane since that is in your name – it wasn’t you was it? Nah, it was some wing nut yabbering yokel from Yakima.

Patty Murray is an interesting politician mover, and I don’t believe she is a lawyer. She was grass roots, member of the PTA, worked with disabled veterans – not the kind of thing lawyers do.

We need more like her, not less.

16. mark says:

OK , she can live.

17. Scoop says:

Thank you.

I sure hope Zito’s first game isn’t an indication he has regained his old form. Lincecum, Cain, A’s Zito, and Sanchez looks pretty darn good. And I sure hope Bumgarner takes a few years to figure it out.

Giants with the best pitching in the NL West? No. Say it isn’t so. Not the gints.

I guess the old guezzers are already very tired and therefore Torre is rumored to be giving Manny and Blake the day off after a day off in early April. Wow, sounds like Torre has really adopted the tortise approach to the extreme.