Categorized | Jared Massey

Never Write Another Word About C-Bill

Never Write Another Word About C-Bill

… because my old buddy, Tony Jackson hit this one out of the park:  Billingsley Learning To Let Go. Whatever needs to be said about Chad has now been said by Tony, and it justneeds to play out.  In a nutshell, Tony summarizes Chad’s struggles like this:

“Billingsley’s biggest problem, the one that has plagued him at various times since he reached the majors in 2006 and the one that probably is the biggest reason he hasn’t fully morphed into the staff ace he was projected to be, is that he appears to have trouble letting go of his mistakes.

“There were times in the middle of a game — and it might not have just been when a guy drove in a run, but maybe it was a guy leading off an inning with a double, something like that — where I would think maybe I should have used a different pitch selection,” Billingsley said. “Then maybe you try to overthrow or try to do too much. That’s the mental part of it. But the only way to get better is by doing it, by being out there on the mound. You can’t simulate it in the bullpen or by throwing batting practice. You have to be out there facing hitters in a game situation.

“You can’t dwell on it. Sometimes, you throw your best pitch and a guy gets a hit and drives in a run. You can’t do anything about that now. You just have to bear down and go after the next guy.”

Read the article and you will see  that Chad is working on his problem.  Tony sums it up like this:

“Billingsley grasps these lessons easily enough. But Dodgers officials won’t have their questions answered for a few more weeks, when they get the chance to see whether he can actually put those lessons into practice in the heat of a major league game.

If he can do that, he has the potential to be a true, front-of-the-rotation ace.”

Just because C-Bil had a bad 2nd half of last season doesn’t mean he’ll pitch the same way in 2010, anymore than the fact that Rafael Furcal having a good conclusion to his season means that he’ll do well in 2010 – you have to look at both players “body of work” and their body of work suggests that they are capable of a very good 2010.  How much would that mean to the team?  Raffy and Chad returning to All-Star Status?  Think about it.  Will it happen?  Don’t know!  Are they capable – YES, they are!

Never mention Chad again until the All-Star Break!  Tony said it all!

Dodger Notes:

• Don’t put much stock into Charlie Haegar’s bad outing – I wouldn’t expect that Knuckleball to dance for a couple of weeks!
  • MSTI thinks James Loney will have a big year.  So Do I!  It’s his time.
  • It turns out that the most important pitcher in camp might be Sandy Koufax who is working with all the Dodger pitchers for the week.  How huge could this be?

I don’t think most of you realize how good this version of the Dodgers can be.  I am sure that the National Media, including Plaschke and Simers don’t.  I do think that Jackson and Weisman do.   We may be in for the ride of our lives.

35 Responses to “Never Write Another Word About C-Bill”

1. Scoop says:

Yes Mark, I am familiar with the story of the Hundreth Monkey, but I think using that as your analogy is false. It’s a cute story but it isn’t true. I would refer you instead to the theory of noetics. Monkeys learn from watching their elders. A national emotional reaction can be measured. Now if you are saying that Dodger fans are like monkeys, we can have a discussion on that if others are willing to do so.

I was talking to a friend the other day and we were discussing how the heck the McCourt’s were ever granted ownership of a team as valuable as the Dodgers. (there will be no mention of the divorce here as it has been made clear that topic is off limits) It made no sense really, as he had already been turned down by other leagues, including MLB, for what appeared to be obvious reasons. This friend, and I will allow him to claim ownership if he chooses, suggested that other owners in the National League didn’t want a guy like Eli Broad to own the Dodgers because it would allow an unfair advantage to the Dodgers. McCourt, and his inexperience and lack of real money, would not allow the Dodgers to have a Yankee like payroll that the L.A. market, and a rich owner, could clearly support. So, Selig, a National League owner (and that one still puzzles me) said okey doke to a guy who was blatantly underfunded – assuring the National League that the Dodgers would not, and in fact could not, expand payroll to Yankee like dimensions. And, it would appear this theory can hold up to examination.

Anybody care to comment?

As for Billingsley, I have him penciled in as the only Dodger pitcher that will log 200 innings this year. He will win 16 games, and hopefully, finally, be a factor in post-season.

2. mark says:

Scoreboard!

If the Dodgers get to the playoffs this year, it will be something NEVER accomplished in their illustrious history. Say what you will about McCourt, but NO OTHER Dodger owner has ever done that. Look at George Steinbrenner’s record when he first bought the Yanks. He almost went bankrupt a few years before that.

Michael Jordon is buying a basketball team. He doesn’t have deep pockets. Carl Lindner bought the Reds, and he had deep pockets but wouldn’t spend the money.

We have a good team – one that will probably make the playoffs. We haven’t won the whole thing for a while, but there have never been a time like this: Our youngsters will be peaking about the time our next wave starts: Gordon, Withrow, Lindblom, Lambo and company. There have never been a better time to be a Dodger fan, regardless of how you feel about McCourt.

Camelback Ranch is the best facility in all of baseball for Spring Training and Minor league Operations.

Dodger Stadium is much improved from before McCourt bought the team and our Scouting and Front-Office Staff is as good (maybe better) than any in baseball).

We have a very young and talented team and our next wave of youngsters in about 2 years away.

Eli Broad didn’t get rich by throwing money away. There is no evidence he would turn the Dodgers into Yankees West. I haven’t bothered to do the math, but I am sure that Yankees have spent Double or Triple than most Top Teams over the past 10 years – it has not translated into double and triple the success.

I think some of you are making yourself miserable with your dislike of Frank McCourt. Frank McCourt may own the Dodgers, but he’s not the Dodgers. I prefer to focus on the product, not the producer.

Insofar as positive thinking: If EVERYONE had a positive attitude and went to the games with that attitude and cheered with that same attitude, are you telling me the players wouldn’t feel it and feed from it and win an extra game or two? Positive thinking does have an effect! That’s part of the reason teams typically have a better home record.

3. ken says:

2010 – It’s the Pitching Everyone.

Can anyone accurately explain all of the rules of grammar regarding the use of effect versus affect.

4. Scoop says:

Well here is some math for you;

Steinbrenner has won 11 pennants and 7 World Series titles. The Yankees are far and away the most valuable franchise in MLB.

The Dodgers are good. They are not as good as the Yankees. And that isn’t negative thinking, it’s pragmatic.

If raucus fans and rooting for your team actually meant a hill of beans, nobody would beat the Cubs or the Mets.

ken is right. It will be about pitching. Do we have enough? Remains to be seen.

I (like Mark) am not a McCourt lover but I do defend him and think he is getting a bum rap. He has this organization heading in the right direction whether some of you choose to accept it or not. Some of you pine for the Yankees approach but you forget that the success for the Yankees didn’t happen overnight. High payrolls do not guarantee rings. Steinbrenner has laid plenty of eggs before he had success. If Frankie holds on to the team through the divorce I see our future as very bright. When the Dodger network comes so will HUGE payroll, until then we can be and will be competitive with proper scouting and a decent $100 million + payroll. Some people love to complain, though I get that. Even if Broad or Cuban bought the team you would find a reason to bitch.

As for C-Bills: I have learned my lesson not to speak of or criticize Chad. Only other writers can (i.e. Steve Dilbeck) . Let this be a lesson to all the members here. Just because there is a link to an article on this site, DOES NOT give you permission to agree with the writer and express your opinion. This activity will cause this site to be shut down.
    BTW: Rick Honeycutt(Cheerios) was on MLB Homeplate on XM this morning and said Chad’s problems were confidence related and lack of trust in his bad leg after his cramping issues last summer. He said Chad needed better conditioning and MENTAL TOUGHNESS. I will be sure to pass on to Mr. Honeycutt that further discussion of Chad Billingsley is not welcome.

Good day

6. Scoop says:

“Let this be a lesson to all the members here. Just because there is a link to an article on this site, DOES NOT give you permission to agree with the writer and express your opinion. This activity will cause this site to be shut down.”

Funny. I trust you are being facetious with this.

I don’t like the Yankees. Never have. I don’t like the fact they can do what other teams cannot possibly do and they are doing it because MLB doesn’t see the value of a salary cap. They are, like so many of the rich, above all the laws by which the unwashed must abide.

Having said that, if the Dodgers were to partake in a similar paradigm I can say with a degree of certainty I would be less judgmental about it.

7. mark says:

Romo,

You can say whatever you like about Bills.

Tony Jackson said everything…

We just have to wait and see.

DRomo is probably correct when he says:

“When the Dodger network comes so will HUGE payroll”.

I have been on record that I preferred that the Dodgers had a deep pocketed owner willing to spend whatever is necessary. Had that been the case, the deal with News Corp. would never have been leveraged the way it was, and the Dodgers might already have established a regional network, given that they would never have agreed to the terms that precluded the establishment of such a network for about 10 years. The price paid for the Dodgers would certainly have been higher, but deeper pockets could have afforded it.

The ability of the Yankees to spend what they do is largely the result of there ownership stake in the YES network. Same for the Red Sox (NESN) and the Mets (SNY). Once the Dodgers have that revenue stream in place, losses on baseball operations will be more than compensated for by a regional network. In fact, winning becomes even more imperative in such a situation, since winners can command higher sponsorship fees.

I haven’t read the Bills articles yet, but even before doing so, I am confident in his ability to bounce back. I previously mentioned that I thought his leg fracture last year cut into his offseason workout regimen, which in turn contributed to his second half meltdown. It appears that that may have been the case (among other things) based on this in DRomo’s post above:

“Rick Honeycutt(Cheerios) was on MLB Homeplate on XM this morning and said Chad’s problems were confidence related and lack of trust in his bad leg after his cramping issues last summer. He said Chad needed better conditioning and MENTAL TOUGHNESS.”

Mark, WELCOME BACK! Or is it WELCOME BAAAAAAAAAAACK? (smile).

9. Mark Timmons says:

“Steinbrenner has won 11 pennants and 7 World Series titles.”

IN 37 YEARS! How many did he win in his first 6 years?

Apples & Oranges!

Scoop, I would rather have the model of the Red Sox. Even though they rely on Sabermetrics more than I care for, they evaluate and grown their own talent while spending when they have to. They never hold on to a player too long and are not sentimental when it is time to cut them loose. In the past 5 years they have more rings than the Yankees and they have done it by not being foolish with contracts. It is not outspending that wins, it is spending wisely! Also they load up on pitching. They have taken chances to find a diamond in the rough with the likes of Smoltz, Penny, Wakefield, when no one else would. Sometimes they pan out, sometimes they don’t but look who is there every October making things interesting! They too have a sweet TV deal. Also have you seen ticket prices in Boston or NY for that matter? Wow!!

Mark, your buddy Tony Jackson wrote a nice article but he isn’t breaking new ground. Everything that he has said is not very original and has been brought up by others and even lowly posters here. Chad Billingsley is the only thing holding Chad Billingsley back. He could be an ace or he could be a bust. It is up to him. I have rooted for him every time I have seen him. He is a very talented kid. But We all know there have been a lot of very talented kids that have lost it very quickly due to “stuff” between the ears that went wrong. Let’s just stop the excuses (not you, but everyone) he either performs or he doesn’t. Period. The article points out he is in his 5 season now. It is time. It points out that he gave some great 6 inning performances last season. 6 inning performances? Situations dictate certain pitching changes I understand, also baseball these days live by pitch counts but I hope we can come to expect a complete game or two from a kid like Chad. He is built like a horse, he should be a horse!

Chad needs to prove himself this year. There will be no broken leg excuses or conditioning issues is year. It’s time to play ball or go home. If Chad continues to lead the league in Wild Pitches and melt downs, then Romo becomes the Logan White of LA Dodger Talk.

As for baseball, I would still like to see a salary cap put into place. I hate that the Yankees and Red Sox can spend like drunken sailors but on the other hand I wish that the Dodgers could add more pieces every year. A salary cap would give baseball more of a level playing field and teams would have to depend more on scouting and development programs. We might have to go a few years without baseball in order to get this put into place since the baseball union would never allow it.
    I’m like most Dodger fans out there that wish there was a salary cap and also wish the Dodgers could spend like drunken sailors. BUT I hate the Yankees and Red Sox for doing it.

The discussions in here have taken a new level lately. Great job……………… :smile:

12. Scoop says:

Good stuff in here today.

Yeah, I like the Red Sox model too DRomo. They had to get it together to contend with the Yankees, and they have done a good job. Take a look at their payroll, and they are doing it with attendance levels that can NEVER match the Dodgers or Yankees. They are at 101%. The Dodgers are at 82% the Yankees at 87%. And nobody draws better than the Yankees on the road. Also, as was mentioned, the cable deal that was set 7 years into the future (Fox – gotta love ‘em) handcuffed the McCourts. Plus, Frank didn’t know what he was doing at first – remember his flirtations with moneyball – then on to the Sabean metrics. I wish I could say I have as much confidence in the minor league system as some of you do, but I don’t see any Dodger prospects tearing it up in the minors or showing up. The McCourts came in to this with a very strong minor league base – and those guys are who are now in the starting lineup.

I hope you all aren’t misunderstanding my references to the Yankees. It isn’t because I like them, it is because I see what can happen to an unencumbered franchise. The Dodgers should be able to do whatever they want to do. There is no salary cap in baseball. This is Los Angeles, not Kansas City. I would love to be able to say I am a believer in the ability of Frank McCourt to rule the National League with a Steinbrener type f u attitude, but how can we when we know his wife has his jewels in a vice? I wish him luck. He is going to need it.

13. Scoop says:

this place needs an edit capability……..

but I know you guys already know this…………………

What I think a salary cap would do in MLB is force organizations to spend money in the development and scouting departments of their franchises. That would be great for baseball. It is the way it used to be and the way it should be. You would probably see a lot more players sticking with the same teams for longer also. There would be less ridiculous contracts out there to chase.

We should never hold a player’s salary against him. You know the argument if my boss offered me a raise based on my good year I would take it! The players owe it to themselves and their families to earn it while they can. Remember the average career is rather short. What does a guy do at 30 yrs old when he can no longer play ball and has no work experience? You had better have a nest egg. But I digress.

It is all a moot point though because they will never have a salary cap in MLB. The Union would fight it tooth and nail. They may go to an expanded luxury tax, that penalizes the NY’s and Boston’s of the world but then you should also implement a minimum salary for a team as well. Right now there are bottom feeders like Pittsburgh, KC, and Florida that rake in revenue sharing profits that exceed what they put into their club. That isn’t fair to the owners of the major market teams. It is MLB Welfare.

The bottom line is the teams with storied franchises like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, KC, etc. come to spring training every year with the best case scenario giving them a .500 season record. That isn’t right. Baseball needs to address that. We lose fans in big chunks of this country because there are only a handful of teams for the last decade or more that have a real chance to win. That is what the NFL has done right, they leveled the playing field. I don’t know what the fix is exactly but I still love this game. And thank God I am a Dodger fan. We are in the mix every year.

Anonymous, Who on this roster was a Dan Evans guy?

Have a take, don’t suck!

Good night now!

Rack me…LOL

16. Scoop says:

Who is this anonymous guy? He has a point, but, his delivery is rather acerbic.

No attempt to be political here but, I am a union guy. I do think many of them need to recognize where they went wrong – but, to the point – if there was ever a union that needed to be busted it is the MLB Players Union. They have accomplished what they set out to do – establish free agency – ok, you did it – now recognize what else you have done. MLB needs to follow the other professional sports leagues and get a salary cap in place. And while they are at it, eliminate guaranteed contracts. Signing bonuses? Sure. But to handcuff a franchise with guaranteed contracts is not good business when you think about it. Getting paid for doing nothing is a really stupid business model.

OK, important guy like me has important things to do. A bucket of balls awaits.

Scoop I too am a union man. I agree the Players Union has too much power. But I think it is wrong to begrudge a player for taking the salary a owner has offered. If they could not afford the contract they would not offer it, agreed? These are smart businessmen we are talking about. A bad business deal should lie squarely on their shoulders.

As for guaranteed contracts I think they are fair. If you follow the road of the NFL where a guy can be cut at any time it will lead to hold outs after 1 good season. Also it really isn’t fair to the player to enter a contract that is so 1 sided in the owners favor. A player who enters a contract for 4 years and relocates his family ought to expect at the very least to draw that full paycheck for at least 4 years. If he is injured working for that owner/ballclub isn’t that fair not to kick him to the curb? Jason Schmidt for example shouldn’t have been penalized for Ned and Frank making a bad decision…as much it pisses me off to say.

Lastly, revenues are as high as they ever have been in MLB. The players deserve their fair share.

18. Scoop says:

I would love to have guaranteed money, whether I produce or not. So no, I do not blame the players. This is America, we all grab what we can. Self regulation is a farce, if there is no mechanism in place to stop it, then by all means, back the truck up. And, a contract is a contract. All I am asking is that players be paid to produce. If you are injured, then you should have some kind of disability insurance. You and I don’t get guarantees and never did, except for my time in the military. We can get fired. They cannot. Jason Schmidt was paid around $45 million – how much of that was actually earned? How much was covered by insurance? I am asking because I really don’t know. If it’s up to me, every contract would have a strong base salary with incentives. I don’t want to pay a Dodger this year, and for the next three years, for some great years he had in San Francisco. And let’s face it, one good year and these guys are set for life.

I do understand that revenues are high, and that is why it is the way it is. I guess we have t.v. to thank for that, and if you read the Zimbalist papers, ticket prices, though seemingly high, have actually just kept up with inflation. And there are players that are actually worth what they get paid because they put butts in seats. Manny is one of them. Schmidt and Jones are not.

Up on top, Scoop refers to a conversation with a friend on ownership. Here is what I told him . . .

“I think (just an opinion now; no facts) that when MLB was looking to approve the then new owner of the Dodgers — the other NL West owners talked to the commissioner and told him not to let a George S. type owner make the purchase — because they could not catch up with that kind of money spending. Thus, keep the teams in the West with similar type financial backing.

I agree with your pointing out the attendance where ever the Yankees go. If another owner had been chosen — the Dodgers would not have traded away that catcher Sananta (sp), picked up at least 2 or 3 starters over the past several years, a really good third baseman, and even a better SS. Also, other owners would have 2nd base covered with a key player right now.”

To continue . . . ownership today, and for the past decade or two, is really different from past generations. Families use to own teams and run them on the cheap. Now, it takes new spring training sites and builds, new stadiums or total updating of older ones. Out of site salaries. Out of site draft money paid out. Dealing with drugs and all of those effects. TV contracts and so much more.

As I said the other day, just wait for a year or two down the road when: Ethier, Broxton, Loney, Kemp, Kershaw, Billingsley, Martin, and a few others will demand those out of site $$$$ or walk or be forced to trade. If ownership (McCourt) stays at the $95 million area — gone baby gone. Those 7 players above will ask for for $99 million or more just for those 7. No way.

20. lawdog says:

If they continue to improve over the next couple of years, I’d expect those 7 to cost more than $14 million per–on the average. Expect the “Big 7″ to cost us more like $112 million, barring major injury of head problems.

21. lawdog says:

Stults and Haeger are both out of options. One or the other will probably make the squad along with Montasario while the other walks.

I’ve got a bad feeling about this. I’d keep Haeger and try and trade Stults for a younger prospect but I don’t think Torre cares for knuckle ball pitchers. Haeger will probably win 16 games for the Red Sox after he gets designated for assignment and walks.

22. Ty says:

That’s the problem with knuckleballers. Too unpredictable

lawdog, thanks for having your adding machine so that we can know just where we will not stand with those lovable players.

Haeger to the Red Sox, the Red Sox love those kind of players.

I do not have the time right now to look up butterfly pitchers, but I have the feeling that most of them (over the years now) did not really make their mark until in pro ball for many many many years.

24. lawdog says:

That’s what Charlie Hough said in an interview about Haeger, Roger. In fact, that’s the reason why Hough is so impressed with Haeger. He said no knuckleballer in history developed a dancer as good as Haeger’s that early on. He can throw it for a strike and only rarely spins one up there to be launchd into the upper deck in deep center.

But I don’t think Torre is comfortable using someone who throws one for anything more than mop up relief. I hope I’m wrong, but my gut tells me we will lose Haeger because Torre is afraid to pitch him when a game has meaning.

25. Harold says:

Kkuckler ball pitchers seem to emerge at about age 28/29. Hoyt Wilhelm (29),Wilbur Wood (29), Tom Candiotti (28), Tim Wakefield (28), Phil Neikro (28), Joe Neikro (22), Charlie Huff who was successful as a Dodger reliever became a reliable starter in Texas at 34. Most didn’t come into the league as kids although Joe Neikro(22) and Wilbur Wood(21) did. Age 25 seems to be an age for several of them – Candiotti, Wakefield, Phil Neikro, Charlie Hough. Hoyt Wilhelm came in at age 29.

Actually they are quite predictable. Wilhelm ( 143 wins mostly as a reliever, ERA 2.52), Wilbur Wood ( 164 wins, ERA 3.24), Tom Candiotti (151 wins, ERA 3.73), tim Wakefield (189 wins, ERA 4.33),
    Phil Neikro (318 wins, ERA 3.35), Joe Neikro (221 wins, ERA 3.59), Charlie Hough (216 wins, ERA 3.75) And, they pitch forever.

Knucklers give the staff a different look, never seem to get injured
    and provide stability on a staff for years. If we can use these knucklers as examples, Charlie Haeger is ripe to start his big league career now. He will be 27 in September. However, I also don’t think Joe Torre really likes the knuckeball so Charlie Haeger would have to be exceptional in ST or we lose him.

GO DODGERS!!

26. lawdog says:

Thanks for those Stats Harold. They back up what I felt to be true, but I’ve never gone and done the work necessary to compile the information.

You have to throw thousands of knucklers to really get it grooved and then once you’ve mastered it you have to keep throwing it regularly or you’ll lose the groove. Based on what he showed us at AA and in the brief time he pitched during his cup of coffee last year, I think Haeger has mastered it. Now he has to throw it regularly against live batters to keep it mastered.

It’s so easy to spin it a little, push it or let it go at slightly the wrong point in the delivery and you see it hit for a home run or walk a hitter. If the Dodgers are going to use Haeger’s talent they have to be willing to risk an occasional tater and walk and let him keep pitching. To sit him on the bench and only use him when the game is already out of reach once every 5 weeks is to waste a perishable item by letting it spoil.

I don’t think Torre realizes how good Haeger’s stuff was at AAA last year.

But adding a dancer pitcher to a staff that throws as hard as the rest of our pitchers do (for the most part, anyway) should make all of them, including the knuckle ball pitcher that much better. Remember how we brought Pedro Martinez in after Candiotti had thrown dancers for 7 innings? Made his 97 mph heater look like 107 mph. Either use him as a starter or a set up relief pitcher and you’ve really got something (if you bring Broxton in after he’s pitched.) But you’ve got to use him regularly so he gets confidence at the major league level and keeps his dancer “grooved”.

“Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”- Eleanor Roosevelt

27. lawdog says:

I think it’s about 50-50 that we even get to 90 wins this year. Our offense is probably barely good enough to keep us that competitive if our pitching is there. But I don’t think our pitching (starters) are going to be as good as last year. We will miss Wolfie.

Our pen will once again be our strength. I’d love to see both Gagne and Broxton down there throwing gas at the end of the games.

With some of the youngsters elevating their game a little more, and the old retreads (Blake, Belliard) playing as well as they did last year we probably have enough talent to make the playoffs, at least as a wild card. Once you get into the play offs, anything can happen.

And I hope Torre is smart enough to use Haeger as the 5th starter/long relief guy instead of bringing back a retread like Weaver.

Mark Twain said that when he was 16 he thought his father was the biggest fool on the planet. Later, when he was 23, he was astonished at how much his father had learned in the last 7 years.

okay – I am convinced. Ink Haeger in on the pitching roster for opening day.

That is one down and 12 to go. At this point Joe and I are looking to break camp with 13 arms for the first 22 days. Then take a look.

Garrett Anderson is a Dodger. ????

30. Erik says:

So Giles and Mienti are out?

31. A Shot of Haeger says:

No. I think there just stockpiling people. He has a minor league deal just like Giles and Eyechart…. it doesn’t hurt to look at him and see if he has anything left. I’d be very surprised if Giles or Anderson make this team. I’m a firm believer in signing as many minor league deals as possible. You never know if someone will surprise and the Dodgers have has real luck the past four or five years in finding retreads with one more year in them

32. Erik says:

I would be more shocked if Giles made it over Anderson. Anderson in my opinion has more left in the tank.

If Garrett Anderson can play as well as he did last year, he can be a valuable bat off the bench. Probably better than Mientkiewicz or Giles. Xavier Paul, who I like, can’t be happy about this.

1. [...] View full post on LADodgerTalk.com – Get Your Daily Dodger Juice, Dodger News and Dodger Rumors [...]