Ken’s Dodger Prospect Report

Ken’s Dodger Prospect Report

Periodically the Dodger management lets us know implicitly which of the young players are possible or probable future major league players. Two of themethods are (1) the players sent to the Arizona Fall League, and (2) the players invited to the Dodger Development Program. In my opinion the players sent to AFL and not invited to DDP are marginal prospects who will never make the 25-man roster. The Stats cited below are based upon current information available from the Dodger MLB official website including the level at which they are currently assigned. The following describe my thoughts regarding these players and how they have performed this spring.

Low A:

Ethan Martin – 20 (DDP Only) – He has pitched one inning in the Major camp, while the Dodgers needed extra players due to the Taiwan trip, while giving up 2 hits and one KO with an ERA of 0.00. Good performance for his age. I am convinced that he will become a MLB pitcher.

Aaron Miller – 22 (DDP Only) – He has not pitched in the Major Camp this spring. I am not yet convinced that he will be an effective MLB pitcher.

Devaris Gordon – 21 (DDP Only) – He has played in 2 games in the Major Camp this spring and has had 2 ABs with no hits. Average performance for his age.  I am convinced that he will eventually become at least a utility player in MLB.

High A:

Eric Krebs – 24 (AFL Only) – He has not pitched in the Major Camp this spring. I am not convinced that he will ever become an MLB pitcher.

AA:

Chris Withrow – 20 (DDP Only) – He has pitched one inning in the Major camp, while the Dodgers needed extra players due to the Taiwan trip, while giving up 0 hits, 1 HBP and 3 KOs with an ERA of 0.00. Very Good performance for his age.  I am convinced that he will become an above average MLB pitcher.

Russell Mitchell – 25 (Both AFL & DDP) – He has played in 4 games in the Major Camp this spring and has had 8 ABs with 1 hit.  I am not yet convinced that he will become even a utility player in MLB.

Andrew Lambo – 21 (Both AFL & DDP) He has played in 3 games in the Major Camp this spring and has had 2 Abs, 2 BBs with 0 hits. Average performance for his age.  I am not yet convinced that he will become more than a 5th outfielder in MLB.

Justin Sellers – 24 (AFL Only) – He has not played in the Major Camp this spring. I am convinced that he will never play in the MLB.

AAA:

Joshua Lindblom – 22 (DDP Only) – He has not pitched in the Major Camp this spring. Apparently he is being stretched out in Minor Camp in the hopes that during 2010 he will be come a dominant starting pitcher at the AAA level and content for the starting pitcher spot in 2011. However, do not be surprised if he is brought up to the Bigs in July due to an injury or in September to give the bullpen a rest. I am convinced that he will become an above average MLB pitcher.

Kenley Jensen – 22 (DDP Only) – He has not pitched in the Major Camp this spring.  I am convinced that after a couple more years at AAA he will become an average MLB pitcher.

Brent Leach – 27 (DDP Only) – - He has pitched 1 2/3 innings in the Major camp, while giving up 1 hit, 2 BB and 2 KOs with an ERA of 0.00. Average performance for his age.  I am still not convinced that he will ever become an average MLB pitcher over an entire season.

Travis Schlitling – 25 (Both AFL & DDP) – He has pitched 2 innings in the Major camp, while giving up 2 hits, 1 BB and 1 KO with an ERA of 0.00. Average performance for his age.  I am still not convinced that he will ever become an average MLB pitcher over an entire season.

Ivan DeJesus – 22 (DDP Only) – He has played in 7 games in the Major Camp this spring and has had 6 ABs with 2 hits and 3 BBs. Good performance for his age.  I am convinced that he will eventually become at least a utility player in MLB.

40-man Roster:

Carlos Monasterios – 24 (DDP Only) – He has pitched 5 innings in the Major camp, while giving up 2 hits, 1 BB and 3 KOs with an ERA of 0.00. Good performance for his age.  I am convinced that he will become an average MLB pitcher and may make the Dodger 25-man roster this year as a reliever.

Jon Link – 26 (DDP Only) – He has pitched 2 innings in the Major camp, while giving up 0 hits, 0 BB and 1 KOs with an ERA of 0.00. Average performance for his age.  I am convinced that he will eventually become an MLB pitcher for at least one season.

Javy Guerra – 23 (Both AFL & DDP) – He has pitched 2 innings in the Major camp, while giving up 1 hit, 2 BBs and 1 KOs with an ERA of 0.00. Average performance for his age.  I am not yet convinced that he will ever become an MLB pitcher.

AJ Ellis – 28 (DDP Only) – He has played in 9 games in the Major Camp this spring and has had 15 ABs with 4 hits and 5 BBs. Good performance for his age.  I am convinced that he will be a solid backup catcher in MLB.

Lucas May – 24 (DDP Only) – He has played in 2 games in the Major Camp this spring and has had 2 ABs with 1 hit and 0 BBs. Good performance for his age.  I am not yet convinced that he will become a solid backup catcher in MLB.

Travon Robinson – 22 (DDP Only) – He has played in 3 games in the Major Camp this spring and has had 2 ABs, 2 BBs with 1 hit. Good performance for his age.  I am not yet convinced that he will become more than a 5th outfielder in MLB.

Nice to see that all of the pitching prospects currently have an ERA of 0.00!

Posted by Ken

Dodger News from Mark:

• Tony Jackson of ESPN/LA.com writes about the candidates for the 5th Spot and that James McDonald is not part of that competition.  I think it’s likely he could be headed to AAA.
  • Jon Weisman also writes about the same thing.
  • Travyon Robinson was sent to minor league camp, but he was impressive.  This guy has a shot at being a starter in a year or two.
  • Russ Ortiz stats looked better than he pitched on Wednesday.
  • Carlos Monasterios looks like a lock, so far..

About Ken

Ken is a professional working in multiple disciplines who has participated in various sports from elementary school through post intercollegiate level. He may be the only athlete in intercollegiate sports history to have started as both a middle blocker on an intercollegiate volleyball team and as a hook on an intercollegiate rugby team during the same season. He has been a Dodger fan since youth and now regularly watches over 150 Dodger games per season.

16 Responses to “Ken’s Dodger Prospect Report”

1. Andrew Wagner says:

I normally love this site and agree with alot of the posts, if not all the comments. However, this post seems like a waste of time for the reader and for Ken. Not yet convinced that Aaron Miller will become an effective MLB pitcher? Why? because the Dodgers didn’t have him pitch in big league camp? He’s only been in the system for 6 months. What do you expect? Convinced that Dee Gordon and Dejesus Jr will become at least utility players? What kind of analysis is that? The only way these guys don’t become at least utility players in the bigs is if they quit the game or have a leg amputated. Every single prospect could become MLB utility players at least, that doesn’t tell you anything about their ability right now. Not yet convinced that Lambo or Robinson will become anything more than 5th outfielders? Why? Because they aren’t taking Kemp/Ethier/Manny’s spot this year? Is any of this based on Ken actually seeing these guys play throughout the year in the minors, or just on the fact that they haven’t hit 400/5/20 so far in the spring? Im not saying that every one of these guys will become superstars, or even that 1 of them will. I just don’t see the point of this post. Why not just post a list of stats for all prospects currently in Big League camp or their stats from the AFL and leave out Ken’s opinion, or lack thereof. There is no analysis other than what Ken thinks on a whim. By the way, Linblom traveled with the Dodgers to Taiwan where he threw 3 shutout innings and is being considered for a spot on the 25-man out of spring training. I am sorry if this is coming off as rude, but to call this a prospect report is a stretch.

2. Andrew Wagner says:

sorry for the rant, and the fact that it came out pretty negative. I just don’t see the point in predicting a players future based on 1,2 or 3 innings. For example, Ethan Martin threw a scoreless inning and allowed 2 hits…conclusion: likely an average MLB pitcher. Kenley Jensen hasn’t pitched in big league camp, and has only been a pitcher for about 6 months, after being converted from catcher…..conclusion: likely an average MLB pitcher. Really? I would really hope that you would compare Ethan Martin and Kenley Jensen based on actual scouting reports and pitching history rather then what appears to be a gut feeling. Just my two cents.

• Ex-resident says:

Hey now, better nut diss Ken because he is one of the smartest people Mark has ever met. Just sayin

3. Scoop says:

I read somewhere that 1 in 20 A players ever get a sniff of the Majors, so what anyone does there doesn’t mean a whole lot to me. Get to AA and do something there, and at least you have trade value. Trade value used to be important to the Dodgers, but I am not convinced it is anymore. With the direction ownership is headed, every one of these players mentioned has got to be considered prospects for THIS team.

And like Ken, I am not convinced when it comes to most of them – especially guys that are already in their mid 20′s and haven’t done squat at the big league level.

I think most of the prospect lists we read elsewhere have it right. We have maybe 2 guys in the top 50. We had better do better in the coming drafts.

We heard the other week that Logan said the Dodgers key young players ARE young and mostly in “A” ball — and by next year the baseball world will know of them.

Looking at a few innings on TV of spring games — I think that Kemp, Ethier, and Loney are about ready and just getting their bodies in shape.

Not sure of the others in the field. Blake had a few good at bats. DeWitt seems that he wants the job at 2nd.

Manny is Manny, I hope he can have some pop in the bat now that he is clean. Furcal, I will have to watch later in the week and next week when I am there.

5. mark says:

I don’t look so much at stats as I look at skills, and right now, we have some very young players who have great skills. Chris Withrow’s skills are obvious, but so are Ethan Martins, Josh Lindblom’s, Nathan Evoaldi’s and Andrew Lambo’s. One in 20 players may sniff the majors but barring injury, all of those players will.

Aaron Miller has pitching ability beyond his years. While not an ace, he has #3 written all over him. I dare anyone to watch Dee Gordon and say he won’t make it. Trayvon Robinson and X. Paul will be at least #4 outfielders.

Guys I am not sold on are Lucas May (not a good receiver), AJ Ellis (I love his work ethic and defense – I just don’t think he can hit), Kyle Russell (I hope I am wrong) and James McDonald (as a starter).

I know that the game today demands that a catcher be able to be a big hitter, or at least try to be a big hitter.

Yet, years ago, a number of fine catchers were catchers first and #8 hitters second. Clubs carried a guy because of his glove. They let the other position players do the hitting. He that guy moved a runner over a base, a sac fly, or took a walk for the team, great. If he hit even .245 or .220, fine — just call a good game.

If Martin is out for a couple of months or cannot even come back to the old Martin, the Dodgers will live with Ellis, and if they have to, trade later.

But for now, I choose to root Ellis and May along. ((( but can someone call the Indians and see if they will take Blake back for our original catcher )))

7. Scoop says:

We have some young hitters under team control for a few years, and after that, I don’t see anyone on the immediate horizon taking their place. Hopefully we can keep them all, but guys like Ethier and Kemp will demand huge contracts and there are many teams out there that will come after them. I just don’t know about the young minor league hitters, but it looks to me like the Dodgers intend to stay competitive with pitching, speed and defense. Like the old days.

8. steevo17 says:

I am reminded of the early 70s when I look at our present roster and it’s potential. Sprinkled with veterans and powered by youth still trying to find an identity.

Kemp and Ethier are the face of the Dodgers. Just like Garvey and Sutton were 40 years ago. We are ahead of the curve as far as I’m concerned. You can’t ignore the last 2 years, reaching the NLCS with our young roster is an accomplishment. This is a roster that will only improve as it gets younger. Soon Manny, Furcal, Kuroda and Blake will move on. In their place I see more than capable talent, with players such as; Robinson, Gordon, Lambo and DeJesus, as well as pitchers like Withrow and Lindblom, on the way.

Kids like Monasterios, McDonald, Elbert and Paul are set to contribute now, or at least sometime this season. Our depth is very good at most positions.

This is a good time to be a Dodger fan…I’m very pleased with our roster right now and anticipate many victories in the near future.

9. mark says:

Manny 2 run Jack in the first!

I believe Lyons said that the pitch was over the middle on the inside, where Manny likes and kills it. Pitch location for almost every hitter is a key to do they even have a fair chance to hit it or now.

Anyhoo, nice to see Manny jump all over it.

11. Scoop says:

“Could that be because the speedy Kemp was on base and they gave him a fat fastball?”

Yeah, I am sure that’s it. If Kemp hits second, Manny will have 60 home runs.

Manny can still hit the thigh high fastball over the inside middle of the plate. So can I.

I am more impressed with DeWitt getting two more hits. He has 11, (8 of them are singles but that’s fine) he also has 5 BB and a .493 OBP. 17 days to go. Is it possible this kid hits his way into the starting lineup?

Scoop – I agree that the pitchers are obviously better then the position players. Maybe there are enough pitchers in the minor league system to trade some of them for position players. We will see.

I am glad to see so many players competing so well for the 2010 25-man roster. When Ned has difficult roster decisions in late March the Dodgers usually have a good bench.

AW – Please switch to Root Beer late at night!

• Andrew Wagner says:

Ken…I don’t drink. Thanks for addressing my questions in regards to your post though. Really made things clear for me!

13. JDavis says:

Who’s are future 3b Dewitt or somebody else
    Thanks

1. [...] View full post on LADodgerTalk.com – Get Your Daily Dodger Juice, Dodger News and Dodger Rumors [...]