Holy Crap! Stults Goes To Carp

Holy Crap! Stults Goes To Carp

Carp can taste like crap, but in this case, it probably a good deal for Eric Stults, who is allegedly going to the Hiroshima “Carp” (not “Crap”).  He most

Holy Crap, I'm a Carp!

likely will nearly triple his salary, and get paid for being a solid, if not spectacular starter.  For whatever reason, Joe Torre never trusted him or gave him a real chance.  Maybe Joe was right, but in the end, this will hopefully be good for Eric.   Goodbye Eric!  We hardly knew ‘ya, although it seems like you have been around forever.

Today’s Lineup:

1. Xavier Paul, RF
  2. Jamey Carroll, 3B
  3. James Loney, 1B
  4. Reed Johnson, LF
  5. Ronnie Belliard, 2B
  6. Nick Green, CF
  7. A.J. Ellis, C
  8. Chin-Lung Hu, SS
  9. Josh Lindblom, P

With Nick Green in CF, you are seeing part of the reason he’ll probably make the club.

15 Responses to “Holy Crap! Stults Goes To Carp”

If you can’t be bothered to give Doug Mientkiewicz his release for three more days because you’re terrified that Garret Anderson may wake up with a bad case of osteoporosis, then you should want to hold on to Stults for as long as you can.

Appears that the Dodgers have replaced their prior year SS fetish with an OF fetish.

1 Padilla

10 Sherrill
    11 Broxton

12 Martin
    13 Ausmus

14 Loney
    15 DeWitt
    16 Belliard (Trade Bait?)
    17 Furcal
    18 Green (First one Demoted)
    19 Blake
    20 Carroll

21 Manny
    22 Kemp
    23 Either
    24 Johnson
    25 Anderson

26 – 39 Minors 14 Players
    40 Kuo – 15 Day DL
    41 Repko (Released unless Kuo goes on 60 Day DL)

Others – Belisario – Inactive
    60 man DL – Wade

First pitcher added – Belisario

Ken, thanks for finally figuring it out for us. That way I did not have to type it out. Sorry, keyboard it out.

Lindblom was hit very very very hard in the first inning. I could not stand to watch more, so I went out and pulled spring weeds. But he is still in there pitching the 5th inning.

So he gave up 8 hits in the first 4 innings. Of course, the Dodgers could have scored a bunch of runs and have him, say, 9 to 3 after 4. But, the Rockies are serious this year. They have the manager of the year.

5. Harold says:

I know Stults, as a professional player, has made much more than I ever did as a teacher, plying my trade for 35 years. It took me 30 years to gross a million dollars. His career will be much shorter than those of many professions and I think it will help add to his famly’s security if he can have a few years at MLB or Japanese league pay. His pay is relative to other baseball players, not to mine, so I am pleased he might be able to enjoy a few years at a higher level, not AAA, and enjoy pay at a higher level. He has paid his dues.

6. steevo17 says:

Please give the ongoing eyechart debate a rest…he’s ONLY a LH PH. His damaged wing won’t allow him to play in the field, he is a very limited bench player who, the very second Garret Anderson was signed, had to know his days in Dodger Blue were limited. End of story.

Well one week left and there is still some mystery as to the final roster. I think the pitching staff is pretty much finalized now with Stults being sold off.

My current staff:
    Padilla, Kershaw, Billingsley, Kuroda & Haeger as starters. Broxton, Sherrill, Troncoso, Monasterios, Miller, Weaver & Ramon Ortiz in the pen.

The starting lineup is set (in my mind) also:
    1. Furcal SS
    2. Kemp CF
    3. Ethier RF
    4. Manny LF
    5. Loney 1B
    6. Blake 3B
    7. DeWitt 2B
    8. whoever catches…Ellis for now, unless Martin is ready.

Ausmus (C), Carroll (IF), Belliard (IF), Anderson(PH/OF) & Johnson (OF) off the bench. Thats 13, because I’m only keeping 2 catchers and I have 12 pitchers.

Nick Green is a non-option…with a .192/.276/.231 split. Belliard has had a very disappointing spring, but I think he sticks based on his 2009 performance and Torre’s apparent trust in him.

Hu is an intriguing situation though. His trade value might be just right to get a deal done now…before he slips further. His offense was lackluster this spring, but his defense was solid. Here’s a good article on who just might be interested in him:

DODGERS IN 2010!!!

The lead story on AOL is by Jay Mariotti, titled:
    Court Room Ravages Regal Franchise r

For most baseball teams, Opening Day arrives next week. For the Los Angeles Dodgers, it came Monday, in a southern California courtroom, where the future of a famed franchise is playing out in a tabloid tragicomedy that could overwhelm everything that happens on the field this season at beautiful Chavez Ravine.

As Hollywood would have it, the Dodgers are a family that is being wrecked by a divorce. Frank and Jamie McCourt, who bought the team six years ago and quickly made themselves the celebrity faces of the organization, appeared in their own municipal McCourtroom together for the first time in a farce that could destroy the credibility they built and undermine ownership’s capacity to maintain a competitive major-market operation. After successive National League West titles, the mission should be how to win a World Series championship. Instead, the payroll has been sliced drastically to $83 million, the front office didn’t seek a No. 1 pitcher in the offseason, Hall of Fame manager Joe Torre has suspended talks about a contract extension and, worse yet, all the hope and positive buzz that should accompany the start of any season has been replaced by gossip-page smut.

Did Jamie have an affair with a team employee, as Frank claims? Is Frank lying about his net worth to undervalue what he might owe her, as Jamie claims? Why does Jamie require a whopping $988,845 a month in support, including $10,417 a month to pay her assistant, as Frank claims? Is it true Frank negotiated a pre-nup agreement that guaranteed him full ownership of the team, or does she still own 50 percent of the Dodgers, as Jamie claims?

“They lived in seven lavish homes … they flew in private jets … they had hair stylists come to their house every day. Every need, every want these people had was met,” her lawyer, Dennis Wasser, said in Los Angeles County Superior Court while arguing Jamie’s right to a larger settlement and her one-half share of the team. “It’s not our province to say, ‘That’s too much, that’s too little, who lives like that?’ ”

Across the land, legions of stunned Dodgers fans beg to differ, figuring it is indeed their province to ask a legitimate question: What the hell is going on? With every vicious volley, the understandable concern is that the McCourts, no matter how the conflict turns out in the wash, will be unfit financially and professionally to run a franchise that, for decades, was as stable as any in sports thanks to the leadership of the O’Malley family. Last year, the Dodgers asked for a $150 million loan, even though they are estimated to be worth more than $730 million. More suspicious is the post-separation claim by Frank McCourt’s lawyers that his net worth is merely $163 million, a significant falloff from September of 2008, when his own financial statements valued his worth at $834 million amid Jamie’s claim that the couple was worth $1.2 billion. Either way, something is very amiss. If McCourt is lying about the numbers, how can Dodgers fans be sure he isn’t lying about the financial state of the team? And if his net worth truly has dropped roughly 80 percent in little more than a year, why does he own the franchise to begin with — and isn’t it a matter of time before the on-field product crumbles as it did in San Diego, where the Padres became a bare-bones outfit after the divorce of owner John Moores and his wife?

What should worry Dodgers fans is that the player payroll, which peaked at $120 million two years ago, has been reduced by almost $40 million. Business has been good — Forbes says the annual revenue is around $250 million — yet the Dodgers are spending less this season than the mid-market Minnesota Twins, who just handed $184 million to superstar catcher Joe Mauer, and the divisional rival San Francisco Giants, whose revenues were about $50 million less than the Dodgers. Keep all of that in mind when you hear Sorrell Trope, one of Frank McCourt’s attorneys, suggest in court that the entire empire might be flimsier than we ever thought: “These people have lived their life on borrowed money. They’ve been spending more than $5 million per year, but you can’t just continue to borrow money unless you have a way of paying it back. At some point, it has to stop. The party is over.”

“These people have lived their life on borrowed money. … At some point, it has to stop. The party is over.”
    - Sorrell Trope, attorney for Frank McCourt The October party, too.

The embarrassment of riches boggles the mind. Jamie McCourt, who made $2 million a year as the team’s CEO, controls eight homes from California to Cape Cod and says she has $4 million in savings. According to Trope, she uses one mansion in L.A. for “swimming” and another as “a shack she uses to store furniture.” A Vail condo, Trope says, goes empty because Jamie doesn’t ski. Yet, she wants to maintain her extravagant lifestyle, claiming the couple generated $2.3 million in monthly income the last five years, prompting Trope to say, in a line that could be out of a movie, “It was attributed to Marie Antoinette that when she was told people in the streets were rioting because they had no bread to ‘let them eat cake.’ ”

Jamie and her people countered that Frank’s luxurious lifestyle hasn’t changed, saying he recently splurged at the Super Bowl in Miami — yes, he was at the Playboy party on Saturday night, for what it’s worth — and dropped $80,000 on a Caribbean vacation. “Mr. McCourt desires to continue the lifestyle while trying to erase Mrs. McCourt from the Dodgers, from the marital lifestyle,” Wasser charged.

Said Frank in court documents: “I think it was a very comfortable, very nice and very family oriented (existence), and we had a lot of nice things. I think it became an out-of-control, unsustainable and very uncomfortable lifestyle.”

So, um, how do you plan to pay Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp in a few years?

Oh, and what about the $19 million in legal fees the McCourts are expect to spend? That would have been a nice head start in the race for, say, pitcher Roy Halladay, who instead was traded from Toronto to Philadelphia and signed a long-term contract that will continue to make the Phillies the NL’s team to beat. When Torre named Vicente Padilla, a No. 3 starter at best, as the Opening Day starter, he said, “You don’t have a No. 1.” Chad Billingsley, who looked ready to nail down the ace role in the first half last season, collapsed in the second half. Clayton Kershaw is talented but young.

So, after the Giants added bats to a formidable rotation and the Colorado Rockies made another late charge to the playoffs, it’s possible the Dodgers won’t reach the postseason despite the emergence of offensive stars Ethier and Kemp and lethal closer Jonathan Broxton. Don’t be shocked if Manny Ramirez is traded at midseason, which will save more money.

McCourt continues to urge his fan base to ignore the legal proceedings and dream about a championship. In this ugly case — did you see the reported allegations that he hasn’t paid income tax in six years? — that’s much easier said than done. “The vast majority of it has nothing to do with baseball,” he said. “The fans know, I believe, where I stand in terms of wanting to bring a world championship to Los Angeles. They know where I stand in terms of what has been accomplished since I have owned the club. They know where I stand in terms of investing in Dodger Stadium and their fan experience. And I’m going to continue to do those things.”

But hasn’t the major damage been done? And hasn’t the Dodgers’ true-blue reputation taken an unprecedented hit? “I firmly believe in taking the high road and the long view on things and my image and reputation will be fine,” McCourt said. “I’ve lived my entire life that way. I’m not going to get into the back and forth of it. I’ll leave the (divorce) process to the lawyers to deal with.”

That’s what should worry Dodgers fans. By the time the attorneys have finished the wicked crossfire this summer, the franchise could be in shambles, in need of a new owner, a new manager and a new image. I’ve heard of many elements that can sabotage a baseball season.

But Marie Antoinette?

“He has paid his dues.”

As a teache, so did you. And so did I, until Prop 13 was passed and I was released. Oh wait, not released, told I was not going to be re-hired, because I was a specialist and the district could not afford a specialist anymore. If making a few million before he is 30 is not enough to kick-start something else, then shame on him. I got a question for you – how long does a Major League player have to be on a roster to qualify for retirement benefits, and what is the minimum monthly payment? You might be surprised when you look it up. It’s nice you are worried about a professional baseball player, but, no need to be.

“End of story.”

I doubt it.

Nick Green. Why? Keep an extra arm and let the utility guy utilitize. Utilificate? Be a utilitarian?

9. Harold says:

Badger – I don’t know anything about the MLB pension plan other than it is the best in pro sports and has lucrative benefits. I expect it might even be better than mine as a retired teacher. LOL.

I wasn’t worried about Eric Stults, but moreso pleased. I think he got jacked around for quite a while. We have guys on our roster who shoot themselves in the leg, take PED’s, have a DUI, yet it was almost like Eric was a leper. His margin of error was so small. He seems like a fine young man and I am pleased he might be able to further his career at a higher level than AAA in Japan.

I am pleased also the team made the deal and got something, in cash, in return, rather than lose him on waivers. Now what about Repko?

GO DODGERS!!

5150 for the McCourts

I hope Stults pitches well in Japan. I hear players do like playing over there. My son has a college teammate and friend that is playing pro basketball over there and he loves it. I think he is making around $175K but am not sure about that.

A player has to be on a Major League roster for 45 days, and the minimum monthly benefit is $1,000.

I don’t care for Mariotti either but he nailed that article. Sounds like he has been reading the same information as I have been.

Crazy on the loose. Indeed.

12. lawdog says:

The McCourts. Jeeze Louise! I promised my sainted mother that I would never tell anyoe “I TOLD YOU SO”. So I won’t do that now…

BUT I TOLD YOU SO!!!

As far as the release of Minkieweeniewitz goes, I find this hard but I have even worse news for you all. IMA SCRUB, a McCourt “hiree” to bring fresh Champagne and Caviar to their lounges at Dodgerworld as well as their twin Malibu homes has not only been given the sack, but turned over to immigration authorities so that he will be deported back to Tiajuana and the McCourt’s will not be required to pay his wages. Said Frankly, “I’ll need that scrarch to pay the penalties on just a few days of one of the years I neglected to pay our wonderful government what I owe them for my share of the American Dream”.

Even as he spoke these words, McCourt was looking desperately for a place he could shelter those few dollars and avoid the taxman even for such a pittance.

While his back was turned, the Screaming Meanie grabbed the bills from his hand and ran down the Santa Monica pier into a boat which waited at the end to take her off to some undisclosed hideaway and used to pay her driver for one last tee shot off the tee of love…

It could have been Hudson and Wolf!!

If Repko is released before opening day, he will not get his arbitration-fueled salary of $500,000, but rather 45 days termination pay, or $122,951.