Camelback Ranch – The Roster Continues To Change

Camelback Ranch – The Roster Continues To Change

In what really comes as no surprise, Jo Torre announced that Doug Mientkiewicz will not make the team.  His days were probably numbered when Garrett Anderson was signed.  Joe

Doug Mientkiewicz Leaving Camp

expressed interest in keeping Doug at AAA in case he is needed later in the season, but Joe also understands that Doug wants to play in the majors.  The end result is that Mientkiewicz will take a couple of days off to decide what he wants to do.  As we speak, his agent is speed-dialing and spamming every other major league club, looking for a fit.

What it all means (pick one):

1. The Dodgers will carry 3 catchers – Martin, Ausmus & Ellis – Doubtful;
  2. The Dodgers will keep Hu or Green – Unlikely; or
  3. The Dodgers will keep 12 pitchers – Most Likely!

What’s your opinion?

Manny is sporting a T-Shirt that says “I got 99 problems, but my swing ain’t one.”

Today’s Lineup:

1. Furcal SS
  2. Kemp CF
  3. Ethier RF
  4. Ramirez LF
  5. Loney 1B
  6. Blake 3B
  7. DeWitt 2B
  8. Ausmus C
  9. Haeger P

Substitute Martin and Padilla in the last two spots and that is probably our Opening Day lineup.

28 Responses to “Camelback Ranch – The Roster Continues To Change”

1. Erik says:

With the mass of pitchers they want and the ones out of options I would guess 12 pitchers will be kept. Now which 12.

Padilla
    Kershaw
    Bills
    Kuroda
    Heager

Broxton
    Sherril
    Trancoso
    Monsteros
    Ramon Ortiz
    Russ Ortiz
    Weaver.

Stults gets traded or takes weavers spot.

2. Harold says:

I don’t think both Weaver and Russ Ortiz will be on the opening day roster.

Too bad about Doug M. He is one of the good guys but truthfully his playing days are numbered. With a lack of power and a lame wing he could not expect to take the spot. If the team felt he could they would not have signed Anderson.
    Doug would make a good coach IMO but at this point didn’t see that as an option.

Casey Blake can play some 1B if they need to rest Loney and rotate the guys at 3B a bit.

GO DODGERS!!

3. Scoop says:

We might start with Russ Ortiz on the team, but I just can’t see him sticking around very long. His recent history tells me he just doesn’t have it. I don’t know about Ramon – maybe. Why not just give some innings to Windblown and see how he handles them? The pen is going to get some serious exercise all year long, might as well have some fresh arms out there.

Too bad for Eyechart. Maybe he can go back to the AL and DH/PH. He just might be a coach someday.

Today is a historic day. Haeger’s performance today will dictate what type of pitchers are needed in the relief core.

There is no reason to wait until the April 4th roster deadline to decide and announce the Dodger 25 man roster. Might as well make the announcements and hand out plane tickets after the games are over on March 31 in AZ and LV. Players that do not make the team do not need to go to the games in LA.

5. Scoop says:

I would like to see the marginal players in a high stakes game in L.A. just to see how they perform under the pressure. There is an off day before the game in Pittsburgh, they can hand out the plane tickets then.

But, I can see the problem with that.

6. Erik says:

Heager strong through 3. Give the kid a shot Joe.

7. lawdog says:

Haeger now has gone 4 innings, given up no runs, no walks , 2 hits and struck out 5. Who says you can’t throw the knuckler in Arizona? Sign him up Joe! He might wind up being our #3 before the end of the season. He’s definitely earning his shot today! Dang! I wish the game was televised!

8. Erik says:

Now through 5 and he hit so looks like he is going six…. Could DeWitt and Heager be starters??? Is Joe still in charge or are we running this team?

9. Mark Timmons says:

Charlie is starting his 6th inning. If it weren’t for Ichiro, he’d have a no-hitter.

10. Mark Timmons says:

Joe took him out after 1 out, just so he can see Ramon Ortiz pitch in relief.

Charlie’s our #5!

• Erik says:

I was coming to post the same thing… Vin said Heager was hurt, I don’t think so I think they wanted him to get to the 6th… Then use Ramon in relief.

11. steevo17 says:

1. I agree that we keep 12 pitchers. The bullpen is becoming a bit of a confusing mix right now…with Bellisario, Kuo and McDonald having their various troubles. Although the schedule is relatively light for the first couple of weeks, 12 pitchers allows the Dodgers to better avoid overworking (Torre notwithstanding) any one particular reliever.

2. I agree with Eric on the pitching staff, except with one. Instead of Ross Ortiz, my opinion is that Justin Miller sticks. Ortiz is not a reliever and Miller is. While Ross has pitched well, Ramon Ortiz has pitched better and I just don’t see more than 1 or 2 long relief/spot starters being kept. Haeger has done enough to be kept as one so far and Weaver should be the other, based only on last year. Of the 3 (Ramon O., Haeger & Weaver), one will be the all-important 5th starter. My guess is Ortiz. You can’t ignore his spring stats, way too impressive.

3. Monasterios will not only stick, he will replace Bellisario. He has thrown enough innings this spring to show he is capable. Along with Miller I feel middle relief will be just fine. When (if) Kuo returns, then Troncoso swings between middle and setup, as will Sherrill. Once (if) Kuo returns, from the 6th to the 8th innings the Dodgers look to be very tough to hit. Broxton owns the 9th inning.

With about one week left before the games start to count, I’m sure more changes will be made. I’m very optimistic about the pitching staff as it looks to be shaping up.

DODGERS IN 2010!!!

12. Erik says:

Heager is supposed to speak to media in clubhouse… Anyone there so we can find out what he has to say? Vin said TV audience won’t know because they don’t have a field reporter.

Russ Ortiz and Kershaw should never be on the same staff because of their excessive number of pitches per batter and the eventual limitation that this causes on the nubmer of innings that they can pitch.

14. Bigmouth says:

Don’t think anyone needs to worry about our pitching, never have. I’m of the persuassion that our big concern is that we need a leadoff man ASAP. Mendoza, er Furcal should bat 9th.

15. lawdog says:

If Haeger can pitch at this level during the season he will be invaluable to the team. I wasn’t kidding when I suggested he might end up our #3 behind Kurveshaw and Bills. The dancer is so hard to hit, whether you’re a AAA player or the best in the majors, that it is not out of the realm of possibility that Charlie could go 16-4 and give us 200 quality innings.

16. mark says:

Raffy is healthy and will be fine. Watch and see…

17. Scoop says:

What Bigmouth just said.

And while we are on the subject, who do you hit second?

18. steevo17 says:

Just thinking (dreaming) out loud…

Manny and any 3 minor leaguers they want, to the Mariners for Ichiro and one minor league pitcher.

We move Ethier back to LF and we have our leadoff hitter. Ta Da!!

Not realistic? Well it works on my fantasy team.

While I’m working magic, I would also package both Stults and Martin (Ellis is playing well) to find a veteran, middle of the rotation starter. Then push Kuroda to the #5 slot and, depending who we can get, maybe even Billingsley to the #4.

It could happen.

19. Mark Timmons says:

I like your style Steevo17!

Think outside of that box!

You are a man after my own heart, except that I don’t have time for fantasy baseball.

I barely have time for “Reality Baseball.”

• steevo17 says:

Every so often I ask myself “What if?”…this was one of those clarion moments. Thanks for the compliment. It was a compliment, right?

• Scoop says:

What if the three they want are Withrow, Gordon and Martin?

As much as I like the idea of Ichiro leading off, I doubt the Dodgers give up their best young talent to do it. I don’t know that our talent is rated that high (all three are B talents) but, would the Mariners do something like this?

I do like the way you think though. Keep it up.

20. A Shot of Haeger says:

Today is a good day for me!

21. Bigmouth says:

The Butler DID IT !

22. lawdog says:

Isn’t Ichiro 87 years old now?