One need look no further than the first inning of Thursday’s game to to see the benefits of having Rafael Furcal and Matt Kemp hit 1, 2 in the Dodger lineup. Raffy
doubled to start the game and Kemp followed it with a sharp single to left field which allowed Raffy to go to 3B. At that juncture, Matt Kemps’ speed probably created 2 runs. In his efforts to keep Kemp from stealing, the pitcher threw the ball away at 1B, allowing Raffy to score and Matt to go all the way to 3B. Kemp then scored on a sac fly to the left fielder. BANG! 2-0 Dodgers. This scenario would have never happened if say, Blake DeWitt hit 2B. Joe Torre may have strange tastes in Opening Day Starters but he is very wise to have Raffy and Kemp hit #1, #2! They will manufacture a lot of runs this year.
I did an interview today with Logan White today that lasted over an hour and ten minutes. I will transcribe a large portion of it, and have it here for you in a few days. Among the questions I asked were:
- Of all the players in the past 5 years the Dodgers have traded or gotten rid of, which one would you most like to have back?
- When will Chris Withrow pitch in the majors?
- Can Ethan Martin play 3B and Pedro Baez pitch in the majors?
- Is James Loney faster than last year?
- Will Josh Lindblom be a starter or a reliever?
- What’s the deal with James McDonald (even James hasn’t heard this… yet, but Logan will tell him soon)?
Later this week you will get an inside look at the Dodger Minor League Facility on a tour with De Jon Watson, and with “never seen before” photos of the inside of the Minor League Facility.