Camelback Ranch – March 23rd – PM
- The major leaguers (except for Chad Billingsley) had the day off, but there were two minor league games which featured Chad Billingsley in one, and James McDonald in the other. Joe Torre said that the “players are probably bored” at this juncture, so an off day can’t hurt. Billingsley looked solid, if no spectacular as he threw 83 pitches in 6 innings.
- He allowed 3 hits (2 of them home runs), and walked a batter and hit a batter while striking out 3. Among his victims was Carlos Santana who struck out and grounded out while DH’ing. Santana has been re-assigned to minor league camp. Chad has allegedly corrected a flaw in his delivery which was spotted by Rick Honeycutt and seemed to be pleased with his performance.
- The Dodgers need Chad to pitch like he is capable. He is in the running for Opening Day Starter. Joe Torre will allegedly announce who it is tomorrow. It is between Clayton Kershaw and Chad Billingsley. Clayton has a 1.80 ERA and Chad has a 1.86 ERA, but may have shown enough to make him the choice with his pitching on Tuesday. Kershaw-Billingsley, Billingsley-Kershaw. I’m fine either way.
- Hong-Chih Kuo is hurting again. He was at the Ranch on Tuesday for treatment and may be close to being shut down.
- Ken Gurnick writes that James McDonald is angry about being demoted and focused on getting back. He feels he has something to prove. Sometimes that is the best motivation… especially for a kid like McDonald.
- With Belisario and Kuo likely not on the Opening Day roster, the door is opening for Josh Lindblom.
- Someone else who will probably be on the Opening Day roster is Justin Miller. Everyone forgets about him, but he’s a viable option. He had a 3.18 ERA last year.
- Click on the photos below to see a larger view