Camelback Ranch – March 23rd – AM

Camelback Ranch – March 23rd – AM

Today is an off day, but if everything goes right, I will have photos and the inside story of the Camelback Ranch Minor League Complex.  It should be pretty cool and I think you will be

According to Tommy, the Only Angels are in Heaven and They are all Ex-Dodgers

amazed at the facility.

A LOT WHEN ON YESTERDAY – Charlie Haeger pitched 5 or 7 strong innings against minor league competition (they were all over-matched) and Carlos Monasterios got mixed reviews (although his stuff was pretty good).  Jason Repko didn’t do Carlos any favors by dropping what would have been a Sportscenter Top Catch (there’s a reason why he’s a career minor leaguer).  Clayton Kershaw looked good in 5 strong innings (79 pitches after 27 pitches in the first inning), and so did Russ Ortiz (arrrrggggggahhhhh!)

There are a few things to settle, not the least of which is the starting 2B job.   It appear to be Blake DeWitt’s job to lose.  While not as accomplished as Jamey Carroll on defense, his LH bats fits well in the Dodgers lineup.  I would expect that Blake will win the job even though Carroll is hitting a cool .400.

Who will the subs be?  Here’s what I see

1. Carroll – 2B, SS, 3B, LF, CF, RF
  2. Belliard – 3B, 2B, 1B
  3. Anderson – LF, RF
  4. Johnson – LF, CF, RF
  5. Ausmus – C

Charlie Throwing His Dancer

6. Mientkiewicz - 1B (maybe 3B, LF & RF – depending upon his shoulder)

Mientkiewicz could be the odd man out if the Dodgers want to keep Hu as a true backup SS, or Belliard could be the odd man out (doubtful) if his belly doesn’t get smaller (he’s not at 209, but no one knows how close he is).   I think Carroll will a real key component for us this year.  He can backup Raffy for a game or two at a time, so I see Hu going to AAA again along with Xavier Paul.  Garrett Anderson looks strong, smooth and healthy.

The biggest questions surround the #5 starter.  It’s any body’s guess.  Here are that stats (which is not how the decision will be made).  You have to factor in minor league games, stats and options.  If I had to guess, right now I’d say that Charlie Haeger will be the #5.  That’s my opinion.  What’s yours?

Dodgers 5th Starter Competition
Pitcher IP H R BB K ERA WHIP
Russ Ortiz 13.0 13 3 2 10 2.08 1.15
Ramon Ortiz 13.0 10 2 4 17 1.38 1.08
Charlie Haeger 6.0 7 4 4 6 4.50 1.83
Eric Stults 5.1 2 4 4 3 5.06 1.13
Carlos Monasterios 12.0 7 3 4 7 2.25 0.92
Josh Towers 6.0 3 2 0 2 3.00 0.50
Jeff Weaver 6.0 7 4 0 1 6.00 1.17

Manny Getting Tuned Up

What’s your take on the 25 man roster?

"$25,000 for Jamie Hoffman? I'll Take Him!"

16 Responses to “Camelback Ranch – March 23rd – AM”

Just got back from the Ranch and I’m missing the place already. I was 0-3 during my stay so the players are probably glad I’m gone. Garret Anderson and X Paul’s bat impressed me the most. Hu’s glove and stick impressed my the least. The fifth spot will be interesting to say the least. I bet it might not even go the the most impressive pitcher of the spring. Roster spots and who is still able to be sent down to the minors will all play a role in this decision. I am betting that I saw Repko play his last game in Blue on Monday. I’m sorry to see him go because he had so much promise. I just don’t know what happened to his ability to hit. He made an outstanding catch in center yesterday and beat out a close play at first with his speed.

Thanks to Roger and Mark for a great few minutes spent with them on Sunday. Great people…………….

Well it’s back to the grind now. Go Blue

Except for Eyechart (Who can NOT throw across the diamond) I agree with Mark. The Dodgers may start the year with 11 pitchers and 14 position players but that will NOT last. Therefore, there is no reason (In this economic environment) to add any temporary players to the 40-man roster. Therefore (Based on $$$$) the more prudent decision is to have Hu start the year with the Dodgers and send him to AAA when the Dodgers realize that the permanent Spring Training experiment of bringing 70 times 7 pitchers to camp always negatively affects the starting pitching staff, resulting in poor timing, accuracy and lack of innings.

Russ Ortiz is a mirage. Ramon Ortiz is a possibility. Weaver may have stayed around too long.

If the Dodgers had the money I would stockpile a few of these has beens at AAA and pay them the maximum AAA salary, give them a bonus if called up before 6/1, and give them their release if not called up by 6/1.

Nonconventional Picks Subject to Change 4/20/10:

1. Kershaw
    2. Bills
    3. Padilla
    4. Kuroda
    5. Stults (May not last the season)

6. Broxton
    7. Sherrill
    8. Troncoso
    9. Haeger
    10. Ramon Ortiz (Add to 40-man) (May not last the season)
    11. Monasterios (May not last the season)

12. Furcal
    13. DeWitt
    14. Kemp
    15. Either
    16. Manny
    17. Loney
    18. Blake
    19. Ellis

20. Ausmus
    21. Carroll
    22. Belliard (May not last the season)
    23. Anderson (Add to 40-man) (May not last the season)
    24. Johnson
    25. Hu (First Position Player demoted for 12th pitcher)

26. Kuo – 15 Day DL
    27. Wade – 60 Day DL (Not on 40 man)
    28. Belisario – Inactive to open season (Not on 40 man)
    29. Martin – 15 Day DL
    30. Weaver, Russ Ortiz, Miller, Towers – 30 day K at AAA

5. chucky says:

just read at trade rumors that the dodgers are shopping Stults and Hu.

that plays with Mark’s idea that Hu will not make the roster and that Haeger is the 5th starter. But EYE chart???

6. Ty says:

You said:

“Jason Repko didn’t do Carlos any favors by dropping what would have been a Sportscenter Top Catch (there’s a reason why he’s a career minor leaguer).”

That has to be one of the most ridiculous statements I’ve read sine reading this blog. I’m not a Repko fan nor do I dislike him but to say that it was his fault that he didn’t make a “Sportscenter Top Catch” is absolutely ridiculous. I guess all major leaguers make those Top Catch worthy plays or else they’d just be “career minor leaguers”.

Wow, just a ridiculous comment.

7. mark says:

Chucky,

I would rather see Hu on the roster, but that’s just me…

8. mark says:

Ty,

You know, most of the times I ignore things people say, but it seems like you just like to go after me. Do you ever have any humor in your life? Maybe I should ask you to “break down” why that is a ridiculous statement?

1. Was it ridiculous to say that he should have made the catch (it hit him in the middle of the glove)?

2. Whose fault was it since it was a “ridiculous” statement?

3. Isn’t one of the differences between career minor leaguers and major leaguers is that one group can’t make all the plays the other group does?

4. I didn’t say “that’s the ONLY reason,” I said “there’s a reason why he’s a career minor leaguer.” Is there no reason?

Ty, you can have a take here, but DO NOT SUCK. That take sucks. Feel free to disagree with me, but have a valid point.

Your statement is so devoid of any reason, and that is something I can’t abide. If you don’t like what I say, you have 2 choices:

A. Present a concise, well-reasoned rebuttal; or

B. Don’t read what I write.

Kuo back on the shelf.

10. mark says:

Ty,

To elaborate a little more, Billy Russell said

“Based on what I saw in workouts, Green was pounding the ball in batting practice while Hu looked lost both in the cages and on the field. I would trade Hu for anything and keep Green if it was up to me.”

Now, I don’t agree with what he said, because I have watch Hu a lot more, but “based upon what he saw” I can’t argue with it. He had a take that did not suck, even though I disagree with it.

Have a take, and do not suck!

Anybody see the front page of the Sports section in USA Today?

Nevermind.

Hu has been a major disappointment for me. I thought for sure he was the real deal when he was hitting well at AAA a few years ago, then the eye thing and he hasn’t been the same. I doubt he is worth much in trade. How could he be? We need a back-up SS and we are shopping our AAA starter at that position? Not good.

I read somewhere that lots of teams have 5th starter issues. But the truth is, every team has 5th starters, some are just better than others. A good 5th starter in my book eats up innings with an ERA in the low to mid 4′s. It would be nice to get an innings eater to save the pen at least once a week, but, I don’t know who that might be – but Haeger seems to be logical choice for that. The knuckle ball is easiest on the arm, but the guy has no history. Joe likes history. Now Haeger does have a lot of minor league innings the last 4 years but how does anyone know if Haeger can throw 180 innings here when he hasn’t thrown more than 19 at the big league level? His arm can take it, but, 180 innings of 5+ ERA won’t help all that much.

Tough call. So far, the one guys that looks the best, the Ortiz brothers, are guys who also have a questionable recent history.

I have no pick, but if I had too….. my pick is Monasterios.

The rest of the roster I’ll just go with Ken’s. It is going to change several times through the course of the year.

12. Roberto Venezuela says:

19. Martin

20. Ausmus
    21. Carroll
    22. Belliard
    23. Anderson
    24. Johnson
    25. Mientkiewicz (First Position Player demoted for 12th pitcher)

That´s mi roster for all the season!

• Ken says:

That is 3 new guys being added to the 40 man that currently has 39 less Wade who will probably go on the 60 day. So who is teh one guy that you cut?

1. [...] View full post on LADodgerTalk.com – Get Your Daily Dodger Juice, Dodger News and Dodger Rumors [...]