A. Come one, can’t you figure this out on your own? OK, I’m going to explain it to you r-e-a-l s-l-o-w: Ned just had some money in his pocket and wanted to spend it, before it burnt the proverbial hole. Yeah, that’s the ticket! COME ON! Here’s the deal – when free agency started, the Dodgers knew that they were not going to re-sign Orlando Hudson and they did not want to be stuck without a second-baseman. They knew that Lopez, Belliard and Company were wanting multi-year contracts North of $4 mil a year, so they made sure they had a 2B and signed Jamey, knowing that he could start if necessary, or be a utility player. Lopez, Hudson and Belliard over-estimated the market. Second Basemen who hit .280 and have single-digit home-run totals are a dime-a-dozen. Yes, Ned may overpaid, but he had to secure a 2B early, if Blake DeWitt didn’t step-up. To his credit, when the market dried up, he got another (Belliard). Hindsight is 20/20 and it’s easy to look back and criticize a decision, but Ned did the prudent thing and locked up a 2B early. It turns out there wasn’t much of a market for a 2B who’s not a hitter like Dan Uggla or Chase Utley.
Q. The Dodgers were a .500 team in 2008 without Manny, why should we believe they can be any better in 2010?
A. Hello? Does the fact that the Dodger youngsters are 2 more years on the mature side have any bearing? Hello? Is anybody home? Hello? Hello?
Q. Did getting sent up and down in 2009 really affect Blake DeWitt’s production last year?
A. No, going back and forth between AAA was a piece of cake especially since DeWitt knew he wouldn’t win the 2B job anyway. NOT! Blake DeWitt thought he had the 2B job and then the Dodgers signed Hudson and bounced him back and forth like a yo-yo. No, it had no effect! ARE YOU CRAZY? Of course it had a MAJOR EFFECT… unless he’s not human!
- Russ Ortiz and Ramon Ortiz are both pitching “lights out.” Russ is in the running for the #5 spot. Who wooda thunk? Could we really have 2 Ortiz’s come Opening Day?
- If Haeger doesn’t make the team, could he make the DL? Stay tuned…
- The Number 5 Spot is Eric Stults to lose…
- Don Mattingley has once again proved he is not a rocket scientist!
- Don Mattingley should not be “automatic.” I can think of two other managers I would rather have – Gibson & Wallach!
- As I suspected, Brian Giles could not handle playing anymore, so he retired. 1 down, 1 to go.
- Dylan Hernandez suggests that Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp are now the “face of the organization.” – I have to agree.
- It turns out that Belisario IS a Knucklehead! Read Tony Jackson’s piece about the moron.
- For the record, I think Matt Kemp would be awesome in the #2 spot and give teams fits there. He would elevate the games of everyone in the lineup. He’s a 40/40 threat – as soon as this year!
- I expect good things from these guys – THIS YEAR!