What is…

What is…
  • The Orioles have signed Joe Guzman to a minor league deal.  Is he Jack Cust?  Maybe.  Maybe not!  Do you remember when…?
  • Kemp, Ethier, Loney, Martin, Manny and Furcal should be better,  Blake should be the same.  DeWitt/Carroll/Belliard may be worse than 2B last year (maybe not).  How does that make us not as good as last year?  Is this the new math?
  • Carlos Santana (who has been “annointed” the chosen one) has never played above AA.  Who knew?
  • Steven Johnson (the pitcher in the Sherrill trade) was released and is now a Giant.  Steve, We’ll blast you if you come to the Ravine.
  • The Cincinnati Reds are going to surprise you.
  • To those of you who think the Dodgers didn’t affer arbitration to Wolf and Hudson because they couldn’t afford it:  “GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF WHEREVER IT IS.”
  • The Cubs will tank again and Sweet Lou will be given the pink slip by August.
  • The Dodgers and the Cards will play in the NLCS.
  • Roy Halladay will win 7 games this year.  Cliff Lee will win the AL Cy Young.
  • Camelback will be a “hoot” this Spring.
  • Who wants a LaDdodgerTalk polo and what size?
  • Randy Wolf and Orlando Hudson were 50-50 odds to accept arbitration.  I know these things!
  • Raffy will have his best year ever in 2010, with only 16 stolen bases.
  • Vicente Padilla will have more wins and a better ERA than Randy Wolf.
  • The Rockies will win 82 games.
  • Andre Ethier will win the NL MVP.
  • Chad Billingsley will be the Chad we USED to know.
  • Who ‘dat?  Colts ‘dat!  Yes they are!

28 Responses to “What is…”

Mark,

This relates back to the previous thread. If the Dodgers had gotten the Brewers pick as a result of the Wolf signing, it would have been even cheaper. Teams that draft in the first half of the first round (the first 15 picks) lose their second round pick if they sign a Type A free agent. Therefore, if the Brewers have the 14th pick in June, they would have kept it, and the Dodgers would have gotten a supplemental and the Brewers 2nd round pick.

2. Rory says:

Good call Brooklyn.

Who is Roy Halliday?

And Roy Halladay will win 7 games by the All Star break. On that team he could win 18 easy.

And there it is, just a few of Mark’s early predictions. Gotta love that guy – each year there are 4 or 5 Dodgers who will make the All Star team and at least two that will be MVP candidates. Which Dodger do you predict to win the Cy Young? And if Raffy has his best year, he hits over .295 with a .400 OBP. That will be sweet.

Here is another prediction from me – Mark will owe me 500 push-ups by October 1.

Looks like Hudson has a job. I need to check out that Twins lineup and see where he is going to hit in it. They usually have a hitting team over there so that should be good for O.

3. ken says:

Back to Baseball. Too much misinformation on the last post.

4. Ty says:

Was a very average and old Casey Blake worth Carlos Santana? It’s risk vs reward. Blake is an ok player but the reward was not worth the risk. There are numerous guys that we could’ve put at 3B that would’ve approached Blake’s numbers. Could we have made the playoffs w/o Casey Blake the past two seasons? Replace Blake with an average 3B and we would’ve made it.

Please do not act like Santana no one knew Santana’s potential. He was a fast riser in the system and was just tapping into that potential when he was traded. It’s not like we received a special player either. I could rattle off a number of better 3B than Casey Blake and I’m a Blake fan!

It’s also fine to say that you believe that the Dodgers didn’t offer Hudson and Wolf arby because they thought they’d take it but it’s a little crazy to call out the people who believe that we didn’t offer them arby because we were broke. It’s not that far fetched. You Mark even believed that that was the case initially so please don’t act like we’re dumb if we believed that we didn’t offer arby because we were broke.

5. Mark Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

That’s something I had forgotten about, but it makes not wanting to pay signing bonuses even more far-fetched.

Ty,

I was stupid too, but wised up when I got all the facts. No shame in that. Maybe ignorant is a BETTER WORD. The shame is when you have the facts and still don’t wise up.

Rory,

We could easily have 4 or 5 players worthy of the All-Star Team, but I’m not saying that.

And, Halladay wins only 7 games because he gets injured.

6. Mark Timmons says:

Hudson allegedly just signed a 1 year/$5 mil deal with the Twins which allegedly includes no incentives.

7. Rory says:

I can see a couple of Dodgers being All Stars. Kemp is one, Broxton is another. Maybe Ethier if he starts out hot. Same with Manny if he comes out of the gate smokin’. There are too many great players at each position around the league to assume we have 5 All Stars.

Denard Span
    Orlando Hudson
    Joe Mauer
    Justin Morneau

Uh, yeah. That is a great spot for Hudson to land. They got a Gold Glove All Star for $5 million and it didn’t cost them a pick either. From Rosenthal:

“The bottom line is this: The Twins are better today than they were yesterday, and many in the game find it curious that the Dodgers turned on Hudson with such conviction.”

Yep, many in the game, and many outside the game, are curious all right.

Well said Ty. Blake is like the 17th rated fantasy 3rd baseman and most people agree with you about the arbitration thing. I just can’t imagine any other team not offering arbitration. Neither can most baseball experts. It’s a head scratcher for many of us.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

8. Rory says:

Interesting read. My take, this off season was an exercise in utility.

9. Rory says:

“And, Halladay wins only 7 games because he gets injured.”

Well he does have 4 straight years of 31+ starts and 220+ innings so, maybe he is due.

I hope you are right. The thought of him on the NL Championship team doesn’t exactly lift my hopes.

On the Santana/Blake thing, what upset me was that the Dodgers reportedly could have had Blake w/o including Santana if they were willing to pay the remaining $2 million left on his contract. That’s an amount less than is often given to good amateur prospects. At the time Santana was a high achieving PROFESSIONAL prospect. In effect, the Indians paid a $2 million bonus to get a top prospect. Not hard to believe.

It may be that Santana hasn’t yet played above AA, but that does not erase the fact that he is currently rated by Baseball America as Cleveland’s #1 prospect.

Now I know that prospects often become suspects when exposed to higher level play. But, at the very least, Santana would have been (or still could have been) a valuable piece to offer in a trade for a top MLB pitcher/player. Maybe he could have been used in a package to get Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, or some other impact player of their ilk.

Bottom line is that Blake probably could have been acquired w/o including Santana. That, and the fact that the Dodgers appear to have been investing less in acquiring amateur talent over the past couple of years is what worries me most. Yes, we still have some good prospects, including some very good arms at the lower levels. But that doesn’t change the fact that the pipeline seems to be getting shorter. Since we already have some very good young players at the MLB level, there is probably less of an urgency to stock the system. But as the pipeline grows shorter we not only have fewer players ready for prime time in LA, but less of an inventory to use in deals to pick up the Halladay’s and Lee’s of the world.

I seriously doubt Halladay gets injured or slows down much. But I also don’t think he will win 20+ games like evryone is suggesting.

Orlando Hudson will do fine in Minnesota, I still think he will end up on the DL. A new outdoor stadium, imagine what the temperatures will be there in early April and late Sept., OUCH. I have bad joints & I can only imagine how bad his wrist will hurt. Maybe I am too critical but I thought all along last season he was very good but not as amazing as some in the media made him out to be defensively. Here’s a funny article showing what the Dodgers thought of the O-Dog a.k.a. “Slow-Dog” they also thought he was over hyped defensively.

Who wants to take the O-Dog challenge? 100 push ups says he will end up on the DL before the All Star break.

12. ken says:

O-Dog signing for $5 mil is sufficient evidence of the market to conclude that Hudson would have accepted arbitration.

Saints by 5.

The $5 million is also sufficient evidence that the shortcomings the Dodgers saw in Hudson are shared throughout the industry. I pretty much agree with DRomo’s assessment. And as I’ve noted before, I thought he was overly aggressive on popups that could easily have been handled by Kemp and/or Ethier. There were several times when his aggressiveness came close to causing a collision.

I believe that DeWitt can handle the job, but until he does (or doesn’t) I can understand the doubts. Somehow, as the season progresses, I believe we will be more than adequately served at 2B. In any case, I don’t see it as being a black hole.

14. Rory says:

It’s not a black hole Brooklyn, but it is a question mark. Hope you are right about our being adequately served. We signed enough guys to cover it, that’s for sure. And I read ODog’s $5 million contract differently. That’s a good contract for him. Of course it isn’t what he was asking, but no way he gets what he was asking, and that would include what he would have asked for in arbitration.

You know, I had forgotten about the outdoor park in Minnesota. With today’s technology, I think an outdoor stadium there is a really bad idea.

Here is a shot of what it could look like on Opening Day in Minneapolis:

15. jdavis says:

J

Rory,

If memory serves me correct, I believe the Dodgers open the season in Pittsburgh. Hope it doesn’t look the same there.

And yes, DeWitt definitely is a question mark. But I like his chances. If he tanks, then Belliard/Carroll/Amezaga could probably hold down the job, at least until a replacement could be acquired. Is it a risk? Yes. But so, in my opinion, is Hudson.

jdavis,

“The best two players for the dodgers this year is—–Manram and Kuroda. Im praying that casey blake pulls a hemi before opening day”

Really? The 2 best players are Manny and Kuroda? I don’t think we can even start to address your concerns if that is your take.

I am hoping like many of you that DeWitt wins the 2B job. I have said it before I watched him when he was out here in San Bernardino a few years ago and he reminded me of Bill Mueller at 3B. Not a lot of pop but the kid could pick it and swing it a little bit. A perfect #8 guy if he can hold his own on defense. As much as the fantasy geeks hate it I’ll take a .260- .270 guy with 10HRs and 50-60 RBIs at 2B.

18. Rory says:

It would be interesting if j is right. We know Kemp and Ethier will probably have good years, as will Loney. We think Bills and Kershaw will be good…….. so…… if all that happens and Manny and Kuroda are our best players – that means they have monster years. And we will need somebody other than Kemp, Ethier and Loney to have monster years if we are going to compete for a pennant.

I don’t hope for Blake to pull a hammy (I assume that is what he meant) but I really don’t look for him to improve. If he can give us exactly what he did last year we will be lucky. I hope we are lucky. We are going to need to be lucky.

19. mark says:

People think that because Torre benched O-Dog he would not accept arbitration. Think again.

I think O-Dog might have accepted arbitration because he knew by the rules he could not have taken a pay cut. He made $9 million last year. Interesting he had a clause in his Minnesota contract that he would not be offered arbitration at the end of next season. This guy thinks he is a $10 million/ per guy. That is why Arizona let him go as well. It wasn’t just the injury. They thought he was too expensive. O-dog needs to come back to earth.

The benching was overblown. Look guys Belly was hitting the ball. Belly went down in Pittsburgh if you remember (when the near collapse happened). O-dog did OK. The team fell flat. Belly came back & we won again. It may have had nothing to do with Belly vs. O-dog, sometimes when the team is hot you don’t mess with it. They got to the playoffs and swept the Cards, why mess with it then? At least O-dog put on a good face and didn’t pout, sure he wasn’t happy, but Torre rode the hot hand. Not having Slow-dog in the line up didn’t cost us the pennant against the Phils. Let’s move on.

21. Rory says:

“He made $9 million last year.”

I don’t think so. He had a base salary of $3 million and a ridiculous set of incentives detailed enough to give somebody a headache when reading them, but I don’t believe they added up to an additional $6 million.

And they all think they are worth more than they are. Major League baseball players are not known for being humble.

“Let’s move on.”

OK by me. Looks like we will never agree on this anyway. I’ll be watching to see how ODog does in Minnesota. They have an exciting team there, I wish him well.

22. lawdog says:

A .284 batting average and a gold glove ain’t chopped liver!

23. mark says:

O-Dog was paid almost $8 mil last year! According to Scout.com, his contract was for jst shy of $3.4 with “$4.6 million in incentives clauses.” He made every incentive except $10,000.00. That’s almost $8 mil ($7.9 mil to be exact).

24. Rory says:

Wow. $7.9 mil. He was good, but not that good huh?

I guess we can chalk it up to yet another bonehead contract from the desk of one Jed Collecti. How come he still has a job?

25. mark says:

I’m wit’ you on that…

Why does Ned have a job? With no budget he has kept the Dodgers in the playoffs(3 out of 4 years) and held on to his young talent. Say what you want, you can’t argue with SCOREBOARD!!

1. [...] View full post on LADodgerTalk.com – Get Your Daily Dodger Juice, Dodger News and Dodger Rumors [...]