I’m Out Until February 20th

I’m Out Until February 20th

Pitchers and Catchers report on February 2o, 2010 and the first workout is February 21, 2010, so I am going to take a few days off.  I’ll be back on the 20th or 21st.

I’ll leave you with a few things to cuss and discuss:

• Is it possible that the Combination of Reed Johnson and Brian Giles will be even better than Juan Pierre last year?  Think about that one really hard.
  • Why can’t a guy who hit over .300 for the first two months of 2008 and is in his 6th professional season make the transition to everyday 2B?  Think about this:  9 trips!  That has to have an effect, but also serves to help you grow up real quick.  Is it possible we will see the 2008 April and May Blake DeWitt all year?
  • Jamey Carroll can play every infield position and every outfield position (he hasn’t played SS for a couple of years, but he can in an emergency) and hits nearly .350 as a pinch hiiter.  Do you think he might have some value?
  • Could this be THE year Kuroda is injury-free (remember, it’s not his arm that has been the problem)?
  • Does anyone in their right mind think that sometime  between September 2008 and August 2009, Manny Ramirez just “lost it?’   OR, is it possible you could see him be a beast in the least year of his contract?
  • What are the chances in July or August that a team who (1) loses a closer to injury, or (2)  has a closer who is not getting the job done, elects to trade for Ronnie Belisario and/or George Sherrill?
  • The Dodgers will have a shuttle to and from Albaquacky (I can’t spell Albuquerque) all year -especially for the pitching staff.  At any given time, we could have Troncoso,  Wade, Schlichting, Leach, Lindblom, Miller and Felix there at any given minute.  Expect to see a lot of movement to and from there.
  • DARKHORSE:  Ivan DeJesus, Jr. – Could he “sieze the day at 2B?s  Brian Barton (who?) – You never know!!!
  • Charles Haeger is out of options and so is Eric Stults.  If, for no other reason than that, they will be given a shot at being the #5.   Because of that, I think Scott Elbert starts the year at AAA.  James McDonald might end up back in AAA so that he can start as well, but I think he’ll play out better as a reliever.  We’ll see.
  • Could it be that the Dodgers won’t have a  true SS as a backup this year?  Carroll could well be the emergency SS and Hu and Green would only be a cab ride away.
  • There’s a real chance Amezaga won’t play this year.
  • I think the Dodgers will go with 11 pitchers in April.
  • Belliard is not a lock to make the team!

This could be your Opening Day Lineup & Roster:

1. Furcal  SS
  2. Martin  C
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Ethier  RF
  5. Manny  LF
  6. Loney  1B
  7. Blake  3B
  8. DeWitt  2B
  9. Billingsley  P

Reserves:

1. Carroll
  2. Belliard or Doug M ( I can’t spell Mientkiewicz)
  3. Giles

6. Stults
  7. Kuo
  8. Sherrill
  9. Belisario
  10. Troncoso
  11. Broxton

I’ll be in Carmelback from March 20-27, 2010.  See you there.

Carry on!

28 Responses to “I’m Out Until February 20th”

I am pulling hard for DeWitt. Until last year, he hit everywhere he was. I like Belliard as a back-up, and frankly I don’t even know Carroll. Amezaga won’t play for a while and Hu and Green will likely only get time if there is injury – or unexpected need. I don’t know about Giles.

I sure hope McDonald and Elbert blow them away at AAA.

I look for Manny to have an average 38 year old post steroid Manny year – .290 25 and 95.

This team has potential. There are scrappy ballplayers, though most of them have back-up potential, if they pull on the same end of the rope this could be a very good team.

If the starters hold up, I see 88-90 wins and Mark doing 500 push-ups.

During Spring Training and then in the first week or so into the season — I just hope that some one is hot and playing great baseball as the Dodger second baseman. No matter who that is. We will support them and the others will drop off our radar.

What is not wanted is — no one succeeds and no matter who is out there is hitting like .225 — that will show a weakness.

And DeWitt seems to have been around forever. If he really has anything to being a major league baseball player — he will do it now.

3. ken says:

I agree with most of the above Mark but I count only 24 players on your list. Maybe add one of the Rule 5 pitchers?

Dewitt needs to try to hit for average. Him trying to hit him runs in 2010 is a big mistake.

For the first 2 months Stults should start and Haeger should be the #1 long reliever. Haeger can easily pitch 120 innings coming out of the bullpen (thus having enough innings to transition back to starting in 2011) if the starters have not learned how to pitch, throw strikes, or last 6 innings. Or he can keep his arm ready in 2010 if Stults bombs, or if Kuroda gets hurt, etc.

I think Haeger as the #5 is a possibility. He can chew up innings, keeping his ERA around 4 and would be a completely different look to hitters for 6 innings, possibly making our bullpen stronger for the last 3. That’s just a guess, but it makes sense to me.

And so little does these days, I welcome it.

Seems like DeWitt has been around a while but he hasn’t really. He has 417 career at bats and is 24. This is the year to prove he belongs. We’ll see, but with Carroll signed, and the other second baseman hanging around, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him start in AAA again. If there, he had better tear it up or he is done with L.A..

5. mark says:

This is what will all be decided in the Spring.

We could go with 11 pitchers and keep both Belly and Eye Chart and then just rotate bodies back to AAA – that’s a thought!

• ken says:

Yes, if the Dodger have multiple long relievers, otherwise not. However, pitchers who are out of options can not travel back and forth between MLB and AAA and most of the potential long relievers are out of option, Weaver, Stults, Heager, etc. I would not reccommend very many of the short relievers shuttling back and forth.

EDIT Button!

6. mark says:

When are you unbelievers going to start believing me?

7. steevo17 says:

I don’t want to turn this into a crusade…but Alfredo Amezaga should be ready to go by start of ST. He’s been running for approximately one month. All reports say his surgery was successful. Two links to read:

and:

The second one has some really interesting comments at the bottom of the page.

My hope is whatever the Dodgers do, that they have a “complete” team…meaning that every position is covered. Right now SS looks to be thin. Furcal needs more days off and I’m not sure about Carroll as the backup SS. Plus Amezaga essentially adds an extra roster spot for a strictly off-the-bench PH (Giles) and thats also lacking with us.

My bench for 2010: (based on carrying 12 pitchers – because we know how Torre likes to over-use the pen.)

Carroll – 2B/3B/PH (in a rotation with Belliard at 2B)
    Amezaga – IF/OF/PH (basically everywhere except P/C)
    Ausmus – C (must be prepared to make at least 40-45 starts)
    Johnson – OF (will get at least 50-60 starts and 250 ABs)
    Mientkiewicz/Giles – the main PH (Mientkiewicz is a switch-hitter, gives him an advantage here.)

If for some reason we only carry 11 pitchers out of ST, then I think Giles will get a roster spot.

This bench is versatile and experienced…Torre is fanatical about both, especially the experience. I personally, would be happy to go to battle with this bench. Again, as always, if healthy.

Repko, Hu, Paul and, yes… Blake DeWitt will all be optioned to AAA. I can see Repko making a stink and asking for his release if this happens, but no loss there. The others can only benefit from being in the lineup everyday and getting regular ABs.

8. Rory says:

Those sites are interesting steevo, but the ones I visited after reading of the signing were these:

Many people improve after this surgery. Many can return to sports or other intense activities in about 4 months. Athletes in very intense sports may not be able return to their former level of competition.

It takes 4 to 6 months before one can return to sport activities, and even longer to return to competition. Professional athletes may be sidelined up to a year after microfracture surgery.

I suppose he is still young enough, 32, to make a decent recovery, but I still am saying we need to wait and see if he is ready to compete by early season. I am hopeful, but the truth is he had surgery in July and the Marlins waited until December to non-tender him. That’s about 5 months to see how he was doing. Maybe the Marlins just didn’t want to chance it and pay a guy the $1.3 mil he had coming – or maybe the medical staff said something else. At any rate, I am hopeful for a full recovery as this guy is the super sub any team would love to have. If he can get back to 100%, he makes a few other guys on this team expendable.

Mientkiewicz a switch hitter? Actually he bats left, throws right. Here’s his baseball-reference.com page.

I also checked a couple of Baseball America publications I have at home.

10. Rory says:

You have probably already seen this, but, it’s worth reading again as it sets up the roster in a way that makes sense:

11. mark says:

Eye Chart bats LH not Both.

I can’t see Alfredo Amezaga ready before May or June, but stranger things can happen.

You could call HU up once a week to start.

Amezaga is an amazing defensive player, but his hitting is the question.

Repko is not out of options accoring to what I see.

• ken says:

Mark – You are correct that Repko is not out of options but he is probably subject to the revocable waiver rules due to the number of years since he was first added to the 25-man roster in 2005. So that appears to mean the if he is sent back to the minors he can not play at AAA until he clears waivers and if he does not clear waivers he must go back to the Dodgers, the Dodgers must let another team take him, or the Dodgers can release him. Who is the moronic lawyer who thought up these rules?

12. mark says:

Somebody once told me “Look out the window or look in the mirror!”

;)

13. mark says:

… and they can withdraw him if they really want him, but if he doesn’t make the team, I think the Dodgers would allow him to move on if he wants, but I am still not sure that they can’t outright him. I don’t have time to look it up. You dang lawyers are probably up on it better than me anyway. That’s why I paying you $400 an hour.

14. A Shot of Haeger says:

I’d hire ken to be my lawywer in a second. He’s really knowledgeable about the law. I have no doubts about that.

Somebody else would probably pick up Repko if he is waived. If given a decent chance, he could hit .250 in this league and his defense is better than most. That’s back-up outfield potential on a lot of teams.

16. A Shot of Haeger says:

Repko has his uses.. I just think after all the injury issues he’s had, his time here is coming to an end.

He’s been healthy enough for most of his career. Man he has been around a long time:

18. Jim D says:

Manny did NOT LOSE IT – he is just OFF THE ROIDS !

19. ken says:

In hindsight would anyone prefer to have Cody Ross instead of Repko? Did anyone predict that Ross would be this good? Maybe Frank knew that Repko ($.5 mil) would be cheaper than Ross ($4.1 mil)during his divorce years (Maybe back than he guessed that real estate values might crash and maybe he knew that evenutally he would choose the Dodgers over Beans)! Maybe not.

LawDog – Having trouble sleeping – Way Too Early?

I just heard Ned Colletti on XM. He was talking about passing on Wang. They did see him throw but the guy is not even throwing off a mound yet & probably won’t be all that soon. I know this is old news but I had to share this. He said they saw him throw 3 times and once was in a parking lot. That brought laughs from the hosts and Ned. “Yes, a parking lot, and I have to say he had decent command…he didn’t hit any cars.” Freaking hilarious!

Ned said “I am not signing a guy to a multimillion dollar contract based on a session in a parking lot.” I would have to agree.

1. [...] View full post on LADodgerTalk.com – Get Your Daily Dodger Juice, Dodger News and Dodger Rumors [...]