Fact and Fiction

Fact and Fiction

It turns out that Ronnie Belisario and I have a lot in common – No I don’t have a DUI, but we both have Visa problems that prevented us from reporting yesterday.  He hasn’t been able to obtain his, and I have to work to pay mine off!  So there you go.  Joe Torre isn’t mad at me , but he is mad at Ronnie!

Spring is that time of year when the “little boy” in us all dreams big dreams:

• Manny will have an MVP season
  • Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier will combine to hit 80 HR and drive in 240
  • Chad Billingsley and Clayton Kershaw will be 1,2 or 2,1 in CY Young voting
  • Russell Martin and Rafael Furcal will win Silver Sluggers and Gold Gloves
  • Eric Gagne will regain his form to become “Game Over” Gagne
  • From James McDonald, Eric Stults and Charlie Haeger will emerge a #5 starter who goes 200 innings
  • BelliCarroWitt will combine to hit over .300 at 2B
  • Casey Blake didn’t have his career year last year – he will have it in 2010 – with a beard, no less

Now, most of those dreams will not happen, but some will and it’s going to be fun to see which ones play out.

Spring Notes:

• The Dodgers and Torre are working on an extension of one more year.
  • Russell Martin allegedly looks like a fullback and has muscled up this year.  The last two years, he worked on flexibility and that simply didn’t work.  He’s allegedly about 20+ pounds heavier.
  • To those of you who expect Casey Blake to have a bad year at 37, just look back at Brooks Robinson, Mike Schmidt and Pete Rose at 37.  If a guy takes care of himself, there no reason he can’t be at his peak then and I think that Casey Blake, while not in the category of the three above-mentioned 3B, is a candidate to do as good, probably better than last year.
  • Rumor has it that James Loney may have “bulked up” over the winter.  That would make some of those fly balls, “Big Flies.”

Must Reading:

20 Responses to “Fact and Fiction”

I feel like Simers in this place.

You wish to compare Casey Blake to two Hall of Fame players and a third that should have been a first ballot HOFer?

OK.

As for you dreams….. is this a result of melatonin? or do you have a drug that I am not aware of?

I got get me some of those blue glasses you wear.

2. mark says:

You should try some. See I am happy all year until the playoffs, and then I’m miseable. You are miseable all year! My blue glasses are great! ;)

I have no worries about Casey Blake. He has been steady since he got here, when he changes then you haters can let me know.

If Loney bulked up I hope he doesn’t roll in looking like Martin does. Russ looks fat!!He gained 25 pounds of “muscle” over the off season? The off season that consisted of 4 months. 25 pounds in 4 months? I don’t know about that, unless you are Barry Bonds. I bet it is a combo of weight room and Twinkies (or crepes) for Martin. If Loney did the same I look forward to looking at a Prince Fielder clone.

4. Ty says:

So you just mentioned Casey Blake in the same sentence as Pete Rose, Brooks Robinson and Mike Schmidt…

You really are an optimist.

5. Mark Timmons says:

Ty,

You and Badger must speed-read, as you both missed this:

“I think that Casey Blake, while not in the category of the three above-mentioned 3B...”

6. Mark Timmons says:

I agree with Romo on Blake. While I would rather have Beltre, Blake ain’t chopped liver and is a solid (if not spectacular) part of our team. Due to his lifestyle and work ethic, I believe he will continue to be a productive player through this contract. Pencil him in for 18-22 HR, 80 RBI and a .270 BA from the 7th spot.

Oh, by the way: I think Adrian Beltre will have a monster year in Boston… like a TOP 10 in MVP year!

Good point about Russell Romey. You can’t add that kind of muscle in 4 months without roids – and we know he didn’t do that. I think it’s ok to report to camp with a little winter weight on the body – then you can work out and get ready. The body needs time to rest over a long season, so, I have no problem with guys taking most of the winter off. Having said that…….. 25 pounds? Yoiks. He ain’t tall enough for that to be good news.

I have no worries about Blake either. I expect him to do just a little less than he did last year. I am not worried about him. I’m not “worried” about any of our players. The only thing that really concerns me is the direction this owner can take the team. I hope he sails through the divorce and the court throw Jamie to the wolves. I expect however they will instead follow California law.

Mark, you did in fact compare Blake and those guys. You asked us to take a look at what they accomplished at age 37 and then said Blake could do something similar. And a career year for him would be around 152 games, .290 avg. 29 HR and 90 RBI’s. (I see you have already amended that – smart move) I think if we are lucky, Blake plays in 150 games, hits .270 with 16 HR’s and 75 RBI’s. Call that negative if you will, but I just happen to think being realistic is more important than being optimistic. Those numbers would be a good year for him, and would help the Dodgers immensely. If all these guys do what you say they will, we win 110 games and likely blow through the play-offs.

I think I can agree that Beltre has a chance to re-invent himself in Boston – in that lineup at that park. He will do there what he could not do anywhere else.

8. lawdog says:

Laies and Gwerms. Let me introduce the Dodger’s #4 starter for next season: “GAME OVER GAGNE”. He’ll replace Kuroda who was so toasty last year he burned his own ass. Haeger is still the #5.

9. lawdog says:

RON CEY signed to play third!

Dodgerland was all LaLa agin last night when Jed announced the signing of Ron Cey to battle fellow geezer Casey Blake for the starting 3base position. Said Cey, “Too bad Blake isn’t a left handed hitter. If he was, we could platoon at the position> But even though U’m 87 years old now, Blake can’t hit his way out of a papewr bag and will defint3ly have to settle for being the most expensive ytiliuty man/pinch hitter in the majors.

Jed said Fred and Frankly were on board with the signing which will be announced once Cey commits to backloading his salary, believed to be the bare major league minimum, over the next 50 years.

10. lawdog says:

Where the hell are my glasses! Did I just type this mess? No wonder I’m not writing a column fort the blog anymore!

11. lawdog says:

Here’s the copied except that doesn’t look like it was written by a drunken old man:

NEWS FLASH! From the MLB Bottom Feeder:

Ladies and Germs. Let me introduce the Dodger’s #4 starter for next season: “GAME OVER GAGNE”. He’ll replace Kuroda who was so toasty last year he burned his own ass. Haeger is still the #5.

RON CEY signed to play third!

Dodgerland was all LaLa again last night when Jed announced the potential signing of Ron Cey to battle fellow geezer Casey Blake for the starting third base position. Said Cey, “Too bad Blake isn’t a left handed hitter. If he was, we could platoon at the position. But even though I’m 87 years old now, Blake can’t hit his way out of a paper bag and will definitely have to settle for being the most expensive utility man/pinch hitter in the majors.

12. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

Here is what I said in it’s entirity about Blake:

“To those of you who expect Casey Blake to have a bad year at 37, just look back at Brooks Robinson, Mike Schmidt and Pete Rose at 37. If a guy takes care of himself, there no reason he can’t be at his peak then and I think that Casey Blake, while not in the category of the three above-mentioned 3B, is a candidate to do as good, probably better than last year.”

No where do I say that he could do something similar to the above players (although offensively he’s similar to Robinson in career BA and other averages). I simply said that he could do just as well or better than last year COMPARED TO HIMSELF!

These are just players who didn’t have a decline at 37, and I don’t expect Blake to have one either.

Geeeezzzz!

13. Mark Timmons says:

… and when a guy has a career year, I would expect him to surpass every main statistical career high. Casey has a high of 28 HR, a high of 88 RBI and a high of .289 in BA, so a career year would be 29 HR/89 RBI and a .290 BA – while I don’t anticipate that, it could happen… and it would be sweet!

Blake is a late bloomer, who has became a much better 3B over the past 3 years. He’ smart and hard-working so a career year at 37 wouldn’t be outrageous.

14. lawdog says:

This just in:

DODGERS ANNOUNCE PRIVATE WHIRLPOOLS ON BENCH FOT GEEZING PLAYERS!

The Dodgers have become the first team in the majors to provide individual private whirlpools for each of it’s aging players right down at field level on the bench. Each player will also be provided individual medical treatment from a physician of their choosing to be paid for by the interest now accumulating on the back loaded principle left remaining to be paid to these players over the next 1000 years…

OK ok.

But, in quoting what you said about Blake in it’s “entirity” you left out this part:

Casey Blake didn’t have his career year last year – he will have it in 2010.

Do you really believe, like the names you mention above, Casey Blake will play into his 40′s?

Ron Cey hit .232 when he was 37. Eddie Mathews hit .212 when he was 37. Then of course there was Boggs and Brett, who basically hit what their career averages were. If Casey does that, he will hit .266.

Like I said, if we are lucky he will hit .270.

Where you bin ldog? Say, did you read Taibbi’s 2-17 piece in the R.S. this month? If you haven’t, you are going to love it. Classic.

16. mark says:

That was part of the dream ~ most of which won’t happen…

But some of it will.

A lot of the 3b you mentioned were smokers which doesn’t promote longivity!

What is it with this “geezer” thing? Certainly the Dodgers have their share of older players, but lots of young ones too. So let’s look at the WORLD CHAMPION Yankees.

Sometime during the season (or before) the following players will be the following ages:

Jeter = 36
    Posada = 39
    Arod = 35
    Pettitte = 38
    Mariano Rivera = 40

And they have other lesser known geezers (or geezers to be).

So what’s the point about highlighting Dodger geezers?

No doubt that Casey Blake could suddenly decline. But it’s also just as likely that he could have a typical .260 – .270, 18 – 25 HR year. Same for Manny (not the numbers). So what? When it happens it happens, and there is no way to predict when it will happen, or not.

I think that is what I said Brooklyn – Casey will have a typical Casey Blake year. His career avg. is .266. He will hit in the mid teens in HR’s and have around 70 rbi’s – that is if he stays on the field. To think he will have a “career” year is naive in my opinion. Sure it could happen. And one of us could win the lottery too – but I wouldn’t count on it.

Sometimes I think mover throws this stuff out there just to get me lit up. He has been doing this for years. “Game Over Gagne”? Give us a break. 80 home runs and 240 rbi’s? Not gonna happen. Jamie gets nothing in the divorce? Child’s thinking.

But last I checked we are still favorites to win the West. We are supposed to do it. Let’s get this party started.

19. ken says:

More proof today that we need an EDIT button

1. [...] View full post on LADodgerTalk.com – Get Your Daily Dodger Juice, Dodger News and Dodger Rumors [...]