Twitter Tells: Here’s What Ned Did Next

Twitter Tells: Here’s What Ned Did Next

We learned today, from Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times and Ken Gurnick of MLB.com that the Dodgers signed Ronnie Belliard to what appears to be an $825k one year deal. The deal is said to also have about $250k in incentives, which pushes the deal over the million dollar mark.

We also learned that the Dodgers have apparently also signed Brand Ausmus to a one year deal believed to be close to the million dollar mark, via Buster Olney on Twitter.

I feel that Belliard has always been a professional hitter that can play good defense from time to time as well. He performed admirably last season batting .351 while with the Dodgers. His season average was around .277 so it is very clear that hitting in the mighty Dodgers lineup was a huge advantage.

Here is another reason why I like this deal. After watching the team from the field, dugout, and locker room last season as the representative of LADodgerTalk.com I got to see how much the other players really enjoyed his antics. To be more specific, Manny, Furcal, and Belliard were like the three musketeers! Its their culture and passion for baseball that bind these Latin all-stars. And I guarantee that Manny and Furcal have just improved a notch in 2010 because they will have this “Mini-Manny” with his jovial antics and mouth full of food constantly around all season.

This move makes us very versatile and deep with our infield, which I have learned is very important over the long season.

The Ausmus signing was great too. He also hit admirably in limited time as a backup last season. He hit .295 in about 107 at bats. His biggest assets to the team are the veteran leadership and defense. I think that Martin will get more rest this season as well. Even though Martin cut down his innings caught he still lead the league and there has to be some fatigue factor there. Although seeing Martin in the locker room I can tell you that he is VERY good shape, ripped with muscle head to toe. But catching an entire season is enough to make even Lance Armstrong fold.

More importantly on the Ausmus signing was that the Giants and the Padres got denied! So plus plus on the Ausmus deal!

Looks like good ole Ned was a very busy boy today!

UPDATE: Dodgers.com JUST now broke the story on Belliard. Still not official report on Ausmus but I am sure it is coming soon, as Gurnick states in his Belliard story.

About Miguel Salcido

Professional online marketing consultant, husband, father, completely obsessed Dodgers fan, writer, speaker, and all around sports fan. I represented LADodgerTalk.com in the press box at Dodger Stadium last season. My favorite player is Orel Hershiser. I am currently grooming my 2 and 4 year old boys as avid Dodgers fans. Follow me on Twitter, http://twitter.com/ladodgertalk. Oh, and I hate the Giants.

30 Responses to “Twitter Tells: Here’s What Ned Did Next”

Not terrible. Not ideal but not terrible. My hope is now Belly will share time with DeWitt and Carroll will be our supersub (Mark Loretta). Ausmus is a great player/coach and tutor for Russ Martin. I would have preferred a Lopez or Cabrerra but I can live with this.

2. Just in, Jon Garland signs with the Padres.

What a drag, the lowly Padres can afford Garland but we can’t??? It’s pretty obvious that he wanted to stay in LA/SoCal as he’s a native. At least the Giants didn’t get him!

Wow that is kind of shocking. Garland was solid with us the last month. I don’t get why he is not in higher demand.I suppose we wouldn’t need a rotation full of #4 starters. Oh well, San Diegos rotation is no slouch, and that is just in the young starters they have. We shall see.

4. Rory says:

Belliard all year is ok with me. I would rather have Hudson, but, I doubt he would come back here even if we could afford him – which we can’t. As I mentioned on the other thread, I think DeWitt’s days are numbered. He won’t make the club out of ST and that leaves him one option – go to AAA and tear it up so you can be moved to a team that will play you and the Dodgers can get a pitcher later.

DeWitt in a three way package to the Padres for Garland come July 31th.

I still don’t know why Garland didn’t make the post season roster. I have heard nothing explaining that. We send a great prospect to a rival for this guy, he wins a couple of games for us down the stretch and we bench him come play-off time? What? – Bills, Wolf, Kershaw and Kuroda were enough to take down the Cards, the Phillies and the Yankees? I don’t know who was behind that thinking but they were wrong.

5. I still believe that DeWitt will compete for the job in Spring and that it is nobody’s job at the moment. If Belliard outplays him in Spring then he’ll start, and the same goes for DeWitt. I like a little competition and I know that DeWitt has been working is arse off all off season. He has played and participated in absolutely EVERY single thing that he can. Dominican Winter ball, Dodgers mini-camp, etc. He is definitely trying to take advantage of the opportunity.

That being said I think that if he cannot pull it together this season, in this lineup, then we just never will and that season he had in ’08 was a fluke.

6. Ty says:

It’s a great signing. I wanted a DeWitt/Belliard platoon at the start of the off season if we were going to go cheap at 2B. DeWitt vs righties and Belly vs lefties who he rakes. We also needed a hitter off the bench since Loretta and his .230 BA would be gone and that’s what Belliard does: hit!

The big problem with this signing has nothing to do with Belliard. It’s Jamey Carroll. Why in the hell did we waste money on this guy? Belliard and Carroll are the same players in terms of position (2B and 3B). Our bench is now:

C Ausmus, 2B/3B Belliard, 2B/3B Carroll, 1B Mientkiewicz, OF Repko/Paul

If Torre elects to carry 12 arms which was what he did most of last season then we don’t have a guy that can back up Furcal at SS. Sure, Carroll and to a lesser degree Belliard can play SS for a few inning during an emergency and so can DeWitt but none of these guys can start at SS when Furcal sits (and Furcal needs his days off with his injury history).

Why in the hell did we sign Jamey Carroll????????

Wow my alter ego is posting at another blog. Maybe there is an alternative universe.

Ty, while you were posting, I was working on the same thoughts, so here is some of my thinking:
    All right, I am counting noses again. 2 catchers, 5 infielders (with 2 switching at second base and both bat right handed), 3 outfielders == that is 10.

I believe that Joe will break camp with 12 or more likely 13 pitchers (the pen will be very busy that first month as the starters get their feet or sea legs).

If 12 pitchers, that leaves 13 fielders. Not knowing about trades or injures, super surprises out of camp —

Martin – right
    Ausmus – right

Loney – left
    Belliard – right – a career .275 hitter with some power
    Carroll – right – a career .273 hitter with no power; $3.85 million for 2 years
    Furcal – switch
    Blake – right

Manny – right
    Kemp – right
    Ethier – left

That is 10 so far. And a starting 8 would have 6 right-handed facing a lefty.
    Or, facing a righty – 3 left-handed hitters. (Furcal is a switch hitter, as we know.)

I think Joe would want:

Mientkiewicz – left – 1b, to back up Loney and start from time to time, a needed left handed bat.

Not including any surprises – that leaves only 1 and possibly 2 slots left. One has to be the 4th outfielder, so big battle between Repko (right handed) or Paul (left handed) – I pull for Paul, strong arm, strong bat; Repko just cannot hit major league hitting up to this point.

If Joe only has 12 pitchers, then one more fielder, here are three. Most likely the hand hot going out of Spring Training.

Nick Green is a .239 hitter with little power
    Hu – right inf. – s.s., 2b, 3b
    DeWitt – left 2b, 3b

I agree with Ty about Carroll. Jamie Xmas Carroll got more money then Bellard? What a joke. We could have used that money for another #4 starter or someone that could backup SS. Ned must have misread the market and felt the need to grab a utility player early. With that being said, I like the moves that Ned made today. It looks like Belly or DeWitt will be taking ground balls at SS this spring. I can’t see Hu making the squad because why waste a spot on the bench for a glove. As Mark mentioned last week, Castro will be missed.

I guess DeWitt should have used the opportunity to tear up AAA last year. He missed his chance to force the Dodgers to bring him up this year for a real shot at starting. You can’t give a major league job to a guy that didn’t stand out in AAA last year. It’s not the Dodgers fault that they felt the need to bring in a 2nd basemen. DeWitt’s only chance will be to just rip it up in the spring. One more starter would be nice but we have inhouse options if another bargin doesn’t jump into our arms. The team is shaping up pretty nice for a divorcee team.

I forgot about Green. I guess he’s the 2010 Castro. .239 avg?

11. Elli Light says:

Rory

Don’t back down, hold your ground, he will frown.

12. Rory says:

Well you guys are right about this infield situation. I know Miguel believes there will be competition at 2b but we didn’t sign both Carroll and Belliard to compete for a roster spot. They are on the team which makes DeWitt the poster boy for superfluous. And what about Mintcaveitch? Does he still work for the Dodgers? And if we are going to have a back-up late inning guy, shouldn’t it be someone who can actually field the position? In my book, that is Hu.

Who is in charge here? It’s like we are playing Scrabble with all vowels.

Rory, are you saying: the 2010 Dodgers are like a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle, and what is on the table are only 985 pieces, and of those, 27 pieces are from two different other puzzles. So describe the picture? Can you finish it?

Maybe Repko begins taking ground balls at SS, his old position. I will have to disagree with Badger about Hu being the guy that makes the roster. In fact I am betting that Badger really doesn’t believe that Hu will make the roster. With limited bench players, you are going to need someone that can swing a bat. I have zero faith in Hu’s ability to swing a bat in the Major Leagues. His chances of success are the same with or without a bat when he steps into the batters box. Castro will be missed unless Nick Green becomes the missing link. Stay tuned …………….. The Xmas Carroll saga continues at Camelback.

15. A Shot of Haeger says:

Belliard’s contract is non guaranteed… so he isn’t a lock to make the roster, even though it would take a miracle for him not to make it. For all the uncertainty of this offseason and the future..all will be well if Charlie Haeger is the 5th starter

Also, why to we need a late inning backup guy at SS? I can’t remember ever pinch hitting for Furcal? I’m thinking of rest at that position.

• Ty says:

Furcal doesn’t come out when he starts but he’s got a bad injury history so he’ll need a good amount of days off. That means we need a legit SS that can start once or twice a week. Carroll can play SS for a few innings but it’d be too much for him to start a game or two per week at a position that he doesn’t really play.

I really hope DeWitt gets his chance to play. I won’t expect much but we already know what Belliard and Carroll can do (Belly rakes lefties, Carroll is strictly a back up). I hope DeWitt can play SS when Furcal sits. That’s the only solution if we keep all 3 2B on the roster along with 12 arms.

to = do

I am going to assume that the Dodgers carry 12 pitchers. That means there will be 8 starters and 5 guys on the bench. Although there will likely be a platoon at 2B, I will, to simplify matters, make DeWitt one of the 8 starters, and put his likely platoon mates on the bench.

As things stand now, the 5 bench guys might be the following:

Ausmus – there has to be a backup catcher.

Carroll – despite criticism of his signing, he has a history of being a good pinch hitter, even if he doesn’t have power.

Belliard – can’t imagine at this time that he wouldn’t be on the opening day roster. Solid bat off the bench when he’s not starting.

Paul/Repko – I prefer Paul. I’ve also heard that the Dodgers could have some interest in Frank Catalanotto. Given the predominance of righthanded hitters on the bench, I don’t see how Repko makes it. FYI, Catalanotto is a lefthanded hitter.

Mientkiewicz/Hu/Green – Hu and Green are the pure shortstops other than Furcal, and Mientkiewicz has the lefthanded bat to provide more pinch hitting balance.

Unlike some, I still think DeWitt has the bat to hold down 2B, especially if he faces predominantly righthanded pitchers in a platoon. He has a nice swing, is patient at the plate, and has some pop in his bat. If his offseason work has paid off, he could even be an adequate defender, and maybe perhaps a little better. I’m not counting him out, and do believe that he will get a legitimate shot to start at 2B.

If changes become necessary, it’s possible that the Dodgers will be in a financially sound position by the time the mid-season trading dealdline rolls around. Not overspending now might be part of a plan for the Dodgers to keep their powder dry going into the July trade deadline.

All we can do is wait and see. I’m sure there will be moves that we con’t antiipate. There always are.

19. Jaydavis says:

Maybe Blake DeWitt will beat out Casey Blake, as for a SS backup, that would be Angele Berroa. Why would the dodgers sign Jamie Carrol for two years, I don’t understand this—- Ned had to waste money some how—Lowery could be next
    J

20. Rory says:

The way I see it, we have 3 second baseman (one of which could back up Blake) and 1 shortstop.

Maybe you guys are right about DeWitt and he will win the second base job. From his performance at AAA last year I would say his chances are not that good. And as far as Hu is concerned, he hit considerably better at Albuquerque than did DeWitt. I don’t know how that translates to the Major Leagues, but clearly he is a better defender than any of our 3 second baseman. I always thought he was the SS replacement until that vision thing happened. I have no idea where his career is now, but .294 at AAA tells me he might be back. If he isn’t, in my mind we have no back up shortstop.

Roger, in response to how I see this playing out? I don’t know, I will have to think about that. These moves are somewhat confusing to me. I don’t know what Jed is thinking, never have really. I don’t understand the Carroll signing. That move changes everything for me. I use Hu in that roster spot. He is cheap and can play both middle infield positions. Belliard I get, he is this year’s Loretta. And as I have already stated, I don’t want a young player like Paul sitting on his ass on my bench. I want him getting 5 at bats a night against the best pitching he can see – and that is at AAA. As it stands right now my bench has Repko, Mientkiewicz, and Belliard. Carroll is the starting second baseman and DeWitt starts the year at AAA and he knows he must pull a Loney like performance there if he is going to get a sniff.

And I had never considered Jay’s suggestion – that DeWitt beats out Blake. If that happens, and Blake could be moved, that would solve the problem wouldn’t it.

Anyone heard anything on Eric Bedard? His price must be dropping as we get closer to ST. I hear he has attitude issues (besides his arm trouble) that are making some teams shy away . He might be had on a 1 year flyer.

I talked to a friend yesterday that reminded me who Felipe Lopez’s agent is….Scott Boras. Maybe I am not suprised we didn’t entertain him being our 2B in 2010. A little bird told me he will be in St. Louis this year as either a 2B or 3B. Look for that to happen as camps get closer to kicking off.

I hear we will be watching Noah Lowery (greatest pitching name ever, No-allow errie) soon! Lowery would fit perfectly in Ned’s “Bring the Giants south” plan. We signed Russ Ortiz. After We sign Lowery we might go after Randy Winn who still needs a job. Hell, dig up Kirk Rueter too. I wonder what Benito Santiago is doing?

Peace

There are a few players the Dodgers have that seem to be more of the career AAA guys . . . who might really liked to be traded and play in the major leagues with another teams — hard to get the major league stats for the Hall of Fame, back down at AAA.

23. GoNzO says:

What I’m wondering is why didn’t we pursue Chris Duncan, a guy that can play the corner OF and 1b. This guy has some pop and can fill in quite well if a starter goes down. But like someone said earlier, SpEd is working on Giants south.

Here is another example of what goes around, comes around, and just what we know and do not know — clear?

Miguel Cario. Back in 1990, the Dodgers signed him. He played in the minor leagues for awhile; I saw him play here in San Antonio. Then started his travels and his bank account:

In 1995 the Dodgers traded him and Willis OTANEZ to Seattle for MIKE BLOWERS. Then he kept moving around:

1998 Tampa Bay Devil Rays $195,000
    1999 Tampa Bay Devil Rays $235,000
    2000 Tampa Bay Devil Rays $295,000
    2001 Cubs & Cardinals ???
    2002 St. Louis Cardinals $600,000
    2003 St. Louis Cardinals $850,000
    2004 New York Yankees $900,000
    2005 New York Mets $900,000
    2006 New York Yankees $1,000,000
    2007 New York Yankees $750,000
    2008 Seattle Mariner $850,000
    2009 Philadelphia Phillies $500,000
    Career (i incomplete) $7,075,000 Probably closer to $8 million.

Cairo has made over $7 million for a career hardly noticed. In the major leagues with 1,227 games played in. 3,361 ABs. 28 HRs, 320 RBIs and a career .266 batting average.

In 4 of those years, he played in postseason, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2009 and hitting a combined .303, in 77 plate appearances.

In his so far 14 seasons, he has played, everything but catcher.

And we cut him out by trading him way back in 1995. Is not life wonderful.

Now he is with the Reds.

[ I have tried to post this 3 times and still do not see it; so again ]

1998 Tampa Bay Devil Rays $195,000
    1999 Tampa Bay Devil Rays $235,000
    2000 Tampa Bay Devil Rays $295,000
    2001 Cubs & Cardinals ???
    2002 St. Louis Cardinals $600,000
    2003 St. Louis Cardinals $850,000
    2004 New York Yankees $900,000
    2005 New York Mets $900,000
    2006 New York Yankees $1,000,000
    2007 New York Yankees $750,000
    2008 Seattle Mariner $850,000
    2009 Philadelphia Phillies $500,000
    Career (i incomplete) $7,075,000 Probably closer to $8 million.

In his so far 14 seasons, he has played, everything but catcher.

And we cut him out by trading him way back in 1995. Is not life wonderful.

Now he is with the Reds.

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by BlueCrueNews and LADodgerTalk.com, Antonio Becerra. Antonio Becerra said: RT @ladodgertalk Dodgers sign Belliard and Ausmus to one year deals. http://bit.ly/9DUvCx [...]

2. [...] View full post on LADodgerTalk.com – Get Your Daily Dodger Juice, Dodger News and Dodger Rumors [...]