Maybe The Dodgers Are Telling The Truth…

Maybe The Dodgers Are Telling The Truth…

Maybe it is business as usual.

Maybe it’s really not “the divorce” that is keeping the Dodgers out of the Free Agent Market.

Maybe the Dodger brass has concluded that paying big bucks (in most cases) for Free Agents simply isn’t worth it.

The Dodgers sought a CF for a few years and signed Juan Pierre and Andruw Jones over Aaron Rowand, Gary Matthews, Jr. and Torri Hunter.  Only Hunter was a wise signing, but it didn’t get the Angels a title.  Big bucks spent on Jason Schmidt was wasted and there are lots of stories like that on the market.

Even the money for Manny could have ben allocated better.

Maybe the Dodgers have decided that by waiting they might get a much better deal.  Maybe this was decided BEFORE the divorce.

Belliard isn’t signed – he could be a bargin.

Sheets, Padilla, Garland – all might be had for a song.  Or maybe, the Dodgers will just wait until the trade deadline and get what they want.

By the way, we got our CF from “within.”

Sometimes, it’s best to make a list of who you want and go in that direction, instead of just settling for “who’s available!”

Of course, if the Dodgers are heading that direction, they have no obligation to tell you or me.  In fact, they would be silly to do so.

Watch and see – I have a hunch everyone is wrong about the Dodgers!

25 Responses to “Maybe The Dodgers Are Telling The Truth…”

1. train says:

A very good thot,and I surely hope you’re assumption is the correct one. In the matter of FA, I will agree that without looking at each case individually, the $ amounts do seem unwise and in most cases the money spent is foolish.

2. billw says:

i agree. and i think it is the best way. we will pick up either padilla or garland for what we want to pay and mcdonald and our other young guys will be there. i think that our 2nd base will be in good hands with dewitt. we are going to be there.

3. SpokaneBob says:

Tomarrow the players who have filed arbitration exchange numbers with the team. By the end of the month we should have reached agreement with these players and have a better idea of where we stand payroll wise. The first two weeks in February is when we will find the best deals on free agents. We will just have to wait and see what happens. I am sure that if someone is available that can help the team we will explore the situation. Players are likly to be more “reasonable” with their salery demands as we get closer to spring training. If we don’t sign anyone I still feel we will have a good season going with what we have. The talent we have in our core allows us to give DeWitt and some of our young pitchers a chance to establish themselves.

4. Rory says:

Everybody can’t be wrong. Somebody out there has to be right.

And, maybe in some ways we all are.

Bob I would prefer we give our youngsters a chance one at a time. DeWitt has been here, so has McDonald so maybe they won’t be as intimidated by the whole thing. Unless DeWitt does something he has never done before – hit around .280 and field his position like a wizard, he is a downgrade over what we had last year. Starting pitching was a problem for us last year, and we lost one of our best, so, I don’t see how we are showing improvement there. I would take Wolf over any names mentioned above. The bench is definitely weaker with Pierre gone. Bullpen should be fine.

We should be competitive, at least for a while. But, I hold no hope of a championship for next year. My biggest hope is still for a new owner. And who knows, maybe with mcJamie gone, McNoNickels can focus and BE that new owner I want. I am willing to wait and see. What choice do I have really.

Don’t rain on our parade!! From the “The Dodger prospects”

Pinerio and the Mets put a knife in the free agent salary balloon last week. Things have changed, and 2010 free agents salaries will get back to normal soon. The Dodger brass now has an idea regarding the potential arbitration salaries. Wild Card here we come!!

Long term the Dodgers need to add, on average, one rookie per year to the starting lineup or they are not being successful in the rumored build from within strategy. Watson, what will you do for the Dodgers this year?

“Maybe the Dodgers have decided that by waiting they might get a much better deal. Maybe this was decided BEFORE the divorce.”

Thought of before the divorce and implemented because of the divorce.

I am tired of talking about how great the present Dodger ownership loves the team and that the Dodgers will be fine in 2010.

Holding basically pat so far, and loosing a great 4th outfielder, and several key pitchers — is like Badger has said, going a bit backwards.

The elite teams in base and even the stronger teams — have made themselves even stronger with key moves. Or, just trying.

The Dodgers have not done that so far this off-season.

We are not as good, so far.

And if McCourt was serious, he would have made a few moves. Maybe it will happen in the next month or so.

Will some one explain to me two things.

Why Mrs. McCourt needs $450,000 per month for living expenses?

And, where does that money come from? That is over $5,000,000 a year.

8. Ty says:

Why sign Belliard when we have Nick Green and Jamey Carroll? They will lead us to a title!

9. McCheapness says:

Hahahaha … No wonder you were locked up for 7 years…

10. mark says:

McCheapness,

Are you always this stupid or are you making a special effort today? I mean, everybody has a right to be stupid now and then, but you are abusing the privledge.

11. I, for one, am happy that we have not spent much money yet. I think that signing Carrol wasn’t really a great move at all though! Which is another reason why I’m happy we aren’t spending just to spend anymore. The FA class was weak this off season, we all knew it would be.

I am pretty happy with our young talent and feel that more of those arms need more innings in the biggs in order to mature. So I am all for giving one of them at the starting rotation. I know for a fact that we will add AT LEAST one proven pitcher. And I would not mind Pineiro but I would also not give him too much money either because well, last season was a fluke for him statistically! He is unlikely to reproduce his form from last season and paying him based on last season’s stats would just be a poor decision.

I’d be happy with Padilla at one year with lots of incentives to keep him motivated. And then an in-season pickup on the cheap as needed.

What Miquel said. It is very very very wet here. Flooding across the southlands.

13. McCheapness says:

Usually when I respond to an idiot, I act like an idiot..

14. mark says:

Here’s the deal Mario, I mean McCrap,

If I’m an idiot, you don’t have to read what I write.

To read what an idiot writes, one must first be an idiot himself.

I am just glad to see you’ve set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.

Dealing with you is about as challenging as stealing candy from a bi-polar baby in a bell-jar. Tell me, Are you typing with your forehead, again?

You are living proof that there is always one more imbecile than you counted on, but I will stop because I have learned to never wrestle a pig – You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• Ken says:

Mark – Maybe Mario is just a Jerry Lewis want to be. Afer all Jerry said “I’ve had great success being a total idiot.”

15. Mark Timmons says:

He just needs to get a glass belly button, so when his head is so far up his butt, he can look out and see what the rest of the world is up to.

16. Rory says:

I don’t know Miguel, I thought there were, and are still, a few very good FA this off season. Cliff Lee and John Lackey could have helped us. Joel Pineiro, Erik Bedard, Jason Marquis, Aroldis Chapman, Randy Wolf, Jon Garland, Jarrod Washburn, or Andy Pettitte might have won a spot in our rotation. Orlando Hudson is good second baseman and we need a starter there. I would rather have had DeRosa over Carroll and Chone Figgins is a definite upgrade over the “Foundation”. And there were a couple of very good outfielders and several relievers but we don’t really need any of those.

There were several players that if signed would have helped all of us to feel better about our chances. Fact of the matter is, the Dodgers are not serious free agent players for glaringly obvious reasons.

Change, what Badger said

18. JIM D. says:

Mark,
    I know you will join me in shouting, GO COLTS !!!!

19. Bootz says:

Blah blah blah. Speculation is exactly that. All those big name signings can be argued against from the beginning. Give me CC, Teixera, etc…. And if that goes wrong, then start talking. Wolf was had for a bargain.

20. Mark Timmons says:

Jim,

Go Horse!

But, the Jets scare me…

21. Harold says:

We can whine and complain all we want about how much money we have or don’t have, our willingness or reluctance to spend it, what other teams did, etc. We can speculate that Mr. mcCourt has not made enough available or is in a straight jacket because of the divorce proceedings. That really gets us no where.

My personal take is that we are treading water, for whatever reasons we may think, and will do so again next year. In 2012 we break free from the financial chains that restrain us. Those chains are not Mr. McCourt as spending money endlessly has never gotten us and most teams anywhere. After almost a billion dollars on free agents we are still struggling to get and maintain a competitive edge. We are on the perimeter now.

The reason I say we break free in 2012 is that we will be free of a large portion of deferred money(still owing Manny and Andruw) and we will be free of hefty contracts to Casey, Raffy, Manny and Kuroda. I just don’t think we will take on another now unless it is for one year, two at the most. I fully expect that in 2012 we will have the money to meet the salary demands of our young players as free agents and to add necessary pieces. Do I want to wait until 2012? No, defintely not, but it is better than the option of taking on more big contracts now and losing our young players as free agents as a result of that.

Had we not had the recent financial disasters of Schmidt, Jones, JP, etc.and overpaid for other players, we would be in a position to sign our young players long term now or bring on a couple of needed pieces. However, we did, so we have to wait it out and be in a position to sign our young players as they reach free agency, which will be 2012.

GO DODGERS!!

22. Mark says:

In my mind, one of the overlooked losses to our team was Juan Castro. Why we didn’t re-sign him instead of Jamey Carroll really puzzles me. He was more than adequate in filling-in for Furcal when he needed a day off and he was versatile enough to play 2nd and 3rd when needed. Oh well, and by the way, guess who was the team that did sign Castro? Yep,………..the Phillies!

23. chucky says:

Please edit out McCheapness, I am sick of his negativity. Lets discuss/argue the Dodgers not get personal on anyone. With that said…

I do like the idea of going with the “kids” and I think the dodgers have supported them by signing them up. It is interesting who got a two year contract vs. a one year contract. That should be motativation for those that got the one year contract to “put up or shut up”. We are still needing one (or maybe two) starters but waiting until they get desperate is a great strategy. I agree that I think that the divorce has nothing to do with the operations of the Dodgers and all those “insiders” that say they have “financial issues” are offbase. I do think that the second base situation is interesting, will Dewitt be ready or is Carroll any good?? I still have a gut feeling that with the signing of Carroll that something is in the works that will include Hu, as too many teams are looking for someone just like that.

Just a bunch of feelings. GO DODGERS, PEACE