July 30, 2010

July 30, 2010

Los Angeles – In what has to be somewhat of a surprise, the Dodgers made two major announcements today.  The first announcement has to do with the divorce proceedings of Frank and Jamie McCourt who agreed to a continuance of their May hearing:

The McCourt’s announced that they have resolved their personal issues and that Jamie will keep all personal property, vehicles, art and personal items.  She also agreed to a $100,000,000.00 payment (payable over 5 years at 6% interest) from Frank McCourt, and assumes her role as CEO of the Dodgers Dream Foundation which will be funded by a $8 million a year grant from the Dodgers.  In return, Frank McCourt gets sole ownership of the Dodgers and has agreed to hire all their sons as club executives.

Next, Ned Colletti took the dais and said that this is a big burden off the Dodgers and made the following announcement:  “The Dodgers have just completed a blockbuster trade with the Seattle Mariners, who have fallen 26 games below .500. whereby  Chris Withrow, Ethan Martin, Aaron Miller, Josh Lindblom, Scott Elbert, Casey Blake and  James McDonald have been traded to the Blue Jays for Cliff Lee, Chone Figgins and Felix Hernandez.  Hernandez has agreed to to a six-year/$125 million deal and Lee has agreed to a 4 year/$90 mil deal.  Our lineup will look like this right now:

1. Figgins  3B
  2. Furcal SS
  3. Kemp  CF
  4. Manny  LF
  5. Ethier  RF
  6. Martin  C
  7. Loney  1B
  8. DeWitt 2B

Our Rotation now looks like this as we ready for the stretch run:

Hernandez, Lee, Billingsley, Kershaw, Kuroda.

Colletti continued:  “With the expiring contracts of Ramirez and Kuroda, we we able to take on more payroll since the ownership issue was resolved and our lenders opened their pockets again.  If we had made all the dope-fiend moves suggested on LaDodgerTalk.com, we would have never had the flexibility to pull this off.  Sure, we gave up a lot, but we are going to win this thing!   I’m glad I listened to Mark Timmons….”

31 Responses to “July 30, 2010”

Lawdog,

If Piniero ever had “OVERPOWERING STUFF”, it must have around 2002 or 2003.

2. steevo17 says:

Whatever you’re on Mark…I want some too.

Nice dream though…

3. MCCHEAPNESS says:

HAHAHAHAHA WTF!!!

4. GoNzO says:

WHat up Mario? Didn’t get again?

McMarioness, What’s up?

Wow , According to Mark we are going to get two of the best starting pitchers in the Majors in just one quick trade. I’m in..
    Now back to reality…
    Step away from the pipe slowly……..

7. Mark Timmons says:

Hello, my alarm just went off. What’s up?

8. Rory says:

Without dreams, sleep is 8 hours of nothing.

Mark is what Steven Wright calls a color blind peripheral visionary. He can see far into the future… it’s just way off to one side and it’s all blue.

If we had made all the dope-fiend moves suggested on LaDodgerTalk.com, we would have never had the flexibility to pull this off. Sure, we gave up a lot, but we are going to win this thing! I’m glad I listened to Mark Timmons

Uh Ned, those dope fiend moves you refer to were actually suggested by Mr. Timmons.

Mark has been re-evaluated by his medical team and his medications rescripted. We all anticipate his long overdue recovery will be a speedy one.

9. Mark Timmons says:

I’m (twich) fine, (twitch) I tell you! (drool)

The best part about this dream Mark had is we send all our talent to the Blue Jays and get a boat load of talent from the Mariners! Very unique and inventive!

July 30, 2010 — Here is what Mark did not tell you about that date. I just saw the newspaper this morning. The Dodgers have played 102 games thus far in 2010 and their record is – 42 wins and 60 loses or 18 games below .500). They are in last place in the N.L. West and the attendance is at an all-time low.

• Rory says:

So, what you are saying is, there is no where to go but up.

12. Mark Timmons says:

I believe that we would win 85-88 games with the team as it stands!

• Rory says:

I believe that we would win 85-88 games with the team as it stands!

That is certainly possible.

So, how many games do the Rockies win? The Dbacks? The Giants?

What I hear you saying is, this current Dodger team is not a play-off team. And, I agree with that.

This year we mark time. By mid July, we should know which way the wind blows and have a better idea exactly how bad off we are.

13. steevo17 says:

Maybe the Blue Jays, actually from Toronto (Mark), sent the Mariners, actually from Seattle (Mark), their own blockbuster group of players to complete the trade for us…Romo did you ever think of that?

It could happen…

14. steevo17 says:

hahahahahahaha…

I think that fans should sit in Dodger Stadium, for one game only, like in tradition, people sit at weddings.

Home plate around third base, left field to center — for HER.

Home plate around first base, right field to center — for HIM.

16. Mike says:

Pass it over. Thanks!

17. Rory says:

Stole this from another site:

“From rotoworld…

During an appearance on Sirius XM’s Home Plate channel, Matt Kemp’s agent Dave Stewart said he was progressing on a two-year deal with the Dodgers.

Stewart said that “the uncertainty of ownership” is the primary reason why the deal would be so short in length. Quickly emerging as a star, the 25-year-old Kemp hit .297/.352/.490 with 26 homers, 34 stolen bases and 101 RBI with the Dodgers last season. He is under team control through 2012.”

Finally somebody admits something about the uncertainty of ownership. Duh. But, the good news is, Matt Kemp may stick around long enough that he may see new ownership.

New ownership. That’s my plan and I’m sticking to it.

If today was the deadline for the 25 man roster, here is my wish for the fielding players. I do not want to even go near the pitching side, which should be 12; that leaves 13 for the field:

catching: Martin & either Ellis or May (unless Ausmus is signed).
    infield: Loney, DeWitt, Furcal, Blake.
    Outfield: Ramirez, Kemp, Ethier.
    That is 9 players, 4 to go. Here is the problem.

One might think, ah, 2 infielders, 2 outfielders. Or, at least 1 guy that can play both to strengthen up on the other.

Possible: Mientkiewicz (made it last year, then hurt early), Gibbons from Baltimore, Nick Green, Jamey Carroll. And the standbys Hu, Paul, Repko.

I looked up Gibbons. Wow. Nice beginning of his ML career. Then injuries, eye problem, and he was on several “lists.” Played street ball last year for awhile. 32 years old.

Jamey Carroll has a 2-year contract with L.A.

Nick Green, interesting past, even pitched 2 scoreless innings for the Red Sox.

I throw up my hands — too many guys for the 4 slots. I have no idea what Joe will do with Ned’s approval.

But I really feel that in today’s game, players do need a bit of rest during the season, and, some injuries will occur. Pierre proved that having a good outfielder on the bench kept the Dodgers in the race. With Pierre, we would have lost more game while Manny was out, and that would have put us out of the post season.

This will be tough. And, Joe might want to start the season with 13 pitchers since most of the starters will be good to make 5 or 6 innings.

19. Tommy Blackjack says:

I think if through some magical freak accident this could happen, shouldn’t we put Figgins at second and let Dewitt play his natural position at third?

20. Mark Timmons says:

I may be in the minority, but I don’t think DeWitt has the arm to play 3B everday.

21. Rory says:

Any player under the age of 30 should be able to play at least 150 games and get well over 600 plate appearances. The guys we will need to rest early and often are Furcal, Blake, Manny and Martin. Kemp, Ethier, Loney are the everyday anchors. I would like to know if Martin can still play some 3b so he can rest his legs for about a dozen games and still get the at bats.

I don’t see a starting second baseman on this roster, and Repko as a 4th outfielder is fine with me, but he is no PH. I assume that role will be split between Minctcaveitch and whoever.

We still have some moves that need to made. I hope Jed has read Moneyball.

22. Blue Haze says:

Also, you are asking Blake DeWitt to be an “anchor” player as well (at least by default), he is no where in sight of being able to help the lineup like Ethier, Loney and Kemp would be asked to do.

I think what you are really saying, Badger, is this team has a bunch of players that can no longer play a long season.
    The Dodgers just have about two, too many elder statesmen on the team. Hard to give them all the rest you’d like to, unless and unknown freak appears in ST and wins a job (& ROY).

I have my doubts about Furcal this season, I don’t think he will hold up over the long haul.

I have my doubts about ManRam holding up as well. If he comes in to camp, on-time and in shape, he will be an animal. I just don’t believe he is going to come back in the best shape he can be.

Go Giants South!!!

23. Rory says:

“Question, if we “need to rest early and often” half of our everyday players, that seems to be asking a lot of a lineup. Doesn’t it Badger? I’m all for resting those guys but it just seems like it is hard to have 2 of these 4 players out of the line-up each pretty much each night.”

It’s asking a lot all right Haze, but I don’t rest more than player at a time. Every team has bench players for a reason, and that reason is to rest starters, especially in the dog days. If you have a great bench, you can do it early and often. If you don’t, and as of now, we do not, then the starters will be forced to stay in there. That could change with huge leads in your division, but I don’t see that happening for the Dodgers. In fact, I agree with Mark that we are a .500 team waiting to happen. If we are to be competitive, Kemp, Ethier, Martin and Loney are the guys that need to be in there for 150+ games. That’s the way I see it.

Like I said, I don’t think we can count on Furcal, Manny and Blake to play 150+. Martin could IF he played some games at 3b. And who do we have to sub for those guys? I still see no starting 2b on this team. We are going to miss the ODog, both on the field and in the lineup. You just can’t lose a Gold Glove All Star player and replace them with a question mark.

Like I said, Jed has his work cut out for him. This is a year he is really going to have to put in long hours at the office.

• Ken says:

That is an interesting theory, but Utley and Howard didn’t need any extra rest, and neither did Rodriguez and Jeter. All of those guys were there all year and actually had pretty good Post All Star stats.

And nobody’s starting pitchers got more rest than did the Dodgers.

Why do the Dodgers players fade when other teams players do not?

Actually I just checked the stats for pre and post All Star and the middle of our lineup didn’t fade at all. Kemp and Loney were just as good post, and Ethier and Furcal were better. Blake took a dump, but he was replaced by a hot Belliard. Martin also faded, which we really should address. Was it the loss of Hudson?

We ended up leading the NL in hitting and you just can’t improve on that – what did happen down the stretch? Nothing. We won the West.

Maybe the Phils were just better than us.

I am glad that the Dodgers are finally having a MLB player development training session at Camelback, even if it is just to encourage the Mongol Horde that is trying out for the 5th starter position. This should be very encoraging to the players. Or maybe the Dodgers are just kicking the tires on these kids to see if they had better sign 2 veteran pitchers for the 4th and 5th slots now that free agent salaries are starting to FALL!!!

25. Rory says:

Chase Utley – 156 games
    Ryan Howard – 160 games
    Derek Jeter – 153 games

They didn’t need extra rest.

Rodriguez was out the entire month of April but played the rest of the way.

The Dodgers have a weaker starting lineup this year and don’t have the same bench. Manny is a year older and no longer on steroids, Furcal may or may not be able to sustain a full year. I am not confident that at age 32 he can repeat last year’s numbers. And Blake will be 37 and is coming of leg issues. The point is, our lineup is weaker and our bench is questionable.

Ken, I am not sure what your point is. (?)

Several here has stated that Martin should play some games at 3b so to rest his legs.

Why?

Russell has to prove that he can hit better, first. Why some-what rest a player by moving him from catcher to 3b, just to watch him go 0 for 3 with a walk, or 1 for 4?

He use to be an infielder, but in reality, he would be out of position. Let a third baseman play third base. Russell can rest 20 to 25 games during the season — and rest those games — and be ready to pinch hit. If I recall, some games when he was out of the lineup, he came in late in the game because of the situation and finished up.

27. Rory says:

I would like to see him there for two reasons – 1. it rests his legs which might help his offense and b. who else we gonna put there that is a better hitter?