How Can Frank Afford This?

How Can Frank Afford This?

According to Ken Gurnick, the Dodgers minor-league mini-camp is underway at Camelback Ranch.  It’s a two-week crash course for the players the Dodgers believe are the most

Assistant GM De Jon Watson addresses Dodgers prospects. (Jon SooHoo/Dodgers)LA Dodgers

”major-league ready.”  Here is the list of players attending (according to Gurnick):

Pitchers — Armando Zerpa, Carlos Monasterios, John Ely, Jon Link, Brent Leach, Travis Schlicting, Josh Lindblom, Chris Withrow, Javy Guerra, Kenley Jansen, Aaron Miller and Ethan Martin.

Catchers – A.J. Ellis and Lucas May.

Infielders — Russell Mitchell, Ivan DeJesus and Dee Gordon.

Outfielders — Andrew Lambo and Trayvon Robinson.

While the camp is about baseball skills, that’s not all it is about.  Gurnick goes on to say:

Assistant general manager De Jon Watson’s minicamp also allows club officials to get a line on each player’s conditioning prior to Spring Training and to tweak flaws in a pitcher’s delivery or a hitter’s swing before the start of the real camp, where the player is focused on making a club.

They receive coaching on baseball skills, but also are instructed in aspects of Major League Baseball that should be essential but often are overlooked, from media relations to security issues to interaction with fans and the importance of community outreach.

The group will dine Wednesday night with a collection of Dodgers legends — Maury Wills, Tommy Davis, Steve Garvey, Ron Cey, Tim Wallach, Charlie Hough and “Sweet” Lou Johnson. The players will take part in a hospital visit Thursday and will participate in the Martin Luther King Day Parade in Los Angeles on Monday. They will also all attend the Scouts Foundation dinner Saturday night and the Kings game on Jan. 19.

This camp is clearly costing a lot to put on, so while the Dodgers are not spending big on Free Agents, they are indeed spending on their future.

Photo is courtesy of the LaDodgers and you can click HERE to go to videos of the camp.

19 Responses to “How Can Frank Afford This?”

1. Rory says:

I would think every Major League franchise would do this. It is just logical.

Is this really something groundbreaking?

Hey Ken, I saw this this morning:

Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Dodgers are trying to find a way to sign free agent right-hander Joel Pineiro.

Dodgers owners Frank and Jamie McCourt are still engaged in heated divorce proceedings, which has confused the club’s budget limitations this offseason. Pineiro is thought to be seeking a three-year deal worth around $30 million but he’s only been offered a two-year deal worth $15 million from the Nationals, and maybe the Mets. The Dodgers may be able to win his services if the demand remains that low.

Source: Tim Brown on Twitter

The Dodgers “may” be able to win his services? If the money is equal, which of these three teams do you sign with?

• Ken says:

I’m not saying that Pinerio is the best choice for the Dodgers but I do believe that Pinero is worth 2 yrs for $15 mil. That offer should put Padilla and Garland into the correct mindset and maybe they will now negotiate for appropriate offers and the Dodgers can afford to be in the running for one of those three pitchers.

2. Mark Timmons says:

The Dodgers

Pure and Simple!

The Nats are bottom-dwellers and the Mets are a train-wreck!

3. Blue Haze says:

It is funny how many didn’t want to read all the “tabloid stuff” about the Divorce when this story first broke, but it is the subject that always comes up in every thread. Enjoy the tabloids and rumors, if that is what floats your boat.
    Hey, MM, looks like there may be a big enough following in here to start http://www.divorcerumors-r-us.com :)
    Piazza using the juice who knows, but it is trashy enough to get some interest. I am with lawdog, I think nearly everyone of the MVPs, batting champs and others in the steroids era used. Hey MM, how about a list of past MVPs for the last 15 to 20 years, I bet when those names are put up individually, many if not all names would draw suspicions.

4. Ty says:

“…so while the Dodgers are not spending big on Free Agents, they are indeed spending on their future”

That statement made me laugh. This is exactly what the fans think when people talk about spending money on the future. We don’t care about signing draft picks or international talent. This stuff is more important (insert sarcasm here).

What a ridiculous statement. I hope Mark was being saracastic

5. Rory says:

Of course you are right Ty. It’s just spin. Propaganda is everywhere you look. From Thornton’s blog:

“Propaganda is the deliberate, systematic attempt to shape perceptions, manipulate cognitions, and direct behavior to achieve a response that furthers the desired intent of the propagandist.”

Typically this is an emotional effort; after all, dissatisfaction has a lot of emotional content. And yes, it is the overt manipulation of an individual or individuals.

The seeds of dissatisfaction, in essence fear, uncertainty, doubt (FUD) should be woven into every message and communication you make to your potential customer, and it should be done purely out of habit. Happy people rarely change, and selling someone something is all about change.

Propaganda is not evil in and of itself. Like all tools of mankind, it is the intended use that possess good or evil values (compare its use by Joseph Goebbels’ opposed to Billy Graham’s). Your values are good if your product or service makes someone’s life better in some way. Be proud of that. Propaganda is a powerful tool, use it.”

FUD. Yep, that pretty much sums up how I feel about the current Dodger situation.

Powerful tool propaganda. Since there is little money to buy advertising time on these issues, or, actual players that would help, we are likely to see several propaganda campaigns in the very near future. At least, that’s what I think will happen.

I don’t view the Dodger divorce situation as tabloid Haze, it’s real and it’s serious. How serious? I refer you to the the often mentioned lack of signings and the spin. I get car sick from it.

Oh, and Mark, the correct answer is of course the Mets. You and I would pick the Dodgers, but a free agent looking for stability and a real shot at post season takes the Gnu Yourk offer. Sorry, I just calls them as I sees them.

6. Ty says:

I don’t want Pineiro. We are absolutely desperate for one reliable SP. Is he the guy? We don’t have much money to spend so why spend it on a guy who hasn’t been consistent throughout his career? I’d rather overpay a little for a guy like Garland or Padilla and sign them to a one year contract over paying for multiple years of Pineiro

And Rory — the Mets play in NYC and are tired of being the behind of the city and joke the past several seasons. They are tired of the Yankees getting most of the headline, ticket sales, etc.

Look for the Mets to climb out of the hole they are in. That is one of the selling points to all possible players looking for a contract.

8. Mark Timmons says:

Ty,

Visit Camelback Ranch and see what a State-of-the-Art Facility it is and then see how many teams do this sort of thing (minicamp) for two weeks. Frank didn’t just write a check for the extra $30+ mil the Dodgers spent for the facility (over and above the White Sox part).

He’s paying for that now. Which is “part of the reason” the Dodgers are “cash poor.” The Dodgers poured a lot of money into Dodger Stadium rennovations and Camelback Ranch the past few years and the recession has hurt, as has the divorce.

The Dodgers have “temporarily” pulled back from international talent, but ask someone who has seen the Camelback Facility if there is another like it in baseball – there isn’t!

The naysayers like to berate the Dodgers right now about their spending, but McCourt spent a lot of money – I MEAN – A LOT OF MONEY on that facility. It’s the foundation upon which the Dodgers are building that can make their farm system the best in baseball.

I really believe that. I agree with you abot Pinero – he’s not all that. It’s highly unlikely that he can duplicate last year.

Badger,

Everything is not rosy in LA, but I still believe Mets are a “train wreck.” Look at their rotation. Delgado is gone. Beltran is an overpaid above average CF and Wright has lots of question marks. Then, there’s the questions about Santana’s arm. Their GM should be sending out resume’s right about now.

• Ty says:

Mark,

I’m sure that the facility looks nice but it’s not going to turn a below average prospect into Albert Pujols. I’m sure they’ll improve but I’d rather work with good talent over a good facility. I’d rather sign good international talent and/or overpay for a good draft pick over paying for a great facility.

9. Mark Timmons says:

The Dodgers just signed Jay Gibbons to a minor league contract.

Print the tickets!

10. Rory says:

The Mets have about as many ifs as do the Dodgers. But, IF their injured players are back and healthy, they will be formidable again because they have not the restrictions on FA that the Dodgers do. It would not surprise me to see them land Pineiro, Garland, or Sheets. Shoot, Delgado is playing well in winter ball, they could bring him back too. As much as I hate to say it, as screwed up as the Mets were last year, they have the ability to turn it around right away.

I am thinking of the cast of bench players we have signed now including Gibbons, Carroll, Green, etc. Didn’t we re-sign Meinkiewicz? I thought we did but maybe it was just talk.

This is Ned’s M.O. here we will have a stock pile of veterans looking for a shot. And to Ned’s credit here they usually pan out in one way or another.

Man I can just see the billboard now with Green or Gibbons “This is My Town!” :)

12. Harold says:

These are Ned’s pickups so far.

Josh Towers P
    Russ Ortiz
    Michael Restovich
    Nick Green
    Argenis Reyes
    Scott Dohmann
    Jay Gibbons

Probably some more to come. The two that interest me the most are Monasterios and Ely

GO DODGERS!!

• Ty says:

Let’s look on the bright side. At least he’s not making another Jason Schmidt or Andruw Jones multi million dollar mistake.

13. Rory says:

I was looking for a bright side then I re-read Harold’s post.

Thanks a lot H.

Well Romo, your Las Vegas buddy Mark Grudzelanek is now off the board as I see he just signed. Bummer for you and getting some free tickets this year.

I am one that’s rooting for the Dodgers to sign Pineiro and or Padilla. Give me the P Brothers and I’ll be as happy as any Dodger fan can be this off season. Sheets is out our spending league so I won’t even begin with wanting him. I am still on the fence about going to S.T. If I do decide to go, I’ll try to plan for the same time as Mark. Unless he requests for NO BRuss. Peace

15. lawdog says:

Mover–my enthusiasm for Piniero stems from having watched him piotch from great seats directly behind home plate when he was a Mariner. Granted, that was a few years back, but what I saw was OVERPOWERING STUFF.

16. Mark Timmons says:

Lawdog,

He’s just a control-freak now. He walks very very, but a good defense can make him look good. He gives up more hits than innings pitched. I agree with the stat Geeks who say last year was an abberation. I think he’ll have an ERA closer to 5 than 3 in 2010!