Do Your Talking In Court

Do Your Talking In Court

Like it or not, Frank  McCourt is playing it by the book and playing to win.  He is not speaking and is keeping a low profile, which is absolutely the best way to prepare for a trial or hearing.  Let the other side play their cards. Jamie is saying that she wants to put together a group of investors, she was asking for $450,000.00 a month in temporary support and then has her driver (in more than one sense) act like a representative of the Dodgers overseas.  Jamie may be a lawyer (not a very good one by most accounts), but she has no clue – NO CLUE – about the Dodger finances.  Right now, her attorney is doing what many attorneys do:  throw crap against the wall to see if some can stick.  Believe it at your own peril!

I have read the filings and I read Dodger Divorce,  and as of right now, I have no opinion as to the outcome of the divorce.   I do root for Frank over Jamie, but will the court side with him and cut her out?  It doesn’t seem likely, but the Dodgers have drawn the wagons and everyone is spouting the company line – it’s business as usual and it is!  It’s just that the current usual business involves spending no money.  McCourt is silent and secluded.  Mannion is cryptic.  Colletti is a good soldier, and the rest of the staff are well-paid and told to shut-up.  Like it or not, it the posture of someone who is going to play their cards in court, not in the court of public opinion!

You may not like it now, but you could learn to love it later!

25 Responses to “Do Your Talking In Court”

1. lawdog says:

Is the trial still set for the end of May?

2. Mark Timmons says:

Yep!

There’s another hearing about suppot at the end of March.

So, you are saying business as usual for the Dodgers is cutting payroll?

Well, I suppose that is true, as they did just that last year. The McOwner needs to save money to pay lawyers and divide assets. No way is this a good thing for the Dodgers my friend. The only way I am going to like it later is when this thing is finally over and Frankie finds a financial partner.

I understand why you are taking the company line Mark, and I respect that. I hope for the Dodgers future that most of the paying fans don’t feel the way most of us in here do. As it stands right now, I don’t think I would buy a ticket to a Dodgers game.

4. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

If you think I am “buying in” to the company line because they will treat me better, well you are wrong. I am taking my son to Spring Training this year and he cannot go in the Press Box with me, so I am buying tickets. I have had the press passes and while it was nice for a time, it’s not what I want to do. I have started a company on a “shoestring” (like Frank) and I feel a certain “kinship” to him. I have also handed over all my assets to my ex-wife, so my eyes are “wide-open!”

Budget cuts, players leaving, players getting shot, players getting kidnapped, more special assistants getting hired, scores of AAA players being signed, and special arbitrtion projects for Hg. Yea it will be a very eventful off season for the Dodgers.

6. train says:

if i have to vote, well i’ll hope for Frank. He does come from a baseball family

I believe you have a healthy respect for the organization and one reason you do is because of your access. I can’t help but wonder where you might be if you became a T.J. Simers type writer – not that you would do that because that isn’t your style. It is mine however. I like a dose of sarcasm mixed in with my morning cup of reality.

None of us know where this is going, but all of us can see where it is right now. Uncertainty prevails. That is neither good nor bad, but it is what it is. The Dodgers are not involved in improving this team. Not seriously. In fact, the opposite is true. We are not as good right now as we were at the beginning of last year. That is just a fact. Now if the guys that we end up signing (including all our own arb players) end up having the career years you predict they all will, we actually have a shot. If Haeger wins 15, Kuroda wins 16, Bills wins 18 and Kershaw wins 20 – I think we win the west. And that is a lock if those guys do that, and Loney, Kemp, Ethier, and Manny all make the All Star team.

I don’t live in that world, but it’s nice to look up at the stars and see those possibilities. I believe in positive thinking. But I only have access to my own thoughts, so my work is on myself.

In the mean time, I love baseball so I read the papers and I follow the blogs and then, like everyone here, I post my opinion.

It is only my opinion that the Dodgers will not be serious players in 2010. It is my opinion that our owner is in serious trouble, and that can’t help but have a trickle down effect.

What Badger says…:)

9. A Shot of Haeger says:

What Mark says :)

10. Jamie's Lovechild says:

What mommy says!

11. lawdog says:

Badger did a good job of summing up my feelings. The only good thing about the divorce is that we should have a pretty good idea what’s going to happen by June. In my mind that means our team only has to go down the toilet this year.

Next year is a different kettle of fish. Hopefully by this time next year we’ll have a new owner who is not a bottom feeder like Perfectly and his main ex-squeeze, the Meanie. If the team hasn’t been completely dismantled ala the Rams in St. Looie, we’ll probably be contenders again in my lifetime.

12. McCHEAP STRIKES AGAIN!! says:

13. lawdog says:

I used to roll the dice
    Feel the fear in my enemy’s eyes
    Listen as the crowd would sing:
    “Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!”
    One minute I held the key
    Next the walls were closed on me
    And I discovered that my castles stand
    Upon pillars of salt pillars of sand

Words to live by, eh? ;) Someone should tell Perfectly.

Badger, I think you forgot — and one or even two players might have health problems that keeps them out some of the season.

Like Kent’s back, Beltre’s shoulder, Lowell’s hip, Furcal and Repko crashing into each other in Spring Training and causing problems for both of them, etc.

Those things happen.

If it is an outfielder — right now the Dodgers do not have a real serious player for the outfield.

1b, not really. Catcher, not really. 2nd, 3rd, SS — there is Hu and others for a bit.

If Kershaw or C-Bills has health problems — that would be the kiss of death. We probably all expect Kuroda to go down for a bit, from time to time in the season.

In the end — sum up — the Dodger roster is not complete. It is not ready.

I agree Roger. We are assuming all bodies present will still be standing at the end of the year. We don’t know that.

If a lineup were made out today, who is in it?

Furcal
    ? Martin ?
    Ethier
    Manny
    Kemp
    Loney
    DeWitt
    Blake

The middle of that lineup looks fine. The top? No speed and no real 2 hole hitter. The bottom? A lot of outs. The bench has no speed, no power, and no PH.

We have a starting staff of Bills, Kershaw, Kuroda and who knows. Our pen should be ok, but they could be overworked quickly.

And what if Manny isn’t the same player next year that he was before getting busted?No team speed, and question marks all over the place.

And this is only next year. If Frankie McDimes survives and remains the owner, he is going to need the team to be enormously successful so he can draw from it. He doesn’t have his own money – right? McJamie gets half of everything (and if you don’t yet believe this you are in denial) so Frankie is going to need a partner. If he gets it, we should be fine. If he stalls, and tries to do it himself??????

Read the legendary Tony Jackson’s December 21 column about the Dodger divorce and McMinus’ checkbook. He agrees with us.

This could get uglier.

Or, not. Maybe this is just what the Dodgers need – backs against the wall, us against the world kind of thing. Maybe Haeger steps in and is the one to pitch 200 innings. Maybe Elbert finally realizes his potential. Maybe Stults…. ok, not Stults, but perhaps they find a way to bring back a Garland and he gets 200 innings.

I still say the Dodgers need a great ST and need to come out smokin’ to keep the b.i.s. revenues flowing. If the fans get bored with the Frankenjamie Freak Show, McCornered is finished.

I say that the Dodgers need to come out of the blocks slow next year, like the Phillies and Yanks did in 2009, so that they can peak at the right time, the bench can get some playing time, and most importantly Mr. Big Ego does not burn out the position players like he did in 2009. Tortoise and the Hare.

17. Mark Timmons says:

I am compelled to respond to a couple of things:

“What happened to the Mark Timmons of old?? I guess Mccheap hooked him up with some tickets and privileges…”

Do not transpose your own lack of character upon me! I write what I want, and I did blast McCourt a few weeks ago, but I have examined all the facts and concluded he is doing the best he can, at the time. I may not be so patient by August.

McJamie gets half of everything (and if you don’t yet believe this you are in denial).”

Well, allright then. I guess a trial is not necessary. Who knew?

“Well, allright then. I guess a trial is not necessary. Who knew?”

The question Mark is – how much are they really worth and which half does she get?

Have we not explained that whole community property thing very well? Maybe that’s our fault, so, if I may…..

Ken, ldog – put your hittin’ shoes on and grab a helmet, you’re up.

Ken – come out of the blocks slow? That would be fine if the situation was different. But, the situation is different.

?

The Dodgers need 50K in the seats every night so McDodgerdog has some cash flow right out of the starting gate. He has expenses you know. If the seats are filled, maybe, perhaps, it could be possible, that the lawyers are paid, McCougar is flush, gone and can buy a whole fleet of limos + drivers, McDivorced can figure out who the $ partner will be and make a deadline move for that hired gun to carry us to the finish line and defeat the Cards, Mets and or Phillies and then annihilate the evil Yankees/Sox in the World Series.

That is the plan isn’t it?

I worry that if the Dodgers stumble out of the gate, fans will get bored with the Freak Show and find other things to do. Like, watch the Lakers and go to Angel games. Empty seats would be the kiss of death for McRuh-Roh.

20. ray says:

I guess the Dodgers aren’t the only team deferring contracts!!

As part of his new seven year, $120MM contract, Matt Holliday will be collecting paychecks from the Cardinals through 2029 according to the AP (via SI.com). As you know, the contract calls for a $17MM annual salary through 2016 with an option for 2017, however $2MM is deferred without interest each season. Depending on whether or not the option is picked up/vests, Holliday will be paid either $1.4MM or $1.6MM on July 15th every year from 2020 to 2029.

Just for some perspective, Holliday will be 49 years old on July 15th, 2029.

• Ken says:

That is the proper way to defer a contract. This deferral is obviously for the benefit of the player and the team. Who cares about the present value of the contract if you get paid for 20 years. No contract is without interest. “Original Interest Discount” rules can be applied to determine the actual amount of the contract with interest. The so called lack of interest is merely for Borass’ commission calculation.

A team should not be about the ownership, but the players and manager on the field. (Except for George in NYC.)

Badger, maybe the only way to get some speed is to replace Furcal at SS with a younger minor league player or a trade (which I cannot even think of).

I still want Thome on the bench. I want a threat on the bench that the other manager has to think about.

If Kuroda has some physical problems, like last year, both earth and late — the Dodgers only have 2 pitchers and they are both young and should be a #3 and #4 on a good staff.

Ned, you still have some work to do.

“If any are old enough to remember back in the Brooklyn days of the 1950s and Karl Spooner — we thought we had a Kershaw back then, and he went down the second year in Spring Training with a bad arm and did not come back — ended up with a window washing job in Florida. He was as good as Sandy then.”

And so could Tim Lincecum go down with an injury.

And exactly what was the nature of Karl Spooner’s injury about 60 years ago? Was it perhaps something that could be successfully treated now based on advances in medical science? And wasn’t Koufax quite successful? And perhaps, even his career could have gone on several more years in this day and age due to medical advances since his retirement. Fact is, any player can go down with a crippling, career ending injury. Why single out Kersahw?

And Furcal may not be the base stealing threat he once was, but that’s not what we need from him. Furcal hit better in the second half of 2009, and it may well be that recovery from his back surgery of 2008 will be an 18-24 month process (as is often the case), and we might see him return to the .280 – .300 level. And, really, if there is production elsewhere in the lineup, that’s all we really need. As for a younger, speedy prospect to replace Furcal, we have one. Ever heard of Dee Gordon? He’s probably a couple of years away, but at least we don’t have to part with any of our prospects to acquire him.

Finally, I don’t know if he will end up there, but Matt Kemp has hit successfully in the second spot in the order. Power is not a bad thing to have in the second spot, his speed would be an asset in that position, and he would more than likely benefit from hitting in front of Ethier, Manny, etc. At least something to think about.

Let us take a look back:

Karl Spooner:Strikeouts and Injury

Brooklyn Dodgers’ Rookie Struckout Twenty-Seven in Two Starts
    Oct 8, 2007 Harold Friend

Spooner set the record for the most strikeouts by a pitcher in his first two games, but he pitched only one full season in the majors due to a sore arm.

He might have become one of the all-time greats. Karl Spooner made his major debut on September 22, shutting out the Giants while striking out 15 to set the strikeout record for a major league pitching debut, a record that J.R. Richard equaled. In his next and final start of the 1954 season, Spooner shut out the Pirates, striking out 12 to set the record of 27 strikeouts by a pitcher in his first two games. Brooklyn fans shouted, “Spooner should have come up sooner.”

The Greatest Young Pitcher Campy Had Ever Seen
    Spooner was for real. Roy Campanella, the great Brooklyn catcher, didn’t mince words. “He’s the greatest young pitcher I’ve ever seen.” Plagued by control problems, Spooner finally overcame them, thanks to a knee injury, while pitching at Fort Worth in 1954. In June, he hurt his knee while playing pepper. At that point in the season, he had already walked 112 batters. The knee injury kept Spooner out for two weeks and when he returned, he had pitch without a windup with a shortened stride, which improved his control greatly. Karl won 21 games and set a strikeout record, fanning 262 batters. In November 1954, Brooklyn’s twenty-three old left-handed rookie pitching sensation had surgery on his right knee. Sometimes, a knee injury can lead to a change in pitching motion, which can lead to arm problems.

They Can Never Take Those Away
    In his first 1955 spring training work, Spooner told reporters that his knee wasn’t too strong but when the session was completed, Spooner said the knee hadn’t bothered him. He claimed that his increased weight of 192 pounds wouldn’t affect his performance. Whenever reporters reminded Spooner that he had pitched two shutouts in his only two starts and that eventually a team would score against him, Spooner’s reply was always “But I’ve always got those two big ones on my record. They can never take those away from me.”

Spooner Pitched Well
    During the 1955 season, Spooner worked both as a reliever and starter. On August 29, he pitched a gem, beating the Cardinals, 6-1, as he allowed only six hits while striking out nine and walking one. In his next start, Spooner shut out the Pirates, but he struck out only three batters. Brooklyn easily won the pennant and faced their friends, the Yankees, in the World Series.

Last Major League Start
    Brooklyn, which has never won the World Series, won three of the first five games. Don Newcombe was scheduled to start Game 6, but he was hurt and tired. Spooner started instead and was knocked out in a five-run Yankees’ first inning. The Yankees won the game, but Brooklyn won the next for its only World Championship. It was Spooner’s last major league start.

Read more at Suite101: Karl Spooner:Strikeouts and Injury: Brooklyn Dodgers’ Rookie Struckout Twenty-Seven in Two Starts http://major-league-baseball.suite101.com/article.cfm/karl_spoonerstrikeouts_and_injury#ixzz0btfb3uSU
    Spooner’s Sore Arm
    Karl Spooner never became what he could have been. He had a sore arm during spring training in 1956 and never pitched another game in the major leagues. It makes one wonder what would have happened if the medical advances that have occurred during the last fifty years had been available for Spooner.

Read more at Suite101: Karl Spooner:Strikeouts and Injury: Brooklyn Dodgers’ Rookie Struckout Twenty-Seven in Two Starts http://major-league-baseball.suite101.com/article.cfm/karl_spoonerstrikeouts_and_injury#ixzz0btg46RNV
    ———————

In that 1954 outing, 2 games 18 innings pitched, 27 strikeouts, 6 walks, 2 wins.

Brooklyn, I am not singling out Kershaw, but he is the present example of a young hot-shot pitcher. It can happen to him. That is why the Dodgers have had, and still do, pitching counts and innings on him. Karl Spooner did not. I heard those games on the radio as a kid. It was exciting to say the least.

The entire point here is a piggie-back to Badger above. Mark is counting on solid to career years from the present Dodger roster. I added injuries that might happen. The present roster does not have much backup in them for major injuries. And there are not many folks ready in the high minors to come to the rescue . . .