Camelback Ranch is Right Around The Corner

Camelback Ranch is Right Around The Corner

I made my plans and got my tickets yesterday for Camelback Ranch.  I will be there on March 20th through March 27th.  My wife and son will be flying in on the 25th to see the last 3 games with me.  I haven’t gotten the away game tickets, but I’ll work on that next week.  It’s going to be a great Spring Training.   Like Roger mentioned last week, there seems to be gloom and doom by lots of commenters on this board, but that is not a concept shared by most of the national media (which worries me).

Ride Manny Ride

There is a Mini-Camp in late January at Camelback and I was going to have Rory (Badger) cover it, but after talking with Josh Rawitch, it looks like there will be no media.  Maybe Badger can rent a helicoptor and fly around taking pictures for us.  ;)

Voldomer will be there from March 8-13 and has said that he will provide updates and photos as well.  Badger lives near there, so hopefully he can do the same.

I plan to have LA LodgerTalk T-Shirts available by the End of January – stay tuned, because they will be VERY COOL!   At a very good price I might add….

Some fans have asked which young players have the best chance of making the team.  Here’s my list (in no particular order):

• Josh Lindblom (middle relief)
  • Xavier Paul  (4th OF) – This guy has a bat with a lot of pop (great “gap” power) and the best arm in the organization.
  • Carlos Monasterios  (5th Starter) – He has looked good in the Winter League
  • Armando Zerpa (middle relief) – Just because he’s LH and they have to keep him or lose him.
  • Brent Leach (middle relief) – We have already seen that he has good stuff… and he’s LH
  • Travis Schlichting (middle relief) – See Brent Leach, but he’s not LH

Jon Link, Chin-lung Hu, Scott Elbert (who may not be rookies), Jason Repko and AJ Ellis also have a crack at making the team.

Several sources have reported that Jason Repko signed a $500,000.00 deal with the Dodgers to avaoid arbitration.   Just a few weeks ago, most bloggers were saying that he would be “non-tendered.”

Below is the Spring Training Schedule

16 Responses to “Camelback Ranch is Right Around The Corner”

1. lawdog says:

Badger, I spoke too soon yesterday. I was thinking of Blake and Estes in particular, both of whom I’d like to put on a train for Chicago and see young blood take their roster spots. I hope Haeger ends up with a chance to shine for us. I’d rather see DeWitt at third and someone from the farm at 2nd (Hu or ?) than watch Blake play well in April only to start geezing in May. Manny has to play. You don’t pay someone $20 million to sit on the bench. Let him ‘roid up so he’ll play like a HOFer and not a geezer.

NO MORE GEEZERS. FREE CHUCK HAEGER!

2. lawdog says:

We have to keep Monasterios or lose him, right? He’s a no brainer–but for middle relief this year so he can hide for a year. He’s still green as grass.

As cold as it’s been up here this winter, I must confess that I’d like to be down in Glendale, Arizona with fellow bloggers from this sitre come March.

A new season always brings new hope–even if there’s no rational basis for it. Gotta hope the kids step up this season and carry us. If they don’t, our offseason could begin before Perfectly’s trial.

3. A Shot of Haeger says:

I’m with you on Haeger lawdog…. but you probably already knew that

Haeger will get his shot. At least I hope so. Talk about an inning eater. He is the perfect #5 in my rotation.

I am with you on Blake ldog, but I am sure that comes as no surprise. I hope he is ok, and can stay on the field, because he is our best option. I am not sold on DeWitt. He should have torn up AAA last year and he did not. Hu looks like a great back-up – good D at 3 infield positions, .250 hitter – but what about Mintcaveitch? I am hopeful about Paul, but I don’t want young guys as back-ups. They should be playing everyday. So, it’s Repko on the bench and Paul goes to AAA. Repko instead of Pierre. Yoiks.

Agree about Monasterios. He may be green, but he is 24, has been a pro for 4 years and could very well be ready for some starts. He will have his shot too.

I will get down there. Maybe I will hook up with Mark when he is there in March. We celebrated my birthday there last year, (first week of March) but I would like to be there a little later this year. The closer to Opening Day the better.

Regarding the Russ Ortiz signing, these are my exact sentiments, just expressed better than I could:

I always find it hard to understand why some fans get worked up over these kinds of deals. If it’s not business as usual, at least this deal was.

Jason Repko has been signed, and arbitration avoided.

If the Dodgers believe that any of their Rule-5 players are not yet ready for prime time, but worthy of holding onto, they have the option of trading for the player(s) to keep them in the organization. Such a deal could involve the exchange of players, cash considerations, or both.

6. Illini Dodger says:

Can’t wait to get my T-Shirt!!

7. McCHEAPNESS says:

Did you buy those tickets??’wink’wink’

8. Mark Timmons says:

I spent $337.50 on tickets, but Frank is paying for my beer.

If he thinks Jamie bankrupted him…

9. lawdog says:

Frank should be grateful I’m not going to be there to help you “finish him off” with the complimentary beer… ;)

10. Mark Timmons says:

Just so that no one thinks otherwise, McCourt isn’t buying the beer. At the Winter Meeting, the Dodger Brass doesn’t even drink during Meeting hours.

Now, i do have to confess that I was not in Colletti’s suite…

maybe it was flowing like nobody’s business.

11. Mark Timmons says:

… and you can’t drink in the pressbox.

None of that matters to me, I gave up drinking years ago. But, I have been known to down a few NA’s on occasion.

I wonder if Frankie is downing a few Remy Martin XO’s in whatever cave he is currently holed up in. Gotta be tough for him these days.

13. lawdog says:

Actually, I still like to joke about drinking excessively, but I quit a while back as well. My aging body just couldn’t take it anymore. Drinking is fun, but it’s not worth a 48 hour hangover. :shock:

14. lawdog says:

I had the sudden realization that if it was taking me that long to detoxify from a night of throwing them down, my liver mujst be working over time and only hitting on 3 of 4 cylinders…

lawdog, is that 48 hour hangover Pacific Standard Time or Rocky Mountain Time?

Because if you start it in Washington state, and fly to Arizona, you might loose an hour of hell.

16. lawdog says:

Ahhhh! Excellent point! I wish I’d thought of that before I gave up the sauce. ;)