Winter Meetings – 12-08-09 – 2:30 PM

Winter Meetings – 12-08-09 – 2:30 PM

Indianapolis, Indiana/Day 2 – Not much brewing except the Granderson/Jackson thing.  Frank Robinson, Tony “The Big Dog” Perez, Willie Randolph, Don Mattingly, Jim Leyland, Lou Pinella,Winter Meetings Logo Ozzie Guillen, Tommy Lasorda, Logan White, DeJon Watson, Kim Ng, Josh Rawitch, Joe Jareck and every sports writer on the face of the earth are here.

Josh Rawitch interviewed me for a piece on MLB.com – they will probably edit out my face.   ;)

After talking with several people, I may have to recant my stance on offering arbitration to Hudson and Wolf.  It seems that quite a few people are of the opinion that Wolf and Hudson would have both accepted arbitration and gotten as much as $12 mil and $10 mil respectively.   The Dodgers would have had 25% of their payroll tied up in 2 players, neither of whom are really “all that.”

Everyone, including Ned Colletti welcomes reporting to Dennis Mannion.  It turns out that Colletti has been inviting Dennis to his baseball meetings for over a year.  It appears that Frank McCourt is now seeking ways to develop the area around Dodger Stadium and is seeking naming rights to the new “Calvin Klein Dodger Stadium” or maybe “Apple Computer Dodger Stadium” or how about “Framer John Dodger Stadium?”   I’m kidding… but only a little.  Mannion is extremely well respected and liked by the Dodger Brass.  He has vast experience on the business side of a sports franchise operation and is highly skilled at what he does – he’s a lot more than a “bean counter.”  This is a good move by the Dodgers, which will improve communication on both sides of the organization.

OK, grade me on my spelling and grammar.  Josh Rawitch had a typo in his blog today -nail the Cretan to the wall!

10 Responses to “Winter Meetings – 12-08-09 – 2:30 PM”

1. Ty says:

I highly doubt Wolf would’ve signed another one year deal after getting a few one year deals in the past. He’s coming off one of his best years so now is the perfect time for him to sign a multi year deal. He is close with the Brewers. The Dodgers messed up by not offering Wolf arb

2. Mark Timmons says:

Let’s see what the Breweers offered, plus factor in he would have taken less to stay in SoCal.

What are you, some kind of cretin? It’s C-R-E-T-I-N (SMILE!!!!).

Let’s not provide any comfort to “a guy”, a true cretin if there ever was one.

Keep up the good work.

Did Mark McGuirre ever cop to taking Cretin? Oh wait…nevermind… I was way off!

5. Mike says:

You meant “Farmer John Dodger stadium” right? :)

6. Mark Timmons says:

See, did I get a C+ on my writing?

OTOH, maybe he will “Frame-Her”

Tigers Woods was framed by the same 20,000 women Wilt had.

7. Mark Timmons says:

By the way, that typo was Josh Rawitch’s fault – he was walking up to the bar and (dang, I gave that away!).

Oh, Josh wasn’t drinking!

No way Wolf and Hudson get that kind of money in arbitration. Who the heck told you that and why in the world would you believe it?

Hudson and Wolf will both get contracts similar to the ones they had last year.

9. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

I have talked to a whole lot of people, some connected with the Dodgers and some not connected. Randy Wolf could have gotten $12 million+ in arbitration (the Brewers are allegedly offering him $30 mil for 3 years). That’s a fact!

Hudson may not get a better offer than what he made last year and so would possibly accept – it’s more about the money than pride. Ask Juan Pierre – if he would cancel his contract, the Dodgers would let him walk. Not about to happen…

Still don’t buy it. From 5 million to 12 million? Nope. That’s a Dodger cop out.

And the Brewers are nuts to offer him that contract. No way he pitches 600 innings for them.