I have long been a fan of the minor league system and have subscribed to The Sporting News when it was the Baseball News and since then it has been Baseball America and anything else I can get my hands on. While it is fun to read about the prospects, my advice is not to fall in love with them and don’t bet your lunch money that the prophets who write this stuff are any more accurate than a monkey throwing darts at the statistics. As an example, lets look at the RESPECTED Baseball America 2002 Prospect Handbook. If you read that, he’s what you would have found:
- Hank Blaylock and Sean Burroughs were ranked #2 and #3 for 3B and Mark Teixeira was #10.
- Wilson Betemit was ranked #5 as a SS and Jose Reyes was # 40.
- Drew Henson was ranked higher than Joe Mauer.
- Jerome Williams was perceived to be better than Adam Wainright.
- Angel Berroa was ranked higher than Miguel Cabrera
- Ryan Anderson, Dennis Tankersley, Mark Prior Jon Rauch, Nick Neugebauer, Ty Howington, Corwin Malone, Boof Bonser and Nate Cornejo were all deemed to be better prospects than Jake Peavy.
- Ricardo Rodriguez of the Dodgers was the #36 rated prospect.
- Hee Seop Choi was ranked higher than Adrian Gonzalez
- 8 out of the top 10 prospects are either journeymen or out of baseball!
What do the Top 50 Prospect Lists mean? Zip! Zero! Zilch! The guys who write them are weathermen who were fired for lying about the weather!
Now, I’m here to tell you that while we don’t have a buch of hitters in the minors, we have a boatload of arms! Not all will pan out, but some will, and I think you will be surprised what happens VERY SOON.
The sky is not falling…
Logan White is alive and well!