Off Topic

Off Topic

This is off-topic, but I can do that:

The Only Dallas Assure of a Playoff Spot

The Only Dallas Assured of a Playoff Spot

Oh the weather outside is frightful,

But the Colts are so delightful.

As the Broncos already know,

13-0, 13-0, 13-0!

DODGER NEWS:

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Dodger programming:

• The Mets allegedly offered Luis Castillo to the Dodgers for Juan Pierre, but were turned down.  That should tell Blake DeWitt that the Dodgers like him better than Castillo.  So do I!
  • Ken Rosenthal purposes that a trade be made whereby the Dodgers get Cliff Lee and the Phillies get Roy Halladay.  I think he’s been hitting the crack pipe too much!
  • In case you missed it earlier, Eric Stults is not going to Japan – probably a smart move to keep the depth we have.
  • There are a few players who were non-tendered that might be on the Dodgers radar – Kelly Johnson, Garrett Adkins, Chien-Ming Wang, Johnny Gomes, Alfredo Amezaga  and D.J. Carrosco.   Maybe nothing, maybe something.
  • I still believe the Dodgers will move Juan Pierre… and possibly Casey Blake.  Blake is cheap (we could always throw in a couple of mil) and KC or Cleveland could take him.  If we could move Pierre and Blake, I would sign Adrian Beltre (yeah, yeah, yeah).  Adkins is a big risk.  His stats were never great outside of Colorado and he really sucked everywhere last year!

42 Responses to “Off Topic”

1. Andre says:

Doesn’t it bother you at all that Beltre’s supposed “power” netted him 8 Homeruns in a full season of at bats? Have you looked at Beltre’s stats and realized he’s not worth the ten million dollars a year he’s asking for?

I know you have a hunch…but cmon

Mark – Nice Song!! You inspire me to write another song! Is Stults out or options? Who else, if anyome, is also out of options next year?

Frank is one of the few owners that is not listening to the Wash DC spin about the gloriously improving economy and therefore the Dodgers will be beat out on many attempted deals by other owners overpaying for players.

3. Anonymous says:

Beltre may be asking for $10 million annually (actually, I read somewhere that Boras is asking for another 5 yr., $65 million deal), but that doesn’t mean he’s going to get it. If memory serves me correct, Boras was asking for 4 yrs. at $100 million for Manny last year. Ask, and thou shall not always receive.

Following are Beltre’s stats:

After playing in about 150 games annually (give or take a handful of games) for the first four years he was with Seattle, Beltre played in only 111 games last year. Likely, I’m sure, due to injury, which more than likely affected his power. In the previous four years he hit 19, 25, 26 and 25, respectively. I’m confident that his power would pick up, and his defense is more than worth the price of admission.

I’ve heard that the Red Sox are interested in having Beltre replace Lowell at 3B. If they’re serious, then the price could go too high. But it’s certainly worth exploring. Blake could probably bring back something of value, and I wouldn’t hesitate to trade him, especially given his age and the two years he has left on his contract. And Adkins would definitely be a big risk.

Ken Rosenthal’s proposal, while probably a bit far-fetched, is probably not out the realm of possibility. But I’m not holding my breath.

Now that everyone knows who has been non-tendered we can probably begin to expect to see some action get started in the coming weeks.

Anonymous is me. That happened a time or two in the past, when my name didn’t appear by default. This time I know the reason. New computer.

5. Mark Timmons says:

Andre,

Beltre had shoulder surgery last year and came back in just a few weeks. He also got hit in the nuts and was out for quite a while. I would not give him $10 mil, but I’d give him a deal where he could make some money with good production. 30+ HR is a strong possibility.

The key to signing a player is not to look at what happened last year, but look at what COULD happen.

6. Mark Timmons says:

Ken,

I believe Stluts is out of options.

7. ray says:

Mark-I have been reading your site for awhile now and this is not the first time you have talked about trading Blake and signing Beltre. I would love to see Beltre in LA next year, but who would take Blake?
    Are the Dodgers contemplating dealing him? or is this something you want them to do?

8. Ty says:

1. I’d rather have DeWitt start and Pierre on the bench over Castillo.

2. Rosenthal is a fool

3. There are a lot of non tenders that I like. Johnson might be a good fit with DeWitt in a time share (Johnson also kills lefties). Gomes might be a good power bat off the bench. Atkins might be a good pinch hitter (our bench is awful). Wang would be a nice buy low candidate if he ever comes back healthy. I’d add Capps to the list as well. He’d be a good set up guy in case we trade Sherrill.

4. Blake isn’t going anywhere. I haven’t heard anything regarding trading Blake. Have you Mark? BTW, no more Beltre talk. I’ve always liked Beltre but I’m sure Boras will be asking for a lot more than what he is worth. Do you want that???

I doubt that the Dodgers can afford any of Boras’ clients during 2010-2012.

10. SteveM says:

I came into this off-season with a an attitude of feeling the potential of certain possibilities but understanding that I shouldn’t expect too much.

1 month later my attitude has adjusted slightly…total despair.

My wishlist for the Dodgers was pretty simple:
    #1 – Hold on to the kids,i.e. sign Ethier, Kemp, Loney, Billingsley and Broxton to 3-5 year contracts. Thus ensuring future success by keeping a foundation on which to build. Which leads me to…

#2 – Add to the great stock of talent already here, specifically: starting pitching. Starting with re-signing at least two of the three F/A’s, Wolf, Padilla or Garland (I preferred to first two). My wishlist still doesn’t include R. Halladay however. I can’t see that deal getting done without some loss of the aforementioned foundation, even if a 3rd or 4th team is included in the deal.

Finally, #3 – I wished for this one the most. I hoped against all hopes that good Ol Ned would maybe take a sec or two each day and check out this site in order to get some great insight into what the Dodgers really need to do so we can finally get to the damn promised land.

I’m super tired now and can’t continue with all these silly pipe-dreams. So I’ll just leave now before I say anything REALLY stupid. Happy Holidays guys.

My wish list has one thing on it – new ownership.

I’d give Beltre a cup.

“30+ HR is a strong possibility.” Sure. But it would take him two years to do it.

Ken’s right. Boras won’t even call us. He knows better.

We won the West by one game with Wolf and Hudson. Now we will have DeWitt and who knows replacing them. Colorado and San Francisco are salivating at the opportunity.

This is going to be a long winter for Dodger fans. There is an uncertainty that is palpable.

A few positive things are said here, but the question marks about immediate moves to replace losses remains:

• Ken says:

The player with the best stike zone discipline was not even protected on the 34 man roster (at the time) and was stolen in the Rule 5 draft. WOW! I guess Robinson is the real thing now.

Glad te see Elbert is appropriately being judged as lower than #1.

13. Monsta Troll says:

Mark, I hope you know it pains me to see the Colts playing so well. MAKE IT STOP!

14. Jamie's Lovechild says:

It is becoming painfully obvious that the Dodgers are not going to be throwing a lot of cash around, inactivity at the BB Meetings should tell you something. They will only be making very small deals, they are bracing for when all of the youngsters on the roster will be due their share of the treasure trove. So what am I saying? Blake is signed and staying at third (Beltre isn’t coming back, deal with it Mark), DeWitt will be given every opportunity to own 2B (I don’t think he is going to make it personally, but that is what is going down), expensive FA pitchers will not be added, only marginal, reclamation projects will be added, THE DODGERS ARE STANDING PAT! so everyone can relax and brace for the near future. It is time for the McCourts to fold their 99% leveraged holdings and give some other owner (one with money and not just credit) the chance to restore the Dodger franchise.

Regardless, Mommy am I going to get anything out of this divorce with Frank?

When you said you were buying the team
    You gave us our happiest day
    I said we now have a great dream
    That I’d laugh when Fox went away.
    But

A little bitty Frank let us down
    Secretly turned every fan into a clown
    I had it made up not to even make a frown
    Oh, but a little bitty Frank let us down.

I said I’d cheer when Fox left baseball
    Pull a funny as they sold the club
    That we have great owner waiting in the hall
    To do a better job after Fox’s flub
    But

A little bitty Frank let us down
    Showed every fan that they were just a clown
    I had it made up not to even make a frown
    Oh, but a little bitty Frank let us down.

Nothing went as we had hoped for it
    And Frank really put on quite a show
    And I thought I could gonna stand it
    But when Beans filed to get half the dough
    Then

A little bitty Frank let us down
    Proved to every fan that he had made them a clown
    I had it made up not to even make a frown
    Oh, but a little bitty Frank let us down.

Parody – Burl Ives

16. JDavis says:

Say if we trade Blake, that gives us options
    Dewitt can play 2nd or 3rd
    get prospects for Blake
    Pierre to the Reds or Mets
    now the crack pipe idea if we had money to spend
    trade Either to the Jays sign halladay and the other Halliday
    I would rather have Halliday over Either any day Halliday trains hard and Either is slow and out of shape the guy needs to hit the gym a little harder

Ethier is slow and out of shape? Thats a new one.

I dont get it. Last year he wasn’t clutch then he became the Dodgers most feared hitter in game winning situations? It just seems the guy can do nothing right. His defense is way better than M. Holliday, and that isn’t just because Holliday tried catching Loney’s line drive with his cup.

Beltre will be a Red Sox next year and Holliday will likely end up with the Mets anyway. They are both Boras clients and those 2 teams will be suckered by Boras into overpaying for them. Beltre plays excellent defense but I just was never impressed with his bat, even if he had ONE GOOD YEAR with us. Funny how that worked for him, lets think of his teamates that year…(Gagne, LoDuca, hmmm…you see where I’m going?)

I would take a long hard look at Martin and wonder if this guy is getting better ior worse in his production for this team. I love the guy and I love the way he plays, but the production is way down. Wheather it is overuse or just erosion of skills, the guy has value but he is not the superstar he was just 2 years ago. Toronto would sure love a native Canadian?

Look at the stats. Adrian Beltre had 1 HUGE year,other than that he is Casey Blake!

In fact he made more errors last season than Blake and played in quite a bit less games.Beltre 14 errors/111 games vs Blake 10 errors/134 games. Look at the OPS & OBP, and although I am not a huge fan of those stas they aren’t close. Blake is better even if you go back to Beltre’s last “healthy” season 2008. I think that ship has sailed guys he is not the player we remember (if he ever was that great) and Casey Blake isn’t a slouch. Have a look for yourself.

19. A Shot of Haeger says:

Well Halladay is a Philly and Cliff Lee is a Mariner…. so we can stop talking about trading for Roy…that isn’t happening.

“Regardless of the player, the Dodgers aren’t likely to become involved in spirited bidding for any of the free agents.” Finally some truth from Dodgers.MLB.com

Interesting trade. I really think the FA pool will be all but empty very soon now. I think there will be a very active trade market, just look at the big potential deal today. Let’s see what we have to deal to get a quality arm in blue this season. A trade will happen, but when?

22. KidCuba says:

JOSH FREAKIN’ TOWERS…. IF THE DODGERS LET ROY HALLADAY SLIP AWAY, AND NOW CLIFF LEE FOR THE SECOND TIME WITHIN THE SAME YEAR, THEN COLLETTI IS WORTHLESS AND MY YEARS AS A SEASON TICKET HOLDER ARE OFFICIALLY OVER. IT PAINS ME TO SAY IT BUT THIS ORGANIZATION IS ON THE FAST TRACK TO NOWHERE… I AM OUTRAGED.

23. Jamie's Lovechild says:

KidBarraCuba, get it on, I like.

You clearly gave anecdotal evidence to my contention in my earlier post THE DODGERS ARE STANDING PAT so don’t get excited about any of the rumors you hear of big names coming to town. Okay wait a minute, there is one big name that you count on coming to town —

SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN

“HO HO HO, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!”

This time it isn’t Colletti’s fault.

What is happening was predictable and in fact was predicted. Right here.

25. Mark Timmons says:

I don’t have time to look it up, but most of you were moaning like this last year.

I guess you like to cry, but I am telling you that the Dodgers will win more games next year than last year.

Would you like a little cheese with that whine?

You’ll tell me I’m wrong, just like you did last year….

AND YOU WILL BE WRONG AGAIN!

• Ken says:

And Frank has developed a new science where he can grow new players in a petri dish and they will mature one year for every day that they grow outside the dish. And we will have a new team next year that will allow Ned to trade all of Logan’s draft picks.

Oh brother.

People weren’t moaning like this last year. We were all extremely optimistic. Most every one of us thought this really could be the year.

I told you we would be very good, but we wouldn’t win the World Series. You disagreed. I was right, you were wrong and it cost you 1000 push ups. And now you are starting it again, only this time months early.

The Dodgers won 99 games last year, so you are saying they will win 100. Why do you do this? Because this is your blog and certain people are watching? You have to know better Mark.

The Dodgers will be lucky to win their division, and they will likely need 95 again to do that. I don’t see where they are going to get that many wins. Colorado will be just as good as they were last year, San Francisco will be better and the Diamondbacks might rebound after a bad luck year. I’ll be the first to say it here, if the Dodgers don’t add quality pitching, (Towers doesn’t count) I don’t believe they will win the West, making your 100 prediction impossible.

How many push-ups do you feel you can do next year buddy?

Prediction, The Dodgers will not make the playoffs in 2010. The Dodgers ownership has killed a pretty good team. IT’S NOT NED. I am on the fence on if I even want to drive to Arizona in the Spring. Excuse me while I go vomit…………….

1. The Dodgers won 95 games last year. That will be tough to repeat. But it doesn’t mean they won’t repeat as division champs.

2. Everybody was crying the blues last year at this time because we HAD to sign Manny!!! Also we NEEDED to re-sign Raffy, Blake or a 3B, we had no 2B also. So to Mark’s point, yes it was panic city last year at this time.

3. If you think we had a shot at Halladay, or Lee this time around you are kidding yourself. Even if the Dodgers ownership wasn’t in chaos and even if we were spending like crazy we didn’t have the chips to trade. It had nothing to do with Ned or Frank.

4. What most of you don’t understand is the Dodgers had a damn good deal on the table that included Loney for Lee last season but Cleveland liked Phiily’s prospects better. Some anylists have said the Dodgers package was better but Mark Shapiro (the Indians GM) had his mind set on certain Philly prospects. What can we do about that? Toronto was close to deal Halladay in July to Philly for young arms like Kyle Drabek and J A Happ. They still wanted one of those guys and now they have it plus another young arm from Seattle plus more kids in return.

Kid Cuba if you are not going to renew your season tix ove “missing out on Lee again” dude you don’t know what is going on here . Think about this, why would the Philles trade Lee to the Dodgers who they have met in the NLCS 2 years in a row. They did the smart thing and traded him out of the league. Also think about this: Philly traded Lee because he wanted to test the market next offseason and chase Sabathia money. Halladay wanted to play in Philly and was willing to give them a discount and sign an extension for only 3 yrs. FOR THEM ONLY!

So what could the Dodgers or any other team done about that? Sometimes it just doesn’t work out and there is no one to blame. The only thing worse than bad ownership is misinformed fans who pop off and make the rest of us look bad

Some will whine about “missing out on Lackey” but the guy has missed a ton of time the last 2 seasons with arm issues. Should we have sign him up for 5 years? Haven’t we been down that road with veteran pitchers who had arm issues (Dreifort, Schmidt, Brown)?

The biggest mistake the Dodgers have made this offseason is not offering arbitration to Wolf. They misread the market, BIG TIME! And even if he accepted and they “didn’t have the money for him” the could have traded him. The Braves did just that with Soriano. They traded him away for young lower level prospects. Somebody would have taken Wolf off our hands and his 1 year arbitration contract.

Relax guys it is a long off season. I will be in Glendale, AZ come March. Who’s with me? Get on the bus or stay off!

29. Jamie's Lovechild says:

Didn’t Magic Johnson call out all the whining and crying in here, only to be bitched, whined and cried about? Yeah, he did say that, just a few days ago. Hmmmm, nothing changes, does it?

You called it Magic, it was just to close to home. We need more Magic.

OK Lovechild, what is your prediction? Step out in the light and tell us how you think next year will go. More Magic? Yeah, right. What we need is for fans to get the truth and fully understand what is happening here. It’s FINALLY becoming clear to most folks. Not everybody, but most people now know what this all means. Even Buttrick Sellout. He sent a letter to Frankie telling him to get this Fisher thing resolved. If you have been reading dodgerdivorce.com, you will know this.

The Dodgers won 4 play-off games Romey, bringing their win total to 99. Mark said they will win more games next year. More than 99 is 100. I don’t see it. And, I wasn’t panicked last year. As you know, I was never that excited about Blake as having the 4th best 3rd baseman in the NL West wasn’t all that thrilling to me. But, in ST the team looked very good. Jason Schmidt was throwing and the scouts were saying he looked like he could be ready. Same with Milton, Manny was a star down there at Camelback, Ethier and Kemp were dropping balls over the fence with regularity. Kemp put some deep over the center field wall (reminded me of a Piazza batting practice) and all looked fine to me. I know Mark felt the same way because he told me so when we met down there.

Bill I live in Arizona and I don’t know if I am going down there again either. I went twice last year, actually had a good time, but that was when the Dodgers looked like a World Series team. Now they are the butt of jokes all around the country. And believe me, those people who hate the Dodgers are enjoying the heck out of this train wreck. I know if it were happening to the Giants or Yankees, I wouldn’t crying for them.

“Get on the bus or stay off!”

Yeah, right. I have been on this bus since 1959. I have never seen anything like this. ClusterFox was bad enough, but the Frankenjamie Freak Show is downright embarrassing.

That would of course be Fuller, not Fisher.

Without edit, I should really take my time and edit myself, but, in the heat of typing and the rush to get the thoughts up there – well, we all know about it.

Who counts post season wins? The only wins that count are series, and that case we won 1. But that is neither here nor there.

Sure they haven’t made any moves yet, but there hasn’t been many options…realistic options. The Wolf thing erks me but let’s face it Randy Wolf has a great season and he stayed healthy for the first time in a long while. Do we sign him long term? I don’t think so. O-Dog was great when he was healthy but he was always one pat on the back from a DL trip. No thanks!

We have holes..BIG HOLES. They may or may not get filled like we want but this team is still pretty good. You can call it what you want Badger, I call it panicking, to say I’m not going anymore, or this team is going to fall apart. It is still December, it hasn’t even been 2 months since Broxton coughed up our season….errr. made a bad pitch….err…freakin,CHOKED!!

We all stuck with this team through the FOX Regime, we will stick it out through this. I wont like it but I’ll do it. I for one don’t think it will be as bad as people think. It might suck for a little while but it won’t be as bad as we all think. So if some of you say “I can’t back this team anymore” thats OK go somewhere else. The Dodger fans will stay here.

Don’t get me wrong Romey, I can’t bail out now because there’s no where to go. Like I said a few days ago, I wish I could become an Angels fan but no matter how hard I try, I just can’t go it. But I can’t back the current owners either. What I’m saying is I’m not spending my money on a team that is so very close to winning it all and now is so financially strapped that it just wants to accept admission money without plugging their holes. Big city teams should not be run like small market teams. We deserve better. And if you do run your team like a small market team then at least lower the ticket prices. Sorry , that’s how I feel. :smile:

Do it not go it. need coffee………….

Well we just traded Juan Pierre for 2 minor leaguers. We are set now!

So now we all can sleep well. Nice!

36. Erik says:

Bill, I could not agree more. I have been telling my friends that very same thing. I am not going to any games this year and I may go as far to not watch them on TV so they cannot make a dime off of me. I have been a dodger fan from birth and this ownership doesn’t seem to respect us the fans. Watching the top two teams from last year keep adding players and us signing people to minor league deals kills me. Back to back years in the NLCS and we are not willing to spend or even attempt to pull a deal to get anyone. Horrible. And later this year I’m sure they will start their resturant mall structure so they can make more money off the fans. If they don’t care about the team they aren’t getting money from me. I am unable to be a fan of another team, so I will just wait for this owner to learn or move on.

I pretty much think we have a solid core of players, and unless someone in management completely loses it, this team will contend. And the difference between contending and winning it all is not all that much. A piece here and a piece there, continued growth by our younger players, a surprise or two, and this becomes a very good team. And anyone judging the offseason at this early juncture simply doesn’t have a clue. Let it all play out. Signings and trades can happen anytime between now and the end of spring training (remember Milton Bradley?). And let’s not forget the trade deadline in July. Lots can change, and probably will.

By the way, it’s being reported that J.P. was traded to the White Sox for two unnamed minor league pitchers, with the Dodgers picking up half of Juan’s contract. Nothing confirmed last I saw.

38. A Shot of Haeger says:

Positive thinking is hard, but worth it.

Could it really that simple? In the end, despite all the complaints about the ownership and the Dodgers inactivity and the train wreck that so many think the front office and ownership of this team, baseball games are won on the field. This team has a chance to win the World Series or this team has a chance to win only 50 games this season. Someone will surprise us, someone will disappoint us. Just because the owners are in a bitter battle between themselves, doesn’t mean the Dodgers won’t play well.

You guys are entitled to piss and moan about the state of a team that hasn’t played a game since October.

Remember, it’s always darkest before the dawn. Sometimes the journey is just as important as the destination.

Go Dodgers