It’s All About Perspective

It’s All About Perspective

Here’s a great analysis about Jason Repko from Phil Gurnee of TrueBlueLa:Dodgers Astros Baseball

Based on what Ned Colletti is saying, Jason Repko appears to be staying around for the moment. With the Dodgers trying very hard to trade Juan Pierre and his contract for either a starting pitcher or a 2nd baseman the battle for who becomes the Dodger fourth outfielder looks to come down to Jason Repko or Xavier Paul.  It would seem a given that Paul is the better candidate to be the fourth outfielder but is he?

Xavier Paul does everything as well as Repko in the field. Repko is faster on bases. What Paul does not  do well is hit LHP.  He hits RHP as well as Repko hits LHP but my argument is that this team needs someone to caddy for Andre.  If Manny was to get hurt, then I’d bring up Paul to be the everyday LF not Repko, but for a guy off the bench Repko might be that guy.

Jason Repko does many things well that you would look for in a backup outfielder. The thing he does best however is mash LHP.  His slug% against LHP over the last three minor league season has been greater then .585 every year and twice it has topped .600.  The Dodgers have a need for guy who can hit LHP and play RF. Repko can be that guy. What he can’t do is hit RHP, so the Dodgers will need to have a guy like Minky on the bench who can handle that role.

The Dodgers starting outfield is Manny, Kemp, and Andre. Of those three only one has a serious chink in their armor. That chink is that Andre does not hit left handed pitching very well. For his career Andre has a 200 point split in his OPS between facing RHP and LHP. Last year that split widened to .926 compared to .629. Part of the problem the Dodgers had last year with Pierre on the bench was that we could not use Pierre in RF to sit Andre against some LHP. The gain in moving Kemp to RF and Pierre to CF,with the left handed Pierre facing left handed pitching just wasn’t worth it.

They both can play all the positions of the outfield, they both have plus speed, and they both have guns for arms. So that is how they are the same. How they are different is probably why I think that Repko might be the better fit for a fourth outfielder role.

Keeping Repko is a bsaeball decision, obviously not a $$$$ decision

Dylan Hernandez reports that the Dodger have decided not to sell Eric Stults to Japan.  Another baseball decision.

I think that Pierre will be gone soon and Repko and Paul will be our extra outfielders.

Coming up soon:

Logan White and De Jon Watson discuss the Dodgers Minor Leagues and players like Lambo and Gordon.  Watch for it on Friday right here on LAdodgertalk.com

18 Responses to “It’s All About Perspective”

Ok so the felony stupid thing was keeping someone in Sept over Hoffmann!! Glad we got that clarified!! He will probably stay with the Yanks all year as a pinch runner just to spite Torre!!

Glad to hear Stults is not gone but he certainly is out of options by now and may well be gone by opening day unless Beans and Franks are completely insolvent.

What happened to Ethier? He was good against LHP 3 years ago. Why does the Dodger coaching staff not make him work with his Dad or Tommy or some LHP in the off season and Spring training to relearn how to hit against LHP. That is Felony Stupid. Maybe the Dodgers can hire Hendrickson to pitch to Ethier in the off season!!

The big difference between the 2009 and 2010 teams my be the Bench and the starting pitching depth. That would be a big gamble because their Division race may be even harder next year. Trying to go to the World Series from the Wild Card slot is very difficult.

If the Dodgers trade Pierre I would keep Paul on the 25-man to platoon with TranMan who will need to limit his playing to 135 games and 7 innings per game to prevent post steriod injury syndrome.

The minimum that the Dodgers need to do this off season is to obtain one #4 starting pitcher who can pitch 220/221 innings, whatever it takes, with a 4.25 ERA. That will get the Dodgers a shot at the Wild Card.

Hopefully the Dodgers will be more active this off season.

3. Mark Timmons says:

I predict that Bills, Kershaw and Kuroda will pitch 625 innings next year. Not individually! ;)

4. jerry says:

jerry the dodger will do exactly what they did last yr..they will weight for all the good players to be gone, then pick up the left overs… they seem to do that every yr,i dont think they have a idea what they need to pick up.

The body of the post makes sense. The Dodgers are keeping Repko because he has the experience and has defensive tools. I think it’s clear he will never be more than a .250 hitter, but at this point, the Dodgers will take it.

As for those three pitchers giving us 625 IP? I hope you are right, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Yeah Ken, what the Dodgers need is another 220 IP pitcher. Actually, they need three more. Those guys don’t exactly fall out of trees. We had one in Garland but, as we all saw, he was too expensive for the Dodgers to keep.

At the risk of sounding redundantly repetitive, none of us know how this thing is going to eventually play out, but it has become painfully obvious to me what is going on. We have a need to become the Minnesota Twins/Oakland A’s and that won’t happen overnight. We have a GM that has handed out Pierre/Schmidt like contracts and wouldn’t know a moneyball move if it sat on his face. His best move was getting Manny free. Way to go Fred. Now we need some real creative action to take place and I don’t believe he is the guy that can get it done.

Miracles happen. I am hoping for a few of them between now and next year.

So we wait.

• Ken says:

If SD is actually thinking about releasing Corriea the Dodgers should trade for him before someone else does, or someone with some money tries to sign him.

I dont know what the stats say but Ethier against LHP is not a problem. I know they dip some against lefties but I think we are making too much of this. He is an everyday player lets just leave that alone. If his numbers dip a little against lefties and he can give us 30+ HR and a 100 RBIs I’ll take it. Believe me we have bigger fish to fry.

Repko is a very good 4th outfielder. I know he had a bad game when we brought him up 2 years ago and everyone forgot how good he was when he was our 4th guy 3 or 4 years ago. He is a gritty, hustling, great baserunner, plays great defense & who has as good an outfield arm as anyone…even Kemp. I think if we let him go he would be a starter somewhere else just like Cody Ross did when we let him go for virtually nothing. X. Paul still has options so keeping him in Albequacky makes sense.

As for Ethier, I agree with Romey. Leave him right where he is. From what I saw last year, LHers have a book on him – breaking ball low and way and he bites. If he can lay off that pitch, or better yet dump it down the left field line, he can raise his BA vs. LH pitching by 50 points. He’s a smart guy, he will figure that out.

Ethier is a problem to worry about this offseason???? Wasn’t he the guy the stat’s were showing was last in the league in clutch hitting midway thur last year? According to a few knuckleheads. Romo hit it on the head when he said we have other issues or bigger fish to fry. All we need is a #4 starter? If our goal is to finish 2nd or 3rd in the west. I wish I could become an Angels fan, but that will never happen because I hate red. The Dodgers are becoming a joke. I read yesterday that the Yankees came away from the winter meetings in the best shape and the Dodgers came away in the worst shape. I guess you get that ranking if you sit on your thumb.

NED COLLETTI
    - Here’s the order of what I want to do. I want to sign a couple pitchers off the scrap heap, resign our aging back-up catcher, snag a second baseman somewhere, and find a way to extend Matt Kemp.

DENNIS MANNION
    - The Kemp extension’s gonna put you overbudget for when the divorce hits the books, Ned.

NED COLLETTI
    - Well, he’s a 25-year-old superstar. He’s the best center fielder in the National League, Dennis, he’s got to be locked up.

DENNIS MANNION
    - Fine, then trade away Clayton Kershaw or Chad Billingsley. Someone.

NED COLLETTI
    - Well, without great young pitching, what’s the point?

DENNIS MANNION
    - Ned, you’re telling me what you need, I’m telling you what we have to work with at this point. I’m not making this stuff up.

NED COLLETTI
    - We’re gonna need all these players, Dennis.

DENNIS MANNION
    - We do not have the cash, Ned! We just don’t have it.

NED COLLETTI
    - Okay, I’m going to go back down to the lobby and find someone to take Pierre’s contract, probably along with a prospect. Let’s start from scratch. Clear the board.

DENNIS MANNION
    - I don’t know where the hell we’re gonna find it.

from dodgerdivorce.com

I’m not sure we get 625 innings out of our three current starters, only because I’m a bit wary of Kuroda, who will be 35 and coming off a bulging disk in his neck. It’s not out of the question, but it is questionable.

Maybe I was just seeing what I wanted, but it seemed to me that in the latter part of the season Ethier was reverting back to the form that previously brought him success against lefthanders, i.e., he was going up the middle and to left in those situations. Maybe he was beginning to realize that he has power to center and leftcenter, and no longer needs to pull exclusively for power. I don’t have any stats to back up this observation, so we’ll just have to wait and see as 2010 progresses.

If the Dodgers carry 12 pitchers, it means only 5 bench players. These will include a catcher, 2 infielders and 2 other assorted outfielders/pinch hitters. If both Repko and Paul can fit, it’s fine with me. And yes, they both have guns, super guns (cannons) in my opinion, and accurate.

No doubt the Dodgers need at least another reliable starter to fill the 4th slot in the rotation, and either another acquisition or an in-house solution to fill the final rotation spot. Trading Pierre to fill that need might work. We’ll see.

Halladay?????? Probably a pipe dream, but I’m all for it if the price is right in players. Frank and company can figure out whether or not they can pay the freight. Perhaps a naming rights deal to Microsoft Dodger Stadium makes it possible. I can dream, can’t I?

Brooklyn when I was down at Camelback Ranch for a couple of days last year I watched Ethier working exclusively on driving the ball to left center. And he was doing it with ease, with some going deep over the fence. Of course, that is against batting practice pitching, but you could tell he knew he needed to do it. What I saw this past season was him getting snookered on low outside breaking pitches. Especially with two strikes. IMO, he either needs to trust his eye and lay off that pitch, or learn to drop it over third base.

I think Bills can give us 200. I think Kershaw MIGHT be able to give us 200. Kuroda? No way. He hasn’t done it here, and unless he did it in Japan, I don’t he ever did it. I figure he has no shot at it with his health and his age. And, where are we going to find quality starters now? Unless we get that miracle I mentioned earlier, we got starting pitching issues next year.

from Greene’s piece:

“Dave Young asked me on Tuesday Night why no one was talking about the financial situation until this year.”

Well he didn’t talk to me because I have been talking about it for about 4 years now.

and:

“I’m not feeling very optimistic tonight. Are you?”

Eh, not so much.

12. lawdog says:

Ethier was getting better at laying off the low and outside breaking ball sucker pitch from left handed pitchers. He even had a walk off walk or two as the season wore down. But it will always be problamatic. If he lays off the slider down and away he’s vulnerable to a fastball on the low and outside corner or a back door change on the outside corner at the knees. He needs to learn to not only lay off the slider down and away–off the plate (which he’s done.) He also needs to learn how to fight off the fastball and back door change or cutter in the strike zone, low and away.

I don’t mind if the Dogs turn to the prospects they have on the farm to fill out the roster; to bring up 2 starters and some relievers as well as fill the 2nd base slot and pinch hitters from within. I’d love to see the kids get utilized and break out a couple of more real players. Just don’t say we are doing this because it’s the strength of the club’s farm system that mandates the move. Enough spin. Tell it like it is. Admit we’re doing it to save money and we just might get lucky and have it work, and we can’t pay the Screaming Meanie and some new quality FAs at the same time.

No more spin doctoring! No more FA geezers on the downside of mediocre careers! Let the kids with upside play! :shock:

I don’t want to be right
    If being right means believing the spin
    I’d rather live wrong than right
    My Mama and Daddy say “It’s a shame…”
    “It’s a downright disgrace”
    But as long as I’ve got LawDog by my side

I don’t care what everyone else might say
    My real friends tell me there’s no future
    In believing what the McCourts say
    If I can’t believe them when I want…
    I’ll believe you when I can

Bridge:
    If disbelieving Beans is wrong, I don’t want to be right
    If disbelieving Franks is wrong, I don’t want to be right
    Am I wrong to fall
    So deeply in distrust with them…
    Knowing they’ve got the Dodgers and all that real estate
    So deeply leveraged
    Am I wrong to hunger
    For the accuracy of their press releases…
    Knowing they’ve got their entire financial empire
    That is crashing down around them

Chorus:
    Am I wrong to distrust
    A newly unmarried man?
    Am I wrong for trying to hold on
    To the best Team I’ve ever had?
    If disbelieving Beans is wrong, I don’t want to be right
    If disbelieving Franks is wrong, I don’t want to be right

Repeat Chorus:
    I don’t want to be right…if it means believing the spin
    I don’t want to be right… if it means believing the half truths
    I don’t want to be right
    If disbelieving Beans is wrong, I don’t want to be right
    If disbelieving Franks is wrong…No, I don’t want to be right

Parody – Barbara Mandrell

14. lawdog says:

I checked on the Rule 5 requirements when a drafted player has his rights traded before the season begins and I must report back that the answer is truly “as clear as mud!”

The answer appears to be that the player drafted and then traded before the season begins must stay with the team that traded for his rights the entire season and can’t be traded again or released during the season without first being offered back to the team from whom he was drafted originally.

But I could be wrong. I’m drawing that inference from an example given byh Wikpedia which I’m copying below. I think the implication is clear that Santana, once drafted rule 5 and then traded before the season had to be kept for the entire season by the team he was traded to after the draft. The rule doesn’t speak to teams sharing the requirement that the player stay on the 25 man roster over that year long period but instead specifically says the player must stay with the team who had his ultimate rights for the entire season.

If someone has a clearer answer than this, please pass it on. Logically, I’m taking a huge leap of faith here in drawing this inference from an example instead of clear language in the rule itself:

From Wikpedia:

Cost and example

To prevent excessive turnover in the minor league levels, each draftee costs $50,000. If the draftee does not stay on the selecting team’s 25-man (major league) roster all season, the player must be offered back to his original team at half-price. Organizations may also draft players from AA or lower to play for their AAA affiliates (for $12,000) and may draft players from A teams or lower to play for their AA affiliates (for $4,000).

The Rule 5 draft has opened opportunities for teams to take other teams’ top prospects who may not be ready for the major leagues. A prominent recent example is Johan Santana, who was chosen in the 1999 Rule 5 draft by the Florida Marlins when the Houston Astros declined to put him on their 40-man roster. After the Marlins traded Santana to the Minnesota Twins for minor leaguer Jared Camp, the Twins kept him on their roster for the 2000 season, despite the pitcher’s subpar performance that season (6.49 earned run average) which was unsurprising given his youth and inexperience.

Having kept Santana in the major leagues for all of the 2000 season, the Twins subsequently had the right to option him to their minor league system. By 2002, the more fully developed Santana had returned to the major leagues and established himself as an above-average pitcher. Since 2004, Santana has won two Cy Young awards. Had he not been chosen in the Rule 5 draft, Santana likely would not have made his major league debut until the 2001 or the 2002 season with the Astros.

15. lawdog says:

;) LOL! Great parody Ken. Now, can you get the Dodger’s coaching staff to sing it, Barbershop Quartet style during the 7th inning stretch of home games next year?

Barbara Mandrell? Really? What you couldn’t find a Celine Dion song to parody?