Indianapolis Winter Meetings – Final Day

Indianapolis Winter Meetings – Final Day

It’s 12 degrees F outside in Indy today, but the windchill factor is -7 below Zero (wind gusts up to 30 MPH).  -7 below ZERO wind chill in Indianapolis insnow December!  Who knew?   It will be 30 years before the Winter Meetings are back here.

From Diamond Leung in Diamond Notes:

Dodgers GM Ned Colletti revealed in an interview yesterday on SIRIUS XM that he has spoken to All-Star pitcher Chad Billingsley numerous times this winter about his late-season struggles. Colletti is not inclined to trade the young right-hander.

“It’s tough to replace a Chad Billingsley. I know people are disappointed with what transpired the last two-plus months of the season. Prior to that, you could probably compare him to a lot of the upper echelon starting pitching in the game who’s 26, 27 years old and younger. What we need to do is we don’t need to subtract as much as we need to add. He struggled. We’ll see what he learns from the struggle because everybody loses. It’s what you learn when you lose. If I’m going to trade a good young pitcher, we’d have to get two pretty good starters back, which people just don’t have to trade. I’m confident in Chad that he can come back. I’ve talked to him a handful of times this winter…

“Sometimes, you have to make your guys better. You just can’t continue to expect to fill everything from the outside and continue to sign free agents and continue to trade away players. You end up in the same spot more times than not and most of the time worse off than before you started making moves…

“A lot of people were down on Matt Kemp a couple of years ago. It takes time. You have to be patient. I think the toughest thing for a lot of us to do is to fight off the urge to be impatient.”

I am DOWN Wit’ ‘dat!

Lots of rumors – little movement.

From Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times:

There, you heard it – you can disagree, but I think Wolf had a good shot at $15 million in arbitration.

Dylan also reports that the Mets have interest in Wade and Belisario – Sell high if you can, Ned!

Frank McCourt wants the trial to determine ownership of the Dodgers to begin in February, while Jamie wants it later…

19 Responses to “Indianapolis Winter Meetings – Final Day”

The Dodgers didn’t offer Wolf arbitration out of fear that he would accept it and earn a $15-million salary reward in the process. Wolf’s deal with the Brewers is worth almost $30 million, according to sources.

Colletti said the Dodgers’ negotiations with Wolf never advanced past preliminary stages. “They told us what their interest was and what they needed in terms of finances,” Colletti said. “It wasn’t something we were comfortable doing.”

Colletti said Wolf’s agent, Arn Tellem, called him this morning to offer him one last chance to re-sign his client. “That’s not us,” Colletti said he told Tellem. “That’s not our interest level.”

That is what COLLETTI says. It’s not in there “interest level”. THEY said they feared $15 million, Hernandez didn’t say it. You need to find Dylan Hernandez and ask him directly if he believes Randy Wolf would have been awarded $15 million in arbitration. He just signed a contract worth less than $10 million per. I still contend if he asks for $15 million and the Dodgers offer $10 million the Dodgers WIN!

The simple truth is, Wolf wanted out. He wanted to go to Milwaukee and get re-united with some old neighborhood chums. It had nothing to do with $15 million. “They told us what their interest was” – and it was $10 million per year, which is way more than the Dodgers can afford. The Dodgers can’t afford ANY large contract. That’s the truth. They intend to do it all in house until the dust settles from the divorce.

I have still not found anything that says Wolf would have asked for and received $15 million.

2. Ty says:

Why would a guy coming off a career year and who has accepted one year deals before take another one year deal? It is also a weak crop of FA’s so why would Wolf take arbritration? That’s just stupid. His new deal with MIL proves that he was a popular FA. He signed very quickly

3. JDavis says:

Rule 5 draft Jamie Hoffman is now a Yankeee

4. Magic Johnson says:

Nice to see more conversation and much less crying and whining. Keep it up boys (so as you don’t look and sound like little girls).

5. lawdog says:

The resident transexual is back again I see. He’s quite the drama queen for someone with nothing to say. :shock:

Mark – I hope that you are enjoying the weather more than I did in 1976 when I was stationed in Indianapolis for a winter, with that wondeful ice storm!

Of course Jamie wants it later. She is stalling until the Cable deal increases the value of the team!

8. Harold says:

Not sure why Repko was kept over Hoffman.??????

What does this mean? Do these guys have to stay on our MLB roster once selected as Rule 5 by another team and traded to us?

•The Mets took righty Carlos Monasterios from the Phillies, tweets Ken Davidoff of Newsday. Monasterios was then traded to the Dodgers for cash, reports Newsday’s David Lennon.

•The Rays took lefty Armando Zerpa from the Red Sox, says Baseball America’s John Manuel. The Dodgers then acquired Zerpa for cash, says Dylan Hernandez of the L.A. Times.

GO DODGERS!!

“In his filing, Frank McCourt credited a “strong management team” for running the Dodgers “at the highest level of performance.”"

Just remember that everything that is said or done is to effect the ownership and value of the Dodgers. The above statement effects the amount of Franks’ time, a community property asset, that effected how the value of the Dodger rose during the marriage thus effecting Beans’ percent of the increase in value.

Keep one eye on the public comments and one eye on the real meaning of the comments and activities.

As I said before Beans and Franks never had any money and last year was the roll of the dice effecting the minors and the future. Where is that new owner?

Family law attorneys and forensic accountants are slowly adopting the position that a majority owned middle market business should be a party to a divorce proceeeding. Some of these people have the opinion that the “In spouse” should be required to step down and a Receiver appointed to run the business until the ownership and value are determined. This is my hope for the Dodgers.

“Sell high if you can, Ned!”

Mark, you have it wrong! It should be

Sell high if you can, Frank!

Not having Hoffmann on a 34 man roster was felony stupid. I guess Franks needs to 50K to pay the salary of special assistant #91 or to pay for a never was pitcher just to spin nonreality and pretend to himself that he can convince all of the Dodger fans that he is active in the off season rebuilding the team. Yea, that’s the ticket!.

12. lawdog says:

I still think perfectly Frank is being less than perfectly frank with us. Once a spin doctor always a spin doctor. How much of the truth can he afford to tell? :roll:

13. Mark Timmons says:

Does ANY owner or GM tell all the truth?

Would YOU play poker and show the other players your cards?

14. Andrew Wagner says:

Mark, totally agree on not showing all the cards. Any idea when the interview with Watson and White is going to be ready? Or is it already up and I am missing it? New to the site. Pretty good stuff man.

15. lawdog says:

Mover–I would indeed, if all the bets were down and I’d been called.

And I sure wouldn’t gratuitously lie as to why I folded my cards with 3 aces showing in 5 card stud by saying I was afraid an opponent might fill an inside straight flush with their last card.

16. lawdog says:

Actually, if I folded at all with those cards in that situation I’d tell the bartender to cut me off–I’d obviously had way to much to drink. Same can be said for perfectly Frank folding his hand when he had little chance of not picking up 2 extra 1st round picks and 2 extra sandwich picks.

The more I think about it the more obvious it seems that perfectly Frank has been perfectly felony stupid.

Maybe this is a ploy to show the court that his community contribution to the business which is the Dodgers is actually worth nothing and is actually a serious liability. If so perfectly FRANK IS PERFECTLY RIGHT. :roll:

17. Mark Timmons says:

Ken,

I actually like this kind of weather…