Indianapolis Winter Meetings – Day 3 Update

Indianapolis Winter Meetings – Day 3 Update
  • After talking with lots and lots of scouts, pro personnel people and writers, I am convinced that the Dodgers did the right thing in refusing616elbertwhitedewitt arbitration to Wolf and Hudson.  There are lots of reasons why and I will articulate them later this week.
  • I overheard some other scouts talking about the Dodgers Young Arms and one said “they already have better arms than they can trade for or sign.  If I were them, I go with what I have.”
  • There’s no doubt the Dodgers have financial constraints – all teams but the Yankees and Mets do too, but it’s not gloom and doom by any means.
  • I had a 20 minute interview with De Jon Watson and Logan White today and I think you will be shocked and/or excited to hear what they say about our “much maligned farm system.”   It is a great interview – I hope to have it edited by tomorrow.  I just wish I could have had another 20 minutes.   Josh Rawitch says this may be the first interview of Logan and De Jon together.
  • Wolf is gone – allegedly 3 years/$27 -30 million – not a bad deal, but I’ll tell you why it wouldn’t have been good for the Dodgers tomorrow.
  • Rule 5 Draft tomorrow.

9 Responses to “Indianapolis Winter Meetings – Day 3 Update”

Great stuff Mark. Cant wait to see the interviews

Hopefully the Dodgers will obtain an average starting pitcher for 2010, thus allowing one young gun to start in 2010. Then with Kuroda gone after 2010, the Dodgers can add one more young gun in 2011. I have liked this plan as a possibility for a year, but it is a plan that SCREAMS for a better pitching coordinator in the Minors. Hire Maddux and build pitchers if you can not afford to buy them. This is a business in the entertainment sector, so stop running it like a bean counter Beans and Franks!

As I learned 9 months into my first job out of college a bean counter is a person that deals too often with expenses as oppossed to properly dealing with revenue. Hopefully the new Dodger COO knows this, if not he is a glorified beancounter.

PS

The Rule 5 Draft is a concern for tommorrow. The Dodgers only have 33 players on their 40-man roster, can not afford to sign anyone and have many kids unprotected. If they do not lose at least 2 players in the Rule 5 Draft then I will be surprised. They should have protected more kids and dropped some of them in spring training. Or maybe the Dodgers need room on their roster to sign 7 Ericksons in the next 2 months. oh vey!

“they already have better arms than they can trade for or sign. If I were them, I go with what I have.”

Anybody dizzy from the spin?

We do have some good arms in the system. I’ll give you that. I really doubt any of them are ready to pitch in the Major Leagues.

We are being spoon fed manure.

That’s just my opinion. I haven’t talked to one scout, pro personnel personnel or writer. I just knows that if it looks like it and smells like it, it probably is it.

5. Harold says:

Way to go Mark. That is like cutting edge stuff. Very anxious to read the update on the system. The system seems a bit weak at the upper levels, which we don’t really need. The lower levels seem to be quite good, especially with pitching.

I see the Yankees have come up with the first overall pick in the Rule 5 draft. We are about 17th or something. Any chance of us taking a Rule 5?

GO DODGERS!!

6. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

That’s not Dodger scouts spin. It was from another team.

Hariold,

We could always take one (Rule 5′er), but keeping one is another thing.

Typically, if you are a contender, you can’t do it.

7. Mark Timmons says:

We could lose Greg Miller and/or Justin Orenduff, but who would want them?

Wolf got his three years and close to $30 million. No way the Dodgers could, or would, come close to that. Yoiks.

Word on the street is the Dodgers had 1 more shot at Wolf this morning and passed. I think it is too bad, Wolf was a good guy.

My question about filling our holes from within is..Who?

Are we saying Charlie Knuckles and Eric Stultz are our 4 & 5 guys? I believe both guys deserve a REAL shot but I then would have questions about our top of the rotation. Kershaw is getting better but Kuroda missed a huge chunk of the season last year with an injury before his header in AZ, and Bills is on his last leg with ths orginization I bet. We took this gamble last year and we lost! We need pitching.

Am I missing something?