DODGERS NAME VANCE LOVELACE DIRECTOR OF PRO SCOUTING, SPECIAL ADVISOR TO THE GM

DODGERS NAME VANCE LOVELACE DIRECTOR OF PRO SCOUTING, SPECIAL ADVISOR TO THE GM

Indianapolis, Indiana – The Los Angeles Dodgers announced today that they have named Vance Lovelace to the newly created title of Winter Meetings LogoDirector of Pro Scouting, Special Advisor to the GM. The announcement was made by Dodger General Manager Ned Colletti.

“In my four years with the Dodgers, Vance has proven himself to be a trusted advisor and a keen judge of baseball talent on the Major League level,” said Colletti. “I think he will flourish in his new role overseeing all of our professional scouts and I look forward to strengthening our working relationship in 2010 and beyond. His passion for baseball and for the Dodger organization will help many advance to a higher level.”

Lovelace, 46, joined the Dodger organization as a professional scout in 2001. On Nov. 7, 2006, he was promoted to Special Assistant to the General Manager, where he dealt mainly with pro scouting and reported directly to the General Manager, advising Colletti on roster moves and player acquisitions.

Lovelace pitched in the Major Leagues for parts of three seasons with the Angels (1988-89) and Mariners (1990), enjoying a 13-year professional career that came to a close in 1995. After his playing career ended, Lovelace became the pitching coach and assistant general manager for the New Jersey Jackals of the Northern League in 1997, a position he held for three seasons.

The Tampa, Florida native was drafted in the first round of the 1981 amateur draft (16th overall) by the Chicago Cubs and was traded to the Dodger organization in 1983.

7 Responses to “DODGERS NAME VANCE LOVELACE DIRECTOR OF PRO SCOUTING, SPECIAL ADVISOR TO THE GM”

I think we are set now! Vance Lovelace?! Any relation to….you know who? If we don’t make some deals by March we may feel like her.

I apologize in advance to you guys for this horrible take!

Romo, I’m glad you said what I was kinda thinkin. Just because we went deep into the playoffs doesn’t mean- well you know.
    I don’t agree with the take on not offering Wolf and Hudson ARB. Hudson would not have accepted a deal with LA and Wolf is worth a one year 10-12 million dollar contract. Without our other ACE (Padilla) we are in trouble. The Dodgers are just being cheapskates and if they don’t sign Ayala soon or a promising AAA player, attendance will take a drop next year. What a cold stove winter this is. Mark Cuban, get out of the wrestling ring and buy the Dodgers.

Maybe if the Dodgers fired their 86 special assistants they could afford some free agents!!

I did a thyroid scan on Lovelace’s older sister back in the early 70′s. Nice girl. She was actually checked in the hospital under a different name though. I am not sure why she would do that.

Vance Lovelace. Yeah, that should make a splash.

I agree with the statements on Wolf and Hudson and their alleged arbitration figures. No way they get that kind of money. They may ask for it, but, come on. If the Dodgers offer came with a reasonable increase for the work they did, I would think they could win that one. The problem is the Dodgers could not even offer what they made last year, let alone a pay increase. Wolf will get a multiple year offer from the Brewers and it will be in the $9-10 million per range not $12 million. Hudson will get a raise, but I really doubt it will be near $10 million.

I would say the Wolf/ Hudson story is just that…a story. I don’t buy it. Especially with Wolf. He may have gotten a raise but not to the $10 million range. I am hoping it was an effort to save monney to actually spend, but I had no idea it was to bring in Linda Lovelace (insert Frank being lonely joke here). What a freaking mess.

As for Hudson, I really liked him and always will but I don’t want him on our team. He is just too damn fragile. And to offer arbitration to him and run the risk of being on the hook when his hand falls off is just not worth it. I would really like to see Felipe Lopez but settle for a Belliard/ DeWitt platoon.

I believe that with incentives, both Hudson and Wolf made about $8 million each last year. Therefore, it’s not a strech of the imagination to believe they could command $10 and $12 million, respectively. Whatever the case, each would have gotten a nice raise, if only because the Dodgers would have offered more than a token increase, since in arbitration, the aribtrator has only two choices, the player’s number or the team’s, nothing in-between. For fear of having the arbitrator choose the player’s offer, they would have been obliged to make a generous one of their own.

Hudson is fragile and Wolf is no sure thing to repeat his 200+ innings again. Moving in another direction makes perfect sense.

Hudson played in 149 games last year. That’s not bad. 551 at bats, again, not bad. He did get hurt again, but was fine for the play-offs. And you are right Brooklyn, he did get most of his incentives, which is actually good news. I thihk he ended up making somewhere around 7 mil. Which is much closer to what he will make again this year. Wolf’s contract with us for around 5 mil. And, I just read that the Brewers might offer him a 3 year 31 million deal, which is nuts, and no wonder he wants to play in Milwaukee. No way the Dodgers, or anyone else for that matter, would come close to matching anything like that.

Still no news. Oh wait, Lovelace. And this about Mannion getting more responsibility:

“Colletti says he welcomes the change, believing the club’s business and baseball sides will work better if they’re more coordinated.”

Yeah, more coordination. That should help.