A Cold Day in… Indy!

A Cold Day in… Indy!
  • It’s still about 14 degrees out – who was the genius who picked Indy for the Winter Meetings?  I’ll bet he’s fired!

De Jon Watson

De Jon Watson

• We are editing the Logan White/De Jon Watson interview – I hope to have it up tomorrow.
  • Hey, how come nobody says anything when the Dodgers have 2 other teams pick Rule 5 players for them and then the Dodgers purchase them for cash, but the Dodgers are unwilling to pay Hoffman?
  • The last time the Yanks took a Rule 5 from us it was Bubba Crosby and they kept him all season. Maybe they will keep Hoffman, but I doubt it – he’ll be back!
  • The Dodgers were blasted for trading Steve Johnson and Josh Bell to the Orioles for Georgous George Cheryl (Sherrill), but the O’s thought so little of Johnson they didn’t protect him in Rule 5 and the Giants took him.  Go figure!

16 Responses to “A Cold Day in… Indy!”

1. lawdog says:

The Yanks have a lot of quality players in their organization. How are they going to keep a player Fearless Frank didn’t see fit to protect on their 28 man roster all year? I don’t know why they bother to try.

Mark – I am happy for you that you like your weather today. For me I am going to the beach before the rain starts, which is a good follow up to going to Palm Springs last week. Cold weather speeds up the metabolism for some!

The Dodgers should have protected Hoffmann, as the 34th player, and used him as trade bait or sold him to Japan. The first person chosen in the Rule 5 Draft is the cause of a “felony stupid” label earned by a GM.

Steve Johnson is a legit #5 – in 2 years.

The guys that the Dogders bought are illegimate candidates for the #5 starter’s job. Unless maybe Belisario teaches them how to pitch!!

“De Jon Watson” – Is that a name like “The Ohio State University”? Where is he from Jon or Watson??

3. lawdog says:

Some poop on Hoffman. If we already released him once and then resigned him, I think the Yankees action must have been a surprise for perfectly Frank and company. If he was so bad as to clear waivers earlier this year and resign with us I can’t get too excited about his potential. Read it and weep:

Hoffmann was signed as an undrafted free agent by the Dodgers in 2003 out of New Ulm High School and assigned to the Gulf Coast Dodgers where he was an All-Star third baseman during the 2004 season, hitting .310 for the team.
    He then switched to the outfield in 2005 while playing for the Columbus Catfish and Vero Beach Dodgers. In 2007 he played for the Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino, and in 2008 for the Jacksonville Suns. The Dodgers added him to their 40 man roster prior to the 2009 season.

Hoffmann participated in the 2008 Arizona Fall League season with the Surprise Rafters.

He began 2009 in Double-A with the Chattanooga Lookouts and was then promoted to the Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes. On May 22, he was called up to the Los Angeles Dodgers when reserve outfielder Xavier Paul was placed on the disabled list. He made his MLB debut, flying out as a pinch hitter, the same day.

Hoffmann’s first Major League hit was a three-run home run in the 2nd inning against Matt Palmer of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on May 24. He played in 14 games with the Dodgers and then was optioned back to the Minors. He was designated for assignment on September 1st and then released by the Dodgers after clearing waivers. He was shortly resigned and sent back to Albuquerque.

Hoffmann was selected as the first overall pick in the 2009 Rule 5 Draft by the Washington Nationals on December 10, but was immediately traded to the New York Yankees as the final part of the Brian Bruney deal, as the player to be named later.

4. lawdog says:

Here’s a young promising arm we could probably obtain from the Pods for a pack of Double Bubble and a warm, flat Keyston Light:

Padres might be too cheap to pay Kevin Correia

Wed Dec 09,2009 11:48 AM ETBy Aaron Gleeman

Kevin Correia said last night that he expects to be non-tendered by the Padres if the two sides can’t agree on a contract for 2010 by the end of the week. Correia is arbitration eligible for the first time after going 12-11 with a 3.91 ERA in 33 starts and the Padres are worried about actually having to, you know, pay him.

I don’t think they are going to allow me to get to arbitration. From what I understand, they’re not going to offer me a contract if arbitration is involved. They made an offer to me, but it was obviously below the arbitration value. I could still end up playing here. And this is where I want to play. The door is not closed. I want to stay here, but they have a lot of new people making decisions. The direction has been kind of clear the last few days.
    The amazing thing is that Correia stands to make something like $2.5 million via arbitration after earning $750,000 in 2009, so the Padres either simply don’t want him or have some serious payroll issues. Getting released by San Diego might actually be the best thing for Correia, who seemingly wouldn’t have much trouble finding a deal that guarantees him at least $2.5 million on the open market.

5. GoNzO says:

So if a team drafts a player in the rule V and trades him to another team does that team need to keep him on the roster as well, or can they send him to the minors?

6. Mark Timmons says:

The other team has to keep him on their Major League Roster or offer him back to the team he was drafted from for $25,000.00.

7. Mark Timmons says:

OK, think about this:

Like Lawdog said, the Dodgers weren’t enthralled with Hoffman. If it was just about the money, they would have put Hoffman on the roster and cut Repko who will cost more and with whom they will offer artbitration.

The Dodgers bought 2 players and gave up one, but could have saved more by non-tendering Repko. I hear they plan to offer him arbitration. Most likely, Watson and White think Hoffman is “not all that!”

8. Mark Timmons says:

The Correia rumor has been out there all week and I would think the Dodgers would jump on him if he is non-tendered, but it hasn’t happend yet.

9. Mark Timmons says:

From Ken Gurnick at Dodgers.com:

General manager Ned Colletti said on Thursday that the Dodgers will tender contracts to all nine of the club’s arbitration-eligible players by Saturday’s deadline.

The nine are Chad Billingsley, Jonathan Broxton, Andre Ethier, Matt Kemp, Hong-Chih Kuo, James Loney, Russell Martin, Jason Repko and George Sherrill. Other than Repko, who spent 2009 in the Minor Leagues, each is in line for a significant salary increase.

That is especially true for five who are eligible for arbitration for the first time — Billingsley, Broxton, Kemp, Kuo and Loney.

It looks like they plan on Repko being the 4th or 5th OF.

10. Mark Timmons says:

Sometimes we sit here and make decisions without the supporting knowledge. Chad at Memories of Kevin Malone, posted why the Dodgers didn’t put Hoffman on the roster: THEY COULDN’T! Here’s the original story:

In part, it says:

“They said that my being designated for assignment was only a business decision,” he said. “They are trying to win the World Series this season. They told me that they really have some plans for me – that was proven in their contract offer. They wanted me to stick around with the Dodgers.”

He said that he is not back on the 40-man major league roster now because that can’t happen until next May.

“That was part of the deal also,” Hoffmann said, “but hopefully I can get back on that 40-man roster as quick as possible.”

So, the Dodgers didn’t protect him, not because they were felony stupid or they didn’t like him, but they didn’t protect him because they couldn’t!

11. Ty says:

I’d take Josh Bell back in a second. You could find good relievers anywhere (Bellisario?) but we’re starving for good young positional prospects.

12. Lee says:

Bubba Crosby wasn’t a rule 5 pick. He was traded, along with Scott Proctor, for Robin Ventura.

The last rule 5 pick the Yanks made was Josh Phelps. He was returned to sender, but didn’t clear waivers, and ended up with the Pirates.

My guess is something similar will happen with Hoffman. Now that the Yanks have Granderson, they may not have room for Hoffman (unless they traded Melky and/or Brett Gardner.) But if they cut him loose, someone else will claim him.

13. lawdog says:

They have to offer him back to us before they can waive him. I don’t know if they can trade him to somebody else who will keep him on the 25 m an roster or not. Once the season starts I think he has to be offered back to us before he can be removed from the Yanks 25 man roster. I’ll check it on Wikpedia.

14. Lee says:

From Wikipedia:

“The selecting team may, at any time, waive the Rule 5 draftee. If a Rule 5 draftee clears waivers by not signing with a new MLB team, he must be offered back to the original team, effectively canceling the Rule 5 draft choice.”

That’s what happened to Josh Phelps. He did not clear waivers, so the Yanks didn’t have to offer him back to his original team.