Look, several (many) players let us down, but that’s the nature of playoff baseball. Look at A-Rod, and how he failed his first few years in the playoffs. Players handle the situation differently. Some step up (Loney, Martin) and others struggle (Kemp, Ethier), while some vets disapear (Blake, Furcal), which is very, very disappointing. Casey Blake and Rafael Furcal could have made all the difference. They did hit .279 (combined). They are both seasoned vets and both could not buy a hit. That was huge. Manny wasn’t Manny, and likely never will be again. I TOLD YOU AND TOLD THAT YOU WE SHOULD NOT HAVE SIGNED HIM! Never doubt me again. I see some players as “keeper” and others as “trade bait.” Manny can never take over a game like he used to. That’s history!
It hurts to see that Victorino and Werth, both former Dodgers hurt us badly, but both players are 30 years old (Victorino is actually close) and you can’t keep a player forever. Werth was constantly hurt as a Dodger, and Victorino wasn’t all that then. They are “all that” now! Good for them, but it took years. Our guys are mid-20′s. There’s plenty of time.
I’m rooting for the Phillies in the World Series. I love the Phillies.
If Ethier and Kemp are back in the playoffs next year – look for a different result. Martin will come back with a vengeance and Kershaw and Billingsley will be a year smarter. Young Clayton got “schooled” in this series. Don’t hold your breath waiting for it to happen again. Chad Billingsley will win 20 next year. Book it!
Ned Colletti is a big boy and will do what he wants this winter. The Free Agent market is not the way to do it. A lot of you thought Casey Blake and Orlando Hudson would be the “bomb” but one lost his job to a journeyman and the other was AWOL in the playoffs. Ned will do what he wants, but here’s what I would do:
- Find a AL home for Manny - I am SOOOOOOOOOOO done with him. Frank may have to pay $5-$10 million, but just get it over with. I don’t see the shower issue as a big deal – I see “declining skills due to lack of steroids” as being the main issue. Manny is a 20 HR/.280 hitter now. Forget it! He may have to be packaged with another player, How about Manny, Hu , Broxton (yeah, I’ll do that) and Elbert to Toronto for Halladay and Wells? Maybe Manny will do better as a DH. Wells is a bad contract for Toronto and I’m sure they want to unload it. He might benefit immensely by changing teams. Hu could see time at SS for Toronto and Elbert gives them another young arm. Look, you can disagree about Broxton, but I am consistent – I have been saying that he’ll never be a closer for three years. Who will close for us? Two words: Josh Lindblom!
- Trade Juan Pierre- Somebody needs a lead-off hitter. Get a prospect. Get whatever. Just trade him. Look, I like Juan Pierre but he’s too expensive to sit on the bench and the guy deserves to start. He’s a class act! Pick a 4th outfielder: Xavier Paul, Jason Repko, Jamie Hoffman (Lambo is less than a year away).
- Free Agents Who Walk- Belliard (too fat, bad defense), Hudson (I like him, but he’s injury-prone and will be too expensive), Garland (too expensive – we can do better with Haeger as a #5) and Thome, Loretta, Padilla and Ausmus (unless he wants to coach), .
- Free Agents who stay – Wolf (he’s a Type A Free agent so offer him arbitration and see what happens – worst case – we have him for another year or we get 2 picks.
- In a perfect world, I would love to resign Adrian Beltre and trade Casey Blake. Then I’d play Blake DeWitt at 2B.
Look, feel free to disagree with me, but when you insult me or try and convince me with statistics which WILL NEVER capture the power of the human spirit, you are showing you have no connection with reality. I suggest Fantasy Baseball. That’s the ticket! You little cowards who want to fire your “drive-by shootings” at me (you know who you are) wouldn’t last a minute in a face-to-face debate, so can it! Disagree all you want, but if you become disagreeable, it’s on! You cowards who hide behind your keyboards won’t win. As a matter of fact, you are losers, which is why you take such offense when I call JB that! What I just wrote is extreme and probably never will happen, but I do think that this years Dodger team has amazing talent, more than the Phillies, but they delivered and we didn’t! Do we need a change of direction in the organization? Maddux would make me happy! Let Don Mattingly take the Cleveland job and take Honeycutt with him. Then Kirk Gibson can replace Torre! Shoot, if Jim Tracy can manage, the so can Kirk Gibson.
You have to look at Torre and Manual. Charlie has fire. Torre has ice. The fire burned the ice! Get a clue!
The first order of business is What Happens to the Dodgers? What is the deal with Jamie and Frank? Anyone who analyzes the situation is a Jackass – this is a crapshoot and no one knows what is next or what the outcome wil be. Just hurry up and get it done…