TROLLS!

TROLLS!

My Final Word On Statistics:Troll_spray

Yes, I do consider stats.  I have all the websites bookmarked, and I have years of Baseball Prospectus, Bill James Handbooks and a plethora of others.  I have “Baseball Between the Numbers (Why Everything You Know About the Game is Wrong)” by BP, and I respect the numbers.  I just don’t WORSHIP the numbers.  I read financial statements everyday and I aced (106%) my college exams in stat and advanced accounting.  I know numbers, but I know people better.  I wonder what the stats were on George Washington’s ragtag bunch being able to defeat the Redcoats?   I suspect that the smartest guy regarding numbers on this site is Ken (real name) who is a Lawyer, MBA and CPA and practices that everyday.

Kemp/Kershaw, an adolescent at Memories of Kevin Malone posted this:

Am I the only one who finds it ironic that Timmons calls out ‘stat geek losers who hide behind computers’ by responding using his own computer?

Yes, what you just said is a classic way to prove my point.  Your name isn’t Kemp/Kershaw (it’s a shame you use their names as your moniker – it’s degrading to them to have snivler like you using them).  I use my real name!  YOU are the one hiding behind your computer keyboard.  Get a clue!  It’s the combination…

Kemp/Kershaw then says:

That Ken guy was just throwing big words out there for the hell of it, an easy sign of an insecure douche.  Clearly, he is mentally weak.

I guess flipping those burgers at McDonalds makes him a genius.  I find it laughable he can say what he wants (anonymously) and then calls out people who use their real names.  AND, he does it at another blog (I rarely read the comments, so he’s probably did it before).     Your opinion is irrelevant and I just want you to know that you are a TROLL!

Trolls3Seth Godin says that lots of things are hard. Dealing with trolls is one of them.  Trolls are critics who gain perverse pleasure in relentlessly tearing you and your ideas down. Here’s the thing(s):

1. Trolls will always be trolling
2. Critics rarely create
3. They live in a tiny echo chamber, ignored by everyone except the trolled and the other trolls
4. Professionals get paid to ignore them. It’s part of your job.

“Can’t please everyone,” isn’t just an aphorism, it’s the secret of being remarkable.  I’m done with TROLLS and from now on I will ignore you.

Actually, I will probably just delete your “trollings.”  Why?  Because I can…  One thing I have learned is that trolls are incapable of learning.

Let me give you a classic example of how stats can lie:

John Smith – Batter (Example)

At-Bat

Out

.440

Behind 3-1

Bases Loaded

DP

.400

Here’s how the figures lie:  John Smith has a .400 batting average with RISP – PRETTY GOOD!  But, upon examination, you will find that all of his hits came when his team was way ahead or way behind.  He ALWAYS came up short when the game was on the line.  The stats say he hits .400 with RISP, but by looking at the results, we can see he’s not a guy you want at bat when the game is on the line.  I am not going to waste the time in extrapolating this out for a reliever, but you get my drift.  Now, players can change with experience and maturity and I respect that also.

Carry on mates!

20 Responses to “TROLLS!”

Why are you trying so hard Mark?

It is my opinion you do not need to. If some idiot behind a computer in Humgolly East Wasteconsin thinks you are full of it he only exposes him or herself as someone who knows not from what they post. You know I don’t always agree with you, and when I don’t I tell you so. But you also know that when it is all said and done, you and I will sit down, have a beer and cheer the Dodgers. Just because you are occasionally full of $*#!+ doesn’t mean I don’t respect you.

This is a place where opinions are stated. It isn’t that difficult to read the people who post here. I don’t agree with everybody in here, but what they say really doesn’t effect me all that much. I make bets and when I am wrong, I pay up. (you owe me 1100 dude) I know what I know from my own experience. Same can be said for you. Same can be said for everyone in here. Each of us brings our own individual perspective based on our own personal experience.

I like stats, but some of them just go way overboard. Stats are what are used to pay guys like Manny twentyleven million clams. It doesn’t take a genius to know a player hitting .267 with 17 HR’s and 79 RBI’s isn’t as valuable as a guy who hits .300 with 30 and 100. Clutch guys are recognized, but it’s the thumpers that draw the crowds and get the big bucks.

In here we need less grumpers and and on the field we need more thumpers.

2. lawdog says:

Whoooa! Where did you get that picture of Kemp and Kershaw Mover? That must have been one wild party to leave them both like rednecks from Georgia about to go trolling through a trailer park looking for a date. ;)

Just to clear the air and no one is mistaken about this: Half the lies they tell about me are not true! Just sign me, “full of shit once in a while, and proud of it!”

Don’t you have to be full of shit once in a while in order to have some crap to throw on somebody else?

Isn’t one of those guys wearing a Rolex?

Brooklyn – Thank you for the support but I took it as a joke thus my use of a [sic] after an intentionally misspelled word in my response to Badger. I need the EDIT button due to the natural age related consequences to numerous finger injuries from playing intercollegiate volleyball and subsequent competitive play for 20 years.

I do not know when the WHIP stat was introduced or was respected as an important stat, but I know that as a 9 year old little league pitcher I noticed the relationship between Koufax’s walks, hits and innings pitched one day and began calculating WHIP as a method of determining who else was a great pitcher. I look at stats as an indication of the past and probable future ability of the players. But an indication is not a prediction or guarantee of their ability either in the long run or more importantly in the short term with its stressful situations. Stats are like knowledge but we all need to go beyond a reliance upon stats to be wise armchair GM wannabes.

Ken (and Badger also),

You are both absolutely correct. I went back and looked at Badger’s post, and realized that I missed its meaning. Probably was the result of scanning rather than actually reading. Too busy, and in too much of a hurry. Also, like you, it was “due to natural age related consequences”, in my case MENTAL rather than physical. An EDIT/PREVIEW button would certainly be welcome.

No sweat man. It’s all good.

Except for the Moron brothers picture up there. Kind of creepy.

7. Blue Haze says:

Man, I need to look in here more often, sounds like someone threw a hand grenade into the campground.

—-

I like the photo, has a creepy American Gothic vibe going, perfect for Halloween. (Do those guys play banjo and guitar, by chance?)

—-

Don’t let the trolls get to ya Mark (and you have too much time on your hands if other websites have targets on you), you don’t need those other sites, you can return to Camelot.

—-

BTW, anyone catch the Python-athon shows on IFC this past week? Excellent! “NOW PISS OFF! Poor Buggers.” (wink wink, for those in the know)

—-

8. lawdawge says:

Anybody know how to get the following message to our erstwhile closer Jonathan Broxton?

“The Complete Pitcher’s Newsletter
    10-24-2009 Issue

Are you a subscriber? Sign up now for free:
    ———————————————————–

Hi Ace O’Shea,

Here’s another baseball pitching tip…

Never be to fine with your changeup —
    just throw it with the same arm speed
    as your fastball.

Always try to throw it for strikes and
    let the natural movement of the pitch
    itself (down and out of the strike zone)
    throw the hitter off.

Work on it!

Want to throw harder by spring?
    Visit http://www.pitchingworkouts.com

Steven Ellis

P.S. Enjoy this newsletter? Tell your teammates.”

9. lawdog says:

What’s to moderate?

10. lawdog says:

why can’t I post a simple instruction about throwing a change up? What the hell’s wrong with the posting process?

11. lawdog says:

“The Complete Pitcher’s Newsletter 10-24-2009 Issue

Are you a subscriber? Sign up now for free: http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/newsletter.htm

Hi Ace O’Shea,

Here’s another baseball pitching tip…

Never be to fine with your changeup — just throw it with the same arm speed as your fastball.

Always try to throw it for strikes and let the natural movement of the pitch itself (down and out of the strike zone) throw the hitter off.

Work on it!

Want to throw harder by spring? Visit http://www.pitchingworkouts.com

Steven Ellis

P.S. Enjoy this newsletter? Tell your teammates.”

12. lawdog says:

One minute it’s here, the next minute it’s not. Jeeeesh.

13. Mr. Mike says:

I didn’t know Kosmo Kramer [ the one with the high hair ] had a brother. Real nice. I’m going to have to save that shot for a quick pick me up. Guess I’m going to root for that other Los Angeles [ alledgedly ]team.

14. Mark Timmons says:

Lawdog,

For some reason, your comments were going to spam. I’ll have my IT guy look at it tomorrow…

Speaking of IT’s, you guys do know the ET’s are about to make their appearance – right?

Then of course, there is this:

The Stat geeks at Kevin Malone have an interesting review of the Ddger catchers. The only importance stat is how often Martin (Skeet) pulled pitches to 3rd base which we all knew anyway.