Second and Nine and a Date With Destiny

Second and Nine and a Date With Destiny
  • Jim Thome didn’t get a chance when Adam Wainright drilled him rather than pitch to him.  My 10 year-old said “So that’s how he handles that?” (speaking of Wainright).
    Go Back, Jack - Do It Again...

Go Back, Jack - Do It Again...

Wainright wasn’t going to get beat by Thome.  He made his mind up about that.

• Clayton Kershaw didn’t have his “A Game,” but he pitched out of jam-after-jam and only walked one – he kept us in the game, and pitched well enough to win against anyone… except Wainright!  As a side point, Clayton Kershaw is a man!  Koufax had 5 seasons with and ERA below 3.00.  Clayton has one and is now four behind Koufax.  However, Koufax got his first when he was 26 years-old.  Enjoy this kid – he’s special!
  • Matt Holliday opened the door a crack and we busted down the rest of it – winning in our last at-bat for the 23rd time this year.
  • The Cards out hit us by a 2-1 margin, but they left 15 on-base and we only stranded 4.  Destiny was smiling upon us.
  • Mark Loretta was 0-15 against Ryan Franklin in his career when he drove in the winning run.
  • It looks like these just might be Destiny’s Dodgers – 21 years later!

17 Responses to “Second and Nine and a Date With Destiny”

1. Kay in L.A. says:

Meet me in St. Louie, Louie!!
    :-)

It comes down to: our guys are never-say-die fighters, Joe knows something we don’t and Somebody up there likes us!!

Casey Blake fans, unite. Loney figured, so did Belly, Martin and our bullpen.

2. Mr.Mike says:

Its good to be Dodgerblue.

3. Illini Dodger says:

I BELIEVE!

DO YOU BELIEVE NOW?

4. Jason says:

Soooo many good games this year!!!!! I just want to see manny hit some hr’s. Who one the contest for the poster?

5. Voldomer says:

What a game.

Mark, see you in St. Louie? (I now have tickets for both games 3 and 4, but I’d love a refund for that second one!)

6. A Shot of Haeger says:

I’m so happy with the effortand the never-say die attitude of this team. I’m feeling really confident in our chances to continue.

7. Mark Timmons says:

Vold,

My son’s football playoffs (I found out the schedule yesterday) prevent me from going. The Dodgers are important, buy he’s more important. I wish I could go, but I’ll be there in spirit!

Give us a full report. I’m sooooo jealous!

8. SpokaneBob says:

Incredible….

we spent a half hour replaying the end of the game. This team is so much more than Manny. Isn’t baseball great. It ain’t over til it’s over.

Belly justified Torre’s decision.

It was FANTASTIC!!!!!

Do you know when the last walk off post season win for the Blue was? It was Kirk Gibson’s home run. Funny that one guy had a front row seat for both events. Tony LaRussa! Don’t think it didn’t cross his mind. What a game! FYI, no NL team has come back from 0-2 in the division series. Lets not be the first to have it happen to us.

It is far from over. 1 game at a time. We are 1 win away from moving on. Smell blood, finish the job!

10. GoNzO says:

The baseball gods smiled on us today. We got them backed into a corner. The team can’t let up because STL will bring it. They are in it til the end. It would be sweet if we took the third game and let the guys rest a bit and have a lot of scouts at the phils and rox series.

What a day. I am very very tired and very very happy returning from the park. Wainwright pitched a gem and it seemed like Kershaw battled out of trouble most of the day but kept us in the game. The oncome was just crazy good. My brother inlaw and myself high fived at least 10,000 fans after the game. The stadium was as electric as the Cubs clinch game from last year.
    Manny looked very good in batting practice but didn’t have much for the game. It was a team effort today and was jammed packed with excitement. I got to meet Tommy Davis which also signed a baseball for me. All I can remember right now is a sea of rally towels waving around and the Dodgers dog piling on each other in the middle of the field after winning the game. The sweet sounds of Randy Newmans “I love LA” basting thur the park.
    All the experts are eating crow right now as it appears the Cards can be beat and even with Carpeter and Wainwright on the bump. All is well in Dodger town. Peace

• Kay in L.A. says:

Awesome, Bill, I am just catching up with your AAR (After-Action Report). No way to describe the excitement, huh, the joy!! I turned up the volume at home for sure. Our Dogs are brilliant battlers. They never stay down and I am thrilled for Mark Loretta.

As for the pundits, they aren’t worth our time, but I would like to personally deliver some redbird pie to Kevin Baxter and tell him “It tastes just like crow.”

Baby.
      ;)

12. DF says:

Some of you might remember back in ’85 when the Cards pulled out two consecutive ninth-inning HRs (Smith, Clark) to break the hearts of LA fans in the NLCS. I was just a kid then, but the memory still stings after all those years.

Tonight, Loretta & co. got some payback for that 24 year old disappointment. Thanks, guys.

13. SpokaneBob says:

Wainright complains that it isn’t “fair” that Dodger fans can wave white towels to make it harder to see the ball. Holliday says he lost it in the lights. Isn’t this part of the home field advantage. How long have the Twin fans been waving Homer Hankies?

If I am the St. Louis ownership, I issue white bath towels to the fans and tell them to wave them every time the Cards bat.

I think Torre and the team know that it’s not over till we win three games. The Cards and their fans play tough at home, but we can beat them there and it would be good to do it before Carpenter and Wainright can come back. Lets finish it on Saturday.

Go Dodgers!!!!!!!!!

The Cards are capable of winning 3 straight. We must finish this thing in St. Louis!

I am still excited about yesterday!!

Think Blue!!

15. Anonymous says:

every game this year with them has been a close game..and the dodger as been in every one..lost usually by one run..so i think if we are pumped up we can sweep..thanks to the dodger in the sky,