Anything Can Happen… And Probably Will

Anything Can Happen… And Probably Will

monkey-dartsI have read extensive analysis of which match-ups are the best for the Dodgers in the NLDS, which is a lot like all the baseball pre-season predictions.  I read all those magazines (and save them, which shows how stupid I am) and then go back and see how the prognosticators fared.  A monkey throwing darts at players names would be more accurate.

These people PRETEND to have some special ability to foresee the future because of their vast baseball knowledge.  PURE RUBBISHTo try and analyze (AND PREDICT) that the Cardinals are the best match-up for the Dodgers is like doing your taxes by starting at the bottom line and working up.  It’s silly and dis-honest!

Look, no one knows what will happen at a time when ANYTHING can happen.  Who will step up?  It could be someone like Raffy or Russ Martin, who have had less than stellar seasons.  Casey Blake could be the MVP.  Vicente Padilla could be lights out.  Chad Billingsley could pitch a perfect game (OK, I got carried away on that one).   Maybe Manny will find his stroke and hit like last year (OK, now I am really delusional).  The point is – we play the Cards.  We have to beat the Cards to go on.

2009_NLDSI’ll break it down further - We have to win 3 out of 5 games with the Cardinals, which means we need to score more runs and give up fewer runs than they do.  There’s my analysis and I guarantee that I am RIGHT ON!

We do know that Randy Wolf will start Game 1 on Wednesday and that Clayton Kershaw will start Game 2.  I have a feeling it will be Chad Billingsley in Game 3, but we will have to wait and see.   We should know very shortly what the NLDS roster will be.  I think it’s possible Jon Garland will be left off the NLDS roster.  I also think that  Doug Mientkiewicz played himself onto the NLDS Roster and that Thome is on the bubble.  Just my opinion.

My advice – We won 95 games.  We are better than last year.  Sit back and enjoy the ride.  I will root for the Dodgers all the way.  It’s just that Destiny is involved  Are these Destiny’s Dodgers?  Time will tell!  Let’s watch and see who is the new Mr.  October.

YESTERDAY’S GAME:

• Was that a preview of what is in Brad Ausmus’ future?  I do believe for a fact, that he will be a manager within 5 years!
  • I think Padilla could be a really option out of the pen, if not in the rotation.
  • Hu has to get some consideration as a utilityman next year (I see Castro going into coaching too).
  • It’s amazing how quiet it is in here when the Dodgers win.  I guess happiness doesn’t love company.

24 Responses to “Anything Can Happen… And Probably Will”

I am too excited about Wednesday and beyond! I agree with Mark here: It is a crap shoot in the playoffs and you never know what will happen! All I know is there is a chill in the air, it feels like playoff weather and I will be ready!

“Was that a preview of what is in Brad Ausmus’ future? I do believe for a fact, that he will be a manager within 5 years!”
    Believe it or not Mark, Houston has already mentioned him as a possible canidate for their vacant position!?! I hope he sticks around here 1 more year.

THINK BLUE!!

I wonder if Padilla to get the last 9 outs that will be required when Kershaw and Bills pitch? Could he be a guy out of the pen who gets 3 innings every other start?

Well the final attendance figures are in and as I predicted, the Dodgers drew well again. In fact, they drew more this year than last year. I think that would suggest McJamie, with payroll down 20% from 2008, had a pretty good year. And now with post-season gravy coming in, no excuses for not giving those who have it coming, the raises they deserve.

“It’s amazing how quiet it is in here when the Dodgers win.” I think many of us are just breathing collective sighs of relief at this point. As badly as we played the last week before clinching, it’s a miracle we still have the best record in the league. St. Louis was 2-8 in their last 10, Philly 4-6. Thank you both for not taking the opportunity to win home field.

Why would Garland be left off the roster? He and Wolf are the two guys we have that can get 7 innings. Bills could pitch a perfect 6, but he will come apart after that. Same with Kershaw.

Well the Cards starters have pretty much had their way with the Dodger hitters this year. Let’s hope we figure Carpenter out early. We need to take advantage of this home field situation. In a short series, good starts are paramount.

“The Cardinals will win if … Precedence prevails. Really, that’s all they need, given the pitching preeminence they’ve established. Only once of the 18 times Carpenter and Wainwright have followed each other in the rotation have they dropped both games (June 25-26, to the Mets) and if they get the series back to St. Louis in no worse than a 1-1 tie, the Clydesdales will preen for a wrap party.

The Dodgers will win if … Their starters cowboy-up enough to take the games into the late innings, when their relievers and veteran-stocked bench could both give them an edge. Tight games are their milieu (28 one-run wins)”

3. Ty says:

You’re right. No one knows but it’s their job to analyze and prognosticate. You’ve made predictions as well so don’t act like you know and they don’t.

Mientkiewicz should be our second lefty bat off the bench. We only need 10 pitchers on the roster since we don’t need a 5th SP

There is a simple inverse relationship between the number of pitches attempted to be pulled and the number of runs scored by the Dodgers in a game. I was overjoyed watching the Dodger hitters going the other way during the last 2 games.

Whoever decided which pitches that Padilla should throw yesterday should be given that job on a permanent basis.

Mark

Any update on Abreu?

I got tickets for Thursdays game and can’t wait to go. Monkey throwing darts is classic, great job Mark.

I’m just wondering how many pitchers the Dodgers will carry?
    Here’s my prediction

Mientkemiczeieio
    Thome
    Ethier
    Kemp
    Pierre
    Rameriez

Kuroda will replace McDonald second round

Castro Mota and Weaver will be left off

• Kay in L.A. says:

What a shame Haeger didn’t get played more. He did well vs. Cards on 8/17.

I believe Thome will be on the roster, although it is also my opinion he is better left off.

7. DavidB says:

Does anyone remember 88? The Mets pounded us that year. If I remember correctly they beat us like rented mule’s 10 out of 12 games. We all have to be posative and hope for the best!

8. A Shot of Haeger says:

I believe…. regardless of how they did against us in the past….here’s one fact. The Cardinals are the worst team in the National League against left-handed pitching and they’ll be facing at least three of them in the series… Wolf, Kershaw, and maybe Wolf again. It’s true… they have two aces in Carpenter and Wainwright who are going to make it very difficult for us, but our pitching gives them issues as well.

As Mark said…it’s a crapshoot!!! Just have to believe.

9. SpokaneBob says:

Ty,

I certainly don’t have to defend Mark, but his whole point was that no matter how well informed you are, no one (including Mark) can predict the outcome.

David, I believe (without looking it up) that we could not beat the Nets during the regular season in’88. But we got the job done in the playoffs.

So lets just hope the we are in each game and that they are exciting and that the home team wins each game.

10. SpokaneBob says:

Mets

11. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

I’ll give you 8.3 reason why Garland may not make the first round.

That’s his ERA against the Cards.

I thought you said –

These people PRETEND to have some special ability to foresee the future because of their vast baseball knowledge. PURE RUBBISH! To try and analyze (AND PREDICT) that the Cardinals are the best match-up for the Dodgers is like doing your taxes by starting at the bottom line and working up. It’s silly and dis-honest! Look, no one knows what will happen at a time when ANYTHING can happen.

Must have been someone else.

I guess we might as well send Garland home if the Phillies win because he had 6+ ERA against them.

He had a 2.72 ERA in the month of September going 3-2. His only bad outing was against the Pads so because of that you won’t put him on the team?

Man you are tough. Anybody else who got hit hard in that game not going to be on the squad?

BTW, he only pitched one game against the Cards and it was in April.

13. Harpo in SD says:

Quoting Mark’s post:

“We have to win 3 out of 5 games with the Cardinals, which means we need to score more runs and give up fewer runs than they do. There’s my analysis and I guarantee that I am RIGHT ON!”

You may want to rethink that “guarantee,” Mark. In the 1960 world series, the Yankees scored 55 runs and allowed 27, but the Pirates won the series, 4 games to 3.

14. Mark Timmons says:

Harpo,

I remember reading about that and while it is possible that we could repeat what happened in 1960, I feel that I am on pretty safe ground, but thanks for reminding us of that!

It ain’t over until the fat lady sings.

15. Blue Haze says:

Thome is clutch, I have only seen him hit basehits, the guy has to be on the roster.

____

Cucamonga Quakes

____

This is going to be a tough series for the Dodgers, at least based on the regular season. But this isn’t the regular season, so who is going to get hot? Neither team looked that impressive over the last couple of weeks.

16. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

I am just thinking that if Garland is not a starter, he really doesn’t belong in the pen (just my opinion) and since he doesn’t have a good record against the Cards, maybe he’ll be the one to sit. Unless he’s in the rotation, I’d rather have Weaver or Mota in the pen, and maybe even Elbert, because the Cards don’t generally hit lefties well (for whatever reason).

Garland actually pitched two games against the Cards and did pretty good in his second one. I just think we omly need 3 starters in the Cards series and Padilla looks better in the pen to me than Garland. Just my opinion….

17. Mr.Mike says:

Wow, I made the playoffs in MLBs fantasy baseball by going 20-6. Now its just a crap shoot much like the real thing, what you did in the real season dont mean jack[bleep]. Like what the Weisman said, if you thought last week was scary, just wait. P.S. I along with Tommy still have nightmares about about Jack Clark and Ozzie Smith

18. Kay in L.A. says:

Mark, I also noticed the silence in here after we clinched. I thought we would be partying. Maybe some people don’t like to admit having been wrong or too gloomy? Get over it. We are in it now. The Dodgers have the Mo.

Also, Mark, update us on whether you get tix to game in STL.

Two predictions from Kay:

Dodgers take it from the Cards in 4 games.

Russell Martin figures prominently in post season.

19. Illini Dodger says:

Hey!

Congratulations to the Dodgers and everyone here. I hope we are the underdogs the whole way to the World Series victory. We’ve been the favorites all year to do what we just did.

I BELIEVE!

20. Kay in L.A. says:

Romo and all, click here: Wolf not flashy, but ready to answer call
    Nice that Warrior Wolf finally gets to post-season play.

Hey good catch Mark. July 17th, Garland 2 earned in 7 IP at St. Louis.

Would you take that in game 3?

I’ll take the Dogs in 5. And yes Martin will play a prominent role. He will start every game.

MVP Manny

22. Blue Haze says:

Some new one liners for Ken:

“San Bernardino Spirit”

oh I more really funny one, “Bakersfield Blaze”

Damn that stuff is funny, Ken.

Just pulling your leg, just thought you might need a reminder.

I like seeing Wolf in Game 1, he has earned it, hope he isn’t to geeked pitching in his first playoff game.

“Lake Elsinore Storm” (that one has em rolling in the aisles at the Improv)

I smell 6 new songs.