An Old Dog Learns A New Trick

An Old Dog Learns A New Trick
stephen-clayton1

Clayton Kershaw & My Lefthander, Stephen

It’s no secret that Joe Torre likes the veterans and has even been loathe to play youngsters at times.  He has been admired, praised, castigated and reviled for that proclivity.  Therefore it comes as somewhat of a surprise that this announcement was made by Ken Gurnick of www.Dodgers.com:

“Dodgers manager Joe Torre planned to skip Randy Wolf and pitch Clayton Kershaw if a Game 5 was necessary in the National League Division Series, so it was no surprise that Torre on Wednesday named Kershaw to start Game 1 of the NL Championship Series that opens Thursday against Philadelphia.”

There you have it.  Just as I predicted – Clayton Kershaw will start Game 1 of the NLCS.  You tab your ace to start such a game and like it or not, ready or not, Clayton Kershaw IS our ace.   Don’t think he’s not ready.  He’d better be ready.  21 years old and anointed to start Game 1 of the NLCS – Heavy Stuff!    I think the kid has what it takes, but time will tell.

This is the time when legends are made.  Can he step up and be the real ACE?  Dang, that is really a lot to put on a 21 year-old and if Torre did it, you have got to believe that the Kid has what it takes.  I have been watching him since he was 18 and I think he does.  Let’s Ride!

I have to quote Tom Verducci of SI (make of it what you will):

“The Dodgers play baseball like they cut a rug:  uninhibited, boldly and with contributions from plenty of unexpected sources.  Such insouciance served them well during an NLDS sweep in which they committed no errors, held St. Louis to six runs, pulled off one comeback win that reached new heights of improbability, scored their final nine runs with two outs and thrived from the know-how of their manager, Joe Torre, ‘the horse whisperer of post-season baseball.’  ‘We may not be the most talented team.’ Torre says, ‘but, they just seem to find a way to win. They’re relaxed, and they have tremendous confidence.  They don’t feel like anybody should beat them.  Not can’t - that’s dangerous.  “Should” beat them.’”

I don’t think that anyone should beat these guys either.  After all….

These are Destiny’s Dodgers!

48 Responses to “An Old Dog Learns A New Trick”

That is such a cool picture of Kershaw and your son. He will cherish that forever. Awesome, but 1 thing Mark…. tell us you didn’t have your son wearing a Jason Schmidt tee-shirt :( C’mon man, that poor kid. I am sending a Kemp, Kershaw, or Ethier shirt ASAP!

BTW, did you announce the outcome of the young mans football game last weekend?

Think Blue!!

“…the waiting is the hardest part…”

2. Mark Timmons says:

He lost. 18-0. He had 3 sacks and 37 yards on 4 carries and a 33-year reception.

I told the coach he was an idiot! The moron tried to pass 70% of the time. No dice.

Coach came to my office yesterday and agreed.

We are fine.

1st year coach.

He loves my son’s work ethic. This is a kid who has bruises all over his body after a game.

He loves football.

This kid claims he will win the Heisman.

Baseball? He thinks it’s OK.

Football is his passion….

3. Mark Timmons says:

Yeah, it’s Schmidt!

4. Mark Timmons says:

In case you wonder, I am very direct. I talk to people face-to-face like I talk here.

More On Stephen’s Coach!!

Dodgers – Hit the ball the other way and win the next series. Pitch slection needs to be more unpredictable especially location. Baseball is a simple game when the players execute.

New weather forecast – Heat wave in LA starting Thursday night through Sunday morning.

7. Mark Timmons says:

Rudy Jaramillo is officially on the market.

Pitching rotation is
    Kershaw
    Padilla
    Kuroda
    Wolf

I’m surprised to see Wolf so low but watch MLB Network give some insite on why it was set this way. The Dodgers wanted Kershaw and Padilla to pitch at home and felt Kuroda and Wolf would be better on the road. I would think Wolf would pitch the three game with Kuroda not getting much real play action lately. I bet they know more then I. I wonder if Wolfs shoulder is acting up? or they just felt Kuroda’s pitch are sharper in practice. Who isn’t going to make the roster this round with Kuroda going on it? Weaver? Garland? Stay tuned….

I sure butchered the english language on that post. I think you can get the draft of what I’m trying to say. Peace

PS where is Badger? Roger? Is Ken working on his next hit?
    Kay , I’m the real Bill Russell but you can’t tell anyone.
    DRomo how is the little one doing?
    Mark keep up the good work.
    Too the rest of you guys, Go Blue…

10. Mr.Mike says:

With all due respect, Sandy Koufax was a childhood hero of mine[he is even part of my e-mail address]. I really don’t think these comparisons to Kershaw are fair to Sandy when he was 21. Go Blue! Do Badgers hibernate?

Mr Mike, You’ve got it. He’s hibernating. I bet Rogers hibernate also. I know how to bring him out of the woods/red rock. Watch this…… It sure has been peaceful in here over the past few days.

Will Rudy work under Don Mattingley as his hitting coach in 2011?

13. Mr.Mike says:

Oh, Oh Jamie and Frank are splits-ville, FoxSports reports.

That can’t be good news.

One comment I just read said that Jamie could take her half and buy the Royals. LOL this is coming at the wrong time. No free agents this off season.

I just heard on Baseball tonight that the Dodgers will only carry 10 pitchers for the second round against the Phillies. We know Garland didn’t make it but who is the other pitcher left off the roster with Kuroda coming aboard? Weaver was sent home with Flu like symptoms on Wednesday. Garland / Weaver? or Troncoso?

• Vigilante says:

You mean we left a good pitcher off the roster so we could keep Thome on? Mark my words, Thome will be the 26th Philly on the field, but he’ll be wearing Dodger Blue. A pathetic decision. Mark my words.

17. jerry says:

i hate to say it ..since olando hudson has not started for the dodger in the play offs. i bet he dont sign with us next yr.

Russ Limbaugh to purchase the Dodgers! haha.

Somebody has to be really really really pissed to file during the post season. In my opinion winning the WS would add 10s of millions to the value of the team. So, are the Dodgers owned by a control freak? I have always wondered if Jamie is either a very very very friendly person or a women with a wondering eye.

Ng will go to SD. No women will want to work for Frank. No free agents this off season. Apparently benching Hudson has allowed Jamie to save enough money for a retainer with a CFLS attorney. Maybe she should sell one of her 4 homes in LA. If Frank fires her and makes no distributions from LA Dodgers, LLC then the divorce war is definitely on.

Look for additonal management to leave the Dodgers. Look for players to not resign with the Dodgers. No long-term contracts this off season for the kids. Barry McGuire Time!!

I don’t think we miss O-Dog much next season. We will be fine with out him. Let’s face it, we got lucky he didn’t break down this year. I do not want a guy as fragile as he is long term.

I have to wonder about the whole McCourts break up. Do you find it curious that Frank put everything in Jaimie’s name before the season. Is my memory correct? He made her the CEO during last offseason? I wonder if she keeps the team and he bails out? I hope it isn’t the same thing that happened to the Padres!! That divorce killed the franchise.

BRuss the little one is doing great. She is almost 4 months now and looks great in her Dodger pajamas. Her big sis tries to teach her to cheer when her favorite Dodger comes to bat (James Loney, don’t ask me why). Thanks for asking

Lets jump out to a lead in this series….c’mon 5:00!!

Think Blue!!

Ken,

I had the same impression of Jamie! She is VERY friendly with people. How funny.

Gd I hope this doesn’t ruin the team! Not now!!!

• Ken says:

Great minds think alike!! I have not made a conclusion, still wondering, but it did seem alittle “in your face” sometimes. On the other hand maybe we both have a subconscious crush on her. I will just wait for the truth to be revealed.

21. Mark Timmons says:

I will not engage in speculation, but this could absolutely destroy the Dodgers, if Jamie is so inclined. Frank is the sole owner. You can read the “skinny” here in The LA Times by Bill Shaikin and Helene Elliot:

This could be a big distraction for the Dodgers or it could be something that galvanizes them. I think Frank McCourt has to address the team on the eve of this big game.

In a divorce, everything is on the table and one can assume the worst. There is simply no telling what will happen and I won’t pretend to know anything, except that this has the potential to be very bad!

22. Mark Timmons says:

Jamie CAN force Frank to sell the team, or gut the team.

Will she?

I definatley don’t have a crush on Jamie but I do agree she could kill this team/orginization.

The worst news of the day is that Peter Gammons describes Joe Torre’s time in LA as a “living hell”

What just happened here. less than 24 hours ago I though we had a great chance to go to the World Series with a core of young talent we would have for years and now I am wondering if this orginaization is falling apart! Unbelievable!

24. tdf says:

This team was starting to look really good for now and for the future. It must be a really bad situation for Frank and Jamie to go public with their problems at this time. Why now, anyway goooooo Dodgers!!!!

25. GoNzO says:

Well if push comes to shove maybe Eli Broad can put his money where his mouth is. He waited until the last moment to put in an offer for the Dodgers when McCourt bought..ahem, financed the team. The all he would have to do is let O’Malley become the president of the club and run things the DODGER way again.

Interesting tidbit Charles Steinberg sided with jamie mccourt and began to lose power within the organization. Now he has permission to seek employment elsewhere. Has somebody been bed jumping, or like my generation calls it creeping???? Hmmmm.

Has anyone gotten the final playoff roster for the Phillie series?

From what I can see, the only change is Garland off and Kuroda on. The Baseball Tonight crew said that the Dodgers were only going to carry 10 pitchers this round. I think that might be a mistake.

OK I’ll come out and say it. If we win it all this year this orginization will likely look totally different for a few years. Torre will walk because if he doesn’t want to stay he will likely want to go out on top. Bowa & Mattingley as well as the rest of the staff will likely be goe too. Guys like Kemp,Martin and Ethier will not get locked up long term and likely have to go to arbitration. We will not add starting pitching guys like Wolf, Garland, ever Weaver will be long gone and we will have a staff of Kershaw, Bills, Charlie Knuckles, and McD or Stults next year.

Eli Broad would be great if he is still intersested in the Dodgers. He did say he would bring back Peter O’Malley to help run the orginization but I know someone who was very close to that situation then that says Mr. O’Malley doesn’t want to come back and is very happy in retirement. He loves teh Dodgers and LA but is done running an orginization. Remember Mr O’Malley is not a spring chicken.

Either way I think we will be OK somehow. If we win it all I will take what ever comes!!

29. Mark Timmons says:

ROSTER ACCORRDING TO KEN GURNICK:

Starting pitchers: Clayton Kershaw, Vicente Padilla, Kuroda and Randy Wolf.

Relief pitchers: Jonathan Broxton, George Sherrill, Hong-Chih Kuo, Ronald Belisario, Ramon Troncoso, Billingsley and Elbert.

Outfielders: Manny Ramirez, Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and Juan Pierre.

Infielders: James Loney, Rafael Furcal, Casey Blake, Juan Castro, Ronnie Belliard, Orlando Hudson and Mark Loretta.

Catchers: Russell Martin and Brad Ausmus.

Pinch-hitter: Jim Thome.

Torre said he will stick with Belliard as the starter at second base over All-Star Orlando Hudson.

30. Mark Timmons says:

I predicted that Scott Elbert would make the roster, but little did I know it would be because Jeff Weaver came down with the flu. Ryan Howard OPS against Lefties is .450 points below that of RH. Moral of that story: No righty is allowed to pitch to him.

Frank may find that even though they came from a noncommunity property state California law may still apply to certain of their formerly seperate assets. Why would they have signed a pre-nup 30 years ago? Was one of them rich back then? Did one of them inherite a lot of money? For Asset Protection purposes? This will be very interesting. Maybe they will get an old style Catholic divorce and stay seperated for the rest of their lives while having to go to Mass every night to confess….? Who knows?? If they elect to go through the Collabrative Law process, like Robin Williams, then nobody will ever know what happened.

32. Kay in L.A. says:

Joe Torre, the “horse whisperer”… Hah!! As if the Dodgers are wild beasts!!! Well, maybe they are; Kemp likes to talk about being in “Beast Mode.” So maybe Joe is a “bison whisperer.”

What wretched timing on the McCourt announcement. The supreme selfishness of human beings never ceases to amaze me.

Mark, no worries whatsoever about our Ace’s age. People are constantly breaking the age barrier. Have you heard of Zac Sunderland … one of my favorite heroes in the world? …. who recently completed a solo sail around the WORLD last July and will turn 18 next month? Yeah. No worries.

33. Mr.Mike says:

I’m so excited that I had a hard time falling asleep last night. I’m quite sure that our players minds will be on their opponent and not on Jamie and her lapdog. Don’t worry about tommorow, seize the present and enjoy today. This is going to be sweet, Dogs are a steamroller and we are going to roll all over anything in our path. P.S. In case a new owner is needed in the future, I propose we buy our team, kind of like Green Bay in the NFL.

34. Kay in L.A. says:

Did you see that, Bill? Weaver is off; probably would have been on except for the flu.

Ryan Howard is a big threat. Have you guys seen the middle of their line-up? Whoa.

Congratulations on your bundle of joy, Romo. I guess I missed that news when it happened. Dodgers pajamas… how cute is that?

I wonder who Pete Rose is betting on? It’s getting close and I’m getting excited. GO BLUE

36. Mr.Mike says:

Oh yeah, my MVP pick for this series is James “Ryan who” Loney aka Batman. :O

37. Mr.Mike says:

Called his shot!

Looks like Kershaw caught Bills 100 minute Yips illness

39. Mr.Mike says:

Really now, anybody still in doubt? We’re a steamroller baby and we’re going to run all over you. P.S. Those of the feint of heart may want to take your sedatives. Live and breathe Dodger Blue James

40. LADODGERDAVE says:

i never want to see george sherrill pitch again

I feel Torres waited too long to remove Kershaw. Everyone could see he lost his rhythm and couldn’t find the strike zone. Everyone also knew that he would throw one down broadway to Howard. That cost us the game I feel. What happened to Sherril tonight? A case of nerves maybe. We need to bounce back tomorrow. Go Padilla.

42. jerry says:

i have to agree with bill..joe wait to long and had no one up in the pen..are starters have a habit of doing good and loosing it in a blink of a eyes.

43. Blue Haze says:

Joe screwed the pooch.

We left too many men on base.

Nothing more to say on that game really. That was felony stupid, Joe!

Welcome to the dark side.

More On Torre. Many times I have expressed my opinion that Torre does not know when to pull a pitcher. Sometimes too early, sometimes too late, just gut reactions based upon unresolved issues with his Dad?

Grady – Take out Pedro – How many times have I said that this year. If the Dodger coaches have not yet figured out that you can tell how Kershaw is going to pitch by where/how he falls of the mound then they should be fired. It does not take a brain surgeon to see that Kershaw went from pitching to throwing, like he and Bills so often do, with no real reaction from the Coaching staff then to say “he can work through it” when in fact neither he nor Bills can work through it.

How many Dodger pitches get into ruts and lose total command of their pitches. Too many. The result is that the Dodgers need a coach that understands that nobody show up everyday and it is better to pull the pitcher, and not gamble that he might give up 3-4 runs, and bring in a guy who will give up 1-2 runs.

Not just Felony Stupid but Death Penalty Stupid.

The only smart thing that Torre did this week was to let us all know that he is not coming back to the Dodgers when his contract is up. A negotiation ploy to get the Dodgers to buy him out? No. He knew that the McCourts were seperating.

Too many hitters chocked too. Hit the ball up the middle and do not swing at the inside pitches that are tailing into uyour body. Felony Stupid. Geez, don’t they think about what pitches are in the pitchers bag of tricks when they see the pitch?