What Would Manny Do?

What Would Manny Do?
manny_ramirez22

Manny Would!

Would Manny jilt the Dodgers for someone who will pay him more money?  Manny would!

Would Manny dog it in the outfield chasing a double and playing it into a triple?  Manny would!

Would Manny take an illegal drug in order the get an unfair advantage?  Manny would!

Would Manny ditch his teammates if he made more money?  Manny would!

We all know the story.  Here’s the Cliffs Notes’ version:  Manny held out for exactly what the Dodgers offered initially.  Manny started out hot.  Manny was suspended for 50 games.  Manny is currently a shell of himself.  You think the Jason Schmidt contract was bad?  How about $25 million (less the suspension money saved) for a guy who has 16 HR and 51 RBI in early September?  Those kind of guys make $5 million a year.

We won last night without Manny in the lineup.  We have a better record without him than with him.  Spin that how you want, but it’s a fact!   Look, I was not in favor or signing Manny, but I root for him because he’s a Dodger.  I don’t like his antics, I don’t like what he did in Boston, I don’t trust his character.  I can’t fault Frank McCourt for signing him.  After all, it’s a business and Manny puts butts in the seats, but Manny has become a liability.  Mannywood should be closed.  Manny should not be glorified!   Manny should not be the face of the organization.  Andre Ethier, Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw should be the face of the Dodgers.   Manny may have taught the young guys how to play and have fun, but I can no longer tolerate his character (or lack of it).

McCourt was right to close Mannywood when Manny was suspended.  He made a mistake in re-opening it.  Instead of glorifying Manny, his staff of lawyers should have been busy trying to figure out how to void Manny’s contract.  By taking him back, that avenue could possible be closed, but as a Dodger fan, I am asking that Manny not be on the team next year.  The despicable character of a quitter,  a guy who beats 64-year-old men, doesn’t always hustle and is a convicted cheater can lead to nothing but Bad Karma from the Big Dodger in the Sky!    Should the Dodgers worry about doing what is best for them?  Manny would!

I’ve said it before – I’ll say it again:  “I’d rather lose without Manny than win with him.”  In my mind, if we win it all this year, I will have an asterisk by the Championship.  But, that’s just me…

Rants & Raves:

• Are the D-Backs morons?  Everyone knew about the Abreu Grievance (which is ultimately why the Dodgers didn’t keep him – bad blood).
  • James Loney is heating up!!!!
  • Hiroki Kuroda goes tonight on the Sunday Night Game on ESPN.   This is a huge game for him and the Dodgers.  If he pitches a good game, the complexion of the staff is much improved.

Minor League Recap – 9/05/09 by Jared of http://thinkbluela.blogspot.com/
Albuquerque won 8-3

Tony Abreu – 1 for 4, 2 RBI, R, BB, K (.354 BA)
Blake DeWitt – 2 for 5, 2B, 3B, RBI, 2 R, K (.255 BA)
Scott Van Slyke – 0 for 1, K (.000 BA)
Chin Lung Hu – 3 for 5, 2B, RBI, R, SB (.299 BA)

Chattanooga lost 5-4

Trayvon Robinson – 0 for 4, BB, 2 K’s, SB (.220 BA)
Andrew Lambo – 0 for 4, 2 K’s (.254 BA)

James Adkins – 6 IP, 6 Hits, 4 ER, 3 BB, 4 K’s (4.48 ERA)
Javy Guerra – 1 IP, 0 Hits, 0 R, 0 BB, K (3.33 ERA)

Inland Empire won 11-8

Steven Caseres – 3 for 5, 3 2B’s, 2 RBI, R, K (.265 BA)
Jaime Ortiz – 2 for 5, 2 HR (5), 5 RBI, 2 R, 2 K’s (.249 BA)
Preston Mattingly – 5 for 5, 3 2B’s, R, CS (.235 BA)

Great Lakes won 9-2

Dee Gordon – 2 for 4, 2B, RBI, 2 R, 2 K’s (.301 BA)
Kyle Russell – 1 for 4, 3B, 2 RBI, R, K, OF Assist (.270 BA)
Alfredo Silverio – 3 for 4, 2 2B’s, RBI, 2 R (.282 BA)
Jerry Sands – 2 for 2, RBI, R, 2 BB (.245 BA)

Ogden won 9-8

BCG – 0 for 5, RBI, R, K, SB (.321 BA)
Clay Calfee – 3 for 5, 2B, RBI, R, K (.373 BA)
Kyle Orr – 1 for 4, 2B, RBI, K (.214 BA)
Blake Smith – 1 for 5, RBI (.204 BA)

Javier Solano – 2 IP, 3 Hits, 2 ER, 0 BB, 2 K’s (4.31 ERA)
Steven Ames – 0.2 IP, Hit, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K’s (1.91 ERA)

Players of the day – The 66ers’ offense

After losing Trayvon Robinson last month, the 66ers were dealt a blow when Scott Van Slyke was promoted to Triple A. But the bats responded with aplomb, accounting for 11 extra basehits (and 18 total) leading to 11 runs. I don’t recall ever seeing 2 separate players collecting 3 doubles in a game before, so that’s a notable achievement. And Jaime Ortiz nearly doubled his home run total for the season in one night. The season’s almost over for the Empire and they’re fighting their way out of the cellar, so let’s hope they can at least finish on a high note.

31 Responses to “What Would Manny Do?”

Well whatta you know. A W.

Not much else to say about last night. Wolf was good, Ethier with another dinger, Loney off the schneid if ony for a few days, a couple of unearned runs, a weak pen in the 9th. Thome ties Sosa for second place on the all time strike out list so, that was something. Uninspiring really, but hopefully a start.

USC looked pretty good.

About Manny, if he needs the steroids to do what he does then I absolutely agree we could be in trouble. But the rest of what you say I just don’t know. His teammates seem to like him, he never was a good outfielder but we knew that all along and the $25 million? – he isn’t costing us that – this year. Would he leave if someone paid him more? Stupid question. Wouldn’t anyone leave for more money? This is MLB, it’s what they all do. There is no loyalty to organizations anymore.

And as for this comment – “I’d rather lose without Manny than win with him.” come on man, you can’t really mean that. When he was thumping and all was right in Mannywood everyone including you was happy. Now we find out he was doing what half the league was doing after MLB turned it’s back on the issue and all of a sudden you want the Dodgers to lose? Get a grip Mark.

It’s a simple question really – is he pressing or does he not do what he does without the aid of steroids. If it’s the latter, we may be screwed. Won’t be the first horsesh*t contract Jed put together, and I doubt it will be the last.

Come on Manny. Get hot.

One of the most interesting books I ever read was “The Physics of Baseball” by Dr. Bob Adair.

Found this website recently. Fun read.

3. SpokaneBob says:

I am afraid that it’s not likly that Manny will exercise his option this winter. The way he has been playing, no team is going to pay him more than we will. I wish we had an option as well. I would rather spend the money on Matt Holiday. But all we can do is make the best of it. I will root for Manny and hope he can contribute as much as possible. I do believe his presence in the line up still has a positive effect, but our future is Kemp, Ethier, Kershaw and our other young players.

Nothing else to say that Badger didn’t already say. The Dodgers won and I am speachless.
    Mark is just trying to stir the pot in here this morning it appears to me. Not even Mark can agree with what his finger tips are typing.

Come on Hiroki Kuroda, we need you to be a healthy SP in order to have any chance (whatsoever) this year. The competition is still charging ahead and doesn’t appear they will roll over anytime soon.

The Real Questions are “Can the Dogs holdoff the Giants and Rockies to make the playoffs with the weakest schedule left in the majors?” AND “If we do make the playoffs can we last more then one round playing either the Cards or the Philly’s in first round?” Atlanta and Florida are slowly dropping out of the picture which will make the first round just a bit more difficult for the Dogs.

So I’m going to end with a short and sweet Dodger fight song.

“Lets go Dodger Dogs” clap clap clap,clap,clap
    “Lets go Dodger Dogs” clap clap clap,clap,clap
    “lets go Dodger Dogs” clap clap clap,clap,clap

Are you wishing the clap on the Dodgers?

Well, they need a shot of something.

I hope this year’s version of our Dodgers is taking this seriously. Are they are just in a holding pattern, waiting to turn it on when they feel it is necessary?

I can’t help but wonder where that early season juju went.

6. well last night we had some what of a line up, that we had after manny was gone…it was the speed at the top of the line up.. and that usaually make thing s happen..we need one line up and stick two it..not a different line up each night.

A mandatory cup and hair length policy should be put in force starting today! Glad to see the new batting helmets.

Now only Loney and Belliard can hit on this team apparently because the multitude of hitting instructors seem to only be able to work with 1-2 players a week. What a terribly weak performance by Donnie T-Ball and his Petulant assistant.

The chatter on the DBack blogs is they want their GM Byrnes fired over the Abreu mess becasue this is not the first major blunder from him.

Congrats to Wolf “The Cleaner” for really earning his performance bonuses: $0.5M each for 170, 180, 185, 190, 195, 200 IP. $2.0 mil and counting…

Hudson might feel like he is playing for free because his bonuses beyond 550 PAs are deferred without interest. Will he O-Dog it??

Hey Loretta when did you figure out that you will never reach your performance bonuses: $25,000 each for 250, 300 PAs; $50,000 for 400 PAs; $0.1M for 450 PAs. Try SD next year, they are growing tired of Eck.

Wow – Milton earned a performance bonus of $50,000 for 5 GS

Bills and Kershaw should be rested from their next starts against AZ and let Padilla and Haeger fill in for them. They both need the rest but for different reason. Kershaw should be shut down because he will pass the magic innings limit before the playoff starts and Bills needs to rest his leg – You can take that to the Bank!

9. lawdog says:

A .300 + average and 16 dingers for 2/3 of a season translates into a .300 + season with 24 hrs if you factor in the lost time to the suspension. If he has 20 hrs at the end of the year (likely) that’s the equivelent of 30 for the year.

Not superstar stats–but definitely not chopped liver.

I think the lack of roids in his blood has played with Manny’s head and his game this year. But he is still strong enough to pull 97 mph pitches into the left-center seats and fastballs on the outside into the seats in right center. He’s got the strength. He’ll probably come back for the 20 million he’s guaranteed in the option but then he’ll be in a contract year and will do whatever it takes to hit the ball wherever it’s pitched once again. He’s got holes in his swing that he periodically closes. It’s in his head. He’ll fix it because he’ll want to play at least one more year after next to get the jack he lost this year.

10. lawdog says:

If they’re not going to pitch Haeger they should send him back to Albertquacky so he can keep that dancer sharp. Worst thing you can do to a knuckle ball pitcher is sit him for a month and then throw him into a clutch game.

11. lawdog says:

Does Torre even think about things like that? Does he think he can sit Haeger on his ass for weeks at a time and then just throw him into a clutch situation and have him throw unhittable strikes. Got to use it or lose it!

I hear the rumors whirling about not resigning O-Dog and trading for Dan Uggla. I personally would prefer O-Dogie. Yes Uggla has 25 dingers but his average is .240. He can’t make the defensive plays that Hudson makes and I’m not sure he’s a great club house guy. Is he a Jeff Kent Jr? I don’t think he’s anywhere near as bad as the military style personality of Mr Kent sir but O-dogie may just want to return next year and I would gladly bring him back.

As long as we are maintaining our 4 1/2 game lead in the NL West, I see no harm in pitching Haeger. If he only lasts 2 innings next outing then the experiment ends. Skip Kershaw every other round but he needs to stay sharp. Bills on the other hand needs some rest for the next few weeks and then he must be tested before season’s end.

Will Ned be brought back to GM next year? This has been a very quite question without McCourt saying anything public about it. If Ned comes back and I think he will, he had better not resign Jason Schmidt as his first order of business.

13. Mark Timmons says:

Hudson or Uggla?

Hudson!

Period!

14. lawdog says:

I think Hudson is just about toast and would expect a Furcal type season next year. If we can get Uggly-man cheaply enough, I’d go for it. Hudson is a .250 hitter waiting to happen next year.

I’ll take Hudson. He is only 31, been in the league only 6 years, is having a typical year and appears to be a guy who takes care of himself. Don’t you think he should be fine until he is 35?

Colorado is doing to Arizona what good teams should do them. Take note Dodgers. Time to issue some spankings.

Haeger has an inning this month. An inning a week. That’s about all Joe will allow him.

I look for Manny to start coming through when it really counts. And, that’s any day now.

But Uggla is below a .250 hitter already Lawdoggie. It’s already happened to him. I like Uggla’s power but that’s about it. Can he hit that many HR’s at Dodger Stadium? He’s not in the same league defensively.
    O Dogie has saved many runs for us on defense alone and his bat isn’t too shabby. If the Dodgers are on a budget next year then we may have to get Ugly.

17. SpokaneBob says:

Hudson’s defense save almost as many runs as he knock in. The only weak spot in our D is Manny.

18. SpokaneBob says:

That was well written. I should have read it before hitting the button.

19. Blue Haze says:

Nice, a sarcastic self-edit, way to go SpokaneBob, I like your style.

20. Mark Timmons says:

Uggla is not a very good 2B defensively – think Jeff Kent at 40 without Ken’t ability to turn a slick DP.

21. Kay in L.A. says:

Kuroda-san is a Hero!!! Go, Hiroki. Welcome back, woo hoo!!!

Sadly, Haeger is not mentioned in the starting rotation for the coming week.

Randy Wolf, the Dodger Ace.

Belliard seems to be what Loney needed and vice versa; there is synergy there.

I am consistently pro-Hudson. I know some of you wanted to trade him, though.

As for Manny being Tranny, er uh, I mean I would just like to see him back in early season form.

Just heard that we have scored 3 or less runs more times than the Pods.

Yoiks.

An unearned run, then 3 up 3 down. Not a great start. But, let’s see how we finish.

23. Harold says:

Mark is right about Manny. At this point he is an expensive very average player. The clip tonight on ESPN points out 14 RBI in his last 40 games, and 4 of them came on one swing. That is the worst streak in his career. We are in the midst of a pennant race. It would seem to follow that he isn’t the same Manny without the steroids. I know Mark is probably stirring the pot but he is closer to the truth than we want to believe.

Maybe we would be better off without Manny in the lineup. Our record without him is better than our record with him in the lineup. Maybe without him the rest of the team will not be waiting for him to take the lead and will know they have to do it without him.

Manny is without a doubt the biggest disappointment we have this year, bigger than Russell of Raffy. He was to be the difference maker and isn’t. He was to do for us what Helton, Pujols, Howard are doing for their teams. Manny just doesn’t scare anybody now.

GO DODGERS!!

24. Illini Dodger says:

I hate to say it, but Harold you are absolutely right. Manny was supposed to make the difference. He was making the difference, then he got busted for ‘roids. Now he’s clean and a slightly above-average hitter.

Herein lies the problem. The Dodgers have no momentum. The Cards got momentum with the acquisition of Holliday. The Phils got it with Cliff Lee. We picked up a great role player in Sherill, but not a momentum builder.

We didn’t get drastically better, we got a little worse because the engine ran out of gas. It probably should have been out of gas when Manny’s suspension started, but the team played their hearts out and kept the boat afloat. When Manny came back, everyone expected him to pull the oar, and he didn’t.

We need some motivation to start the engine. It won’t come from the outside at this point. It must come from within.

25. Illini Dodger says:

This team can still win the World Series. They have proved off and on throughout the year that they have the ability to beat everybody. They need to believe it. This is when guys like Tommy Lasorda were at their best. They were cheerleaders and not strategists. We need a cheeerleader and a motivator. Who will it be? Or will the Rockies and Giants be playing in the playoffs instead of the Dodgers?

26. Illini Dodger says:

Glad to see the Dodgers are accomodating “Cy Young” Stauffer tonight. If I lived in the area, I wouldn’t pay to see the Dodgers right now. I can barely watch the games on TV.

27. Illini Dodger says:

I can’t remember the last time the boys came from more than 1-2 runs down in the late innings to win the game. Could this be the night? Could that be the motivator? Maybe a walk-off grand slam for the victory by Jim Thome? I think my alarm just went off.

I don’t think we were better without Manny. We started the year pretty good with him in the lineup, did ok with him gone and have been just a few games over .500 since he got back. This is a team schneid in my opinion. But I don’t take Manny out of the lineup.

Watch the Dodger offense flail away with runners in scoring position, or wash the dishes?

Wash the dishes… That would be my choice

1. [...] and I’ll root for them to the end, but somehow this feels a little hollow.  It was me who wrote this on September 6, 2009 about a player most of you were excited to get, Manny [...]