The Dodgers Read This Site!

The Dodgers Read This Site!

Of course they do.  I know and you know it.  How else do you explain the following:

The Lone Dog

The Lone Dog

1. Earlier in the season, I trashed Andre Ethier and call him Mr. Softee – presto, he’s an MVP Candidate.
  2. In the middle of August, I said we couldn’t win with Broxton as our closer after some blown games – bingo, he’s lights out with nine consecutive saves!
  3. Yesterday, I call for Raffy to hit 8th – bang, he’s 3-4 last night!
  4. Last month, I said Loney would be “white hot” in September – boom, he’s hitting .438 for the month.

Yes, the Dodgers get up early every morning and read what I say about them and react accordingly.  The Dodgers should put me on their payroll for supplying the motivation for the team.    Tomorrow, I am going to say that Chad Billingsley is Don Drysdale, Clayton Kershaw is Sandy Koufax, Matt Kemp is better than Kirk Gibson and Hiroki Kuroda is Johnny Podres.  Oh, and Russell Martin is Roy Campanella.  Yes, that should about do it, except for that Manny guy.  Hummmmmmm…

RANTS & RAVES

• Last night’s win was the biggest of the season for the Dodgers – this is where they get hot!
  • Kensai has a good post at Memories of Kevin Malone on Chad Billingsley’s struggles.
  • The Dodgers hit into 5 double play and still win.  That has to be a record somewhere.
  • 22 games left.  Keep the faith, Baby!
  • Bill Plaschke of The LA Times has a good article today on “The Torre Whisperer – Bob Schaefer”  “Statistics are one-dimensional, I also need to look in a guy’s eyes,” he says. “Around here, we believe that sometimes you can find the answer in a guy’s eyes.”
  • Billingsley didn’t have his good fastball last night.  The question is whether it’s a one-game thing or an issue.  We’ll find out.  He did adjust and kept the Dodgers in the game.  He pitched good enough to win, but not like he should.  There’s still time.

Minor League Recap – 9/08/09  from Jared of http://thinkbluela.blogspot.com/

Ogden lost 7-6Brett Wallach - 3 IP, 5 Hits, 4 ER, 4 BB, 4 K’s (5.23 ERA)
Player of the day – JT Wise, C

After a down August, JT is on fire in September. In fact, over his past 7 games, he’s recorded multiple hits in each of the contests with 4 home runs and 5 doubles. His .993 OPS is 3rd on the team and easily in the Top 10 in the league. The Raptors have plenty of pop on offense and Wise is yet another bullet in the magazine.

Clay Calfee – 1 for 5, RBI, 2 K’s (.333 BA)
Angelo Songco – 2 for 4, 2B, RBI, R, BB, K (.313 BA)
JT Wise - 2 for 4, 2B, HR (8), RBI, 2 R, BB, K (.343 BA)
Blake Smith - 1 for 5, 3 K’s (.206 BA)

48 Responses to “The Dodgers Read This Site!”

And the President reads my e-mails. Just wait until you hear his speech tonight. I told hi. th.t all t.at he ne.ds to. do. i. .. … … . …… ……………….

I think I told you last year that the Boys read this site. It was because of the undue pressure you put on the “Precious One” he could not perform. You made Andruw feel so self conscious he decided to eat his pain away. What I am saying is be careful what you say; you may ruin some of our fragile mind players.

Speaking of fragile minded… Chad Penny last night helped me figure out something. As I watched him I realized why he bothers some of us. When you watch a pitcher battle out there and fight to keep his team in the game despite his run support you can’t help but pull for him. Chad is not that guy. He isn’t a battler. He just isn’t a winner. He has great stuff, but he just isn’t a winner to me. Take a guy like Randy Wolf, when he goes out to the hill he doesn’t have near the “stuff” Chad has and yet he battles and you can see the determination all over his face. Chad looks nervous and scared. I have seen (literally) hundreds of pitchers who have great stuff but it takes more than that to win. Run support helps but even without it the good pitchers find a way to keep their club in the game. Some people have pointed out Chad had a good game 2 against the Cubs last post season. He also got 10 runs to back him up. That is what Chad needs; he needs the security of BIG leads. He is not a gamer, not a battler, and not a winner.
    Of course he is young, but that excuse only lasts so long. He needs to change now or the Dodgers should make the change for him.

The president that reads emails is no longer there Ken.

Mark:

#1. Some of us told you that you were wrong about that

#2. Some believed Broxton was a beast and a closer

#3. I told you Raffy would start getting on at a .400 clip and
    he has. Will he continue? Stay tuned.

#4. Some of us have said all along that Loney is a good first
    baseman. I wouldn’t trade him. Just leave him alone and he will
    figure it out.

Mark, you just need to trust what the old folks is telling you. I have been wrong a few times this year – e.g. – LaRoche won’t outhit Blake. But Blake will end up with the numbers I predicted. And the rest of that stuff – you just gotta believe!

Billingsley did pitch well enough to win. Would the same performance put the Phillies or Cards away? Maybe. The dbacks are 16-8 at home in the second half. They are a better team now.

Can we hit an ace? Let’s see tonight.

About Bills, a month ago he was 12-6. Then something happened and he lost 3 in a row. He didn’t win last night, but he didn’t lose either. I was watching him closely and it’s my opinion that if he had been able to get his curve over for strikes early, he would have done fine. For some reason, control of that pitch didn’t come til later. And frankly, I didn’t like the command he was showing on any of his pitches. Too many caught too much of the plate. His stuff is good, not great. What he needs to do is hit corners and get that good curve at the knees with regularity. I think that is difference between he and Wolf. Wolf has much better control.

Wolf also has guts. Chad doesn’t. Wolf used to battle his control if you remember watching him in Philly. But he kept fighting and fighting. Chad gives in.

“Billingsley did pitch well enough to win. Would the same performance put the Phillies or Cards away? Maybe. The dbacks are 16-8 at home in the second half. They are a better team now”

Seriously Badger? The Cards would have dropped a 10 spot on Bills. They are more patient and more potent than this free swinging D-Bag team. Regardless of how they play at home they are 20 + games back we should beat these teams.

This was supposed to be our “easy” stretch before the end of the season, so far we are playing down to our competition!

6. Blue Haze says:

I have repeated this often this season, but here goes: The Dodgers struggle against other teams’ #1 – #3, then they feast on #4 & #5 (okay they sometimes struggle against 4s & 5s), thus offensive numbers are greatly inflated, at least it appears that way (did not do geek-stat check to confirm). That spells huge problems in the post season. They are going to have to get real hot, offensively, or they are going to go home real, real early.

LMAOROTF at the “Dodgers are reading this board”, now that is some funny shat.

Blue Haze you are 100% correct. That is why the Dodgers went so long with out a 3 game losing streak. They would get shut down against the #1 & 2. Then clean up against the bottom of the other teams rotation. We can not hit good pitching and now we can’t hit Billy freakin Buckner?!?!

Today we get Dan Haren. We will have our hands full and will have to hope we are still in it when they have to go to the bullpen.

Thank God we won’t see any good pitching in the postseason….oh wait…

8. SpokaneBob says:

We beat Haren last year when we had to. I do see last nights game as a possible turning point. Lets win tonight and then go to Frisco and KICK SOME ASS!

9. Voldomer says:

I think Joe has to be asking himself if Bills is a starter on the playoff roster. I can’t see pitching him ahead of Wolf, Kershaw, Kuroda . . . or Garland and Padilla, for that matter.

Spokane Bob, This aint last year. That team was clicking on all cylinders at this time. This one is struggling to tread water.

Bills CAN NOT be a playoff starter. He has 3 weeks to change our minds.

11. A Shot of Haeger says:

Except he’ll never change your mind, no matter how he pitches. I thought Ken was the biggest doomsdayer on this board… but you’re the worst. You disparage Billingsley like he murdered your family… You can complain about how he pitches, he’s been mediocre, but questioning a mans desire when you’ve never met him or talked to him is pretty low. You are entitled to your opinion, I just think it’s pretty shady.

12. Blue Haze says:

So true Vold, Bills has to take a back seat to those guys in the playoffs. I can’t see him pitching ahead of Kuo in the 7th or 8th of a playoff game either. One thing is for sure, he needs to prove himself to his teammates this post-season, if he doesn’t protect his players in crunch time this year, he will never be the future ace on this team. Bills has to grow a pair for this stretch.

I question his ability to battle through and keep his team alive. He hasn’t shown that ability. Has he? Am I missing something? I believe he can change many pitchers have done it. Cole Hammel was terrible in the 07 postseason then woke up and was a stud last year. Bills might be able to do it but he hasn’t shown it yet.

I just call it like I see it and I think most agree Bills has ace stuff but his head is a mess right now. I don’t need to meet him to see that.

Haegar, tell me one time Bills has come up big for us? Since last season he pitches great until there is a sign of trouble and he is a different guy all together. I am not saying he isn’t a nice kid. The “Aw shucks” type of kid you want to have over for dinner. But remember the saying NICE GUYS FINISH LAST!

15. A Shot of Haeger says:

I don’t have a problem with you questioning his ability or whether you think he has what it takes, or basing your opinions on past performance. I question your remarks on his character. Calling someone gutless is definitely judging someone’s character.

You don’t have to call him Chad Penny or gutless to get your point across. I don’t think you really know what having no guts means?

Shooting a man in the back is gutless, hiring someone to do your dirty work is gutless.

Chad Billingsley walking off the mound in the middle of an inning after allowing two baserunners on. That’s gutless. He may be struggling right now… but he’s out there trying. He’s facing his obvious problems and trying to overcome them to help this team.

His results may very well make him the odd man out of the post season rotation…but the effort is there… the guts are there.

16. A Shot of Haeger says:

Nice Guys Finish Last..is the biggest crock I’ve ever heard. Some nice guys finish last… some nice guys finish first as well… Albert Pujols is a pretty nice guy I’ve heard… Barack Obama from all intents and purposes is a pretty nice guy. He’s the president! George W Bush…while I may not agree with his policies..for all intents and purposes…was a nice guy as well… President. Bill gates gives tons of money to charity…he’s a pretty nice guy…. I can give you tons of examples…

17. Blue Haze says:

Blue Haze is a nice guy, Mark is a nice guy…

Chad didn’t pitch that badly people. One of those runs came across because Belliard couldn’t bend over and scoop a ball that was 3′ to his left. Even Furcal looked at him with a “what the ?” look on his face. He also had an ump put another of those runs on the board, so in an alternate universe – he went 6 and gave up two runs. And don’t underestimate the dbacks hitting abilities. They have some scrappy players on that team and they love to hand it to the Dodgers.

The Cards are good, but in their last 14 games they have scored 3 runs or less 8 times, against some bad clubs.

Having said that, I will ask the same question I asked earlier – Bills and Kershaw against Carpenter and Wainwright in St. Louis. Who you got?

Haegar, He didn’t stand up for his teamates. That would have taken guts. He melts down when he hits rough patches. In sports you have to have guts to pull through. That is what I am talking about. As a fan I don’t care if he is a nice guy, JUST WIN. I dont care if he has confidence issues or if his dad didn’t hug him when he was little, JUST WIN! I am tired of seeing other young starters develop into monsters and the ones we overhype turn into decent at best. It is time for him to step up.

Nice guys in sports finish last. That is just the way it is. The guys with mean streaks on the field are winners. Drysdale, Gibson, Kirk Gibson, Michael Jordan, Magic, Bird…you name it they were bastards on the field of play. If Bills could get mean he would be better off.

Pujols is a phony, before his career is up we will all find that out I guarantee that. Just mark my words. I don’t even want to get into that right now.

I assume you mean we will find out Pujols has done steroids? If so, too late, you are into it.

I hear Padilla is a mean SOB. Maybe his attitude will help us? I know Milton Bradley was an ornery cus, but it must not have rubbed off enough to get us a championship.

I think the Phillies of last year were mostly nice guys – weren’t they? They didn’t seem nasty to me.

I don’t know. I think I would rather have 25 guys who play good baseball – and nice or not nice had little to do with where we finish.

21. Mark Timmons says:

David Howard is a peach.

Jimmy Rollins is OK

Chase Utley is a good guy.

Jamie Moyer.

Well, you get my drift.

Here’s some ERA’s for the Month of August:

Wainwright 1.30 (no way he keeps that up – the odds will kill him soon)

Lee 2.00

Carpenter 2.20 (More likely to keep it up or lose his arm)

Linecum 2.45

Sabathia 2.64

Wolf 2.76

Greinke 3.14

Billingsley 3.21

Cain 3.74

Marquis 4.05

Verlander 4.12

Pinero 4.19

Halladay 4.71

Hamels 4.91

Haren 4.95

I mean, Bills isn’t at the top, but he wasn’t worthy of so much hatred in August.

22. Kay in L.A. says:

Loney!! Loney!! Loney!!!

Need I say more? Okay, I will: Belliard!! Kuo!! Pierre!!

Charlie Steiner is a fan of Kay in L.A., I think, have heard some of my ‘isms’ in his commentary.

ROFL.

23. tdf says:

Good afternoon everyone, I just think that Chad is just a knice guy and all of us Dodger fans want to see him succeed. I tell you one thing though, I have alot more respect for Kuroda for doing what he did in last years playoff game against the Phillies. When he brushed back Victorino. That shows the team that he has fire. I guess that type of leadership comes with experience.

24. Kay in L.A. says:

It still says Sunday pitcher TBA. Kuroda was moved to Saturday.

Do you have the scoop on that, Mark, or does anyone have good guesses?

The scouting report says Padilla or Bills.

This will be vs. Penny for the Jints.

25. Mark Timmons says:

Hot off the Press from Josh Rawitch of the Dodgers:

Garland going against his old team again tonight…every win is big these days and we’ve had a couple the last two nights.

Here’s the lineup:

Furcal, SS

Kemp, CF

Ethier, RF

Manny, LF

Loney, 1B

Belliard, 3B

Hudson, 2B

Martin, C

Garland, P

Also, while I’m waiting to hear details from our PR rep on the road after Joe Torre passes them along to the media, it appears Randy Wolf will miss his next start and this weekend we’ll be Kuroda, Padilla, Billingsley this weekend against the Giants. More details coming shortly on this blog (if I’m still at a computer) or from Ken Gurnick on the front of the site.

26. Mark Timmons says:

Randy Wolf has been scratched from his scheduled start Friday night against the Giants with stiffness in the back of his left elbow. Wolf was sent to Los Angeles and received a cortisone injection. Club officials believe the injury is not serious. Hiroki Kuroda will start Friday. — Ken Gurnick

Translation:

His arm fell off…

27. Mark Timmons says:

Charlie Haeger, come on down!

You can never have enough starters!

They are dropping like flies!

28. SpokaneBob says:

We have a team full of nice guys. Ned has made sure that we get “good clubhouse guys” and you can see it in the way the players relate to each other. Manny may be an exception, but in his own way he has had a positive effect. Padilla had a bad rep but Wolf and Bowa said he was a good guy in Philly. No Kents No Bonds No Shetfields

Torre will be in an interesting situation as far as picking starters in the post season. If Padilla keeps pitching well and Kuroda gets sharp, we will have alot of options. I could see Bills pitching out of the pen, he has done it before and did well.

29. Kay in L.A. says:

Mark, all these incidents with the pitchers are just screaming for Haeger to come in and save the day, or at least show his stuff.

Dare I ask for the doggies to continue the winning streak?

Loved that game last night.

30. Kay in L.A. says:

Also, what about Weaver? He did well the last few starts.

31. Mark Timmons says:

Jeff Weaver is still on the team?

I thought he retired!

;)

32. Kay in L.A. says:

I went to look for his stats and got a blank page.
    I guess so….
    ;-)

33. Mr.Mike says:

Put your gameface on, this is war. Gracie’s pretty entertaining. Mark loves Clayton, Ldog loves Haeger, DRo hates Chad, we all love the Dogs! Joe wants nothing more than to stick it to the Yanks. Was James McD impressive last night or what? Thanks for all the Karma Mark. Hey, the team should follow Raffys lead and show some socks.

Back at cya

Cool Brad v Chad! Will Brad pitch like Chad or will Chad pitch like Brad?

I love everybody…

and if you say otherwise,

I\’ll beat the hell out of you!

37. Mark Timmons says:

I just wish that we could beat Bad Penny like a rented mule. I would sooner lose 2 out of 3 games than win 2 out of 3 and lose to Penny.

Also, I’d like to see C-Bill put a ball in Penny’s ear!

9th inning victory for the Rockies.

And we really seem to crush the ball with nobody on. Sure would like to see a 3 run homer now and then.

Well, Haren didn’t beat us.

And, we give it away.

But, Reynolds struck out. On the black and the ump choked on it.

However, you only score 3, you don’t really deserve to win.

The offense is still sputtering.

40. Illini Dodger says:

Dodger bats go MIA after the 3rd. Rox win again. We’re going down to the wire. Does it matter? I was looking for a bounce from last night and all I got was a splat. We need a minor miracle to best the Cards at this rate. :(

41. Illini Dodger says:

Can somebody cheer me up? Tell me how it’s all going to fall in place. Please?

42. Illini Dodger says:

Seems to me all these “injuries” to our pitchers will keep them fresh for the stretch run. It’s going down to the wire again for the division. I’m wondering if it matters if ewe are the division winner or wild card. It’ll be fun to be the underdog in the playoffs after having the best record in baseball for half the year.

Destiny Dodgers? It might be, but to where does our destiny lie? Wolf (our best starter) injured his elbow after looking great. Remember he has had arm issues in the past. Clayton did his best “bug on a windshield” act during BP recently. Whats next? We won the series in the desert but why does it feel like we didn’t?

I know why I feel that way – we sucked with RISP, we hit solo home runs and we give it away in the 9th. None of these are signs of a team ready for play-off baseball. If we choke in front of 20,000 in Phoenix, what will do in front of 50,000 and a national audience?

Maybe this team is just waiting until it really means something, then they intend to turn it on.

Here’s another observation after watching every out of this series – Belliard is not a very good 3rd baseman. He let two runs score in the last two games, and yet did not get an error on either play.

We need better play from 3rd base, both offensively and defensively. Until last night, Belliard was doing fine offensively, but dropped from .370 to .314 very quickly. And watching him in the field was nerve racking. We need a Mark Reynolds, Pablo Sandoval, Kousmanov type of player – you know, a real Western Division kind of third baseman to help us score some needed runs and make some plays.