Stirring The Pot?

Stirring The Pot?

Stirring the pot?  Me?  I resemble that statement!  However, this I believe:

Hanley Ramirez - Emerging Superstar

Hanley Ramirez - Emerging Superstar

1. Manny Ramirez has become a liability – he’ll get better, but he’s still a liability;
  2. Russ Martin will regain his post-2009 form (maybe this month, maybe next year);
  3. I like Orlando Hudson, but he will probably be too expensive.  I think the Dodgers would offer him a deal like 3 years/$16 million, but that’s probably not enough (someone else will give more and he’s not worth that);
  4. We won’t trade for DanUggla – too one-dimensional, and not enough defense;
  5. Who’s on 2B?  It won’t be Tony Abreu unless the D-Backs void his deal (not likely).  It could be Blake DeWitt (his bad year doesn’t faze me) or Ivan DeJesus, Jr.  I see Ivan as a 2B, not a SS (not quite enough range).  After missing most of this season, he could be another year away, but you never know.
  6. I have suggested trading Martin and Loney, but I like both of them too much to do that yet!
  7. If this were my team, I would figure out how to void Manny’s deal and put Pierre in LF.
  8.  Then I’d trade Raffy for whoever would take him if we paid half his salary.
  9. Next, I’d trade Dee Gordon, Andrew Lambo, Scott Elbert, Chris Withrow, James Adkins, Ethan Martin and James McDonald (I’d overwhelm the Marlins) to Florida for Hanley Ramirez.  All the Dodgers have to do is rename Mannywood to Hanleywood!
  10. I still believe that Chad Billingsley and Clayton Kershaw will be the Dynamic Duo!
  11. I would choose one of the following:  Randy Wolf, Vicente Padilla or Jon Garland (we’ll see how they do the rest of the way).

Starting Lineup:

Rotation:

1. Kershaw
  2. Billingsley
  3. Kuroda
  4. Wolf/Garland/Padilla
  5. Haeger

Rafael Furcal is not the player he once was.  Manny will never be THAT guy again and Juan Pierre is a pro!  We will have him for two more years and he’s our only legitimite leadoff hitter.    DeWitt or DeJesus will be fine at 2B as long as they hit #8.  Our farm system doesn’t have a lot of major league ready players, but we have a lot of lower level players who are coming fast.  We would gut our system to get Hanley, but he could be the face of the Franchise with Kemp, Loney, Ethier, Martin, Billingsley and Kershaw for the next 10 years.   Dee Gordon will be a very good player, but we can trade him for a SS who will be there for 1o years.  We have two years to get a LF and/or leadoff hitter.

I don’t mean to disrespect Orlando Hudson.  He has played amazing defense and has saved many hits and runs.  He is 31 and is fragile to some degree.  While he is probably good for the next 3 years years, he is a risk and you don’t pay more than  $6 or $7 mil to a guy who is not a HR hitter.  You just don’t.  DeJesus and DeWitt are cheap and allow you to pay in other areas.

Oh, finally, I would ditch Torre and company and Colletti.  Here’s my staff:

• GM – Kim Ng and Logan White (duo)
  • Manager – Kirk Gibson
  • Pitching Coach – Dave Duncan
  • Hitting Coach -  Mark Loretta
  • Third Base Coach – Brad Ausmus
  • First Base Coach -  Mariano Duncan

But, if we win the World Series this year, forget all of what I said!  I still think Joe needs to open a can…

whoopass

RANTS & RAVES

• Again, it wasn’t the pitching.  It was the hitting.  Kuroda was rusty, but that was expected.  No Hitting!
  • It’s not time to panic.  This is a game of momentum and we have 3 more weeks.  Panic if we give up first place or if we are still playing like this in two weeks.  In the meantime:  Don’t Worry, Be Happy!

Minor League Recap – 9/06/09 by Jared of http://thinkbluela.blogspot.com/
Albuquerque lost 3-1

Xavier Paul – 1 for 5, K (.330 BA)
Chin Lung Hu – 0 for 4, 2 K’s (.297 BA)
Blake DeWitt – 0 for 3, BB, 2 K’s (.253 BA)
Scott Van Slyke – 1 for 3, BB, E (.250 BA)
Tony Abreu – 0 for 1, K (.352 BA)

Josh Lindblom – 1 IP, Hit, 0 R, 0 BB, K (2.54 ERA)

Chattanooga won 6-0

Trayvon Robinson – 1 for 4, R, BB (.222 BA)
Andrew Lambo – 1 for 4, RBI, K (.254 BA)

Inland Empire lost 7-6

Steven Caseres – 0 for 5, R, 2 K’s (.262 BA)
Preston Mattingly – 2 for 4, RBI, R, CS (.238 BA)

Tim Sexton – 4 IP, 6 Hits, 5 ER, 2 BB, 3 K’s (3.96 ERA)
Kenley Jansen – 1 IP, 4 Hits, ER, BB, 2 K’s (4.63 ERA)

Great Lakes won 8-2

Kyle Russell – 2 for 4, 2B, RBI, 2 R, BB, 2 K’s, 3 SB (.272 BA)
Alfredo Silverio – 0 for 3, R, 2 BB, 3 K’s (.280 BA)
Jerry Sands – 2 for 3, 2 2B’s, 2 RBI, 2 R, BB, HBP (.257 BA)

Ethan Martin – 3 IP, 3 Hits, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 6 K’s (3.87 ERA)
Nathan Eovaldi – 3 IP, 3 Hits, 0 R, BB, 3 K’s (3.27 ERA)
Cole St Clair – 1 IP, 0 Hits, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K’s (2.48 ERA)

Ogden lost 5-3

Clay Calfee – 0 for 4 (.345 BA)
Mario Songco – 1 for 4, R, 3 K’s (.307 BA)
JT Wise – 2 for 4, 2B, HR (7), RBI, R (.338 BA)
Kyle Orr – 2 for 4, 3B, RBI, K (.222 BA)
Blake Smith – 1 for 4, E (.206 BA)
BCG – 0 for 1, K (.320 BA)

Players of the day – The Loons

Ethan Martin and Nathan Eovaldi combined for 10 strikeouts and only 1 earned run today. The dynamic duo has impressed all year but gotten better as the season rolled on. Martin’s post AS break ERA is 3. Eovaldi’s post AS break ERA is 2. Cole St Clair hasn’t allowed a run since July. Kyle Russell is a 20/20 player with his 3 stolen bases today. Jerry Sands salvages his trip back to Great Lakes with a 7 for 13 September. Alfredo Silverio batted .290 after the AS break with 9 home runs. And of course, there’s league co-MVP and Prospect of the Year Dee Gordon who (I believe) leads the planet with 73 stolen bases. Not quite the 2005 Jacksonville Suns, but a great collection of talent.

31 Responses to “Stirring The Pot?”

1. Mr.Mike says:

Now I really know that you are full of it. Mark Loretta hitting coach. That’s a good one Mark. LOL

2. JSIMONN says:

WHY NOT JIM THOME AS HITTING COACH?-MAYBE WE CAN SQUEEZE OUT 1 MORE YEAR OUT OF MANNY RAMIREZ BEING AT LEAST SOMEWHAT PRODUCTIVE.I AGREE THAT IT IS NOT PANIC TIME,BUT IT HAS BEEN 7 WEEKS NOW!-THIS IS MUCH DIFFERENT THEN LAST YEAR’S 8-GAME LOSING STREAK!.I AM SURE THE METS WERE SAYING DON’T PANIC UP UNTIL THE POINT WHEN THEY BLEW IT!.
    I DO WANT TO POINT OUT HOWEVER THAT OUR LEAD IS TECHNICALLY 4-(NOT 3 1/2) BECAUSE IF THE ROX AND DODGERS BOTH ARE GOING TO PLAYOFFS AND THEY END UP TIED,THE DODGERS WIN NL WEST BASED ON HEAD-TO-HEAD RECORD.I WILL ALSO SAY THAT THE ROX UPCOMING ROAD TRIP WILL TELL US A LOT ABOUT US HANGING ON TO WEST LEAD.STARTING ON FRIDAY,THEY PLAY 3 AT FATHERS,3 AT SF,AND 3 AT ARIZONA-(DONT THINK IT WILL TOO EASY).DURING THAT ROAD TRIP,WE WILL FACE 6 WITH SF AND 3 WITH THE PIRATES.I WILL ASK THE SAME QUESTION TODAY THAT IVE BEEN ASKING MYSELF FOR 7 WEEKS NOW!-IS TODAY THE DAY THE OFFENSE SHOWS UP?!-GO DODGERS09!

You would trade every one of our good prospects for one player?

I wouldn’t. Most trades like that involve 3 prospects and occur when said player is about to leave. What is Ramirez’ contract situation? Florida won’t let him go until the are forced to. If that is now, offer them 3 of our best but keep Withrow.

Manny isn’t a liability yet. Not until the season is over. Once we have been eliminated, and it could be before the play-offs at the rate we are going, then we can talk liability. Until then, he is one of the three players on this team that other teams are forced to respect. Even as bad as he has looked, his numbers are still right up there. .302 .420 .543 and .963. He is a guy that at any moment could turn it on. He must be in he lineup until the last day of the season. How about the rest of this lineup? Somebody else has to pick it up. Having a lead-off hitter would help. Anytime Russell. Where’s the Foundation? As I said yesterday, this is team schneig.

We had our opps last night, just didn’t come through.

How long ago was it we had a 15 game lead on Colorado? Doesn’t seem that long ago to me.

I have a group of Dbacks friends coming over today for potato salad, vegetarian spare ribs (they are actually quite good) ginger beer and the game. Not sure if I am looking forward to it or not.

The past is history, the future is a mystery.

Can the Dodgers forget yesterday? Can the Dodgers carpe the diem?

The time is now. Let it begin today

4. Mark Timmons says:

Mr. Mike,

Why wouldn’t Loretta be a good hitting coach?

• Ken says:

Many players who have taught themselves to hit will make good batting coaches. Especially those who once were average and then became All-Stars like Loretta. Put him in AAA for a year and see what happens.

5. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

The Marlons have Ramirez signed through 2014, but he only made 5.5 mil this year. It escalates to $11 mil in 2011 and then to 14 and 16 mil. I don’t think they can afford it. I also think that they would have to be “blown away” to make the trade and those 7 players would blow them away.

It really wouldn’t hurt us much, because we have another wave of really good prospects coming right behind them. Hanley Ramirez is one of the Top 5 players in the game and he’s only 24. He might be THE BEST player in the game in a year or two. You would HAVE to give up a lot to get him.

6. Ty says:

Hanley would be great but I doubt it happens. Loney and Martin for Adrian Gonzalez would be nice. Loney is nothing more than an average 1B. He doesn’t hit with enough power. He’s just a singles hitter right now with above average D (easily replaceable). Martin isn’t this bad but he wasn’t as good as people thought he was. A catcher like Martin isn’t easy to find but it’s not like he’s Mauer or even McCann. Gonzalez is worth the risk of losing guys like Loney and Martin.

• Kay in L.A. says:

Oh Ty, I’m crying. Loney has made some great fielding plays lately and is waking up at the plate as well.

Panic is an irrational response. We wil not panic. We will always objectively observe and report the facts while making appropriate recommendations to correct ongoing problems that have obvious solutions.

8. Kay in L.A. says:

You cannot put that can of WA anywhere near Joe Bigelow; he won’t open it. You have to change the label to “Green Tea, Decaf.” Yuk.

Green tea obviously is not much of a motivator.

However, I agree with Badger or whoever said a PO’d manager who gets thrown out of the game is just the ticket.

What is all this with peace and love in the clubhouse? I disagree with Lyons’s spin on that. What’s wrong with a little rivalry and friction among the guys? Spice of life.

For now, nearly all our players are keepers in my view.

I see no panic in the Dodgers. I would like to see a sense of urgency soon.

Mark, take a close look at the Tigers trade for Miguel Cabrera a few years ago. They sent 3 pretty good prospects and threee lower ones for two All Stars. That’s 6 prospects for two Major League All Stars. (granted, one of them was not playing well) What you have proposed is 2 Major League ready and experienced prospects plus two of our best pitching prospects and our one remaining hitting prospect for one player. Only a couple of teams will be able to afford that contract so Florida is limited in their trading partners. Start the bidding low. I wouldn’t fire all the bullets at once.

I still don’t know why the Pads would trade Gonzalez. Not yet. Talk about affordable production.

10. Illini Dodger says:

We might see a pretty strange line up today with the afternoon game following the night game on a travel day. Maybe that’ll be the ticket to shake up the line up and score some runs. I hear Scherzer isn’t as effective at home. Let’s hope he’s not effective, at all, or downright miserable.

Scherzer is pretty good at home. But, he has been up and down.

He was up last time we saw him.

Hey, where is our starting lineup. I usually get it right here.

Party about to start here. Who’s coming over? Mark? Bill? Ken? Kay? Gonzo? Anybody? I could use the support. 8 guys coming and every one of them is a dbacks fan. Could be an interesting afternoon. Could be humiliating. Again.

• Ken says:

You should invite us over for Harry Houdini’s birthday in March. That way we could escape from our jobs.

12. lawdog says:

Hey Badger–Do you have a recipe for the vegetarian spare ribs? This vegetarian path is hard enough to tread in the western world without some good imitation meat.

I think I’d swap first basemen with the Pods, throw in Martin (Ellis is ready and so is May) plus add a second level prospect or two to get the deal done and focus the FA money on a top tiered pitcher. You don’t have to replace left field yet. Manny’s going to pick up his option. He might be a .300 hitter now and only capable of 25 homers as he’s done this year, but he’s still a .400 OBP guy because he gets so many walks.

We need to replace Hudson. He wore out at the all star break and is now a liability. And Furcal is toast offensively–but he’s got a good glove and probably is okay if you bat him 8th. (Why isn’t Joe batting him 8th now?)

Hu’s on first? No, he probably should start at second or short next year. He’s made a believer out of me hanging in there like he did until his average went from .210 to .300 over the course of about 6 weeks.

13. Mark Timmons says:

Kershaw injured his right shoulder and will miss his next start!

TODAY’S LINEUP:

1. Furacl
    2. Kemp
    3. Ethier
    4. Ramirez
    5. Loney
    6. Belliard
    7. Hudson
    8. Martin
    9. Padilla

Finally – Kemp back hitting 2nd!

How about some Oudinian fire in their guts today

15. Mark Timmons says:

Start talking trash, Badger.

I’ve got your back.

16. Mark Timmons says:

Since Joe won’t get fired up, Manny took it into his won hands and got run…

Let’s see if it works.

• Ken says:

Torre – Is he the Tin Man, the Scarecrow or the Cowardly Lion? Then again maybe he is the Wizard who was just a fake anyway.

17. Mark Timmons says:

Padilla will drill someone in the 6th or 7th inning before he is taken out.

18. Blue Haze says:

I’ll be right over Badger (wink wink nudge nudge).

19. Mark Timmons says:

Padilla is a chicken________

• Mr.Mike says:

Chicken Pot pie. Loretta although he has a .295 average and has walloped 76 home runs in his career just doesn’t have the credentials to me and I really thought it was funny. What is he going to tell Andre next year when he loses his power stroke and would anyone listen to him?

20. SpokaneBob says:

I think Belliard doged it on that ground ball (5th inning) before Young’s homerun. He expected Raffy to make the play but Furcal couldn’t get there. Its a good thing he hit well today or I would have to have Mark “have a talk with him”.

Great party. Missed you Haze. Had a cool one waiting for you. Ginger beer of course.

ldawg, we buy Garden Burger and Morningstar Farms spare ribs. Good stuff. Amazingly nobody here had ever had them before and these guys have all been vegetarians for over 30 years.

Another ump loses his cool. They seem to forget not one person in that stadium paid to see them. There were people who drove 200 or more miles and paid a couple hundred dollars so their kids could see Manny play and the idiot ump loses his cool. Pisses me off every time I see it. If I were there, I would tell that blue in no uncertain terms what I thought of him. Heat of the moment moron. Give him that, tell him that, and walk away. If he comes after you after that, thumb him.

Howz that Mark.

I still keep Loney unless Gonzalez makes it clear he wants out of San Diego. And if he does, teams will be lining up – and there will be a bunch of them because he is affordable. Loney can hit 20, bat .300 and knock in close to 100. He is Gold Glove caliber around the bag and that is good enough for me. Get the rest of the power from 3rd and your corner outfielders. We were dominant early on with guys who got on base and hit in the clutch. We just need to do more of that and this team will be outstanding.

That’s one. Let’s get a few more in a row and make believers out of the rest of the division. Put this thing away.

22. GoNzO says:

Wishful thinking mover, but how can you justify giving a mlb job to Lorreta and Ausmus? Ausmus will be a ML manager someday and you of all people know that these guys have to pay their dues before sniffing the bigs i.e Scioscia. As for Duncan, give the keys to the kingdom and let Honeysucks wash his uni. We should have hired Jaramillo form Texas when his contract was up a couple years ago. Good coaching costs big $$$$. I’ve said all along that Joe is not that good of a “baseball” manager, he’s a great ego and attitude manager but that can only take you so far.
    I don’t even know if Mattingly is the answer when Joe retires. Give me someone like Ozzie, Bobby Cox etc.. who isn’t afraid of these spoiled millionaires.

As for Hanley, he is one of the best players in the bigs but he hasn’t done “Sh*t” yet besides personal accolades to warrant the title of a game changer to me. Also, I think that in the near future he will be shifted to 3B since he sucks at SS. You heard it here first.

23. Mark Timmons says:

Mr. Mike,

Using that same rationale, Tony LaRussa’s .199 career batting average gives him no credability, and there’s no way he could be a success as a manager!

24. Mark Timmons says:

Gonzo,

I don’t know about Ausmus, he might get a MLB job right away. He’s that smart!

Several hitting coaches have transitioned from retirement to coaching in the majors – Terry Pendleton comes to mind. He retired in 1998 and got his first coaching job as the Braves Hitting Instructor in 2001, hired by Bobby Cox.

Loretta? He’ll probably have to go to the minors, but it depends upon the situation.

Ramirez’ defense? Not as good as Raffy, but I don’t see him going to 3B for a few years, unless the Marlins trade for a SS, because they don’t have a good one on the horizon.

25. Mark Timmons says: