Spiderman Attacks

Spiderman Attacks
  •  The ball looked like it was gone, but suddenly Spiderman aka/Andre Ethier, shot out his net, scaled the wall and brought it back into the
    The Real Spiderman

The Real Spiderman

park, all this after walking to deliver the winning run for the Dodgers.  It was the Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp show.  Get used to it.

• After a rough start, Padilla looked pretty good, hitting 97 MPH on the stadium gun (Gameday had him at 94, which is what I believe).
  • Repko, Elbert and Ellis were recalled.  I wonder why they kept Repko over Hoffman – there has to be some reason – Repko is out of options and Hoffman wasn’t.  Travis Schlichting was moved to the 60-day DL to make room for Garland.  If that looks fishy to you, it’s not.  He’s been in Arizona for a couple of weeks getting treatment for a back problem that has bothered him all year.  He hasn’t pitched in AAA for a while.
  • It looks like Kuroda will be back Sunday.
  • Cole Hamels pitched a 1-0 shutout last night and now has three good starts in a row under his belt.  Il we want to win this thing, HoneyBunchesOfOats needs to get Billingasley “FIXED” like now!  Get it done TONIGHT!
  • Garland pitches against his old team Thursday.  How wierd is that?
  • Kensai at Memories of Kevin Malone rates the Dodgers top prospects.
  • Did you see Russell Martin flying around the bases and sliding into home?  He was flat-out moving.
  • Keep Repko in RF and away from our SS.

Minor League Recap – 9/01/09 by Jared of http://thinkbluela.blogspot.com/
Albuquerque lost 12-7

Chin Lung Hu – 1 for 4, 2 K’s (.295 BA)
Blake DeWitt – 2 for 5, RBI, R, K (.258 BA)
Xavier Paul – 0 for 1 (.340 BA)

Chattanooga won 2-0

Trayvon Robinson – 1 for 4, RBI, K, OF Assist (.244 BA)
Andrew Lambo -2 for 3, R, SB (.258 BA)
Lucas May – 1 for 2, BB, K (.303 BA)

Chris Withrow – 5 IP, 2 Hits, 0 R, 3 BB, 8 K’s (3.95 ERA)

Inland Empire lost 7-5

Scott Van Slyke – 3 for 5, 2 RBI, R, K (.296 BA)
Preston Mattingly – 0 for 4, RBI, 2 K’s (.233 BA)

Hiroki Kuroda – 5 IP, 5 Hits, R (0 ER), BB, 5 K’s (3.29 ERA)
Tim Sexton – 4 IP, 7 Hits, 6 ER, 2 BB, 5 K’s (3.76 ERA)

Great Lakes did not play
Ogden won 6-5

BCG – 0 for 6 (.326 BA)
Mario Songco – 1 for 6, R, 2 K’s (.333 BA)
Clay Calfee – 3 for 6, 2B, HR (2), 2 RBI, R, K (.375 BA)
JT Wise – 2 for 6, 2B, R, K (.305 BA)
Nick Akins – 2 for 4, 2B, HR (3), 2 RBI, 2 R, 2 BB (.267 BA)

Brett Wallach – 3.2 IP, 3 Hits, ER, BB, 7 K’s (4.50 ERA)
Javier Solano – 3 IP, 3 Hits, ER, 2 BB, K (3.99 ERA)

Player of the day – Chris Withrow, RHP

This was Withrow’s most impressive Double A outing yet. The precocious 20 year old has actually lowered his ERA while pitching against competition that averages 4 years older than him. Chris’ biggest problem is his control, but not against righties; he’s only surrendered a total of 17 in over 50 innings against them. Once he can improve his command against lefties, Withrow will be ready for the big leagues.

30 Responses to “Spiderman Attacks”

We are making a habit of winning ugly. Ethiers grab was CLUTCH! Most guys would have played it off the wall. I hope there is more where that came from.

We need this offense to get started. I would have hoped against “lesser” teams we would explode, yet it isn’t happening. Manny still doesn’t look right although he is going the other way more. That is good. Other than that we can not live on solo homeruns.

As for Chad Penny…err Billingsley. I bet you he goes 6 innings tonight, 8Ks 5BB, 3 ER. Gets a no decision and has a look on his face like he is scared to death. For me, he is fighting for a spot in the playoff rotation.He needs to up his game. It is not Rick Honeycutt-cheerios job to pull Chad’s head out every 5th day. He is not a “kid” anymore. He is an All Star, he has playoff experience,practically a veteran & he needs to start acting like it.

Bill I think you and I agree on more than you might suspect. We got divided by my take on Blake (who is down to .269 by the way, closer to his career numbers that I predicted). I was wrong about La Roche. I really thought he would do better once given a full time job. Oh, well. Wait til next year.

The teams out west have always put the emphasis on beating L.A.. I suppose all the teams do, but I have lived in both the Bay Area and now in Arizona and I can tell you no games are more important than those against the hated Dodgers. The Pads, the gints and the reptiles that live under rocks all want nothing more than to be spoilers. If they can’t have it, anyone but the Dodgers.

So I think we can expect these teams to come out the next few weeks and force the Dodgers to earn it. None of these guys are going to roll over for the Dodges. This is THAT important to their season.

I think most of us believe that we are the best team in the N.L. only if Manny is hot. Yeah, we can compete with anyone with our pitching, but if Manny is thumping, I believe nobody can beat us. This whole offense feeds off his energy.

I sure would like to see this offense do now what they did earlier. Will they? Stay tuned I guess.

3. Ty says:

I say put Repko in CF so he can take out Furcal. It’s not like Raffy is a big piece of our offense.

What happened to Repko? He came up and really showed that he can play in this league. He could really run, has some pop, has range in the OF and has a gun. He was showing some improvement with the bat before his injuries. Maybe that’s why management soured on him. He was always hurt.

Ty, I absolutely agree with you about Repko. I think the guy is a real player and will be damn good when he gets his shot….somewhere else. I think he has a better arm than Kemp and Ethier (And they are outstanding) Just like Cody Ross and Jason Werth & Shane Victorino he will be a good one but the numbers don’t work here, would you sit Kemp or Ethier? We have Pierre on the bench, do we need another outfielder on the pine? Tough breaks but it is a numbers game sometimes.

Travis Schlichting was just named to go to the AFL less than a week ago. There is something fishy even if it is just the inability of the Drs and trainers to properly evaluate the Dodger players.

6. lawdog says:

I think we picked up Garland because Joe likes veterans, even those who historically put up mediocre stats. He doesn’t like giving a rookie a real chance because doing so means taking a chance on a game or two. To me that’s puzzling since he doesn’t mind filling the roster with 3 or 4 second stringers any given night to rest the regulars.

Anyway, it’s bad luck for Haeger. One bad outing when he couldn’t get through the 3rd inning because he was “rushing” the flutterball and couldn’t get it over in the 3rd after looking like his old reliable self in the first 2 innings is bad luck, not just for Charlie, but for the whole team. You can’t evaluate his talent unless you watch him play. One bad inning after 2 outstanding starts doesn’t tell you much when “rushing” the knuckler is probably the result of too much adrenaline when you know one bad pitch could mean your chance to get another start would be ripped from you by a manager who really doesn’t want you to succeed in the first place.

Abreu is going to make us payh for not giving him a real chance. What did he get, one start when he was up for his cup of coffee this year? One start a couple of PIs doesn’t tell you squat. He will prove himself for Arizona in the spring next year and then come back and kick our collective asses–just like Jason Werth. Wouldn’t you like to have him to play left field and have the money we’re paying Manny available to go get an ace. A real ace for the rotation?

We give up on young talent too fast. Too many “prospects” we’re willing to give up for a mediocre rental turn out to be stars in the league a year or two after we give up on them without giving them a real looksee.

7. lawdog says:

PI=PH

8. lawdog says:

The reason I say Haeger’s sudden overthrowing of the dancer was caused by adrenaline which in turn was caused by knowing one bad inning could mean the end of an outstanding first chance with a difficult pitch is rooted in the fact that Charlie was aces all year at AAA with that pitch. If he’s comfortable throwing it–it’s unhittable. Raise a rookie’s stress level and he’s bound to have a bad inning. He deserved another chance and we’ll probably pay for it when he gets cut and ends up being a quality #2 or #3 for one of our competitors who’ll give him a chance.

Joe’s unwillingness to take a chance on a rookie becuase he doesn’t want to jeopardize even one game to the chance of failure flies in the face of his willingness to routinely start 3-4 2nd stringers any given night (or day) to rest the regulars–when putting that many second rate bats in the line up at one time means we’ll only win if we get lucky.

Agree with you ldawg about Abreu and Haeger. One bad innning out of 16? Come on, even Tom Seaver had a bad inning now and then. You are going to see more than one out of Garland, I guarantee that.

Abreu is ready. They can use him in Arizona. I get to see that team a lot down here and he is a perfect fit for them. They have a number of scrappy young players just like him. They aren’t intimidated and they all make contact. This could be a good team in the coming years.

I still don’t know why we didn’t keep Werth. He too had some injury issues, but once over them, he proved to be valuable. He and Victorino anchoring the World Champion’s outfield gives one pause.

And why Repko is still around here is another mystery. If he had gone to a place like K.C. he would possibly be an everyday player but at worst a 4th. We won’t use him, cut him and let him land someplace that needs speed and an arm in the outfield.

Watching Manny last night was painful for me. He is really dipping his back shoulder and behind and under most pitches. Plus, he is chasing balls out of the zone. I think he is pressing. It’s not easy to say this about a guy like Manny, but he needs to shorten his swing and be more selective. Get back to hitting strikes for line drives instead of going for the fences with each cut on pitches 6″ out of the strike zone. I doubt he would listen to that advice. He is Manny. Everything he does now is gravy.

And Loney. That at bat where he swung at a 3-0 pitch and popped it up was just ridiculous. They were pitching around him and that pitch was meant to be 4″ outside, the pitcher just missed his location. Dumb at bat by James. Take the damn walk, let Padilla bunt and then Furcal comes up with a runner in scoring position. He basically ended the scoring chance with that one swing. And Loney is looping his swing. Shorten up James. Line drives to the gaps.

That’s it from my coaching couch.

10. lawdog says:

That swing at a 3-0 pitch by Loney m ay ot have been as silly as you think. Did you see where it was located? The pitcher screwed up and even though he was walking Loney–he missed and threw an 80 mph straight fatball right down broadway. He just missed it which is too bad. He should have hit that one all the way to Pasadena. The D Back broadcasters were talking about how big a break it was for their team that Loney failed to hit such a huge mistake.

If you can’t hit a mistake like that one you can’t hit anything on a reliable basis. Loney needs someone to completely diagnose waht he’s doing wrong–it can’t be just the few things we coach coaches pick up and broadcast to each other. I will say Loney band Manny appear to have a similar problem and it appears to be with a swing longer than normal for them. Is he still stepping in the bucket? I wasn’t watching him that closely last night. If he plays tonight I’ll watch more closely–but expect to see Jim Thome start at first tonight.

11. Mark Timmons says:

They say Thome can’t play in the field. I have been told that it’s not an option.

Dodgers Best Outfield Arms:

1. Xavier Paul (by far)
    2. Matt Kemp
    3. Jason Repko
    4. Andre Ethier

Lawdog,

I think we do give up n young prospects too early I am still angry about Joe Thurston not getting a shot!!! :)

You are right though, Look around the league right now and you can pick many players (former prospects) that we would like to have back. Ted Lily, Werth, Victorino, Cody Ross, Edwin Jackson, & we that is just todays game we can all go back to Roberto Clemente, etc, etc.

But the point is you can’t keep them all. Sometimes you have to make room for the next young kid so he can flourish and you don’t need 5 outfileders, 6 infielders, whatever the case may be. Go back to Billy Buckner he was great we could have been better off keeping him but then we wouldn’t have seen Garvey or possibly Guerrero. There is always a reason and it is not ALWAYS a bad one.

Charlie Knuckles will get his shot. He has shown he belongs and my money he is penciled in at #4-5 next season.

Badger
    did you see Loneys single the other way last night? He did shorten up and just went with it. I think James is going to come around soon.

Mark
    Thome will not play 1B. You are right. Bowa said last night Thome has had back issues and that is the main reason he is a DH now. He will be an emergency 1B. Remeber we are getting
    Meint(alphabet soup)kavich back soon so Thome will be a 4th 5th option there anyway. I can see Joe hitting for Loney (if he is struggling still) and having Dougie M. come out to play in the field for the 9th.

14. lawdog says:

The night he was traded Thome made one of the ten plays of the day with a diving catch of a ball smashed into the outfield. It’s first base he said he can’t play regularly. But I’ll bet we seem him start tonight since it’s his first game for the club and Loney needs to work on his stroke.. I can’t see Ethier or Manny sitting so I expect it will be Loney–for the first 3 abs anyway. He’s got to be the number one PH despite his lack of a track record doing that.

Ldawg, I think they were pitching around Loney and he knew it. He looked somewhat surprised by that 3-0 pitch and that is why he should have laid off it – in my opinion. Take the walk, get the pitcher to bunt and have a chance for a run. He was way off that pitch. Pop up a grooved 80 mph fastball? Even I could hit a line drive with that pitch. He wasn’t ready and should have just let it go.

Yeah Romey, I did see that single to left. Good point. Maybe Loney realizes he needs to start hitting line drives wherever it is pitched.

I think Thome is a PH until the Series, then he is a DH. How many at bats do you think he will get between now and the World Series? I am guessing maybe 20. Since he hits a home run every 14 at bats against RHers, I say he gets two.

I am not counting on much from Mintcaveitch. He can’t even throw, he has been gone all year, how game ready can he be?

16. lawdog says:

Minkafinkaallthatrich should just be cut and invited back next spring.

So Garate goes to the Nats and now there is room for one of the old men to come off of the 60-day DL. Ohman versus Eyechart?? I do not want either.

Call up Lindblom to the 40 man.

19. Mark Timmons says:

I thought that Garate had a chance to be a nice middle reliever. He really looked good last year. His stats are good this year, but he’s wild…

20. Mark Timmons says:

Bad Penny’s Line against the Phillies today:

8 IP
    5 H
    1 BB
    0 Runs

Go Figure!

Don’t worry, Penny will blow up.

I keep waiting for Furcal to start his hot month of lead-off juju and what happens? – he stands there twice and looks at strike three. Geez, man, take a hack.

Ramirez continues to get beat by fastballs. He ain’t right. Could it be his testosterone levels aren’t at a $25,000,000 level?

Bills gets tagged. I felt it coming. Sherzer has some good stuff – hit 97 a couple of times and he has what our 97 mph guy doesn’t have – a change up he can throw for strikes.

Man, watching our offense lately is like wathcing paint dry.

23. Mark Timmons says:

Billingsley’s problems are obviously mental…

He isn’t getting much help from his teammates either.

Sometimes this Dodger team looks drugged.

OK offense. Remember, this is the Dbacks and they suck. They are used to losing so, anytime.

You guys ever heard of the bat glove? You will. It is the answer to the problem with maple bats.

Give one of those to Manny. And make it 2 oz’s lighter than the bat he is using now.

Number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6,number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6,number 6, number 6, Bills has a mental block regarding number 6. He can not get past the 6th inning any more. He can not pitch for more than his number 58 plus 7 times 6 minutes (=100). He can not give up less than 6 hits in a game. He gives up home runs to the number 6 hitter in the lineup. The Dbacks had 6 fly balls and 6 ground outs today against Bills. Sounds like a mental block that only the Beatles can solve.

Bills is now clearly the #5 starting pitching on the Dodgers. If Garland pitches well tommorrow then Bills will be Number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6,number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, number 6, …..

Ace Meter update

Wolf 3.07
    Kershaw 3.28
    Kuroda 3.44
    Padilla 3.48
    Bills 3.60
    Garland ????

28. LADODGERDAVE says:

so i decided to watch my tivo’d hard knocks due to the horrible performace we are putting on tonight….

wouldnt you know it though, i said “what the heck, maybe there is a chance we have mounted a comeback”…..so i dial in the channel, press enter…..

and sure enough, perfect timing! i turn right as the announcers say……

“LONEY HITS A SLOW ROLLER TO SECOND, EASY OUT”

give me a break, im taking a 3 game dodger time-out, i cant take this anymore…..see you guys Sunday! hopefully we havnt fell behind the rockies and giants!

Scherzer is pitching like an ace. Of course, the Dogs are making it easy on him.

I just don’t know what to make of Billingsley. He does have mental issues.

Both teams chasing us won today. This is September. Whoever owns this month wins the play-off prize. Anytime now Dogs.

OK, two more innings of this. I wonder if I can stay awake.

shut Chad Penny…err. Billingsley down. he should be laying down on a couch somewhere. If he can’t face the Dbacks he sure as hell can’t handle the Phillies or Cards. Chad if you are scared get a dog and quit! Should have had Charlie Knuckles up in the 5th.

With our offense tanking and our bats stone cold this is not a pretty team to watch!