It’s Time For Joe To Open A Can…

It’s Time For Joe To Open A Can…

and I don’t mean that Joe needs to pop a cold one after the game.  THESE GUYS NEED THEIR BUTTS KICKED!  Figuratively!  If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Big Pappy, I need more Juice!

Big Pappy, I need more Juice!

You can put a lot of this offensive malaise on Manny, but not all of it.  If I were Joe, I’d start this lineup tonight:

1. Perrre  LF
  2. Repko  CF
  3. Hudson  2B
  4. Thome 1B (Don’t worry if you can’t bend over)
  5. Loretta  3B
  6. Mientkiewicz  RF  (I don’t care if you can’t throw, run it back in)
  7. Castro  SS
  8. Ellis  C

I GUARANTEE THAT THIS LINEUP COULD SCORE 2 OR 3 RUNS.   I would run them out there for 2 or 3 days and tell our pretty boys to go home.  Say what you want, these guys need their collective butts kicked!  Disgraceful, is what it is!  Give those uniforms back, you can’t be impersonating Dodgers!   The Big Dodger in the Sky is Mad and Will Send Down Fire to Devour You!   Wait!  He just did!  SEE!  It’s your fault California is/was burning!  Did I mention you were pathetic?

Today, Seth Godin writes:

Perhaps the worst outcome most people can imagine when a project stutters is having to go, “all the way back to square one.”

Apparently, square one is an unhappy place, and far away, too.

Hey, if you’re lost, if you’ve gone down the wrong road, it doesn’t make sense to speed up and keep racing down the wrong road. Instead, the smart thing is to go back to the last spot you were in where you had a chance to find the right road and start from there.

Square one: nicer than people expect.

It’s time for the Dodgers to go back to square one.  In case you haven’t figured it out, I like Seth Godin.  I subscribe to his blog every day.  It’s short, sweet and always inspires you to think deeply (hard for me).  Helene Elliott of the LA Times writes that “Joe Torre is keeping the Dodgers’ tension level low.”  That’s a good thing?  These guys are men.  It is what it is – their hitting stinks!  They suck with RISP!  They are choke artists in the clutch!    Call it like it is, Joe!  PREACH IT, BROTHER!

RANTS & RAVES

• Randy Wolf goes for career win #100 today.
  • I think Ned is trying to Clone Ronnie Belliard, so he can start him at all 8 positions!
  • Kershaw had a “bad” game and gave up 2 runs.  ERA 2.89.
  • Chris Withrow was named #8 on BA’s Prospect Hot List:
  • Team: Double-A Chattanooga (Southern)
    Age: 20
    Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 8 SO
    The Scoop: After missing almost all of 2008 with elbow problems, just getting through a full season healthy would’ve been a step in the right direction for Withrow. He’s done more than that, reaching Double-A at only 20 years old. He struck out 105 in 86 innings at high Class A Inland Empire before being promoted to Chattanooga at the end of July. He’s gone 2-2, 3.95 in 27 innings since. Tuesday’s start in Jacksonville was Withrow’s best since reaching Double-A. Other than giving up a double to the opposing pitcher, Elih Villanueva, Withrow was nearly flawless for five innings, and his eight strikeouts were the most of his six Double-A starts

Minor League Recap – 9/04/09 by Jared of http://thinkbluela.blogspot.com/
Albuquerque won 5-1

Xavier Paul – 0 for 4, R, BB, K (.336 BA)
Tony Abreu – 3 for 5, 2B, HR (11), 2 RBI, 2 R, K (.356 BA)
Blake DeWitt – 0 for 5, K (.253 BA)

Chattanooga lost 7-2

Andrew Lambo – 1 for 4, K (.256 BA)
Trayvon Robinson – 0 for 1 (.239 BA)

Inland Empire won 6-5

Scott Van Slyke – 0 for 3, R, BB (.294 BA)
Preston Mattingly – 0 for 4, K (.227 BA)

Great Lakes lost 1-0

Dee Gordon – 0 for 4, 2 K’s, SB (.300 BA)
Kyle Russell – 0 for 4, 4 K’s (.271 BA)
Alfredo Silverio – 1 for 4, 2 K’s, CS (.278 BA)
Jerry Sands – 1 for 3, K (.229 BA)

Geison Aguasviva – 2 IP, Hit, R (0 ER), BB, 2 K’s (1.58 ERA)

Ogden lost 5-4

BCG – 2 for 4, 2 HR (17), 2 RBI, 2 R, HBP (.326 BA)
Angelo Songco – 0 for 4 (.309 BA)
JT Wise – 2 for 4, 2B (.333 BA)
Nick Akins – 1 for 4, R (.259 BA)
Tae Hyeok-Nam – 1 for 4, RBI, R, 3 K’s (.250 BA)

Player of the day – Brian Cavazos-Galvez, OF

It figures that, on the day BA.com releases an article about him, BCG come up with a multi-homer game. That gives him 17 on the year, which is tops in the Pioneer league. The lack of walks still concerns me, but you can’t ignore these numbers.

34 Responses to “It’s Time For Joe To Open A Can…”

I thought Abreu was the PTBNL?

We left a collective 22 on base last night.

Sand Iego did their part – 5 for 29 scoring only 2. You can’t beat a last place club when you hold them to 2 runs?

What more can be said. Loney sucked. Top of the order blew chunks again. RISP has aleady been mentioned. Last 5 games? 2-3 against the worst in our division.

I wonder what Thome might be thinking right now.

Anytime offense.

2. lawdog says:

Abreu and Gordon are still swinging their bats in our farm system. Who was that player to be named that we paid for the Garland rental–who incidentally looked a lot better than expected. He must have control problems periodically because there is nothing wrong with his “stuff”.

3. Blue Haze says:

I wasn’t referring to anyone as being stupid, I was pointing out how negativity can turn literally anything into a bad situation, even a stupid-ass, friendly bet can go really bad. Badger, I am positive that you need to deal with an inability to actually grasp a post. However, I do know what you are about and I am really not that surprised. So try and twist my words or intents all you want, what I said is what I said, not what you rationalize it to be. I am not trying to start a war, in fact, I didn’t remember who had made the bet, so I wasn’t going after anyone in particular, I was making a point about the subject of negativity and what it produces. The LaRoache/Blake was just an example of how a simple thing, when approached in a petty, negative way usually self-destructs. Sorry it bruised your ego, Badger, but really I didn’t even remember who where the combatants in that “friendly” bet. Yikes, better put some band-aids on that sensitive skin.

“I am stuck on Band-aids because band-aids stuck on me” — 80′s Band Aid commercial

Welcome back OD.

I don’t think it was a “supid ass bet”. That’s your opinion. I thought it was interesting. I lost, and I did 100 push-ups. No biggie. I think Bill and I worked it out ok.

We are not going to agree on all things at all times. I accept criticism and don’t expect to be agreed with all the time. But, I do take exception to someone referring to my inability to “grasp” and calling me stupid.

But then, I know what you are about too.

5. Illini Dodger says:

Your suggested line up is exactly what I was thinking last night. Bench ‘em all. This is positively the bottom of the barrel for the offense.

6. SpokaneBob says:

It seemed that early in the year our guys were praised for being selective and working deep into counts. Now it seems like we take pitches down the pipe and everyone is hitting 0-2.

This too shall pass.

7. Blue Haze says:

Whatever Badger (welcome back a-hole), spin, spin, spin. The world just doesn’t revolve around you. If you act stupid, you are going to be called on it. I actually think you do grasp posts, you just spin them into a totally wrong direction, to fit your opinion, that shat don’t fly with me. Don’t spin and manipulate, it may work with your wife, but it don’t work with me. Again you act stupid, you are going to be called on it!

Mark, you are right, it is time for Torre to take some drastic steps and shake some sense into these guys. Pierre just absolutely has to get into the lineup, no doubt.

8. Mark Timmons says:

If Abreu was the PTBNL, he probably didn’t clear waivers and will have to wait until after the season.

I am positive that all the positive vibes in here yesterday had a negative result. Kershaw looked horriable in the beginning but only gave up 2 runs to San Diego’s team of advancing triple A students excluding Gonzalez. (which didn’t do anything). A pitcher with a 10.00 era shut out the dogs. Why is every pitcher facing the Dodgers look like the Ace of the staff? Why do players coming over from other teams still hit the ball for awhile? By next week, Thome and Belliard will both be fluttering around in the batters box also. The Dodgers appear to be going no where in a hurry. Not sure if that’s a yogium but if it’s not it should be. Like I said last night, this team feels like the Dodger team from last year before the arrival of Blake and Manny. Blake and Manny have fit in well in 12 months time.

Well I got my negativity out and at least I feel better. Now if only I could figure out a cure for the Dodgers. “Take two shots of Tequila and go to bed early” would be my advice.

• Kay in L.A. says:

Enjoyed your post, Bill.
      Yep, it won’t be long before they put impersonators in Thome’s and Belliard’s uniforms.
      In the meantime, they must feel like they’re in the twilight zone.
      Or would that be ‘toilet zone.’

S-Bob’s observation sounds correct to me. It seems like we are always hitting 0-2 and I’m saying to myself, what is he waiting for?

Will the Dodgers be Latos intolerant tonight?
    Will they exist once again in “Choke City”? See Last night’s song.

I am so glad that the Dodger announcers are becoming truth tellers (This means they have become highly negative toward the Dodger players in the minds of some)

Mark – I have recommended your type of lineup before. It is exactly the type of managing that should be done when dealing with prima donnas who refuse or are unable to listen to coaching.

In contradiction to my many posts regarding the inability level of this Dodger coaching staff, during the off season I will judge who is at fault, players or coaches, by the behavior of Bowa. In my opinion what he says and what he does will tell the truth about this team. I would not be surprised if he quits and writes a tell all short story about the complete prima donna attitudes of the young Dodgers, especially the over hyped Jacksonville 5, who either lack the mental ability to remember anything that they are told, or just think that they are better than everyone and that their sh.. does not stink. If Bowa believes that the coaches are the problem then he will probably say very litte. If he thinks that the players are the problem I predict that he says a lot this offseason. If the players are the problem and the coaches are made out to be the scapegoats then I expect Bowa to write a tell all book.

It is time for Torre to take off his fake kid gloves, to stop running from his abusive childhood, and to properly Monitor and Enable. Sometimes the proper method of Enabling is to bench a player so that he does not continue to reinforce bad mechanics. People say that it takes 14 days to creeate a new habit. Well if it takes that long to create new habits in these Dodger players then so be it bench them for 2 weeks or more until they exhibit new mechanics. Screw the pennant race, teach the players and the fans some life leasons that cerain behavior will not be tolerated and everyone will be better off in the long run and in their life.

It appears to me that the Dodger hitters are content to swing with the same timing every night no matter the speed of the pitches that night. If the morons can not adjust their timing to the speed of a pitcher’s fastball then move up in the batters box against the slower pitchers and recreate an environment where the timing is the same. It does not take a brain surgeon to figure out how to readapt to your envornment.

Ken is correct. The Jackson 5 should know that what they’ve done in the past is the past. What have you done for us lately?
    I agree that Steve Lyons tells it like it is. He doesn’t sugar coat the events of the night for the positive thinking Dog fans. I have heard a few in here that don’t like Steve because he’s brutally honest but I’m a fan of his and appreciate his honesty. No one wants to hear how great the SD pitcher was last night or that he pitched the game of his life. Bowa may or may not write a book, I’m leaning towards not but he’s an unfiltered Steve Lyons with no OFF button. If you want to know what’s going on with the team, he’s the guy who knows and will probably tell you.

13. LADODGERDAVE says:

we need to bench everyone, todays line-up should be…

Mark
    Bill Russell
    Badger
    LAdodgerdave
    shot of haeger
    ken
    blue haze
    spokane bob
    lawdog

I GAURANTEE AT LEAST 1 RUN!!!!!

kay in LA on the mound…..

I’d bat Haze 9th.

The Pods would be the team on which to let loose the jr. varsity. A benching of the regulars couldn’t hurt. What will the irregulars do, score less than 0?

In the mean time, it’s football season so on Saturday, there is something on which to fall back.

15. Kay in L.A. says:

Dodger Dave, you got it!!
    I feel sorry for the Padres now…;-)

So Mark, tell us how you REALLY feel, don’t hold back, etc.

Last night was a Tragedy. I think fans should ask for their money back, big time.

Pioneer League BCG is always the player of the day; watch the Dodgers ruin him somehow or lose him to another team.

The only bright spot I can think of is Kuroda starting tomorrow. Hiroki-san is a HERO.

16. Kay in L.A. says:

As you guys know, I have also enjoyed Lyons’s commentary.

And… I mentioned a few weeks back I had flashbacks of Dodgers choking at this time of year in seasons past.

Last but not least, Torre has gotten on my last nerve with his mealy-mouth interviews and kumbaya approach to managing. Enjoy your retirement and your Bigelow. Dodgers need a Marines drill sergeant. NOW!!!

17. Blue Haze says:

I think Bowa has found his niche, he was a dismal failure when he managed, he always had a constant red ass and it wore on his players. He is much better suited to be an “assistant manager”. As far as Gibson, I love the guy but I am really not sure what he brings to a team besides an attitude (not too sure how much of an attitude he actually has as a coach rather than a player, however).

Torre is so calm, it is getting a little alarming. I want to see him contest a few calls and get his ass thrown out of a game, just to prove to his players that he has a pulse. As Mark stated, Torre needs to make a move and rest numerous players, with that rest being permanent if the team starts to respond to the threat of lost playing time, I don’t think he has the guts to do that however.

• Ken says:

I said for one year. Bowa has proved that he can coach for one year before his player turn on him. 2001 Manager of the Year for the Phillies.

18. mark says:

Leadoff?

That’s Right!

Put your speed at the top.

… although right now you can time me with a sundial

19. Blue Haze says:

I think one month might be the max before his players turn on him.

The older he gets the more red ass he becomes.

20. Mr.Mike says:

Joe reminds me of that stiff in “Weekend at Bernies.” No matter what the players say, they’re gripping. To cut through all that tension the team needs to have a group rolling on the floor laugh[tenfold]. All Joe needs to do is close the clubhouse before the game and do a pregame peptalk in all his glory just wearing his diaper. P.S. Bowa would be like Mo, cracking the stooges heads. Good things happen to happy people :}

21. GoNzO says:

What up haze, how was your hunting trip. We didn’t get any thunder or wind until right now. how many doves did you eat?

Badger, I have a question for you posted on the world xing.

22. Ty says:

I hear ya Mark. They need their heads pulled outta their asses.

I can’t believe I’m going to say this but the offense is the thing that I’m concerned about. We’ve been talking about a lack of ace for so long now but it’s the lack of offense that might be this teams downfall.

23. Illini Dodger says:

Combined RISP last 2 games — 1 for 20. Padres today 2 for 4. Who’s in 1st place?

24. Illini Dodger says:

James Loney is BARISP hero! 1.000!!!

Abreu the PTBNL?? The plot thickens.

The wimps at AZ could have Goggled Abreu and found out that was an issue that may not have been resolved.

I remember when that was going on.

Seems to me that management on the Dbacks side should have known this information. It wasn’t a secret.

They got snookered and now they are pissed. Do your homework morons.

3 – 15 RISP. A win but still not clutch team hitting.

Will Weaver ever pitch again??

I would have manned up and got thrown out over that clearly foul ball hit by Pierre. Mrs. Torre must wear the pants and carry the wallet in that family.

Wolf is clearly the ACE!!!