I’m Positive It’s Negative

I’m Positive It’s Negative
 “All the evidence I’ve seen shows that positive thinking and confidence improves performance. In anything.Give someone an easy math problem, watch them get it right and then they’ll do better on the ensuing standardized test than someone who just
Seth Godin - A Wierd-Looking Smart Guy!
Seth Godin – A Weird-Looking Smart Guy!

failed a difficult practice test.

No, positive thinking doesn’t allow you to do anything, but it’s been shown over and over again that it improves performance over negative thinking.

Key question then: why do smart people engage in negative thinking? Are they actually stupid?

The reason, I think, is that negative thinking feels good. In its own way, we believe that negative thinking works. Negative thinking feels realistic, or soothes our pain, or eases our embarrassment. Negative thinking protects us and lowers expectations.

In many ways, negative thinking is a lot more fun than positive thinking. So we do it.

If positive thinking was easy, we’d do it all the time. Compounding this difficulty is our belief that the easy thing (negative thinking) is actually appropriate, it actually works for us. The data is irrelevant. We’re the exception, so we say.

Positive thinking is hard. Worth it, though.” – Seth Godin’s Blog

Minor League Recap – 9/03/09  by Jared of http://thinkbluela.blogspot.com/
Albuquerque won 5-4

Xavier Paul – 0 for 3, BB, 2 K’s, OF Assist (.350 BA)
Blake DeWitt – 0 for 2, 2 R, BB, HBP (.257 BA)
Chin Lung Hu – 3 for 4, R (.296 BA)

Chattanooga lost 9-5

Trayvon Robinson – 1 for 4, 3B, 2 RBI, BB, 2 K’s (.244 BA)
Andrew Lambo – 0 for 4 (.256 BA)
Lucas May – 2 for 4, 2B, R, K, E (.306 BA)

Inland Empire lost 3-0

Scott Van Slyke – 0 for 2, 2 BB, K (.296 BA)
Steven Caseres – 0 for 2, BB, K (.261 BA)
Preston Mattingly – 0 for 3, K (.229 BA)

Kenley Jansen – 2 IP, 0 Hits, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K’s (4.22 ERA)

Great Lakes won 8-4

Dee Gordon – 1 for 5, R (.302 BA)
Kyle Russell – 0 for 3, RBI, BB (.273 BA)
Alfredo Silverio – 2 for 4, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R, BB, K (.278 BA)
Jerry Sands – 2 for 3, 2B, RBI, R, BB, K (.226 BA)

Roberto Feliciano – 1 IP, Hit, 0 R, 2 BB, K (0.00 ERA)
Cole St Clair – 1 IP, 2 Hits, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K’s (2.55 ERA)

Ogden lost 7-2

BCG – 1 for 4, K, SB (.324 BA)
Angelo Songco – 1 for 4, HR (9), RBI, R (.319 BA)
JT Wise – 2 for 3, 2B, RBI, K (.328 BA)
Nick Akins – 0 for 3, 2 K’s, HBP (.259 BA)

Garrett Gould – 1 IP, 0 Hits, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K’s (0.00 ERA)
Ji Mo Lee – 1 IP, Hit, 0 R, BB, 0 K’s (0.00 ERA)

Player of the day – Garrett Gould, RHP

Great to see Gould getting some action in before Instructional league. He’ll have at least one more chance to make an appearance, since Ogden won the division in the first half and thus qualified for the playoffs. This year’s 2nd rounder combines a low 90s fastball with a plus curve. He could end up being the best Dodgers’ prospect from this year’s class

37 Responses to “I’m Positive It’s Negative”

Is your comment contradictory to Newton’s Third Rule??? For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. When bloggers are negative the players should become more positive. When you are more positive the bloggers become more negative. Are you smarter than Sir Issac Newton? Are you smarter than Wayne Newton? Are you smarter than a Fig Newton? Is any of us smarter than a 5th grader?

2. Mark Timmons says:

I am smarter than Fig Newton!

Barely…

I went to Godin’s blog. Didn’t see a whole lot there frankly.

When in college studying Piaget’s developmental theories, I read the human mind creates 80% negative thought patterns. And why does this happen? Where does it come from? Look around. We are bombarded with negativity and fear tactics from sources foreign and domestic from the time we come into this world until the day we leave it. The unstated but obvious goal of those at the top of the pyramid is to keep us uncertain about who we really are, keep us questioning our abilities and our choices. If the populace remains afraid and needy, and we will clamor for improvement and protection. It’s everywhere you look. If we could turn that 80% just to 50%, think about the difference it would make in our world.

And we could talk about that for the next several months and not arrive at any common solutions. My approach – live in the moment.

And the moment is good this morning for the Dodgers. We split at home with the inferior dbacks, and now take on the worst team in the division. Looked to me that after the first couple of innings Garland remembered he knows these guys and knows how to get them out. Duh. I also noticed that his ERA at Chase Field is way over 5, and that is the reason his ERA for the year is over 4. He actually pitches much better on the road, which is basically where he will be for the rest of the year. Maybe we have found our ace – a guy that give us 7 innings sub 4 ERA every time out. Nobody else on this staff has been able to do it.

• Kay in L.A. says:

Vinny had a nice heartwarming story to tell about Garland, how he came to Dodger stadium as a kid and always wanted to play here. Vin speculated John must have had some butterflies the first couple of innings.

Oh yeah, one more thing.

The top of our lineup was 0 for 11.

That’s not very good is it.

I’ll take the easy route and think negative. If we don’t sweep the Padres we don’t deserve to advance in the postseason.

Wouldn’t it have been nice to get Thome an AB last night. Maybe in the 8th for anyone and then justify it by putting Repko in or Meintkeivich in defensivley? It didn’t hurt us but the dude needs to get some ABs to stay sharp also to be welcomed by the Dodger crowd!

• A Shot of Haeger says:

Why am I not surprised about this. It’s so easy to think negative when you personally have nothing at stake and no part in the outcome. If they win or they lose….your life goes on pretty much the same as it did before… if the dodgers screw up..people lose jobs…life-long dreams of playing in the majors get derailed…. that may not seem like much to us regular joes…. but the dreams of others and maybe having to give up what you love to do most in the world, whether your rich or poor have equal value.

It’s hard to think positive in the face of adversity, which is why I do it. Enjoy the frown….maybe you’ll be able to turn it around after we win the World Series!

Thome?

7. i believe that chad ..should not be the # 1 picture… i would put him in the bull pen.. he is lucky to get 5 innings..he could be are long guy..because he sucks now.really bad these last 5 games.

8. Kay in L.A. says:

I never stopped thinking positively about James Loney and look at him now!!

I thought negatively about Belliard, but he has been contributing. Now I will think more positively about him.

And so it goes…

9. Blue Haze says:

Who would have thought that my response about negative posting would draw so much interest? We definitely have some champion negative thinkers in here, I just don’t prefer to have negativity be a big part of my life. Anyone can be negative, it really takes no effort, few can be positive because it really does take some effort.

I was just thinking about the Blake vs. what’s his name debate and bet that was going on in here at the beginning of the season, it was amazing to see that innocent little thing become such a stupid pissing match. To me that illustrated how negativity took over with that harmless bet and became a royally stupid argument, when you focus on the negative all you get out of it is negativity. It should have been a positive argument on what the players were doing but instead got totally off-track.

“Stupid is as stupid does” — Forrest Gump

10. Mark Timmons says:

A little boy came home from school and said “Dad, I flunked the math test.” His father said “son, that’s negative – think positive!”

To which the son replied, “I’m positive I flunked that math test!”

It wasn’t the disagreement over the bet that was being referred to Haze. I believe it was in reference to how badly the team is looking these days.

Same father and son later in life:

Dad, I’m going to a party. Would you do my homework for me?

I’m sorry kid, but it just would be right.

Well, maybe not, Give it a try anyway.

12. Illini Dodger says:

BTW, I would accept 2-3 wins against the Padres and a World Series Title. Anyone else? Since when does “deserve” have anything to do with the WS??

At the risk of sounding “negative” I saw the game and Belliard got very lucky. He had broken bat dying duck single and a ground ball hit right at the shortstop with a drawn in infield. Yeah, lucky is a good thing, but driving the ball into the gaps is better.

The simple truth is, on July 7th we were 53-30. 23 games over .500.

Since then we are 27-25.

I think all of us would agree that is isn’t how you start, it’s how you finish. We still have a month left to get our mojo back. I would like to be the team that goes into the play-offs hot.

14. Illini Dodger says:

Dodger pitchers were outstanding again last night, and won the game for us. We had just enough offense to squeak by with the win. Good thing Belliard doesn’t read this blog. ;]

Manny finally connected with one of his many home run swing!!

Well I’m positive Haze just referred to Badger as Stupid and if he did that would be a negative thing to do. Since we won last night, I don’t have much to say. Does that make me a negative thinker? I’m positive that it does. Go Blue……….

16. Mark Timmons says:

Is that YOU read it?

;)

I prefer to think positive…….

I think you were pissing as much as I was Bill, so that makes us equally stupid in Haze’s eyes.

I am fairly positive about that.

But I say again, the negativity referred to wasn’t about a 100 push-up bet, that was paid by the way, it was about nobody posting when we win and only being willing to talk about how bad things are when we lose. Am I wrong about that?

And I am also fairly positive that playing .500 ball against sub .500 teams then going into the play-offs will result in a quick exit from said play-offs.

Philly and St. Louis look good right now. Maybe they will go into a funk in September. I doubt it. Whoever wins the Wild Card will have done so by playing well.

It is time to load up and start pounding the ball.

• Ken says:

“it was about nobody posting when we win and only being willing to talk about how bad things are when we lose. Am I wrong about that?

Badger is correct!!

Kay is profound!

19. Mark Timmons says:

… and I am Fig ‘er Wayne Newton!

I am positive that Badger is 100% correct in his last post. I think Mark is a wig’er not a fig’er concerning draft picks and other things. I am also positive that Kens statement about no one posting during positive vibes in Dodgertown referring to Hazes statement that the room is dead after a victory. I am positive that Kay in LA is an avid Dodger Fan and that this subject has run it’s course.

Man, this place is dripping with positive.

Too many positive ions is not a good thing. Medical research has found that inhaling too many positive ions can be harmful. When breathed into your lungs, or read off a blog, positive ions are taken into your bloodstream, or your consciousness, where they can trigger various harmful responses such as the release of excess serotonin and histamine.

Can’t have that.

So………….

why didn’t that idiot Ned pick up Pedro?

This Blog has remarkably turned into a Purple Cow

Here is a question for the negative thinking conspiratorialists.

How many more games will Hudson have to sit, from 8/30/09 through 10/6/09, in order for him to be the person who is deemed to have paid the salaries due from the Dodgers to Belliard and Padilla during their time on the Dodger roster during 2009 through the reduction of his incentive bonus based upon plate appearances 576 through 632?

He has already sat out of 2 games since 8/29/09.

Good question. Methinks you already know the answer to it.

Here is something else positive. I just checked the box, and the guy we are facing, the pitcher with the 7.42 ERA does not have a no-hitter going. So far we are 2 for 11 against him.

25. LADODGERDAVE says:

i didn’t realize peavy was back pitching tonight for the padres…

man, these aces we keep facing! are we ever going to catch a break?!?!?

im about to pull a Legarrette Blount on our offense…… i am POSITIVE our offense is beyond horrible right now….well actually for a LONG while now

Here’s a positive thought, We scored 4 runs last night against a pitcher with a 8.00 era, so tonight I am positive we can score 5 runs against a pitcher with a 10.00 era. I just don’t know when we will get it started. We have 0 through 4 innings.

27. Illini Dodger says:

0 for 8 so far with RISP. It’s heartbreaking against this punk pitcher.

Here’s a negative thought. This is what our offense looked like last year before Blake and Manny arrived.

29. Illini Dodger says:

0 for 9 now. I wonder what the record is for this kind of futility?

A you’ve been makin’ your brags around league
    That you’ve been a hittin’ my change
    But the pitch I throw, when you swing at my trash
    I put you in a garbage can
    And that’s what a you look like to me
    And what I see’s a pity
    Shorten your swing or stay outta my game
    If ya don’t wanna go to choke city
    If ya don’t wanna go to choke city

Ya better detour around my game
    ‘Cause I’ll throw one near the hair a the head
    And you’ll swing at one a the ground
    I’m not a sayin’ my fastball that fast
    N’ that you won’t hit a homer some day
    I’m here to tell ya hitter to lay offa my change
    If ya don’t wanna go to choke city

Come on and tell me what you told the press
    If you think you’re brave enough
    And I’ll show you what a real pitch is
    Since you think you’re hot stuff
    You’ll bite off more than you can chew
    If you get to cute or witty
    You better shorten your swing
    If you don’t wanna miss
    A pitch that’s called choke city
    If you don’t wanna go to choke city

Ya better detour around my game
    ‘Cause I’ll throw one near the hair a the head
    And you’ll swing at one a the ground
    I’m not a sayin’ my fastball that fast
    N’ that you won’t hit a homer some day
    I’m here to tell ya hitter to lay offa my pitch
    If ya don’t wanna go to choke city
    I’m here to tell ya hitter to lay offa my pitch
    If ya don’t wanna go to choke city

31. Illini Dodger says:

0 for 11. Any Little Leaguers in the stands we can activate!?

32. LADODGERDAVE says:

this is embarrassing..

33. Illini Dodger says:

Worst game of the year for our hitters. Pitching was great as usual. Something needs to be done. This slump is lasting way too long.