I Wish I Had Confidence In Broxton

I Wish I Had Confidence In Broxton

… but the fact is, I don’t.  I just don’t!  Yeah, I know all the stats, but the one that bothers me the most is 6.  6 Blown Saves.  That’s not what an elite closer does.  I hold my breath

Impersonating A Closer?

Impersonating A Closer?

everytime he enters the game.  I just don’t think he handles pressure well.  Just my opinion, but his 6 blown saves helps support what I say.  The last time I blasted Broxton, I was told we couldn’t count the blown saves he got as a setup man.  Well, I am counting these and 6 blown saves for someone who is purported to be the best closer in the NL is not good.    Maybe I was spoiled by “Game Over” Gagne, but Broxton’s blown saves concern me and I will continue to be nervous when he’s in the game.  Jeff Shaw used to get roasted by many of you for his blown saves, and I can’t believe he had too many more than Broxton.  Maybe someone can look that up (I’m too busy).

I wish I could be positive about Broxton, but I’m positive I’m not!

That’s all I got.  What an ugly loss!

31 Responses to “I Wish I Had Confidence In Broxton”

Broxton wasn’t great tonight but Furcal did him no favors. i just love hearing how GREAT this bullpen is. Then guys like Bellasario, Trancoso, & Broxton make me hold my breathe!

Maybe these guys are the real BOMB SQUAD?!

2. JSIMONN says:

UNLESS ANYBODY CAN NAME AN NL CLOSER HAVING A BETTER SEASON THEN OX IN 2009,I THINK U NEED TO SHUT UP ABOUT OX!-

3. JSIMONN says:

OX WAS BEST CLOSER IN MLB BEFORE ASG AND HIS SEPTEMBER ERA BEFORE YESTERDAY WAS 0!-0!!!!!-HOW BAD CAN HE REALLY BE?!-CAN SOMEBODY ENLIGHTEN ME PLEASE!!!!!

4. Mark Timmons says:

J Simonn,

Broxton is Third in the NL behind Heath Bell and Ryan Franklin in the Rolaids Relief Man Award, so I guess I just named two!

You are right that NL closers are not as domionant as AL closers.
    Rivera and Papelbon have 2 and 3 blown saves respectively.

I take it you are a big Broxton fan and I root for him too. It’s just that over the years I have seen him blow too many to have much confidence in him. The only way to shut me up is for him to PUT UP! He can do that in the playoffs, but if he fails, you know what I’m going to say.

Romo,

The only objection I have to Broxton is that he seems to have total meltdowns at times, especially when things don’t go right (bad plays like yesterday). Most of the time he is totally dominant as is our pen.

Brox needs to learn to weather adversity. I find it incredible that he could give up 4 runs in the 9th while facing only 6 batters and getting just one out! With the kind of stuff he has, that should never happen, even if Ethier and Furcal stunk-up the joint.

5. Harold says:

So what do we do? We seem to think our Dodger numbers are great: best BA, best ERA etc. and yet our starters can go only six innings, we don’t seem to hit well with RISP. Yet we continually talk about these stats and the most wins in the NL. Why then are Broxton’s stats not important? So what if he isn’t the best closer in the NL? At this point where do we pick up that best closer? I expect Hoffman(3) and Street(1) are the elite guys in the NL as all the rest with 30+ saves seem to have at least four blown saves, Bell 6, Lidge 11, Wilson 7, Rodriguez 6.

Yes, he melted down yesterday, and yes, he probably would have escaped with some help from Raffy and Ethier, but he is who we have and he ain’t bad. And yes, some of his earlier difficulties were linked to his toe issue. Yesterday he just wasn’t very good. I don’t know about you guys but my Mom told me there would be days like this.

While we are beating on Broxton, why not beat on the guys on our team who make low average pitchers on the Nats and Pirates look like aces. If they were buruning as we should be going into the post season, we wouldn’t need a closer in a number of these games.
    And where is Manny Ramirez? How comes he gets a pass?

GO DODGERS!!

6. Harold says:

I’m not sure how the Rolaids Relief Man works but Bell has 40 saves, 6 wins, 6 blown saves, 4 losses. Franklin 38 saves, 4 wins, 5 blown saves and 3 losses. Brox has 36 saves, 7 wins, 6 blown saves and 2 losses. I guess it is, “What have you done for me lately?”

Bell 46 – 10
    Franklin 43 – 8
    Brox 43 – 8

GO DODGERS!!

I am only a little concerned about Broxton. I think I am more concerned about the team in general. It’s like the sleepwalk at times.

Like I mentioned yesterday, I didn’t see the game, only read results on gameday and it suggested Broxton had his fastball ok, but no change of speed and the slider he used didn’t break much and two of them were hit for singles. He needs a two seamer and he needs a straight change. He also needs to pitch inside. He won’t learn to do that this year and it could bite him in the playoffs. Hitters can look for a certain pitch, 98 mph fastball or 8″ breaking 89 mph slider. It’s going to be one or the other and it most likely won’t be thrown on the black.

8. jsimonn says:

RYAN FRANKLIN?!-RYAN FRANKLIN?!-I THINK U GET MY POINT!

9. Mark Timmons says:

JS,

Are you talking about the Ryan Franklin who had and ERA of 0.00 in APRIL AND 0.00 IN JUNE AND 0.00 IN AUGUST?

You pointed out that Brox has an 0.00 ERA in September until yesterday, so you must think that makes him good.

WELL, FRANLKIN HAS HAD THREE, COUNT ‘EM 3 MONTHS WHERE HE HAS NOT ALLOWED A RUN!

Now, our saving grave may be that Franklin has a 7.56 ERA in September and has half his blown saves this month, but even after this horrible month, his ERA is a nice 1.95!

In the NL, we are as good as anyone, probably better in the closer departmnent, beacuse Lidge has impoloded and the Phils don’t have a real closer. The Cards have Franklin who is stumbling and the Rockie have Street, who (in my opinion) is not an elite closer.

Where we don’t stack up is against Boston and NY!

Mark,
    “Belisario has a 2.10 ERA, Troncoso has a 2.68 ERA, Kuo has a 2.86 ERA, Sherrill has a 0.70 ERA, and Broxton has a 2.68 ERA. There’s not a pen anywhere in baseball that comes close to that. Our worst guy (Mota) has a 3.32 ERA.”

Tell if letting inherited runners score effect your ERA? That is the point I’m trying to make. They make me nervous. Broxton has his moments but I would chalk yesterdays meltdown to the whole team. They all looked like crap.

11. Illini Dodger says:

I have no confidence in JBrox, either, Mark. After the 1st 2 hits, I told my family the Dodgers were going to lose the game. Brox is above-average. He is not elite. He will blow some saves. Let’s just hope he doesn’t blow any in the playoffs. He didn’t have good stuff yesterday, and the defense was also poor. This equals a surprising and disappointing loss.

Our clutch man, Kuroda is on the hill today. I think the Blue will bounce back big today, and hopefully, we’ll be so far ahead we won’t have to worry about the Brox debacle! Let the boys celebrate this afternoon!!

12. A Shot of Haeger says:

You were ruined by Gagne Mark. Broxton is not an elite closer. There is only one elite closer in the league and he pitches for the Yankees. To me someone who is elite is someone who has been great for a long time. That only leaves Rivera. Papelbon has been closing for three years, not long enough. Hoffman used to be elite, but age has caught up to him. He’s still great, but not as automatic as he used to be… We haven’t played well this week. That’s fact. The defense, which has been great all year, has struggled. Maybe we play to the level of our opponents… Of course, if that is true…. we’re going to win the World Series… because in about a week, we’re going to play some pretty good teams. I can’t wait to find out.

Broxton clearly has better stuff than most all of the guys mentioned here. What he doesn’t have is a killer instinct and an effective off-speed pitch. What made Gagne unhittable was that nasty circle change that he could throw for strikes whenever he wanted to. When Broxton can do that, he too will be unhittable.

Mark, against Boston and NY? If we get that far, make no mistake, we will be underdogs for a number of reasons and an edge in the closer department is only one of them.

14. Illini Dodger says:

Does anybdy else miss Casey Blake? The team was streaking-Casey injured the hammy, and then the Dogs play like rubes on a weak schedule. I know Bellisario is hitting, but maybe just Blake’s presence in the line up and on the field helps to calm things down?

15. ken says:

Well Belisario and Homer Sherill and Big John Broxton
    Had a big game game goin’ out on the field
    And they kept throwin’ them fastballs, strickin’ out all them batters
    Their luck was so good they could do no wrong
    They jest kept on throwin’ and savin’ them games
    And finally they jest threw up their hands and said
    “When you hot, you hot”
    Torre said “Yeah?”

When you’re hot, you’re hot
    And when you’re not, you’re not
    Put all the money in and let’s roll ‘em out there again
    When you’re hot, you’re hot
    (La la la la la la la) (La la la la la)
    (La la la la la la la, when you’re hot, you’re hot)

Well, now every time they relieved they’d win
    And Torre was just gettin’ ready to roll ‘em again
    When he heard somethin’ behind him
    He turned around and there was a big group of fans
    They said “Hello, Torre” and then they gave him a grin ‘n’ said
    “If you run them out there again they will blow this save
    And lose this 5 run lead”
    Torre said, “Well, fans when you hot, you hot”
    Fans said “Yeah”

When you’re hot, you’re hot
    And when you’re not, you’re not
    You can ‘splain it all after the game
    Torre say, yeah, when you’re hot, you’re hot
    You’re hot
    (La la la la la la la) (La la la la la)
    (La la la la la la la, when you’re hot, you’re hot)

Well, when he ran them out there again we couldn’t believe our eyes
    They pitched that old terrible game that I often recognized
    I said “Hey, Torre, old buddy, old pal”
    “I’ll pay ya that hundred I owe ya if you’ll get them outta this game”
    So he gave my friends a little stare today
    He turned around and grinned at us and said
    “I will keep them in the game for Ninety pitches, Fans, when you hot, you hot”
    ‘N’ we said “Thanks a lot”

When you’re hot, you’re hot
    And when you’re not, you’re not
    He let the trio lose the game and throwed the game for me
    He said “Well, when you’re hot, you’re hot”

I said, “Well I’ll tell ya one thing Torre, old buddy, old pal
    If you wasn’t wearin’ that blue uniform I’d take out in back of this stadium
    And I’d try a little bit of your Bigelow on
    You understand that, you Bigelow?
    Who gonna cheer for my team?”
    (When you’re hot, you’re hot)
    “Pay for my Cable TV?
    Whadda you mean ‘I’m Banned?”
    (When you’re hot, you’re hot)
    “Torre”

Hey, what happened to that be positive “fan/critic” stuff?

We are 6-4 in our last 10. We do that the rest of the year and, if the functionality of my Euclid algebraic calculations are correct, we should be World Champions.

17. Mark Timmons says:

I do have to admit that is Ken’s best work. I can see it in the Top 40!

18. Vigilante says:

We are not playing optimal ball. I know I shouldn’t quarrel with results, but it’s increasingly difficult to watch Torre micro-manage the offense. Wall to wall, this is a good hitting (BA) team. It just roasts my nuts to see Torre play small ball with bunting. Like yesterday: In the ninth, he’s bunting a man to 2nd when he’s ready with Ramirez to pinch hit? Everyone in the park knows that if the bunt is successful, Manny’s going to be walked. And what’s up with this superannuated thug named Thome??? If he wasn’t as slow as Old Mary down the street we would have a avoided that extra out. What’s old man Thome doing on this roster anyway? He’s taking up valuable-priceless pinch-hitting at bats at this time that Torre could be using to select his post-season bench. If Torre’s head is on straight, that is.

19. lawdog says:

One thing you can say for sure, Broxton knows how to really blow a save when he actually blows one. We coulda been up by 8 runs and if Joe leaves him in, he probably wouldn’t have got that last out before the Bucs win the game.

That said, when he doesn’t blow the save–he’s lights out. Torre should warm up Haeger behind Broxton. If the 100 mph fastballs aren’t getting people out, let them try to even make contact with the dancer!

We’ve already got a name for this pen. It’s the second coming of the brain dead heavers! Guys who change up on their fastballs by throwing harder!

20. Hank says:

Broxton gets lucky 75% of the time when he misses his spots as he usually does. Balls that are supposed to go outside, go inside, and balls that are supposed to go inside, go outside, or usually right out over the plate in both instances. He’s just lcuky to have a 97 MPH fastball most of the time. But come playoff time, you aren’t going to win with bad control, PERIOD (I think we learned this last year, a guy named Matt Stairs…yeah).

Sherill closes games with control. I do not care much about his velocity, because when he hits his spots, he’s automatic.

But hey, this is one man’s opinion.

21. Miguel says:

Please please please everyone, get your panties out of a ruffle with the whole Broxton thing! There are not many others in baseball that I would rather have closing out games for Dodgers. Everyone is upset that the Pirates beat us and that is the ONLY reason everyone feels like the sky is falling. Yes, it was a TERRIBLE loss. I had the displeasure of rushing home to watch that final at bat. And YES, I hope the Dodgers were completely embarrassed walking into their clubhouse all taped up in plastic only to watch clubhouse attendants scramble to take it down.

The game was lost by poor defense and poor base running.

22. Mark Timmons says:

Miguel,

JB scares me, and I’m fearless. I can’t help it!

Kuroda is pitching like Larry Bowa pitches batting practice.

Andy LaRoche is hitting for the cycle.

The sky is falling. The world has ended.

;)

Andy is such a Dodger at heart that the first two letters of his last name are “LA”

23. JSIMONN says:

THE SO-CALLED “FEAR” OR NOT TRUSTING OF OX HAS TO BE MORE BASED ON PERCEPTION THEN REALITY BECAUSE HE WAS BEST CLOSER IN MLBE BEFORE ASG!-DOES ANYBODY WANT TO DENY THIS?!-AND DOES ANYBODY WANT TO DENY THAT HIS ERA WAS 0 IN SEPTEMBER BEFORE SUNDAY!?-DID I MENTION HIS ERA IN 08NLDS VS CUBS WAS 0?!-OH-I FORGOT-HE CANT HANDLE PRESURE!-ILL STICK WITH RALITY WHILE U GUYS STICK TO PERCEPTION-GO DODGERS09!-RYAN FRANKLIN?!-AS JOHN MCENROE WOULD SAY TO A REFEREE-”YOU CANT BE SERIOUS!-RYAN FRANKLIN!?

Broxton occasionally gets by with just his fastball, but generally he has to have his slider working to be effective. The latter pitch wasn’t there yesterday.

I believe that Broxton has spent the last couple of years working on a split finger, which he has yet to gain enough confidence in to use in games. I seem to recall that Torre commented last year that the addition of that pitch to his arsenal would make Broxton unhittable (or something to that effect). I also recall reading that while they were both competing in the World Baseball Classic this past spring, Broxton talked to J.J. Putz of the Mets about his split finger grip. Problem is, the WBC was a competitive tournament, and did not afford Broxton the opportunity to experiment prior to the opening of the season. That should not be the case next spring.

Of course, next spring doesn’t help us now. Broxton’s control for the most part (except during the “toe” period) is generally pretty decent. He may not yet have pinpoint control, but if he has both his fastball and slider, it isn’t absolutely necessary. I certainly get uneasy with Broxton at times, but I also think I would have the same feelings if Bell, Franklin and Hoffman were pitching for the Dodgers. And by the way, as good as his stats have been, George Sherill doesn’t inspire much confidence in me.

Well I find that to be good news Brooklyn. This new pitch, either circle change of split finger, should have been in Broxton’s aresenal by now. It’s not like he is a newbie. This is 5th year up with the big club. The pitching coaches should have had him throwing this thing 3 years ago. It is just not that difficult to do. The hardest part of any pitcher having a really good change up is having a 99 mph fastball off which to throw the damn thing.

This team needs Broxton to close THIS YEAR! The whole structure of the 2009 Dodgers is to win it all now. Next year Manny and Blake are another year older and will their hammie issues even earlier. Hell, if Manny has a killer post season, he may be gone. Furcal might be slower, Hudson might be gone, not sure about Ethier but I think he goes through arbitration again (that could get ugly), Martin Kemp the pitching staff…….

The time is now. Broxton is the closer for this team. I hope he is ready for post season.

26. Kevin says:

Mark you suck.

27. george arias says:

tonite , proves that broxton is no good!!!he blow 6 or seven and now he blows, a 9th inning save opportunity in a must save situation. Torre, please donot use this so called closer anymore. id rather lose an not use this player . also, he should be the 1st to be traded next season. if not i will not be a dodger fan until he is gone!!

tonite oct 19th 2009 , i am so mad mad mad. and if i was a team-mate i would not talk to that man . hes not a closer /pitcher. has no sense of handling presure, he should go home and go in a hole.

28. Jimmy B says:

Who is his maternal mother?

29. hanna says:

Yes…and here we sit 9 mos later and jb is blowing a 4 run lead over the Yankees. He better pull this one off…

Nice way to bring this link back there hanna.

Dumb move by Loney.

Broxton had Curtis struck out. Bad call by blue.

Dumb move by Joe. Leave Broxton out of it if it isn’t a save situation. He pitched last night, and nearly 50 pitches tonight? Stupid.