Head Cases, O-Dogs, McDonalds and Loneys

Head Cases, O-Dogs, McDonalds and Loneys
  1. If there was any doubt, it is painfully apparent that Chad Billingsly has deep-seated psychological problems.  Fear of
    Temporarily Impaired

Temporarily Impaired

success can be just as paralyzing as fear of failure. Many people fear success because it tests their limits and makes them vulnerable to new situations. Even worse, success can expose weaknesses and force people to deal with their flaws.  Success is scary because it involves change. Success can be intimidating and hard to handle. With success comes more challenges and responsibilities – and that can be threatening.  Sometimes people fear success because they don’t know if they can live up to their achievements. They don’t think they’re good enough or smart enough. They’re afraid they don’t have what it takes to rise to the challenge, and they don’t know if they can sustain their success.And that’s where self-sabotaging behavior comes in.   Self-sabotaging behavior is an obvious “call for help.”  Was Chad traumatized as a child?  Does he have a complex that doesn’t allow him to achieve a degree of success?  What is it?  I haven’t a clue,but he gives up just one hit in hit stint and allows 3 runs with it.   It’s time to look at his “inner child.” I mean, the guy was absolutely dominant the first five innings.  Then, he walks 2 batters and blows the game. He sabotaged himself (subconsciously, of course).  Change his thinking and you have an ACE!  I am not saying this to be mean or disrespectful and I believe that Chad will overcome this.   He could actually do it pretty quickly, but he has to seek help.  Maybe he already is…  Again, I think he will overcome it and we will be none the wiser…

2. Stick a fork in O-Dog – Just like I predicted, he will not finish the season.  Nice guy.  He’s a fragile individual.  Now you know why Ned got Ronnie Belliard.   They say he’s not hurt – I don’t believe it.  He is hurt!
  3. James McDonald will not be on the playoff roster.  He just won’t.  Trust me.
  4. James Loney made some nice plays last night at 1B.  He is looking confident and prepared on defense and is playing Gold Glove Caliber Defense.  He has 90 RBI and has an outside chance at 100.   He will be on the playoff roster.   Trust me.
  5. If the Dodgers decide to keep Chad Billingsley in the rotation, might Clayton Kershaw pitch out of the pen?  It’s an interesting thought.
  6. Both Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp made bonehead plays in the outfield costing us 2 runs.  They both looked like their heads were somewhere else.  WAKE UP, PEOPLE!
  7. Rafael Furcal is looking like his old self.  Was he just saving it for the Big Dance?
  8. We need to keep winning.  Last night’s loss was not acceptable.  We need home field advantage to compensate for the Cards and Phillies multiple aces.
  9. I predicted that we would win 94-98 games. It looks like that was a pretty good guess….

30 Responses to “Head Cases, O-Dogs, McDonalds and Loneys”

1. lawdog says:

C Bills threw a 1 hitter through 6 innings and he had fabulous stuff. Too bad the 1 hit came on a hanging curve that stayed letter high on the inside corner and was easily converted into a 3 run home run. He had great stuff last night.

2. MSTI says:

Did you just accuse Chad Billingsley of having “deep-seated psychological problems” one day after he took a no-hitter into the 6th and gave up a dinger to one of the best hitters in the league?

That’s borderline offensive if he were to read that, I would think.

Also, Ethier’s bonehead play cost 0 runs. That run was scoring on a sac fly regardless.

I don’t think Bills problems are deep seated at all. I think they are right on the surface. He pitched well enough to win last night, but, didn’t. I hope he doesn’t take it too personally. Just cowboy up and be ready to do it again in 5 days. Having said that, a 7 inning outing would be nice.

Inning outing? Isn’t that an oxymoron?

That game was nothing more than a hiccup. The Dogs had a let down against a AAA club. Stuff happens. Notta to worry. It will be back to bidness today.

4. Illini Dodger says:

Mark-

You are absolutely right about CBills. It is a psychological problem. He has a bugaboo about the 6th inning. I posted last night that he just can’t get through it, even if he retires the first 2 hitters. This has happened before! I think more than once with 2 outs, but I know it has happened many times in the 6th. Of course, this can be fixed. How about hypnosis and the power of suggestion? It’s the 5th inning for Chad all game long. ;]

5. lawdog says:

What kind of bidness is that? The awl bidness?

C Bills just got tuckered out as he approached the 100 pitch mark. He’d been on the bench for a couple of weeks and pitched in relief a couple of days back. All his pitches had great late movement. And he even threw one Ephus curve that Padilla must have taught him.

6. Illini Dodger says:

I agree with Badger that this game was a hiccup. Unfortunately, not for O-Dog, McDonald and Billingsley, though. Please come back, Andre.

7. lawdog says:

One hanging curve does not a season make.

8. Illini Dodger says:

BTW. Methinks Mr. Loney is ready for post-season play. He’s developing into a glove man, and his hitting is coming along nicely.

9. lawdog says:

What in the hell was Mr. Bigelow thinking bringing in James McDonald in the ninth? James has good stuff but has no confidence. Putting him in a pressure situation like that is just going to result in less self confidence since it’s a given the kid’s going to fail. Just felony stupid. Real felony stupid. Has Torre even half a brain?

10. Illini Dodger says:

Unfortunately, it was 2 stupid walks and a hanging curve, and a lot of other blown games in the 6th inning that make Chad’s season. I’m not saying he can’t get back. It just don’t look good right now.

11. Illini Dodger says:

Lawdog- I thought Torre was purposely trying to lose when I saw McDonald come in!!

12. Illini Dodger says:

We needed some Ks in the 9th after McDonald choked, right? Where was Broxton?

MSTI, Sure Bills had a no hitter for a few innings, but it was the Nats how many actual hitters do they have? My question is if the Dodgers had a bigger lead like the night before would Torre had stuck with Chad? Confidence is what he is lacking, he always has! I took hell for saying that last year and all season here. Can we sign a damn sport shrink already?

I agree with some here that said Either dropping that ball was not costly in the slightest in fact I don’t think he needed to even chase it down.

Do I hear any apologies to the McCourts or Torre for the ridiculous “O-Dog is being benched to save money” comments? Now does it make sense to try and save this glas-man for Oct. Baseball? Dodger fans and writers can be so gullible sometimes!

14. A Shot of Haeger says:

I’m sorry.. the Nats can hit… they can’t pitch. Billingsley was great. If you remember Mark… Billingsley walked two in a row in the 4th inning and got out of it. I think he just got tired. We lost because our defense sucked. You can’t give any team that many extra outs and expect to win. I agree about Ethier’s drop in the 9th. The minute that ball was in the air, the game was over. Justin Maxwell, who was on third, is one of the fastest guys in their system.

McDonald has been inconsistent. That was just a tough outing. I do agree that I’d be surprised if he ended up on the playoff roster. Everyone right behind us lost..so no harm, no foul really. If we go 5-2 on this road trip…. I’ll be happy

15. SpokaneBob says:

It’s a 9 game road trip, so how about 7 out of 9?

John Smoltz had problems winning early in his career. He went to a sports psychologist and has been mentally tough ever since. Ned should be making some phone calls.

I am fine with Mc Donald missing the playoffs.

We need both Ronnie and Odog. Keep your fork in the drawer.

Nats are ok hitting. Middle of the pack really. Horrible pitching, we should pound them, especially now. These games are all crucial. We need two out three the rest of the way to secure home field. And frankly, though we are in the drivers seat for the division, it ain’t ours yet.

I think we lost because we left a team 24 on base. That’s a lot of bodies to leave standing out there against one of the worst pitching teams in all of baseball. You just have to knock those guys in. Maybe it was just a lazy game and we will light it up again tonight.

I would like to see Hudson in the play-offs please. McDonald can take a seat.

I still like, and believe Joe will use, veterans in the play-offs. Wolf, Kuroda, Garland. Sherrill, Kuo, (?) Broxton.

I am tired of hearing how “young” Billingsley is. He is 25 this is where he comes into his prime. He has been up since 2006! 4 years in you either crap or get off them pot! He is not THAT young. Youth is not his problem, inexperience isn’t his issue!

You guys are right the Nats can hit, but the point I was trying to make is there is a reason Torre moved Chad back to face the Nats and not the Giants. To increase his chances for success. Lets see Chad do it again in Pitts Monday. No excuses! If he melts down…. Goodnight Chad, see you in Glendale,AZ!

18. ken says:

Get out your stop watches and time Bills. He has not made it past 100 minutes in a game in months. If the 100 minute mark is reached in the 4th, 5th, 6th or 7th inning, then that is when he has the yip meltdown.

Make sure that he warms up sufficently in the pen, run him out there and pull him at the 90 minute mark even if he has a no hitter going, or if he is in the middle of pitching to a batter, just pull him. Tell the second starter for the day that they must be ready to begin pitching 90 minutes after the first pitch. Their combined ERA may just be below 3.00 for the game.

O-Dog has obviously been hurt for weeks. He must play with that soft cast and even was injured while wearing the soft cast. Maybe if he had been rested more during the earlier part of the season he would have healed much better.

At lease 96 wins are required this year for home filed advantage.

Romey I think it is generally accepted that starting pitchers don’t reach their prime until around 30.

From SFFS:

III. General projection strategies that apply to pitchers only

1. Like catchers, starting pitchers usually reach their prime years a little later than most hitters. Starting pitchers usually reach their prime when they are 29-31. By this age they are near the peak of their physical skills, but they are better mentally prepared for the game. Pitchers need the additional time to learn their opponent’s tendencies and improve their overall pitching skills.

Bills IS still very young for a starting pitcher. He also is coming off an injury that we don’t really know much about. Could it be that his leg is tiring? Who knows, but I still have faith that he will be a front of the rotation pitcher for maybe another decade, with his best years obviously still in front of him.

At this point, unless his next start is a strong 6-7 innings, I don’t know that I would use him as a starter in the play-offs. I already told you my starting 3, and we have Padilla in the mix as well. Who would be the 4th? I don’t know, maybe Bills, maybe Kershaw, maybe Padilla – but I think Joe will go with experience. And, that could be even more important depending on where the series starts and what happens in the first two. e.g. – if we start in L.A. and split, who do you want starting in St. Louis in game 3 – Garland, Kershaw or Billingsley?

Much is yet to be determined.

I dont have the ages in front of me Badger but Lincecum, Beckett,Santana, Sabathia,Hammel, Wainwright, guys like that I think are 30 and under. Or just over 30 and have been lights out for a few years. Am I right or am I way off? I don’t know?

21. kensai says:

Newsflash guys, winning is not a learnable skill.

Here we go, right? Another stat nerd rant about luck and all that garbage, right? Nah, take it from an actual player if you want.

Is Chad Billingsley’s outing that much better if the Dodgers get a hit in the top of the 7th and hold down the lead the rest of the way? Not to me.

Of course you pick out some of the elite pitchers in the game Romey, but even with that, if you look up each of them and see what they did at age 25, you might just be surprised.

After missing a start because of.. whatever, Billingsley went 6, gave up 3 earned (on 1 hit) and threw 87 pitches. I don’t see what the issue is really. Yeah, he walked 4, but he also struck out 9. If we don’t cough up a hairball with our 3 and 4 hitters leaving the bases loaded in the 9th maybe we win this game and few are talking about Bills like he just got pounded in a rehab start.

23. Mr.Mike says:

Put up a quality start, give up one hit and fan 9 but that isn’t enough to make everyone happy. Imagine that. The Senators or whatever they call themselves now join the century club tonight. Think Blue. :}

24. SteveM says:

I’m really getting tired of the lack of patience here.

Bills needs to be left alone, he has ACE-like stuff. If you guys had Koufax at 25 (36-40 record, 4.10 ERA, 5.3 BBs per 9 IP) would you have lost patience? DRomo would have chased Sandy-Freaking-Koufax out of town.

I know it’s blasphemous and no, I’m not saying Bills is going to be another Koufax – or even Drysdale, who by the way had very similar stats at the same stage in his career. What I’m saying, and have been saying is let Bills work it out. It will be worth it in my opinion.

Just for kicks, G. Maddox at 25: 60-43, 3.68 & 1.22 WHIP. Pedro Martinez at 25: 48-31, 3.38 & 1.05 WHIP. How about C. Schilling at 25: 18-22, 3.05 & 1.08 WHIP.

Chad Billingsley as of yesterday: 47-29, 3.55 & 1.38 WHIP. Think about all that and then decide if you want to give up on him already.

Cool stat: Kemp now has 100 RBI (just hit a 3-run HR) along with Ethier’s 103 give the Dodgers two 100 RBI guys for the 1st time since 2001. If Loney gets 100 (maybe?), then the Dodgers will have three 100 RBI guys for the 1st time since 1955.

This team’s best years are ahead, sit back and enjoy.

25. Mr.Mike says:

Does Vinnie hit the mute button when watching the away games he doesn’t travel to? How about a virtual Vinny calling the games from his couch? I’m in.

Looks like another night of LOB’n. Not gonna beat anyone if you don’t knock them in when given opportunity.

Raffy.

He looks ready for the playoffs.

I like the win. I don’t like another 20 LOB.

28. when we have men on base ..i see ever hitter try to hit the fence..even in little league they use to say just put the bat on the ball…let the ball do the work..

29. Josh says:

I pray you’re right about McDonald being left off the postseason roster. He brings a gas can to the mound with him every other time he comes into the game.