Do the Dodgers already have a ticket to the dance with Destiny this October? After flirting with mediocrity for a couple of months, theDodgers are starting to peak late in the season. It’s too early to anoint them Champs of anything, but they do have a magic number that we will post that until they clench. The Rockies are fading as the Dodgers are surging (sure we are playing the AAA affiliate of the Indianapolis Indians)
- 11 to clinch the NL West
- 10 to clinch a Playoff spot
Stats Matter But The Human Spirit Rules!
The Dodgers lead the league in team ERA and bullpen ERA, and baring a total collapse will end the year with the best ERA in baseball. The Dodgers are first in batting average and forth in runs scored, and forth in fielding. Stats matter, because of our stats, we are in first place. Stats do matter, but stats aren’t the “end-all, be-all.” Stats matter, but the human spirit rules! How do you explain the power of the only at-bat in the 1988 World Series and how that one at-bat changed the course of Dodger history? How can a lame, cold, bench-sitting injured player with two bad legs hit a home-run off Dennis Eckersley, arguably the best relief pitcher of all time and turn the Series around with just one at-bat? Get me a stat on that!
Which brings me to the point: Our pitching staff with the best ERA is all of baseball and the best bullpen in all of baseball with probably have to face teams that have two ACES. Can the best pitching staff in baseball beat two ACES? In poker, 12 “JACKS” beat 2 ACES?
Andre Ethier hit the biggest HR of his career and the biggest of the season last night, which could be the blast to our past (returning to the
World Series). I predicted Andre would hit 30 HR this year, but I never thought he would be Mr. Clutch. Something tells me he wants to take the tile as “Mr. October.” He has 30 HR, 40 doubles and will soon have over 100 RBI. He has to be one of the Top 10 offensive players in the NL. Matt Kemp is right there with him!
RANTS & RAVES
- Randy Wolf was solid as always and our pen was lights out!
- If you want to know our bullpen ERA for the past 3 or 4 weeks, buy a microscope!
- Clayton Kershaw is pitching beyond his years according to Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com
- Gurnick also says Billingsley is confident he will turn his season around.
- Check out this blog by Brian (somebody) on Hu. Hu?
- In March, I said that Manny was not the key to this team. What do you know? He’s a good player, but not the force he was last year. This team belongs to Kemp, Ethier, Loney and Martin. I vote NO on Adrian Gonzalez!
- The 2010 schedule is posted on the top navigation bar on this site. We play in Boston, with Detroit and the Yanks coming to the Ravine.
- Brett Tomko pitched a shutout for Oakland! Will wonders never cease?
- Hiroki Kuroda pitches this afternoon before an off day and a trip by the Bay to give the Giants their last rites!
- Dee Gordon’s father is Flash Gordon, so I now christen Dee as “Slash” Gordon!