I think some of you may misunderstand why I said Chad Billingsley “has deep-seated psychological problems.” First, you need to know that I have been a Chad Billingsley fan way back to the beginning of his career. I am still a big proponent of Chad Billingsley and… I’ll say it: I think he should be in the playoff rotation. I don’t think he nuts, psycho or a moron. I think he is someone who has hit the wall because of his thought process. Somehow, someway, he has a deep-seated issue with success and unknowingly sabotages his own journey to success. Yes, he had a one-hitter on Wednesday, but after walking two batters in the 6th inning, his HR was too predictable, and he chose THAT MOMENT to hang a pitch. This has become a pattern this year. He pitches well for 4-6 innings and BANG, he blows it up. It’s mental. It’s psychological and it’s beatable! Chad Billingsley is a winner and maybe he is already working on his problem. This is a common problem which people in various walks of life face. Chad is just on a public stage and his struggles are well publicized. Chad will come back with a vengeance. I am betting on it. The immediate question is “Can he be effective in the playoffs?” I say YES! I like Chad, as our #2 for a long time, but he has to conquer this psychological issue first!
When I say he has psychological problems, I’m not saying he’s nuts. We are all nuts anyway. I am and so are you. YES, YOU! Get over it already. Do you know how hard it is to do what Chad does? He has been too good for too long for this to define his career. Watch and see! Our playoff hopes hinge on two guys whose combined age is the same as Jamie Moyers – Chad Billingsley and Clayton Kershaw! If they step-up in the playoffs, we will be hard to beat!
When I said Andre Ethier made a “bonehead play” on Wednesday, I simply feel that regardless of the situation, you play it out. Just like a pop-up. You run hard, and 1 out of 100 times they drop it. Andre should have been ready, thrown the ball and, well you know the rest. You just can’t EVER, EVER assume. Last night Andre won the game with his arm by gunning down a runner at the plate. Perfect execution by Andre and a perfect block of the plate by Russell. It was as beautiful as it was ugly the day before.
RANTS & RAVES:
- Poor execution: Kemp triples to lead off and inning and the Dodgers can’t score him. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE AND FUNDAMENTALLY HORRIBLE. You have to score a runner on 3B with no out EVERY TIME! NO EXCUSES! The batters who failed to advance him should have to run laps!
- Will Padilla make the playoff roster?
- Rafael Furcal is really playing like… Rafael Furcal! When he plays like he is playing, the Dodgers can’t be beat! We are a totally different team. I’m glad Joe listened to me and kept him in the eladoff spot!
- The Bison: 100 RBI!
- I can see Blake DeWitt at 2B next year. Forget his stats at ALBQ this year. I say DeWitt will hit .270 with 15-20 HR next year. He has more range at 2B than Belliard… by a long shot!
- I take back all the bad things I said about Jon Broxton… until he blows another save!
- Magic number: 1
- Garland today. Bubbly tonight! It ain’t nothin’ but a party!