Cain Wasn’t Able

Cain Wasn’t Able
Martin-Loney-Ethier-Kemp

This Is Our Team!

… to beat the Dodgers.  It was nice to have a “laugh-er” for once.   I need to re-interate that I am a prophet!  Last month, I predicted that Loney would be “white hot” in September and yesterday I wrote that this was the time for Ethier, Kemp, Loney and Martin to step-up and show this is their team – PRESTO!  They all had 2 hits last night!

If you need some lottery numbers just send $500 cash and I’ll give them to you – remember, I’m a prophet!

RANTS & RAVES

• Hiroki Kuroda stepped up BIG TIME last night.  He was our opening day starter – could he be our opening game playoff starter?
  • The Dodgers have  have given up five or fewer runs in each of their last 30 games.  Contrary to naysayers, the Dodgers’ pitching HAS GOTTEN BETTER, NOT WORSE!  The Dodgers have the best TEAM PITCHING in all of baseball.  That is a fact.  Now, it’s also a fact that teams have 3 better starters than our best 3 starters…
  • We missed Casey Blake!  It’s good to have the opportunist back.
  • It seems that the Dodgers were playing word games regarding the injuries to Clayton Kershaw and Randy Wolf.  Both injuries were significantly worse than initially reported.  Clayton Kershaw has a seperated right shoulder and Randy Wolf has a “hyperextended” left elbow.  The good news about Wolf is that it not a product of pitching, as he hyper-extended it hitting.  It’s also good news for Kershaw, as it will keep him fresh for the playoffs.
  • Here’s a thought – make Billershaw a starter for the playoffs.  Have Bills pitch 4 innings and Kershaw pitch 4 innings.  Use them on 3 days rest!
  • From here on, O-Dog gets $10,000 per at-bat.  Do the math.  If he leads off and hits 5 times a game, times 20 games, thats a MILLION DOLLARS.  Joe is saving Frank money by playing Belliard.  O-Dog can’t be thrilled.
  • Heath Bell is on the Rockies payroll – what a chump!
  • Vicente Padilla goes verse Sanchez tonight.  If the Dodgers sweep this series, the Giants are effectively dead!
  • UPDATE: I JUST GOT TICKETS IN THE SCOUTING AREA TO SEE THE GREAT LAKES LOONS AT THE FT. WAYNE TIN CUPS TOMORROW.  I’LL HAVE THE FULL SCOOP ON ALL THE GREAT YOUNG LOONS ON MONDAY!

Minor League Recap – 9/11/09 from Jared at http://thinkbluela.blogspot.com/
Albuquerque lost 1-0

Tony Abreu – 0 for 4, 2 K’s (.214 BA)
Xavier Paul – 2 for 4, K (.250 BA)
Blake DeWitt – 1 for 4, K (.333 BA)
Jamie Hoffman – 2 for 4 (.444 BA)
Chin Lung Hu – 0 for 3 (.182 BA)

Great Lakes won 3-2

Dee Gordon – 2 for 5, HR (1), RBI, R, 2 K’s, CS, E (.385 BA)
Jaime Pedroza – 1 for 3, HR (1), RBI, R, 2 BB, E (.182 BA)
Kyle Russell – 0 for 5, 4 K’s (.167 BA)
Alfredo Silverio – 1 for 4, 3B (.167 BA)
Jerry Sands – 1 for 4, 2B, K (.273 BA)

Ethan Martin – 4.2 IP, Hit, ER, BB, 3 K’s (1.93 ERA)
Geison Aguasviva – 1.1 IP, 2 Hits, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K’s (0.00 ERA)
Nathan Eovaldi – 1 IP, 0 Hits, R (0 ER), 2 BB, 3 K’s (0.00 ERA)
Cole St Clair – 3 IP, 2 Hits, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K’s (0.00 ERA)

Ogden won 8-4

BCG – 0 for 3, R, SB, HBP (.322 BA)
Angelo Songo – 1 for 3, 2B, RBI, K, HBP (.306 BA)
JT Wise – 2 for 4 (.338 BA)
Clay Calfee – 2 for 2, HR (3), 2 RBI, 2 R, 2 BB (.354 BA)
Nick Akins – 0 for 3, R, BB, 2 K’s (.260 BA)

Garrett Gould – 1 IP, 0 Hits, 0 R, BB, 3 K’s (10.13 ERA)
Ji-Mo Lee – 1 IP, Hit, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K’s (6.00 ERA)

Player of the day – Loons’ pitching

Ethan Martin had one of his best outings of the year in the most important game of the year. He kept his pitch count low, trusted his defense and threw strikes when he needed to. Aguasviva picked up for him and did well, not allowing Martin’s inherited runner to score. Eovaldi struck out the side but allowed 2 walks. He was also victimized by Dee Gordon’s throwing error with 2 outs. The real hero may be Cole St Clair, who pitched longer than he has at any time this year. He eluded a bases loaded jam in the 9th and the winning run on 1st base in the 10th to secure the win. The Loons are ready to face Fort Wayne in the league semifinals.

33 Responses to “Cain Wasn’t Able”

Real writer or not, Mark you have one of the best Dodger Blogs on this Planet. Dodger Thoughts is OK but it doesn’t give you the interaction of ideas like this site does. I don’t care how people use the site if it’s for giving opinions about the Dodgers on a daily basis or stating thoughts during the game, or simply writing song lyrics, it’s a fun place to be anytime of the day. And who’s to say how to use this site other then Mark. U DA MAN not Phillyblue. What kind of a name is that anyway. Are you a Dodger fan a Philly fan or cross dresser/uniformer?

I was surprised at how easy we took apart a top rung pitcher last night. This was a big step forward in my opinion. I was disappointed that O-Dogie wasn’t in the lineup but Belliard got a double but then failed to advance the runner from third with less then two outs. Playing Belliard everyday has a feel that he’s auditioning for a 2nd base job in 2010.

Furcal is silencing his critics with his recent play. His diving catch on the line drive was fantastic last night. He’s beginning to drive the ball again and waking up just in time for the playoffs. I like Kemp hitting behind Manny better having him in the 2 hole. Kemp just doesn’t hit there. Casey back in the lineup should be a bust for the offense and his defense at 3rd is why he’s the Foundation of the team. I agree with Badger that Manny’s recent trend appears to be taking the first pitch down broadway. He should be jumping all over that pitch unless the opposing pitcher is struggling with his control. Tonights game is huge and we need to start now with the consistancy of winning again. Our goal should be to win every series the rest of this season. Even if it’s a weak schedule. Sanchez is very hittable and taking him apart shouldn’t be an impossible task for us tonight. The big game for me is Sunday when Penny takes the mound against us. We just can’t let this jerk beat us. That’s a must win game for us.

Enough from me. GO BLUE

Orlando Hudson, who has sat out four times in the Dodgers’ last 11 games, is to be paid $10,000 for each plate appearance from No. 576 to No. 632. He began this weekend with 577. — LA Times

I just copied this from Dodger Dugout. Interesting

“I think Bengie Molina is the slowest runner in the league. If Bengie was in a foot race against Loney, Loney would win by 10 lengths in a 50 length race. Pat Burrel might be a better opponent for Bengie. I would hate to handicapp that race.”-BRuss

Hilarious! i would pay to see that race, you could time it with a sun dial.

BRuss, don’t suck up to Mark too much. We all know this is the best Dodger blog out there and the only one you can really interact with itellegent fans. but if you prop Mark up too much it might go to his head. :)

We can beat Sanchez tonight. We do well against him. The Foudation looked a little gimpy last night even if he did hit the big fly. I think we need to use him carefully. Peace fellas!

Now that’s funny, I don’t care which party you’re from.
    Must watch video above

5. SpokaneBob says:

Didn’t get to see yesterdays posts until just now, I was traveling.

Haze and Kay……Nice.

Glad Casey is back, His defense is a notch or two above Ronnie and if he hits like he can, he will be a big help.

I want Odog back in there. I don’t want to believe that Orlando is not playing because of money. Maybe he is resting or they have match up info that we don’t. Our best line up has him in there. I do like the new line up. Matt Kemp may never leave the 4th spot!

Go Blue

6. Steven says:

Going to the game tonight in SF…GO DODGERS!

I wonder what they did to that dog to get him to do that. He looked like he probably got smacked a few times just to make a point. Ridiculous.

8. Kay in L.A. says:

Hellooo, James Loney! I kept the faith for YOU, as the blog is my witness:) Calling you Sparky from now on.

Mark, Wolf is due to start as soon as this coming Tuesday.

Kuroda-san pitched an awesome game. Kay has been solid in his corner too. Dodger hitting and run production came off the endangered species list, Casey Blake an undisputed key member of the New Blue Wrecking Crew. (So put his pic up there too?:)

Hero Hiroki delivered on a day we honored many heroes of a terrible day past and welcomed home heroes from space, via Space Shuttle Discovery. BOOM-BOOM. What a day: 9-12-09!!!

9. Blue Haze says:

Shame on you for being proud of your country, Kay.

10. A Shot of Haeger says:

This country is pretty awesome! It isn’t perfect, but pretty awesome!

11. Kay in L.A. says:

Thanks, Blue Haze:-)

I meant “What a day: 9-11-2009″

Let’s beat tar out of San-Fran-SICKO!!

• Mr.Mike says:

You were right the first time Kay, “What a day 9-12-09″. Sparky is cool but James is the Batman to me. Tommorow Penny, is life good or what?

Shame on you for being proud of your country?????

Where did that come from?

There are a lot of awesome countries around the world. This is ours, with it’s enormous imperfections, failing economy, two seemingly endless wars and petty political nonsense, it’s still a damn nice place to call home.

Now lets lay 11 more on the gints.

I thought my spelling was bad. Has anyone noticed the SF Giant jerseys tonight? It’s spelled GIGIANTES on the uniform. What is up with that? I double checked before writing this. It’s not my meds.

14. Mark Timmons says:

I saw that too,

but I had 4 New Castles.

What do I know?

15. Mr.Mike says:

Multi-tasking here, Dodgers, College football and the US Open. Serena just went gangsta, threatened to off the line judge, stay in tune and be connected.

They do alot of weird things in the Bay but Spelling Giants GIGIANTES is crazy. Is that a spanish spelling or something?

Or did someone get put in charge of lettering the jerseys that stutters and adds in an extra E?

18. Mark Timmons says:

Give me another New Castle.

19. Blue Haze says:

Aw how simple things can be turned into such stupid things (yeah, STUPID with all caps).

Gigiantes? I am not getting the game on t.v. but I can tell you the uni’s don’t say that. That’s not a word in any language. Gigantes is of course Spanish and they do that now and then.

Looking good so far.

21. Illini Dodger says:

Mark,

Are we officially out of the slump now after kicking the Giants again tonight? Please say it’s so!

22. Illini Dodger says:

Heath “The Biggest Loser” Bell blows another save.

Now I am positive Bad Penny throws a 1 hit complete game shutout tomorrow. I hope I am wrong. If the boys give Bills any run support Chad might keep his head on straight.

Penny was good last time out, right?

Bad Penny will show up today. He just can’t possibly have two in a row in him.

Anybody see that USC game?

Penny has already had 2 really good starts in a row!! This would be #3

26. A Shot of Haeger says:

He’ll get shelled like a bag of peanuts. He hates us so much, when we get to him early, he’ll implode and your hatecrush will pitch well and get the win and the Dodgers will sweep

27. Blue Haze says:

Penny is a meathead, he will try to overthrow everything, maybe he can blow out his arm like he did in the All-star game. I will be surprised if Penny completes four innings.

Ethier will take Penny yard today.