Are You a Fan or A Critic?

Are You a Fan or A Critic?

CriticWhat is a fan?  A fan is a lot like a friend.  A fan, sees a teams warts, but loves and roots for them the same.  A critic is someone who has no discernible talent so tries to make someone else feel as useless as he/she is.  A critic is a low-life creature that lacks any talent or ability to contribute anything, yet chooses to verbally attack and put down the works of others.

Through usage of long words and general pretenciousness, they pretend to show intelligence and also to appear human like the rest of us, hiding their true parasite form. Everyone has, and is entitled to, an opinion, but a critic makes it their businness to state their opinion to everyone through the media or press, and to state their opinion as fact. If you are a musician, film-maker, artist, writer, baseball player,  etc, and you see a professional critic writing a review about you, do the right thing and kill them where they stand!  If you want to know if a film or band or baseball player, etc. is any good, don’t read the reviews, ask a friend what they think.

Here’s what someone said about  Art Critics:  “Imagine, you get to Heaven and St Peter asks what you did with your life and you say, ‘Oh I just said what other people did wrong!’”

I subscribe to the theory that a critic is someone who comes onto the battlefield after the battle is over and shoots the wounded.  A critic is a legless man who teaches running.  A critic is a bundle of biases held loosely together by a sense of taste.  Critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it’s done, they’ve seen it done every day, but they’re unable to do it themselves.  A critic never fights the battle; they just go around shooting the wounded.

A non-doer is very often a critic – that is, someone who sits back and watches doers, and then waxes philosophically about how the doers are doing. It’s easy to be a critic, but being a doer requires effort, risk, and change.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. (Theodore Roosevelt)

Are you a critic?  I used to be, but I’m not any more.  Not after I read what Teddy Roosevelt said.  I love Joe Torre, I love Rick Honeycutt, I love everybody.  I couldn’t do better myself.  ;)

GO DODGERS!

21 Responses to “Are You a Fan or A Critic?”

1. A Shot of Haeger says:

See!!! That’s what I’ve been saying. I’m a fan!!! I know I couldn’t do any better than anyone on any professional sports team… so all I do is root for my team and hope for the best. I think positive! I have no desire to cut down someone who’s out there busting his butt and doing his best, irregardless of the results. I can’t pitch better than the worst pitcher in the majors and I can’t hit better than the worst hitter in the majors and I can’t manage better than the manager with the lowest winning percentage in the majors… and if anyone who posts on here thinks they can, they’re wrong. Criticism is just like the post where you quoted Godin a couple of weeks ago. Negative thinking is easy.. positive thinking is hard, but worth it.

Get a grip my friend.

“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood”

This is a baseball blog, not a freakin’ battlefield. We are ALL critics in here. None of us are out on the baseball field. What else can we do but write our opinion’s in here? Sometimes we like what we see, sometimes we don’t. That’s not being negative, that’s just being truthful.

e.g. – it is my opinion we sucked tonight. Our 2 through 5 hitters were 1 for 16 against a group of pitchers I never heard of before.

Is that being a critic? Well, yeah it is. But I’ll do it again…..

I saw a movie the other day that I thought was terrible. The plot was unbelievable and so were the actors.

I was not in the movie. Does that mean I cannot have an opinion of the movie? I didn’t like it, but because I wasn’t in it, I have to go ahead and recommend it to my friends.

Have any of you ever been to a restaurant and had a meal so bad you sent it back? If it’s a bad meal, but the chef is really a good person who tries hard, does that mean we cannot be critical of the food because we didn’t sweat and bleed in the process of preparing the meal?

And one more, let’s say we have a leader who makes mistake after mistake……………….

ok, I’m done. And maybe the last one was crossing the line….

but I am still fairly positive we sucked tonight.

5. Mark Timmons says:

Thou doest protest too much…

6. Mark Timmons says:

Someones sleeping, lord, kumbaya
    Someones sleeping, lord, kumbaya
    Someones sleeping, lord, kumbaya
    Oh lord, kumbaya
    Oh lord, kumbaya

7. A Shot of Haeger says:

Badger, you just made Mark’s point.. This isn’t a battlefield..it’s only a baseball game… the criticism is so unnecessary here.. because the affect this team has on our lives is minimal… While the effect that our leaders or immediate superiors have on our life is exponentially larger. Belliard boots a grounder, we move on… the president boots a peace talk, we could be in world war three. Criticism and holding people accountable is important.. for a baseball game….notsomuch in my opinion

8. rosostrov.ru says:

It’s interesting to find how challenging the content side is for some

I made Mark’s point? I beg to differ.

He said critics are eunichs. He said a critic is useless – “is someone who has no discernible talent so tries to make someone else feel as useless as he/she is.” He said critics are cowards and murderers – “a critic is someone who comes onto the battlefield after the battle is over and shoots the wounded.”

He said “It’s easy to be a critic, but being a doer requires effort, risk, and change.”

His point seems clear to me – critics (and critical thinkers?) are vermin and their opinions are irrelevant.

Which means, the only people whose points are valid, are those that never speak up when they see lack of effort, mistakes or indifference – they just walk blindly in support. Obsequious sycophants. I ask you, haven’t we had enough of people like that?

Sometimes speaking up against vomitous puissance can be a very dangerous thing to do. It sometimes requires courage to go against the flow and speak to truth.

But, back to baseball…..

Fan is short for fanatics.

What would anyone expect from fanatics? Extreme behaviors of course. And that can be enthusiasm for good play, and criticism for lousy play.

Mark claims at the end of his diatribe that he used to be a critic, but is no more. I know him personally and I can tell you that is b.s.. He’ll be back when he sees something that requires critical comment.

10. GoNzO says:

I hear ya Badger. Mover???? If one of your employees does a shitty job, you have to critique and evaluate the performance of that employee. Now are you all those negative adjectives you used apply to you? I think not.

If some posters here can’t handle the heat they shouldn’t be in the kitchen. Honestly, I prefer reading Blue Haze and Badger’s old battles than the slurpfest and nonsense some of them post. Just my two cents. Again Badger, I hear ya.

11. A Shot of Haeger says:

I see your point…but in the end it’s only a game. I choose to enjoy my team and not dissect every little thing that goes right or wrong. It’s true though.. you have opinions and you have the right to express them and a lot of it is just venting… just keep in mind… no matter what you think, I don’t believe anyone on this board knows more about the Dodgers and what they need to do than anyone in that Dodger forganization. Maybe instead of criticizing, you should do something about it.

I’ve always believed if you don’t like the way the Dodgers are run or the Dodgers are playing or the direction the team is going, stop following them. Stop giving them your money… hit them where it hurts… in the bank account. Take action instead of constant complaining. Anyone can criticize, that’s easy…making them take notice and change is hard. Loyalty is earned not given away free. Voices get you heard, action affects change.

I’ve always said if you don’t vote, you have no right to complain about anything. It applies here as well. If you don’t like Joe Torre as a manager and you don’t like Ned Coletti as a general manager or you don’t like McCourt as the owner and you criticize everyone in the organization on message boards and then you turn around and buy a hat and four tickets to a Dodger game, you’ve lost your right to complain.

Boycott the team, if you don’t like the way things are going. I have to admit, it’s been a pretty nice run the past three or four years. It hasn’t always been perfect, but the team is in pretty good shape. Maybe just enjoy it, instead of tearing it down.

12. Mark Timmons says:

By now, Badger of all people, should know that this was tongue-in-cheek!

Yeah, I’ll never criticize anyone again.

Yeah, Right!

We are all baseball critics. We can criticize, but we can’t do.

Nothin’ like a head slap to get someone’s attention, hey Mark?

How long we been doing this?

BTW Haeger, not too many years ago I tried my best to organize an Opening Day boycott to send a message to these yahoos. Didn’t work. Not long after that, I chose not to go to a single game all year. Boy, that really hurt ‘em. Those in here who have known me for over 10 years or so know all about this. Gonzo, Mark and ldawg have been around about that long. And, it was never the Dodgers in particular with me, it was the organization of MLB.

What we can do is voice our opinion, loud and clear and the fact is we won’t always agree. And that is what these places are for, and that is why Mark went to all the trouble to build this place. You won’t ever have to guess what I am thinking about a player, manager, GM or owner. I will also admit when I have been wrong.

Interesting thread.

Now about last night’s game. Another snoozer in a pennant race. Was the Pirates pitching that good?

14. Mark Timmons says:

rosostrov,

I am not smart enough to know if I got complemented, slammed or spammed!

15. Blue Haze says:

“And one more, let’s say we have a leader who makes mistake after mistake……………….” — Badger the Critic

It only took 9 months, Badger is beginning to see the light. (that’s for you Gonzo)

Huh?

Jury is still out Haze, but I am watching closely. There is a watchdog website that is all over it also.

“There Are No Secrets, Only Information You Don’t Yet Have”

17. A Shot of Haeger says:

Badger,

the fact that you tried and made an effort to boycott something you didn’t like, that’s cool. Just because it didn’t work, doesn’t mean it wasn’t worthwhile or worth the effort.

Our defense has struggled the past week. I just think we’re tired…. we really need some of our regulars to get some rest.

I have been to 2 games this year (stub hub, much good seats for moderate dinero) and of course went to ST twice. I also bought a Manny wig, so, I am back to being a whore again.

They almost lost me when they struck the World Series. Millionaires, playing a freaking game for their dough go on strike? That didn’t sit well with me, still doesn’t. But, what are you going to do? It’s baseball. I have loved this game since I hit my first home run while in diapers. It was in my living room and my dad said I took a sinker down the middle on the first pitch, and then hit the next pitch over the left field couch. I have been a junkie ever since.