Chad Billingsley was roundly criticized last year in the playoffs against the Phillies for failing to hit a batter after manny had been hit. I can see the logic, but do you really want your starter ejected in that situation? Maybe, maybe not, but someone does have to hit their guy at some point. Russ Martin said it best: “It’s protection. It’s just about keeping the team unified and pulling the wagons together.” The Dodgers are simply send a message that they won’t play SOFT when it comes to hitting their guys.
Manny was plunked in the 7th inning, but the Dodgers waited until the 9th inning to drill Prince Fielder, and Mota hit him in the thigh, so what’s the problem? I can see wanting to fight if you are hit in the head, but Prince should know this is the way you play the game. You hit our best hitter, we hit yours! It’s that simple! Fielder was lucky he didn’t get into the Dodgers clubhouse, because the Dodgers would have beat the crap out of him! I don’t care how big he is. That’s felony stupid!
Look for some more bad blood tonight as Jason Schmidt goes for the Dodgers (hold your breath – you never know how he will do). If the Brewers brush our guys back or hit anyone tonight, we have to retailiate RIGHT AWAY, especially with Schmidt on the mound. A good fight can galvanize a team and I’m still waiting for Joe Torre and Larry Bowa to get ejected.
RANTS & RAVES:
- Albert Pujols is 7-9 with the bases loaded this year with 5 Grand Slams. WOW!
- Matt Kemp is now hitting .323 (tied for 4th in the NL) and is tied for the team lead in RBI’s with 69. I think he has demonstrated he is a middle-of-the-order hitter. Just imagine what he will be in a year or two – can you say MVP?
- Andre Ethier is thriving hitting ahead of Manny as most of us said he would.
- 17-4 – Don’t get too excited – it’s only 1 game!
- Matt Kemp has been our most consistet player and I would argue, our MVP this year. He has hit over .300 every month except one and that was .292 in May. Last year he struck out every 3.96 AB, this year he’s at 4.4.
- Dodger OPS Leaders: Manny 1.034, Kemp .893, Ethier .873, Blake .839, Loney .762, Martin .710
- Still the best record in baseball.
- The Dodgers are 1st in the NL in batting, 2nd in runs scored, 2nd in ERA and 2nd in Fielding. They are solid top-to-bottom.
- Kuroda seems to be getting a little better every start.
- As bad as Russ Martin has been this year, his OB% is .377 and he is 2nd in Runs Scored by Catchers (trailing only Joe Mauer).