You Can Stop The Paranoia

You Can Stop The Paranoia

Joe Torre doesn’t have it “in” for Charlie Haeger and said Haeger will continue to be in the mix of the rotation as the team moves toward the

Look at the Grip!

Look at the Grip!

postseason.  Here’s what Joe said (Steve Gartner of mlb.com)

“He’s a hot hand.  He’s pitched well two times in a row now. I trust him at this point.It’s going to be [a matter of] whether the knuckleball is working or isn’t working. I think we’ll know that early.”

The fact of the matter is that Charlie currently has a huge advantage over team who have not seen him and his “Dog and Pony Show.”  Joe is wise to pitch him as much as possible and ride him until the wheels fall off!  He goes today against the hot Cincinnati Reds.  I should be in Cincinnati right about now, but my son had football practice last night and has a football game today.  Maybe we’ll go catch the finale Sunday.   By the way, Cincinnati won’t accept the Dodgers request to allow “stinking bloggers” in the press-boxIt seems that their press policy is as sad as their team!   Mediocrity permeates that once proud organization.   It is amazing the degree of ineptitude in business and baseball is no different.

Rants & Raves

• There’s nothing wrong with Billingsley… that is, nothing wrong below the neck!  He has an ERA of nearly 6.00 in the pst 2 months.  This is a strange year for some young “rising-star type” pitchers.  Look at Hamels and Kazmir as well.  Billingsley is an Ace compared to them.   Hopefully Chad can get it together by the end of September.  We have to have him then.
  • How can 10 hits only produce 2 runs?
  • I guess the Dodgers read Homer Bailey’s scouting report and didn’t look at his ERA.
  • Where’s Waldo?  Where’s Manny?
  • 3 hits for Raffy.  Luck-out or break-out?
  • Andre Ethier seems to be either very hot or very cold!
  • Does anyone still think Russ Martin can’t throw after watching last night’s game?
  • O-Dog’s BA is sinking faster than Jimmy Hoffa in concrete boots.
  • James Loney may yet reach double digits in HR…
  • Bill Plaschke of The LA Times says that “Manny Isn’t Right!”  He never has been…  Oh, that’s not what he meant!  Here’s a bit of what he said:

Although the official explanations for his slump involve those habits, and are technical and convoluted, those familiar with steroids quietly submit one simple reason:

Ramirez trying to kill the ball to overcompensate for the fact that he’s no longer juiced, attempting to show everyone that his previous success was him and not steroids.

There are those who also wonder whether he is struggling with the loss of that invincible feeling that steroids give hitters, a syndrome commonly associated with those who are struggling to find themselves after coming clean.

Some, such as Jason Giambi, can overcome this feeling and learn to be a good hitter again. Others, such as Sammy Sosa, never could.

Of course, it could be just the hand. That was my first question to him Friday night, asking whether the hand had been quietly bothering him for five weeks.

“That was nearly months ago and you ask me about it now?” he said.

“Well, something is wrong,” I said.

At this point, teammate Orlando Hudson, apparently feeling that the personable Ramirez required protection from the media, chimed in with a high-pitched ridicule.

“Why do we strike out?” he said. “Why do we ground out?!”

Hudson was hitless in four at-bats Friday, and has scored all of seven runs this month, but this wasn’t about him.

In Ramirez’s case, all the questions are legitimate. Why, indeed?

“Tomorrow is another day,” he said, hustling out the door. “You want to ask me any more questions, text me.”

• Personally, I think Manny should sit the rest of this series.  Put Pierre in LF, lead him off and move everyone down one slot

Minor League Recap – 8/28/09 by Jared of ThinkBlueLA
Albuquerque won 8-7

Tony Abreu – 0 for 5 (.351 BA)
Blake DeWitt – 3 for 5, 2B, RBI, 2 R, K (.253 BA)
Jamie Hoffman – 1 for 2, HR (6), 3 RBI, R, BB (.283 BA)
Chin Lung Hu – 2 for 4, E (.290 BA)

Scott Elbert – 5 IP, 3 Hits, R (0 ER), 2 BB, 8 K’s (3.74 ERA)
Josh Lindblom – 1 IP, Hit, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K’s (2.83 ERA)

Chattanooga won 3-1

Andrew Lambo – 1 for 4, 2 RBI, K, SB (.259 BA)
Lucas May – 2 for 4, 2B, 3B, R (.303 BA)
Trayvon Robinson – 2 for 4, 2B, RBI, K (.219 BA)

Victor Garate – 1 IP, 0 Hits, 0 R, BB, 0 K’s (2.04 ERA)

Inland Empire won 4-1

Doug Mientkiewicz – 0 for 3, R, BB, K (.200 BA)
Scott Van Slyke – 2 for 4, 2B, HR (21), 3 RBI, R, K, SB (.291 BA)
Preston Mattingly – 1 for 4, K (.239 BA)

Great Lakes won 8-0

Dee Gordon – 0 for 3, R, BB, K (.305 BA)
Jaime Pedroza – 2 for 5, 2B, RBI, 2 R, K, CS, PO (.261 BA)
Kyle Russell – 2 for 4, 2 2B’s, RBI, BB, K (.273 BA)
Jerry Sands – 1 for 3, 2 RBI, BB (.228 BA)
Alfredo Silverio – 1 for 4, 2B, 2 R, K (.274 BA)

JonMichael Redding – 6 IP, Hit, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K’s (4.59 ERA)
Roberto Feliciano – 2 IP, Hit, 0 R, 0 BB, K (0.00 ERA)

Ogden won 6-3

BCG – 0 for 5, OF Assist (.329 BA)
Mario Songco – 2 for 3, 2B, HR (8), RBI, 3 R, BB (.344 BA)
Nick Akins – 0 for 3, R, K, HBP (.266 BA)

Allen Webster – 5 IP, 5 Hits, 2 ER, BB, 5 K’s (1.42 ERA)
Steven Ames – 2 IP, Hit, ER, 0 BB, 2 K’s (1.40 ERA)

AZL did not play
Players of the day – Scott Van Slyke and Mario Songco, OF

Van Slyke keeps slugging, collecting his league best 41st double and 22nd HR. He also collected his 10th stolen base and his 124th strikeout. The whiffs concern me a little and, at 23, Scott still isn’t a finished product. We’ll see how he does in his real test next year at Double A. Songco, on the other hand, took a step backward after struggling in Low A. He comes back to Ogden as possibly the best hitter in the league, sporting a 1.111 OPS that’s just a tick behind former teammate Jerry Sands’ league-leading mark. Full season ball might have been a little much for the 20 year old, and he can wait til next year to try it out again.

29 Responses to “You Can Stop The Paranoia”

How do we all feel about this team without Manny in the lineup?

I think he just has to be there. It would not hurt to do the Pierre thing for a few games, to get a feel for what it might or might do to ignite this club, but I think we all know Pierre is not the answer to our problems. He hit .368 in May, .264 in June, .268 in July and in 31 ab’s in August he is hitting .355, but, anyone believe he will go anywhere but down from that? Post All Star – .278, .322 OBP and 0 HR, 1 RBI.

Pierre is not the answer.

Manny is. He is the anchor of this lineup. If he is doing what the $25,000,000 says he should be doing, we are a potent lineup. If he can be pitched to, well, we got streaky hitters all around him. Mayhaps they streak all the way through October. And, if that’s the case, I am all for it.

Anytime Dogs.

Was it in here I was reading that Lambo was going to force us to trade James Loney and very soon? Or, was he going to play left field next year???

Maybe not here?

Lambo is fading like an Arizona sunset. Post All Star, .228 with a .278 OBP and .375 slg. %. Ho hum. He doesn’t appear to be tearing it up at AA. He is still young. Maybe there is hope, but realistically everybody we got from AA on down is nothing more than a prospect no matter what they do against A or AA players. If they are tearing it up, well, that’s different. Who is? Every average I see up there (but ‘cept Abreu)is very pedestrian, especially for the minor leagues.

If we could trade Lambo for a guy who could actually hit Major League pitching – who would do it?

• Ken says:

I seem to remember the same hype on this web site that some of us voiced our doubts regrding his “September 2009″ call up. 2010 maybe.

3. lawdog says:

Manny has become a good singles hitter. He should just concentrate on getting hits and take the walks. That’s all we’ll need from him if Ethier, Kemp and Loney show up. But Manny definitely needs to stop striking out on high inside pitches or breaking balls on the outside part of the plate.

Maybe something can be worked out in the off season for Roy Oswalt. I think Loney is from Texas so it could be a match made in heaven with Oswalt talking his way out of Houston. Berkman can move to the Outfield. Just a thought.
    I’m not sure if something is wrong with Bills or not. His velocity is down, could that be a sign of arm trouble? I don’t know. With six guys in the rotation, maybe Bills should get shut down for a few weeks. Haeger needs a good game today. We could use a win against the Reds. GO BLUE

5. lawdog says:

Bills looks like he has a dead arm to me. Hopefully he’ll work through it. If Haeger pitches a shutout today, maybe he’ll be our “ace” from here on in.

6. SpokaneBob says:

I see Haeger being on our staff as long as he can keep throwing the dancer for strikes. If not as a starter, he would make an excellant reliever, being able to pitch almost everyday with the ability to pitch multiple innings if needed.Seems like the perfect long man to me.

I hope he can baffle Votto and the Reds today.

LawDawg,

Bills looks like he has dead head to go with his dead arm. He is turning out to be a first half pitcher and isn’t there when we need him. Honestly unless something turns around with him how can he be in the rotation in a short series. I would feel better about going Wolf, Kershaw, & Charlie Knuckles (in any order) before I throw Chad Penny out there. Then you have Kuroda(who was money last year in the playoffs) & Padilla they have to be in the mix for a starter spot too.

We need Chad. We need him to be the Chad he can be. Or we need Chad to sit down.

Peace fellas,

Go Charlie Knuckles!

8. SpokaneBob says:

Reading yesterdays posts made me want to go back to 1959.

Summer days filled with learning golf at the local pitch n’ putt course, baseball practice, collecting baseball cards for a nickle a pack and trading them with friends. Listening to Vinny every night was a perfect ending for the day. No worries about money, politics or anything else.

Law Dog

Kuroda is pitching a simulated game today which means I was absolutely correct about Haeger being put into Kuroda’s spot in the rotation. Those who hope for Haeger are now forced to hope against Padilla. Pure Stockholm.

Mark Please do not believe everything that you hear from LUCY. Do you not see the subjective “out” in his quote – That is a standard technique of deceptive persons.

Manny’s swing reminds me a lot of the terrible swing that Martin had months ago. Will we be watching baseball or Skeet shooting today? PULL.

Ace Meter Update:

Haeger 2.21
    Wolf 3.06
    Kershaw 3.33
    Kuroda 3.44
    Billingsley 3.48

Padilla 4.20
    Weaver 4.22

PS Mark I agree Free Pierre

11. Mark Timmons says:

1. I still believe that Andrew Lambo will be a very good player. Here’s the scoop on him: He rose through Rookie and A ball to AA and tore it up at every level. He tore up AA for about 6 weeks this year and then started to live on his press clippings. He now has to realize that it’s hard to be great, but easy to me mediocure. He’s going to the AFL this fall and while his stats are down, he has had a decent year by Southern League Standards. In 460 AB’s he has 11 HR (13 leads the team) and only 13 playes in the entire league have more HR (did I mention that this is the Southern League?)! He is hitting .259 with a .417 slg% and is 3rd in the league in doubles with 38. I think he’s a kid who needs to grow up a little and I believe he will be a force!

2. I see no drop in Billingsly’s velocity. He was 93-96 on his fastball over 30 times and was throwing 95 in his last inning.

3. That’s not a “dead arm” that’s a dead-head!

12. Kay in L.A. says:

Look at the grip! That’s why Vinnie calls it in truth a “fingernail ball.”

Billingsley needs a scrip for anti-depressant.

All the postgame chat was about the guy who is impersonating Manny. All are losing patience. I noticed during last homestand he gets booed at Chavez Ravine as well as on the road.

I say play him and make him train hard, sweat the crap out of his system. Get some hits and stop striking out. I can live with that.

Why trade Loney? He is one of our lowest paid players, still auditioning for a better contract.

WOW. No Hitch. Compact Swing. HR to Right Field. WOW

Why trade Loney? Because maybe Adrian Gonzalez wants to play for a winner.

I have been a Loney advocate for a couple of years now, but this year he just looks – wrong. Maybe it’s just one year, but this guy should hit .300 with 25 and 100 every year.

Atta boy Manny.

Well that lead didn’t last long.

Haeger looked great right up until he didn’t.

16. Mark Timmons says:

Look, I would love to see Charlie Haeger be the second coming of Fernando, but doing well with a knuckleball in AAA and in the majors is a whole another thing. That’s why there are few knuckleballers and that’s why they generally are around 30 (or so) when they make it.

I’m not ready to give up on him, but he’s probably out of the rotation, for now.

• Southpaw says:

Geeez, one bad inning and he’s out of the rotation???? Joe was smart to keep a short leash on him, but he should still be in the rotation based on his earlier work.

He looked great the first two innings, then it looked like he lost his release point. Oh well. Stuff happens.

This looks like it could be a high scoring game. Hope not really. 5-4 would be fine with me.

18. Guest says:

I would have to believe that Charlies spot in the rotation is safe. Kuroda threw a simulated game with his arm but his head wasn’t in it[he was behind a screen]. If and when Hiroki can do it mano de mano then Charlie may lose his spot dependent on Padillas work. Lets save a few of these runs until tommorow.

19. Kay in L.A. says:

Like I told you, Weaver comes in handy. Bobblehead Manny is back; glad I voted to keep playing him.

Today, the Big Blue Wrecking Crew lives again, hopefully tomorrow too when Kershaw the 2009 So Young Award Winner starts.

Haeger gave Torre his excuse to dump him. Hopefully Kuroda will start next on the 8th. Weaver & Pierre Co-MVPs.

• Southpaw says:

Reply to Ken;

re; “Haeger gave Torre his excuse to dump him”

Let me see if I have this correct……Haeger threw 9 consecutive shutout innings (7 last start and two today), two 7 inning quality starts (St. Louis, Chicago), and now because he had a single bad inning, you think Torre has his excuse to dump him? I seriously doubt that they would “dump him”. I think he will stay in the rotation. He deserves to be there based on his last two starts and his season in AAA

• matt says:

the way he handles stults, i wouldnt be suprised if he dumped him either… if torre dont love you, yyou are outta here

Or 11-4. That would be good too.

If we could only believe the sticks are back. Do it a few times in a row.

We always hit a #5 pitcher. The bats come alive against the bottom of the barrel guys. We need this kind of a hitting attack against the top of the rotation guys once in a while.

Once Haeger gets behind in the count, his stuff is very hittable. I think he gets one more start and then becomes the middle relief guy if Kuroda can rebound.

Why trade Loney? Because he’s playing a position typically held by players that hit the cover off the ball. We don’t need a defensive 1st baseman. I hope he changes everyone’s minds over the balance of this season. I’m rooting for him.

Hudson saved the game for us today. If he doesn’t make that defensive stop to end the inning with bases drunk, who knows what would happen. Abreu doesn’t even touch that ball. We need O-Dog back next year. I don’t consider him an injury waiting to happen any longer. He’s proven his worth and durability.

Weaver has come up big for us this year, I must admit our reserves are far better this year then over the last few years.

We need to leave town with a victory again tomorrow, anything less will be a disappointment.

So much for Haeger being our ace. It’s time for Kershaw to take the reins starting tomorrow.

The announcers were saying Billingsley’s velocity was down yesterday. Either Mark or the Dodger announcers have their facts screwed up. Will the correct person please stand up??????

That’s all for now. Go Giants. (just for tonight only)

23. Guest says:

Hey, it’s all good man [and Kay]. I believe our goals are the same although our strategies on the path to fruition may vary. Chalk up another W, ka-ching! Juan is REALLY, the man. I want the Yankees. Sweet dreams in LaLa land. :o

Haeger pitched better than Cliff Lee tonight. Any talk about Lee being sent to the bullpen? Haeger probably gets one more start in the competition against Padilla until Kuroda comes back, hopefully not too early.

25. Mark Timmons says:

Billy, on C-Bill’s Velocity, I am merely reporting what Gameday says. I would take their word over the announcers.

Hey guys, I am joking (well, with Torre it could be True) about Haeger getting moved from the rotation.