Wolf Has Been Better Than Adverised…

Wolf Has Been Better Than Adverised…
  • 5th in the NL in innings pitched with 162 (only 10 behind the leader)
  • 18th in strikeouts in the NL with 123
  • ERA – 3.43
  • WHIP – 1.14

Sounds like a pretty good pitcher and actually he has been our most consistent pitcher since the start of the season.  Solid, not spectacular and a pretty good hitter too.  Too bad he could have gotten that triple so he would have hit for the cycle.  Props to Joe Torre for batting Kemp at leadoff and Andre 3rd.  Props to Andre for some very timely hitting.  Props to Matt and O-Dog for igniting the team.  Memo to Joe: Leave the lineup the way it is and bat the SS 8th!

The Knuckleballer

The Knuckleballer

Today, knuckleballer Charlie Haeger starts against the Cards.  Fast forward to August 24, 2009.  Here’s the headline on that date:

Charlie Haeger beats Orel Hershiser’s record of scoreless by pitching his 7th consecutive shutout and now owns the scoreless inning record which now stands at 63.

Charlie stated, “I have to thank Joe Torre for starting me seven consecutive games.”  Joe responded “Tomorrow we will demote all the pitching staff and call up only position players.  Charlie has it covered the rest of the season.”

I hope he wins today or Lawdog may do himself harm…

Dodger News:

• I guess Scott Elbert was held out of a start in care he is needed this week.  Don’t hold your breath, Scott.
  • I would think Kuroda will miss at least one game, maybe more.

Minor League Recap – 8/16/09 Complements of Jared at http://thinkbluela.blogspot.com/
Albuquerque won 5-2

Tony Abreu – 1 for 4, RBI, 2 K’s, E (.344 BA)
Blake DeWitt – 0 for 3, BB, K (.251 BA)
Chin Lung Hu – 0 for 3 (.281 BA)

Chattanooga did not play
Inland Empire lost 5-0

Scott Van Slyke – 0 for 2, BB, 2 K’s (.291 BA)
Steven Caseres – 1 for 2, BB (.267 BA)
Preston Mattingly – 0 for 3, K, OF Assist (.233 BA)
Jovanny Rosario – 0 for 3, 3 K’s (.000 BA)

Justin Miller – 7 IP, 9 Hits, 5 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 2 K’s (5.63 ERA)

Great Lakes lost 4-0

Jerry Sands – 0 for 3, 2 K’s (.220 BA)
Alfredo Silverio – 0 for 3 (.282 BA)
Mario Songco – 1 for 3, 2B (.159 BA)

Nathan Eovaldi – 3 IP, Hit, 0 R, 3 BB, K (3.50 ERA)
Ethan Martin – 3 IP, 3 Hits, ER, 2 BB, 2 K’s (4.15 ERA)

Ogden won 6-4

BCG – 1 for 4, 2B, R, K, SB (.340 BA)
Nick Akins – 1 for 3, HR (2), 3 RBI, R, BB (.222 BA)
Blake Smith – 0 for 4, 3 K’s, OF Assist (.200 BA)

Brett Wallach – 3 IP, 2 Hits, 0 R, BB, 5 K’s (4.67 ERA)
Steven Ames – 2 IP, 2 Hits, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K’s (0.89 ERA)

AZL won 10-3

Jonathan Garcia – 2 for 4, RBI, 2 R, BB, SB (.292 BA)

Dan Danielson – 5 IP, 5 Hits, 2 R (1 ER), BB, 7 K’s (3.51 ERA)
Bolivar Medina – 4 IP, 5 Hits, R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K’s (2.23 ERA)

Player of the Day – Steven Ames, RHP

A 17th round pick out of Gonzaga, Ames spent the spring as a starter, posting a 3.91 ERA with 70 strikeouts and 21 walks in 96.2 IP. After signing, the Dodgers moved him to the bullpen and he’s had the most impressive debut in the class of 2009. Steven’s fastball sat 89-92 in college and it’s conceivable that he may have gained some velocity in relief, which would explain his insane 33 strikeouts in 20.1 innings (14.6 per 9). He’s also displayed excellent control, walking just 4 batters. A pitcher putting up these types of numbers in the Pioneer league is extremely impressive, so hopefully Ames has found his niche in the pen and can rocket through the Dodgers’ system.

50 Responses to “Wolf Has Been Better Than Adverised…”

1. I Miss The 51's says:

I cannot tell you how excited I am tonight to watch this game. I might even be more excited than when Kershaw made his first start ever… mostly because the anticipation was so high when Clay pitched that everyone was going crazy… but that up and coming young star making his first start and being compared to great pitchers happens pretty regularly

This was a mediocre pitcher who had to reinvent himself and is now getting his first chance…. and I’m really excited to see how he pitches.

Besides, who doesn’t want to see a knuckleballer pitch?

My prediction for tonight…. very entertaining!

Right on Mark – If you consider Wolf’s ERA, WHIP, and Innings per Game he IS the Dodger’s Ace. (1) Wolf, (2) Kershaw, (3) Kuroda, (4) Bills, (5) Weaver. (According to a Double Secret Formula) Will Haeger replace Weaver???

Looks like Charlie Brown is getting ready to kick the football, being held by Lucy, again!!!

It could be worse – It could be Tomko – See Oakland v. Yankees game tonight

Haeger – Even four runs in 5 innings would be better than Smoltz or Schimdt. Got to LOVE Law Dog’s passion!

Instead of an over/under on innings how about an over/under on pass balls.

3. MNQ says:

MNQ Manager

Kemp – R
    Hudson – S
    Either – L
    Rameriz – R
    Blake – R
    Loney – L
    Martin – R
    Furcal – S
    Haeger – R

Loney, Martin & Furcal have been the 3 weakest hitters for both the entire season and the month of August

Bring up Stults & DL Kuroda (Common Sense – cf. Mets), Bring up Elbert and DL Troncoso (Sore Arm)

Relievers available today – Belisario, Broxton, Mota, Kuo, Sherrill, McDonald, & Weaver

Relievers not available today – Mota (No Back-to-Backs the remainder of August), Troncoso (Sore Arm),

Closer today – Broxton. If Broxton Blows, then put him on DL for his Toes (Put him on the I Pitch Every Other Day No Matter What Schedule to determine if IT is his arm/head/discipline or toe)

If Haeger is bombed:
    Reliever to put out fire – Belisario
    Long reliever – Weaver

4. I Miss The 51's says:

you have Mota available and not available

5. I Miss The 51's says:

I thank my lucky stars everyday that MNQ isn’t really the manager of the Dodgers.

6. MNQ says:

No religion allowed on this site especially Pagan worship!

I could manage this team.

In fact, anyone here could manage this team.

How many lineups have we seen since the beginning of the year? I think every one that was presented here has been used. As for the bullpen, who didn’t work yesterday works today.

I would have tried Haeger before now, but, he is getting his chance and it’s against a damn good club. Should be interesting.

GO Pagans! I mean… go Dogs!

From the Times;

The problem, according to Broxton, is that he’s not locating his fastball as well as before.

“I’m not spotting my fastball like I was early in the season,” he said. “You fall behind in the counts, throw a lot more pitches. I just got to pitch through it.”

I wonder if Broxton is worried about pitching inside for fear of killing somebody? IMO, (and if I was manager I tell him) he needs to take the inside corner away from opposing hitters and do it right away. Nobody is going to be diving after his fastballs if a few of those 98 mph gas balls are under the hands.

9. I Miss The 51's says:

I respectfully disagree with anyone who says they could manage this team or any team. I know I couldn’t and I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about baseball.

Is lucky stars pagan?… I worship the leprechaun on the Lucky Charms Cereal Box.

He’s just like the Dodgers…. magically delicious. I bow to the yellow moons and green clovers and the white knucklers…

Charlie Haeger you are free!!! Now go get a job and start contributing!

It’s absolutely great being a Dodger fan!!!

It’s easy Miss – here is how you do it:

Bullpen:
    Belisario
    Weaver (long)
    Kuo
    Sherrill
    Broxton

If the whole thing falls apart:
    Troncoso

See, easy peasy. A cave man could do it.

11. Blue Haze says:

Druids hate golfers!

Wait a minute 51, Badger didn’t say he would win as manager, he just said he or anyone could manage this team.

Should be fun to see the catchers try and deal with Haeger, however, don’t look for many passed balls. From what I hear, Haeger actually has a great deal of control of his knuckleballs (that sounds wrong, doesn’t it?), while I haven’t looked at his stats on WP or PB (which i’m sure someone will) I think I read somewhere that he doesn’t have a Charlie Hough knuckleball (throw it and just watch were it falls), he has a true ability to somewhat control it. The strange thing is, like most people who have played the game, all have developed a knuckleball to throw to the person they are warming up with, often resulting in bruises and laughter during warmups, and I have never known anyone who could actually control it. Typically the knuckleball bows to no master. I would love to see Haeger prove this to be a myth.

This guy is throwing that butterfly at a strike zone the size of of box of Wheaties. If he couldn’t control it, he wouldn’t be starting tonight.

Hey Haze, are you saying my lineup wouldn’t win? I deg to biffer!

13. MNQ says:

Badger

Opinion – I like your overall thinking but I like my lineup better than I like yours.

Discussion – Why would you bat Loney ahead of Kemp? My position is that Loney is terrible at Dodger Stadium, good on the road, in a slump, and I would not put the tortise in front of the hare.

Blue Haze – Is everyone who hates golfers a Druid? Hugo Chavez is attempting to ban golf in Venezuela, so what does that make him?

14. Kay in L.A. says:

Leave my Loney alone!! Enough is enough:-)

Tonight we will grandiosely allow Joe Bigelow to decide the lineup.

Now!! Smoltz released: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/08/report_smoltz_r_1.html

15. Blue Haze says:

Badger, I was defending you and your statement, you simply stated anyone could manage the team, and that is what I addressed. Your lineup is as good as anyone Torre has put out there (or Blue Haze or MM or DRomo…)

MNO, of course druids hate golfers, don’t be silly. Golfers hit errant shots into the trees, thus pissing off druids.

Badger, you played, don’t tell me you didn’t throw a knuckler in warmups? (if so, you would be the only one that I know of). No one really knows where it is going, except possibly to the backstop.

16. Kay in L.A. says:

More here: http://www.scoresreport.com/2009/08/15/is-john-smoltz-worth-the-risk/

“Before the trade deadline, the Dodgers acquired Orioles closer George Sherrill for next to nothing. He’s currently being used as a setup man for Jonathan Broxton. After being so dominant at the beginning of the season, Broxton is now struggling, and the Dodgers are in need of another reliever familiar with high-pressure situations. This is where John Smoltz and the Dodgers make sense. When Manny Ramirez was suspended earlier this season for steroid use, he had to return $7.7 million of his contract to the Dodgers. This money could be used to sign the veteran pitcher.”

17. Blue Haze says:

Just say no to Smoltz. Smoltz is toaltz, there isn’t enough butter or jelly to make him otherwise.

However, it is time for a role change in the bullpen, Broxton has earned his way out of the closer role.

18. I Miss the 51's says:

Badger and MNQ…

I stand corrected. You never said you could win as a manager… you just said anyone can manage a team… but obviously being successful is important and I will readjust and say that noone here could be as or more succssful managing this team than any current manager in the majors.

You’d find sitting on the outside and playing here’s what I would do with the lineup is easy than doing the exact same thing inside a clubhouse.

I’m sooooo pumped for this game. I so want him to be the answer to our starting pitching.

19. MNQ says:

Hopefully Haeger impresses tonight so that we do not have to watch Tomko, I mean Smoltz, pitch for the Dodgers. Besides the only pitching coach that might have the ability to fix Smoltz is Duncan.

Then again Smoltz may appear to Frank to be almost Free! I wonder whether signing Smoltz might result in lost revenue?? Ned, hire the CBO to cost out the consequences of this potential transaction.

Regarding Loney whomever messed with his swing should have left him along.

Haze, yep, I had a nasty knuckler. It was two fingered kanuck that I snapped off with some speed. When it worked it dropped off the table. When it didn’t, it rolled up there with “hit me” all over it.

MNQ, your lineup is fine. I just threw that lineup out there. I did it for the L-R combo. Loney isn’t on base 65% of the time, so, he won’t interfere with the hare much. He is a better hitter than he has shown, and has gap power as does Kemp. So, when Loney is on base, Kemp gets to hit a pitcher who is in the stretch. It’s all good with our guys. Throw a dart at the names and this team could score runs.

I happen to believe managing is more than just filling out the lineup. My problem would be dealing with the egos. You are paid enormous amounts of money to play baseball so, shut up and play. So, in that regard, maybe I couldn’t manage this team.

But, if all I had to do was fill out a lineup card, I could do that.

21. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

But could you take the heat from people like you… and me.

22. Mark Timmons says:

Ausmus Gets The Cal Over Martin:

1. Furcal, SS

2. Hudson, 2B

3. Ethier, RF

4. Manny, LF

5. Blake, 3B

6. Kemp, CF

7. Loney, 1B

8. Ausmus, C

9. Haeger, P

Nice Lineup. Hold on and watch the E ticket ride.

24. Mark Timmons says:

Hide all sharp objects in case Charlie loses, so that Lawdog can’t injure himself!

I must admit, tonight is going to be exciting.

I bet Lawdog has a front row seat in front of the tube….. With a few cool ones at his side. You go Lawdog…. Great Call

Ken, your showing your age with the E Ticket comment. I said that the other day and no one knew what I was talking about. Disneyland has changed things around now I hear.

Its beat an Ace night for DRomo, and I told you so, maybe ya’ll believe me now for Lawdog.

I am teflon Mark. I have heard it all.

Ethier looked a little surprised. But, that ball was not hit very well, and he should never have attempted to move up. You do not make the third out at third base.

I’m a believer!

And by the way, Ethier was safe.

32. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

That’s what I was going to say. You stole it from my mind.

So far, this feels like Fernandomania. Lawdog looks like a genius and I look like a dumba$$! I hope Charlie keeps it up!

Haeger days are here again,
    The skies above are clear again
    Let us sing a song of cheer again —
    Haeger days are here again

It feels like a college crowd cheering when the 12th man white guy came of the basketball bench for the first time about 20 games into the season

If you get hit with a knuckleball, do they award you 1st base? Doesn’t seem fair…..

35. Mark Timmons says:

Billy,

If you get hit with a knuckleball (you are a moron who should not be in MLB), you get to try and hit the pitcher with the same ball. Kind of like dodgeball rules.

36. Mark Timmons says:

This is really fun.

Cliff Lee?

Roy Halladay?

We don’t need those stinkin’ guys. We have Haeger!

uh, oh… the wheels are falling off!

37. Mark Timmons says:

Did someone say Raffy wouldn’t dive?

Who said Furcal doesn’t dive anymore?

Can we get 4 shutout innings????

Might be a good idea to start that pitch at the belt, not the letters. These guys are going to get on that pitch if he leaves high in the strike zone. This ain’t AAA.

All together, shout it now —
    There’s no one who can doubt it now
    So let’s tell the world about it now
    Haeger days are here again

Your cares and troubles are gone —
    There’ll be no more from now on!
    Haeger days are here again,

43. I Miss the 51's says:

Haeger!!!!

Haeger!!!!

Haeger!!!!

You Rule!!!

I’m working and watching this game at the same time..and I’ll tell you… I’m having a hard time concentrating on work. This is soo awesome.

Better than I could’ve expected….

I hope Joe lets him go 8 or 9..

Let’s go Charlie!!!

44. I Miss the 51's says:

Haeger days are here again!!!!!

Much better than Schmidt ot Smoltz. Congrats to LawDog for his reporting and promotion of Haeger!

Carpenter is a REAL ace.

Wish we had one.

Haeger did just fine. So did the pen. It’s our bats. We looked weak, again.

47. matt says:

hudson ethier manny kemp blake loney martin pitcher furcal

this is the best lineup in my opinion

furcal has the worst OBP among all our regulars so why should he lead off. its not like hes fast and steals bases. after the first inning its like hes leading off still. we cannot give furcal the most at bats by putting him first. it takes away at bats for kemp manny and ethier