What Did Colletti Tell Torre?

What Did Colletti Tell Torre?

manny-torre-collettiRumor has it that after Tuesday’s extra-inning loss, the reporters were not allowed into the Dodger clubhouse for quite some time as Ned Collottimet privately with Joe Torre.   What was said?  Look, Ned could have called Joe or had a beer with him later, but he chose to come to the clubhouse and talk to Joe right after the game.  I am sure it was a case of “kick the cat” in that Frank McCourt had already reamed-out Ned and so Ned kicks the cat and reams-out Joe Torre.  We’ll never know what was said, but I guarantee it wasn’t cordial!  I am sure that Joe is on notice that he has to win or he is history!  That’s a good thing!  Being in a comfort zone right now does us no good.

TJ Slimers of The LA Times is on Don Mattingly in today’s paper.  This has been my concern for quite some time.  We have 4 veteran players who are having their worst hitting seasons in quite some time (or ever) – Hudson, Martin, Loney and Raffy.  What role does Donnie Ballgame have in this?  We have 2 hitting coaches in Pentland and Mattingley.  Is that a problem?  I am losing confidence in Donnie.  I mean, his own son is in his 3rd year in A ball and can’t hit above .235?  What does that tell you?

RANTS & RAVES:

• Randy Wolf is 4-0 with a sub 2.00 ERA his last 4 starts.  This guy has ben amazing for us!
  • Here are a few stats that I stole from Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts which are very interesting:  (1) Clayton Kershaw had 15 consecutive starts without giving up a HR, which is the longest in Dodger history; (2) Since the July 31st trading deadline, the Dodgers team ERA is 3.30; and (3) Even though the Dodgers have a sub-.500 record for August, they have outscored opponents 103-80, meaning that their timing was bad.
  • One of the Rockie announcers said that when Kemp first came up, he asked Grady Little about him and Gardy said “This kid has the talent to be the best player in the game.
  • George Sherrill was not available on Tuesday due to an oblique strain, so all the second-guessers just didn’t have all the info Torre did.
  • Raffy is down to .253 with a .319 OB% – Joe what does it take to replace him as leadoff hitter?  He has a .319 OB%!  He can’t leadoff.  Russ Martin is a better choice and he steals more bases!  I think I would give Raffy a 2 or 3 game rest and try Abreu at SS.  Abreu is not the defensive equal of Raffy at SS, but he’s not chopped liver either.  Rumor has it he can hit…
  • Andre Ethier is in THE ZONE, this guy is becoming a monster.  I predicted 30 HR/100 RBI and .300 from him this year, and as he matures, I can se 40 HR out of that bat.  You can see his confidence building…  This is a guy Ned needs to wrap-up long term.
  • James Loney is simply not transferring his weight as he swings.  Look how awkward he looks at times.  That was a big HR last night, but his struggles aren’t over yet!
  • The Dodgers are again #1 in ERA in MLB.
  • Expect Kuroda back at the first of next week.
  • Could Jason Schmidt be DFA’ed today to make room for Padilla?
  • Padilla goes this afternoon and hopefully Haeger has his back.  Be ready, Charlie!

Minor League Recap – 8/26/09 by Jared of http://thinkbluela.blogspot.com/minorleaguerept-logo

Albuquerque won 6-2

Chin Lung Hu – 2 for 4, 2B, R (.289 BA)
Blake DeWitt – 1 for 3, HR (6), RBI, R, BB (.245 BA)
Jamie Hoffman – 0 for 2 (.282 BA)

Chattanooga lost 7-3

Lucas May – 2 for 4 (.300 BA)
Andrew Lambo – 2 for 4, R (.259 BA)
Trayvon Robinson – 0 for 1 (.179 BA)

Chris Withrow – 5 IP, 6 Hits, 2 ER, 0 BB, 5 K’s (4.84 ERA)
Javy Guerra – 1 IP, Hit, 0 R, 0 BB, K (3.91 ERA)

Inland Empire lost 7-6

Scott Van Slyke – 0 for 4, BB, K (.288 BA)
Preston Mattingly – 2 for 4, 2 R, BB (.239 BA)
Steven Caseres – 2 for 3, 2 HR (15), 5 RBI, 2 R, BB (.262 BA)

Tim Sexton – 5 IP, 8 Hits, 7 R (4 ER), 4 BB, 4 K’s (3.50 ERA)

Great Lakes lost 5-1

Kyle Russell – 1 for 4, 2 K’s (.272 BA)
Jerry Sands – 0 for 4, 3 K’s (.219 BA)
Alfredo Silverio – 0 for 4, 2 K’s (.274 BA)

Ogden lost 7-6

BCG – 1 for 4, HR (14), RBI, R (.336 BA)
Mario Songco – 0 for 4, 2 K’s (.341 BA)
Nick Akins – 1 for 2, R, 2 BB, K (.246 BA)

AZL lost 6-5

Ivan DeJesus Jr – 0 for 2, R, 2 K’s, HBP (.000 BA)
Jonathan Garcia – 1 for 3, 3B, 2 RBI, R (.304 BA)

Bolivar Medina – 4.1 IP, 7 Hits, 6 R (5 ER), BB, 2 K’s (2.89 ERA)
Amauri Guzman – 1.2 IP, 4 Hits, 0 R, 0 BB, K (3.38 ERA)

Player of the day – Steven Caseres, 1B

After 2 mediocre months to start the season, Caseres broke out in June with an incredible .418/.512/.806 line. He smashed 6 home runs and walked 14 times in 21 games. But now, it looks like a mirage as Steven has fallen hard back to Earth. His average plummeted to .235 in July and he didn’t hit even 1 home run. It’s dropped even further in August to .132 and his OPS is a miserable .522. His problem is his complete inability to hit lefties (.141 BA). He’s been great against righties, posting a .914 OPS against them. But he’ll have to hit southpaws to prove himself more than just a platoon player.

27 Responses to “What Did Colletti Tell Torre?”

Interesting take on Mattingly. Those who can, do, those who can’t, teach. Donnie could do, maybe he can’t teach?

I suspect Ned told Joe something about making hay in September. We need home field for the play-offs.

As much of a Raffy fan as I am, I agree he needs to sit. Since we don’t really have another lead-off hitter, might as well see if Abreu can do it for a few days. If he can, terrific. If he can’t, Raffy could use a few days off to think about things.

Good take on Loney. I was talking with another cyber hitting coach on a different site and we both agreed – Loney was stepping in the bucket and his weight transfer was all wrong. Ichiro can get away with that, James cannot. I thought he should just lift his foot up and set it right back down, but, I’ll take the 4″ if it’s toward the pitcher. Perhaps that is all James needed? Hope so.

Good win last night. Wolf has been amazing. Padilla today. Should be interesting.

Haeger, those games played in L.A. – I’ll take the Dogs in two of them and be nervous about that. I just don’t like the idea of going up against Carpenter and Wainwright. They seem to know how to pitch to us. Here’s hoping we light it up in the next 30 days. If we do, we can beat anybody.

• A Shot of Haeger says:

Trust me Badger…. I understand your concern… I don’t like playing against them either. Both of them are top notch! but everyone was saying the exact same thing last season in the first round against the Cubs and you see what happened. I’m not saying the Cubs starting pitchers from last season are the equivalent of the Cards this season…. I’m just saying don’t underestimate the umph of this team. They may not score 10 runs against those pitchers… but I’ll take 3 or 4

As far as Furcal goes… taking off my irrational fan hat for a moment, I agree he needs to be taken out of the leadoff spot…. He just needs a couple day off. He’s getting older..he’s had a long season considering last year was injury filled…. he may just be tired or his skillset id declining. I really hope he’s tired.

2. dodgerdodger says:

The roster moves I see happening today is move Schmidt to the 60 day injury list. This will make room for Padilla on the 40 man squad. Then they’ll screw Abreu by moving him to Alb until Sept 1, so we will
    not see Abreu replacing Furcal any time soon.

3. Tyler says:

Actually the Kemp comment was made by Rich Donnelly(sp?). After stating what Rich had said, that Kemp had potential to be the best player in the MLB, the Rockies announcers quickly stated that they didn’t agree, and that was a too extreme.

4. lawdog says:

It wouldn’t take that much of an improvement in Kemp’s play to start Willie Mays comparisons. He needs to hit about .340, strike out less and hit as many homers as Ethier and he’d look a lot like the say hey kid.

Ethier is the second coming of Duke Snider. He’s always had that swing and has Duke’s arm. Snider wasn’t as fast or as good with the glove as Willie in center, but he was close. And that left handed power swing with the .300 average. Duke’s lifetime average (with a couple that really smelled at the end) was .299. In his prime he was good for 40 homers and a .325 average.

Watch that idiot Torre send Haeger back to Albertquacky today to make room for schmidt, that #@$%%#@&%$!!!

Kemp
    Hudson
    Ethier
    Manny
    Blake
    Loney
    Ausmus
    Castro
    Padilla

Schmidt to 60-Day (I feel a song coming)

Abreu to ALBA

Some people say Schmidt was made out of mud
    A Starter’s made out of muscle and blood
    Muscle and blood, skin and bones…
    A mind that’s weak and an arm that’s gone
    _________________
    Chorus
    You pay sixteen million, and what do we get?
    another day older and on the disabled list
    Ned, don’t you call me, ’cause I can’t play
    I ruined my shoulder before my first pay day
    __________________
    I was born one mornin’ and the sun didn’t shine
    I picked up my wheelbarrel and I walked to Ned’s office
    I loaded sixteen million of Frank’s Gold coins and
    Ned said, “well bless my soul!” …..you loaded…
    (Chorus)
    __________________
    I was born one mornin’ it was drizzlin’ rain
    sleepin’ and doggin are my middle names
    I was raised in a cane-brake by an old hamster
    can’t no high-toned owner make me walk no line
    (Chorus)
    __________________
    If you see me comin’, better not give me a contract
    A lot of GMs did, a lot of Owners cried
    One arm of marshmellow, the other of apple sause
    If the right one don’t cause you to laugh, then the left one will
    (Chorus)
    __________________
    You pay sixteen million, and what do we get?
    another day older and on the disabled list
    Ned, don’t you call me, ’cause I can’t play
    I ruined my shoulder before my first pay day

7. lawdog says:

You’ve got the start to a great tune their Ken! We need to get the Dodger bullpen to sing the chorus. Kuroda could sing the lead with his best bass voice and japanese accent.

If you want to compare the swings of Duke Snider to Hank AAron, I found this old footage on GoTube. Snider was over the hill and the tape is incomplete. It shows that Aaron is a stand up hitter and used his wrists more than his hips to muscle the ball like Venice said. Snider looks just like Ethier only with a slightly more closed stance. He steps towards the pitcher as he prepares to turn on the ball. This leaves him in position to slam an outside fastball out of the part to left center by not turning his foot on his weight shift as well as turn on an inside pitch and hit it to the normal power alley for a left handed power hitter..

I rmember watching this on tv when only 3 channels were available one saturday afternoon when i found it on by pure chance. Since the Duke was my childhood hero–you never saw a happier 9 year old watching the tape–or an unhappier kid when Hank eventually beat him by 1 home run in the bottom of the ninth inning on “Home Run Derby”–the silly show which was the forerunner to the silly all star home run hitting contest.

Here’s the link. Enjoy! If anyone finds part 2, let me know!

• Ken says:

I thought that Snider’s biggest batting tip was to think of your back foot as squishing a bug when your rotate.

8. lawdog says:

Ken–I have taken the liberty of doing a little light editing. What do you think?

Sixteen tons for disabled goods

Some say Schmidt’s body was made of mud,
    ‘though a starter’s always made of muscle and blood.
    He had muscle and blood, skin and bones;
    But his mind was weak and his shoulder all blown.

CHORUS
    Frank pays 16 million and what does he get?
    A man who only gets older and is disabled yet.
    Coletti don’t call me ’cause I can’t play
    I blew out my arm before my first pay day.

I was born one mornin’ and ‘course the sun wouldn’t shine
    I picked up my wheelbarrel and drove into the mine
    I loaded up millions of Frank’s precious bread and
    Then watched Ned feint ’cause my arm felt dead.

Chorus

I was born one mornin’ it was drizzlin’ rain
    life’s been easy, doggin’s my middle name;
    I was raised in a cane-brake by an old Texas League swine,
    can’t no high-rollin’ owner make me walk no line!
    (Chorus)

If you see me comin’, take your contract and hide;
    A lot of GMs didn’t, a lot of Owners then cried
    The arm’s made of marshmellow, my head’s over the hill.
    If the shoulder’s rollin’ don’t get you, then my lazin’ round will

Frank pays 16 million and what does he get?
    A man who only gets older and is disabled yet.
    Coletti don’t call me ’cause I can’t play
    I blew out my arm before my first pay day.

9. lawdog says:

Either “Sixteen tons for Disabled Goods” or “Ode to a Swine”

10. Mark Timmons says:

I see why the Dodgers signed Padilla. He hits 96 MPH and is consistently around 92-94. Starters like that don’t grow on trees.

• Ken says:

Too many fastballs in the early innings. He did about the same as Weaver could have, and about half as good as Haeger. Hopefully he will do better next outing.

Is Mark the only one paying attention to the game?

Padilla looks ok to me. But then, I am seeing him on Gameday.

Ethier goes from All World to Circle K’s in one day. Oh well, somebody else’s turn. Kemp?

Anytime Manny.

12. lawdog says:

Padilla looked better than average with his heat and Euphus pitch–to go with a hard slurve. Looked a lot like Bills except he throws much harder. He throws harder than any other starter on our roster. Now if he can stop losing it every time someone gets a hit…

I’d like him to teach that Euphus pitch to Broxton.

Padilla pitched well enough to make Ned’s job harder becasue the Dodgers at at the 40-man limit and there is no romom for Kuroda. It is probably time to wish Repko good tidings in the next week.

The Rockies might pick up the Bad Penny over the weekend. There goes their season.

Padilla the winner, 3 holds and a save.

A statement game. 4 game lead.

I feel a little better, but still, only 3 runs? Where’s the whoopin’ sticks?

15. Blue Haze says:

Yeah, it would have been hard to imagine such low scoring games in Coors Field a few years ago. Remember the football scores that Piazza and Karros teams used to put up there? They certainly changed the games there since beginning to use the humidifiers on there balls (get your minds out of the gutter!).

So the sky is not falling after all, the Dodgers leave town on a 2 game winning streak against their closest competitor, having gained another game in the standings. Not too bad, not too bad, now what the hell did Colletti say to Torre?

He was asking him if he wanted to pick up Penny.

Or Ned was asking Joe if anyone on the team would car pool with the big dummy if they decided to pick him up. We don’t need the jackass in blue again. They would have to sew two uniforms together in order to fit him anyway. Has anyone got an update on Kuroda? When will they try him in a game situation again?

Broxton came up big today after Raffy just about gave the game away in the 9th. Take the sure out Raffy, or flip the ball to Hudson. I have no finger nails left…..

18. lawdog says:

Broxton was hitting 102 mph with his fastball, 93 with his slider (which had excellent snap and drop) and 91 mph with his change (which looked like it dropped about 24 inches, rolling off the end of the table.) The man was pumped!

If Torre insists on using him for more than one inning like he did with Riviera, he’ll burn his arm off at the shoulder socket in a couple of seasons the same way.

19. lawdog says:

See Manny and Ned’s reaction to the idea of Bad penny returning to LaLa Land in the picture Mover set at the top of this thread??

20. Kay in L.A. says:

What did Ned say to Joe Bigelow? Any leaks?:)

Can anyone recommend print publications to me for following baseball? I used to read Baseball America, or something like that, a long time ago. What is the “bible” these days?

Whoa, that was nail-biting cliff-hanger this afternoon, esp. the last 2-1/2 innings. Furcal really f’ed up. Anyway, Kuo and Broxton were throwing hard. As lawdog notes, Broxton clocked over 100; I felt he was in the zone. Good on him. Hope he finally got his head together.

What is Padilla’s performance today vs. Haeger’s thus far. I suspect Haeger’s was better.

Loved it when Loney smashed it last night. Monday said it was bat speed that did it; not sure about the stance. I was only listening, not watching.

Bill, who is the “big dummy” you’re referring to? They are going to do a simulated game with Kuroda this weekend, using a screen. I have no idea what that means. LOL!!

Dodgers hopefully are out of Dodge by now…

21. Mark Timmons says:

Kay,

1. Baseball America and their Prospect Handbook (I have it back for years). I think it’s about $79.95 a year, but it includes their website, which is also great.

2. Dodgers.Scout.com is also good and they send you a Prospect Magazine (which is OK). It’s $79.95 a year too

3. Sporting News which includes daily e-mails – aboyr $27.95 a year.

4. Dodgers Magazine – about $39.95 a year and worth every dime.

5. Dodgers Media Guide – $19.95 – MUST HAVE!

I also buy all the baseball preseason magazines.

Check out the Dodger Info link at the top of the page and my links page.

That should give you everything to be smarter than me (99.6% of the population are already there).

Oh, also try the Bill James Handbook!

22. Mark Timmons says:

Plus,

Spend a week or two at Camelback Ranch. You’ll learn more there than anywhere….

23. Voldomer says:

Great win today, and excellent series. Amidst all the doom and gloom–and after Tuesday’s heartbreaker–they come up big yet again (like in that Giants series earlier) and leave town in even better shape.

Padilla was a good pickup. Let’s hope he keeps his head together.

Speaking of exploding heads, in the Chicago area, it is amazing that the Cubs fans are only now realizing that signing Milton Bradley was a bad idea.

As streaky as Ethier is, he might end up with 40 homers THIS year. He’s at 27, and 13 in a hot month+ is not unthinkable for him.

If anyone had told me before the season that Furcal would only have 7 fewer homers than Manny entering September, I would have suggested getting a head start on engraving his MVP trophy. Imagine what this team can (will?) be if Furcal, Manny, Loney, and Martin were having average years? They might be pushing 90 wins already.